Stopped Smoking

• Thread starter Mr P
  • 94 comments
I've been smoking less than a year and I'm not hooked. How hard is it to stop?

Don't kid yourself it takes every bit of will power and more.Less than a year you say, try and keep it that way forever.

I'm in the process of quitting as well, it's nice to know that there are a few others with me.

I had decided during this semester at school that once I got home for Winter break, I'd quit cigarettes. There was no way that I was gonna quit during school since I had so much stress, but with everything relaxed during winter break, I thought that it would be pretty easy.

So I haven't had a cigarette since the 22nd now, longest I've gone in 2 years.

I was up to a pack a day when finals week came around this year, but I was surprised that it actually wasn't too hard for me after the first 3 days.

I also found that exercising more helped me get over it more quickly. I had about 20 packs of gum strewed all over my room to get over my cravings though. Good luck with quitting you two.

Well this was four years ago now and I'm up to a pack-pack and a half a day. I don't think I've really tried to quit since then, but I'm a miserable bastard if I go a few hours without a cigarette. Quit while you still can, Danny when it's still a casual habit, that's how it started for me, but it wasn't long until I got hooked.

I guess there are some lucky people who can have a cig every once in a while and not be hooked, my girlfriend is like that, she'll have one or two when we're out drinking or something but 9 times out of 10 she won't touch them. She's been doing that for 5 or 6 years now too. Unfotunetely she's the exception and not the rule. I was hooked after a few months.

It really depends, I've been smoking off and on since I was 18 and I don't really feel as if I'm hooked. I can go a couple weeks with out a cigarette but I'll be out with some people and smoke 4 or 5. When I was in Europe last summer I smoked quite a bit (as it seemed to be the norm, especially in Spain), although once I got back I was fine.

I think quitting really depends on your personality and how your mind is wired. For some it's just a matter of not buying cigs and boom you've quit, but for others you really need to work at it. I have a buddy who's tried to quit for 3 years now and has been unsuccessful.

Back