T500 RS - 1.09 Update (Discussion)

• Thread starter Kaelsberg
  • 227 comments
Not sure what you wanted to write there, but I am aware that it does not feel the same for everyone.
A friend who also uses the T500RS, is still struggling. On the other hand, he never experienced the violent shaking in the La Sarthe seasonal with the Toyota Hybrid, while my wheel behaved exactly like the one in the clip earlier in this topic.

I would have expected that all T500 wheels would have had the exact same issues, but clearly they act different upon changes...:confused:

Hmmm, interesting that the T500RS community here is so divided about the current FFB state, compared to pre-1.09, GT5, Logitech/Fanatec wheels, etc.... I wonder if the differences are related to T500RS hardware, firmware or other factors?

I own a recent (December 2013) T500RS, still on firmware 41 (since I don't see any reason to update it just for compatibility with a rim I don't own).

My experience of T500RS in GT5 was predominantly smoothness with mostly centering forces. You could feel bumps and rumble strips fine, but they were relatively light. You could use a single setting for FFB to handle all cars in game quite comfortably - no need to switch settings except for the crazy open wheelers. The lack of oscillation on straights was a breath of fresh air compared to my DFGT, G25 and Fanatec GT2 wheels.
GT6 at release felt much more like a PC sim with bumps, rumble strips and car weight forces being far more easily felt, and less powerful centering forces. But GT6's original FFB also brought a big variation in FFB weight depending on the type of car: FWD cars felt weak and pretty bad even at high FFB, faster RWD cars would need lower and lower FFB settings. And the implementation was a bit notchy somehow (not quite sure how to explain it, I would sometimes feel a bit of rattle which I'd never expect on a belt-driven wheel). Still, GT6 felt a lot more "mature" FFB than GT5, at the expense of losing some of that smoothness.
After 1.09 the FFB feels to me almost identical to PD's Logitech implementation: Far greater focus on centering spring, less prevalent bumps and weight transfer, but worst of all center oscillation. On the one hand the FFB "quality" subjectively feels lower, but on the other hand the increased centering forces do help to correct oversteer easier than before.

I understand PD's implementation giving center oscillation in their Logitech implementation, it is basically the same as running a G25 on the PC with 107% FFB to override the deadzone which you get when you set FFB to 100% or lower. The benefits of reduced deadzone outweigh the annoyance of oscillation and many PC G25/27 simracers make the same choice. But there's no reason for having center oscillation for the T500RS: It's basically just incorrect configuration by PD, and really needs to be toned down.

I guess most of us would be relatively happy with the GT5 implementation if PD no longer wants to give us the original GT6 implementation back. But leaving T500RS support effectively using the Logitech implementation is not OK.

Last edited:
Seems like I picked a BAD time to switch from ds3 to the T500RS...

I was wondering why I couldn't land even a single proper drift, and the automatic centering spins me out a LOT.

Think I might start using my dads G27, drifting is not the same now. You can't feel the car gripping up anymore after a drift it just snaps back much to soon. Transferring from one drift to the other basically just feels worse of then it did before the update.

Last edited:
:banghead:

...thought I would load GT6 to see if there was an update HOPEFULLY to fix the last. Reading through this thread I see my excitement is for naught! :nervous:

It's sad, real sad, I spend a boat load of cash on a wheel w/ GT6 logo on the box and....well, w/ in just a few weeks w/ the 09 update it's useless! ...and it seems I'm waiting for 1.10 to install for nothing.

:banghead:

So for some wheel time it's been GT5 Nürb 24h racin' and picked up a used copy of F1 12'. Wheel works great in both...get w/ it PD!!!

I just bought a T500RS. And I am very satisfied, it is the day and night with the G27.

No problem, I hope it will continue like that.

I spent a plenty of hours racing GT6 with the T500RS in the last few days and I'm actually going to revise some of my previous statements. The oscillation is still not necessary and could easily be removed, but with cars with firmer suspension there's plenty of feel to understand what the car is doing and react.

Perhaps it's very car dependent, but in the cars I tried in the last few days I was actually pretty happy with the feel. In fact, I was very impressed with some (the S2000 was a lot of fun and the R8 LMS Ultra had a lot of feel and nuance to it, to name a couple).

If they tone down the oscillation and slightly reduce the centering force the end result would be very decent.

WHY don't they just give us force feed back options ? Each of us could solve our own issues. There is no excuse and this type of issue plagues consoles to this day with pc always getting tons of options in almost every racing title for various force feed back adjustments.

New update only 30mb.. Doubt anything will change.

Also very good idea turdhat!!!! Maybe on the next game that could happen.

Letting aside the subjective part, how do you know it is:

1.Unrealistic
2.May Damage the wheel
3.There is something to be fixed

I understand that one thing cannot please everyone, some people will not like it and others will. But to leap from something subjective like an opinion, to something objective like you did, takes at least a justification.
He is totally right. If you ever driven you will realise a wheel doesn't start shaking violently in a straight line for no reason. They completly stuffed up, a faulty design made worse by ridiculous force feedback. Not to mention using the silly Ferrari wheel add on is a complete failure. God help you if you think the screw on the wheel serves a function.

Every car in my garage needs to go back to the dealers under warranty!!! They all STILL have a HUGE slack zone in the centre of the steering that causes the car to go into uncontrollable tank slappers. Maybe the car dealers will fix it because it doesn't look like PD are going to.

He is totally right. If you ever driven you will realise a wheel doesn't start shaking violently in a straight line for no reason. They completly stuffed up, a faulty design made worse by ridiculous force feedback. Not to mention using the silly Ferrari wheel add on is a complete failure. God help you if you think the screw on the wheel serves a function.
screw on the wheel ?

I just bought a T500RS. And I am very satisfied, it is the day and night with the G27.

No problem, I hope it will continue like that.
Thanks mate, been looking for a valid opinion.
Couldn't quite justify the investment at this late stage.
Might go grab one tomorrow, really getting sick of trying to play
"pin the spinning up shift paddle on the G27".
Do you use spinning paddles on T500, if so, any more useable than G27?

I did a back to back comparison of GT5 and GT6 yesterday, which brought home rather unpleasantly just how much we've lost since the 1.09 update.

I urge anyone who still owns GT5 to have a go and experience the difference. For instance around the Nordschleife. FFB feels so much better in GT5: I could feel the road surface much better, I could place the car much more accurately without that annoying overpowered centering force and could relax on straights without the stupid oscillation.

I really hope the next patch reverts us back to the original T500RS FFB. GT6 has lost much of it's appeal for me since the change.

I did a back to back comparison of GT5 and GT6 yesterday, which brought home rather unpleasantly just how much we've lost since the 1.09 update.

I urge anyone who still owns GT5 to have a go and experience the difference. For instance around the Nordschleife. FFB feels so much better in GT5: I could feel the road surface much better, I could place the car much more accurately without that annoying overpowered centering force and could relax on straights without the stupid oscillation.

I really hope the next patch reverts us back to the original T500RS FFB. GT6 has lost much of it's appeal for me since the change.
Instead of aimlessly waiting round for PD to fix some imaginary problems,
wouldn't it be much quicker and easier for you to learn car setup?

Impressive answer. Utterly irrelevant to my comments in every way, but there you go :)

The world is no doubt a happier place for you having typed those two sentences in....
You guys are fabricating the rules, it's your agenda, I was just playing along.
Don't want to play anymore?
I just gotta not bump wrong thread titles, easy, hardly have to think...

Back