Take-Two Agrees $1bn Takeover of Codemasters

• Thread starter er185es
  • 79 comments
Spain
Spain
(Reuters) - British videogame developer Codemasters Group Holdings CDM.L said on Friday it had received a buyout offer from U.S.-based videogame publisher Take-Two Interactive Software Inc TTWO.O for 485 pence per share.

Codemasters, which is known for its Formula One games for the Playstation 4, added that the deal term, which values the company at 739.2 million pounds ($973.01 million), comprises of 120 pence per share in cash and 365 pence per share payable in Take-Two shares.

Codemasters’ shares were up 8.6% to 470 pence at 1640 GMT, following the announcement. Take-Two’s shares were up 2.9%.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...veloper-codemasters-for-973-mln-idUSKBN27M2D7

So the racing game industry has more or less been monopolized by Sony, EA, Microsoft by way of T10/Playground, and now Codemasters, after solidifying their position as one of the monopolizers, now shacking up with Take Two.

Who else is left that is independent and hasn't been bought out? Kunos?

So the racing game industry has more or less been monopolized by Sony, EA, Microsoft by way of T10/Playground, and now Codemasters, after solidifying their position as one of the monopolizers, now shacking up with Take Two.

Reiza is still independent I think. Kunos has been bought out but they're still operating like a small developer (at least so far).

It's always inevitable though. With each new generation the development costs keep rising, so it makes sense for companies to merge and share costs. Just like the automobile industry. It would be fine if quality stays the same, but when they start to favour quantity and profit over all else that becomes a problem.

MXH
If the buyout goes through, I can see CM follow 2K’s suit. Mediocre rehashes filled with shameless surprise mechanics.

*Press F to pay respects*

They're pretty much already doing that now.

Last edited:
A studio capable of making some great games but also tends to be a bit greedy is (potentially) buying a studio capable of making some great games but also tends to be a bit greedy? Sounds like a match made in developer heaven/hell!

Although I guess it could be worse, it could be EA buying them. :scared:

Also, perhaps this will lead to a certain club being revived. :dopey:

Here's it is, the brand new DiRT Rally 3.0!

You get one circuit (the shortest one) and one car (probably one that nobody cares).

You can only do 1 stage. To drive through the whole event, you need to buy the DLC FULL STAGE!

Other circuits are sold separately for $30. Oh, they're also divided by surface. So it's $10 for tarmac, another $10 for pure mud and $30 for snow.

Damage is only visual. If you want actual damage model, that's gonna cost ya $40.

Each car is also sold separately, for $60. Group B is an exception: you can buy them all in one pack, for $100!

Co-driver is not present in the base game. You need to buy the DLC "****** advices i say for rally drivers", which is only $10!

And finally, if you Pre-Order RIGHT NOW, you can get a free slot to save your game! *base game does not include saves slots for career mode*

There's also the ULTIMATE BLASTER SUPER HYPER MEGA SPECIAL GOAT EDITION, that comes with absolute nothing and cost twice the price because people are going to buy it anyway.

We gonna release a Day 1 patch, that doesn't fix absolute ****, just to make sure that every upgrade you get for you car is a ******** of lootboxes. Oh, and there's no paint or liveries. You have to buy that too.

Enjoy our "brand new" DiRT, made specially for you: the assholes who keep buying whatever poop we put in the market players!

Double post incoming.

Codemasters has reached agreement with Take-Two and expects sale to complete early next year
Take-Two says Dirt firm will be “highly complementary to our sports portfolio”

Following the deal’s completion, Codemasters will run within Take-Two’s 2K label under its existing leadership of CEO Frank Sagnier, CFO Rashid Varachia and the rest of its senior management team.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-and-expects-sale-to-complete-early-next-year

Godspeed, Codemasters.

Genki (although they're dormant)? 704Games? Studio 397?

Being under the 2K label pretty much rules another Midnight Club out of the question. I am also not in the slightest looking forward to F12K21.

I don't even wanna think about it, I remember buying NBA 2K16 for the first time and seeing the VC system...

Imagine having to fork out VC for cars, tracks and parts while also having to see a commercial for Popeyes before the race starts...

I don't even wanna think about it, I remember buying NBA 2K16 for the first time and seeing the VC system...

Imagine having to fork out VC for cars, tracks and parts while also having to see a commercial for Popeyes before the race starts...

Yup, trying to remain cautiously optimistic and think it’s a huge shame as Codemasters were one of my favourite racing game studios going back to Colin McRae Rally on the PS1. Given how the next F1 and DiRT games go it could be the last time I play those titles if Take-Two monetise the **** out of the games to their own financial gains (which, let’s be honest, is the very likely scenario).

I wonder what the Darlings think of that.
tumblr_mt6nfwk1sh1siso9jo5_250.gif

Given all of the licensed cars in Codemasters' games, I'm now wondering if the Sabre and the Admiral have seen their last heists...

Hmm, I don't see how this can be good for Codemasters.

I thought they were doing fine recently. Not all their games were great, but there was definitely enough good stuff there to be excited about. Dirt Rally 1 was great, F1 2020 is probably the best all-round F1 game ever made, Dirt 5 looks pretty good in a relaxed and fun sort of way, and I still really like Grid Autosport. Even their "bad" games are pretty playable, just either uninspired or an attempt at something that didn't quite work out (looking at you, Dirt 4 and Onrush).

I hope Take Two doesn't stomp them into the same grey gruel that Activision stomped Blizzard into.

Back