But today I feel human again, thankfully! :D

Thanks for asking :)

ps: nice avatar 👍

lotus350
I am feeling much better today! days 4 and 5 were just terrible :yuck:
But today I feel human again, thankfully! :D

Thanks for asking :)

ps: nice avatar 👍

Day 4 and 5 can be a good reminder of what you put yourself through when you did smoke. ;)

Yep day 7 now and still no cigs 👍

Just a shame i'm worried badly about what happened last night :scared:
I started coughing last night a very rough bout of coughing indeed and I coughed up some blood not pints of it! but enough to worry :crazy:
That would be just my luck though! I stop smoking and then I end up contracting something like Cancer 👎
I'm hoping that it was just simply that I was coughing too hard and somehow managed to cause a small open wound inside my lungs 💡 If it happens again then I'm off to the doctors and then off to write out my will :grumpy:
has anyone else coughed up blood through coughing too hard? I'd love to hear yes to that 👍

Scarey **** it is! ... coughing up the old life source :scared:

Laters.

The coughing seems to be part of the quitting process:

"Millions of tiny hairs called cilia designed to clean air passages begin to work again and clear away residues acquired by smoking"

Dunno bout the blood though. But since smoking gives somewhat of a constant bronchi inflammation it could be perfectly normal too because of the fragile mucus membranes you got in the airways. Anyway if it'll continue to happen consulting a doctor is probably the way to go.

One week. Very well done both of you. 👍

Your Day 8...are u still coughing up blood?..I tend to agree with the earlier post stating it may just be the inflamed bronchial thing healing.

If u are...I recommend a Dr's visit...just to be safe.

good job guys. There are alot of kids who think theyre ahrd asses in my grade because they smoke. Even though I dont know you , glad you quit.

Well, what can I say?

I am weak, I am sorry. Yes I'm back on the fags, not badly though I've had 1 and 1/2 cigs in 2 days :embarrassed:

My reasons? ... well my reason is being a non-smoker was making me miserable and horrible, I was being a right cow with the kids, and crying every 10 mins, I forgot how to smile :(

My mum says I should have tried to do it with some NRT or something and that I shouldn't have done it the cold turkey way. I will see my doctor for some help and try again in the new year, until then I'm going to keep my smoking down to a bare minimum.

Ron is still doing great and not gave up on giving up like me 👍

I know I'm hopeless and yes I'm ashamed, I've wasted everyones kind words and thrown it back in your faces, I'm sorry and I hang my head in shame.

lotus350
Yes I'm ashamed, I've wasted everyones kind words and thrown it back in your faces, I'm sorry and I hang my head in shame.

Don't feel ashamed. You gave it a good shot and it didn't work. Worse things have happened you know. ;)

Anyway consult your doctor about wellbutrin/zyban (bupropion). It's an antidepressant which is said to reduce cravings. Seems to work well for some ppl.

No shame at all. When I first tried to quite chewing/smoking I was so afraid of NOT having that can of chew laying around. The mental obsession was out of control. I opted to try "The Patch" to help me though it. Long story short, that didn't work. By the end of the week I was wearing 6 patches, chewing, and smoking. The point is, I guess when your REALLY ready to quite you can do it. You have to do it for yourself, and you have to feel good about it. The next time I quite I never looked back, no mental or physical withdrawals. I can't explain it, but when I was ready to quite, it was relatively easy. There are a lot of options to help you with both the mental and physical obsessions, and I hope your doc can help guide you in a safe solution.

Keep your head up, and keep them cigs away from Ron.... ;)

~Cheers~

I'm in the process of quitting as well, it's nice to know that there are a few others with me.

I had decided during this semester at school that once I got home for Winter break, I'd quit cigarettes. There was no way that I was gonna quit during school since I had so much stress, but with everything relaxed during winter break, I thought that it would be pretty easy.

So I haven't had a cigarette since the 22nd now, longest I've gone in 2 years.

I was up to a pack a day when finals week came around this year, but I was surprised that it actually wasn't too hard for me after the first 3 days.

I also found that exercising more helped me get over it more quickly. I had about 20 packs of gum strewed all over my room to get over my cravings though. Good luck with quitting you two.

So, how did it go for you, Lotus and Mr P?

I'm bringing up this thread both out of interest in that and that I'm currently trying to quit smoking myself.

Been smoking for 7-8 years and the reason for trying to give it up is:

- My taste and smell senses are pretty weak
- It doesn't taste as good as it used to
- Smoking is now banned at restaurants and clubs. It's pretty nice you can wake up after a night out without smelling like an ashtray.
- It is boring. Didn't use to be.
- Every time I inhale the smoke it feels like I get a kind of negative energy, it pollutes my body.

I won't be giving up nicotine though, been using snus for about 5 years and I have no plan atm to give that up too.

So, results so far is that the past week I've been smokefree 3 days. The other days have been 2-3 cigs. One pretty much instantaneous effect I noticed is that I have much better stamina on those days without smoking. In my summer job I ride bike for about 30-40 kms a day and the difference is striking.

I even used to smoke while biking. :lol:

Wish me luck. And better breath. ;)

My dad is an accountant and one year during "tax season" he had a heart attack and had to have a double? bypass. Ever since that time he quit cold turkey and hasn't looked back.

Recently, my aunt had a semi- heart attack? (I guess it wasn't full blown?). She had a stint put in and supposedly has quit smoking since.

Me, never have never will... hate the smell and don't know how anyone starts.

GTJugend
So, how did it go for you, Lotus and Mr P?

I'm bringing up this thread both out of interest in that and that I'm currently trying to quit smoking myself.

Been smoking for 7-8 years and the reason for trying to give it up is:

- My taste and smell senses are pretty weak
- It doesn't taste as good as it used to
- Smoking is now banned at restaurants and clubs. It's pretty nice you can wake up after a night out without smelling like an ashtray.
- It is boring. Didn't use to be.
- Every time I inhale the smoke it feels like I get a kind of negative energy, it pollutes my body.

I won't be giving up nicotine though, been using snus for about 5 years and I have no plan atm to give that up too.

So, results so far is that the past week I've been smokefree 3 days. The other days have been 2-3 cigs. One pretty much instantaneous effect I noticed is that I have much better stamina on those days without smoking. In my summer job I ride bike for about 30-40 kms a day and the difference is striking.

I even used to smoke while biking. :lol:

Wish me luck. And better breath. ;)

We failed miserably :nervous: It's a hard habit to break, I do intend on getting something from the doctor to help me before I try again. I'd love to quit, it is smelly it is disgusting and I hate doing it, but obviously I'm addicted and addicted badly :guilty: I wish you a load of luck on quitting!! 👍
One day soon in the near future I will be bragging that I'm a non smoker and reaping the benefits of being more healthy and less smelly :)

At least you're still looking for ways to quit. You will nead a lot of willpower whatever solution you choose though, an addiction is an addiction. I haven't touched a cigarette since I left school, I only had them then becasue it was "cool" but fortunatly I never got addicted and was able to stop using them easily. My aunt though had been trying to quit for years she's been a smoker for 30, she touched her last cigarette in September last year and I haven't seen her light up since. It's a good thing to look forward to, bragging you're a non smoker and the feeling of beating the habbit, I can't use personal experience but thats how my aunt feels.

So good look on you're quest to keep trying, and also good luck GTJudgend, I just noticed you're post there 👍.

lotus350
We failed miserably :nervous: It's a hard habit to break, I do intend on getting something from the doctor to help me before I try again. I'd love to quit, it is smelly it is disgusting and I hate doing it, but obviously I'm addicted and addicted badly :guilty: I wish you a load of luck on quitting!! 👍
One day soon in the near future I will be bragging that I'm a non smoker and reaping the benefits of being more healthy and less smelly :)

Thanks. :)

Actually I think it smells pretty good when someone else is smoking. :) But not the breath you get after, it's horrible.

Yes, it is a hard habit to break. Very hard. As you certainly know, for many smokers, including myself it is in many ways a coping-strategy. The hardest cigs for me to give up are the ones when I'm stressed at work. Damn, the urge can get really strong there. But when I'm at home I rarely even think about smoking.

Sucks to fail at something such noble as quitting smoking, huh? Just don't let yourself down. I'm very careful of not blaming myself for the days I've been smoking even though I'm quitting. In the long run I know I do my best and if it includes quitting smoking, it's fine. If not, that's also fine.

Have you thought about alternative ways for stop smoking? Hypnosis, acupuncture? It could be something worth checking out if you're desperate and everything else fails.

Thanks to l4s too! Good to hear you never got hooked and stopped at an early stage.

I've been smoking for around 10 years now. I know i should give it up but I really don't want to.

The addiction is so strong and I can't imagine life without it. It's very hard to explain, but when people say "dude, why dont you just give up". It's like saying why dont you stop breathing for a while?

It really is very difficult to give up.

Kids, DON'T SMOKE!

After about 8 years of smoking I quitted for about 5 months but I came back. I'd never thought I would, but I did.
And the strangest thing was that I restarted smoking, not because I had to, but because I wanted to.

I really love to smoke. It gives me so much pleasure.

Having said that, I still intend to give up one day.

Good work on giving up.

Your save so much money not smoking.

Why don't someone just ban smoking all around the world then that may get people thinking.

Because that would lose the goverments A LOT of money they get from cigarette tax.

Ive gave up on trying to give up smoking - sometimes its so bad as, i wont smoke for an entire week mon-fri the on friday night (drinking night) i'll start again when im in the pub or at someones house drinking.

If i give up fags i'll have to give up drink otherwise i wont be able to quit! ive smoked for around 2 years and i can tell the physical effect on my health it has, and it scares me - i used to be fit as hell not i am not!

No one in my family smokes and i feel uncomfy sitting next to them at the dinner table as i smell of smoke and they probably dont like it too much!

Stopped smoking huh? Congratulations man. I know those urges can be pretty strong. I figure I'm not going to bother quiting until I get married, and not have a kid til a year after that, because I figure I need to be clean if the kid is too.

Back