Takuma Gaiden II: Road to America (Pt. 2) - Page 31: LFA's Song

• Thread starter RCKakashi14
  • 1,053 comments
Page 8: Stealing My Thunder

While Hiroyuki-san and his brother are having an old man chat over there, Owen is putting pressure on to Ravenwest. I don't care who our opponent is, either...

22448343017_684c7bbaf9_c.jpg

22432401159_dce6a2e216_c.jpg

Ridley: "I wonder though, if Andy's here.

22853220482_f933e8376a_c.jpg

Ridley: "No use thinking about it! There's only a few laps left!"

22448374708_8d983ca6db_c.jpg

Owen: "Shoot! He's brake checking!"

22245563943_a8ba929db8_c.jpg

Owen: "Keep yourself together, you bugger! I don't want Andy seeing this in the junk heap!"

22448342807_11ef20cef4_c.jpg

Ridley: "Amazing recovery. I expect nothing less from the Dream Alliance indeed. Still, it's no fun that Andy isn't here."

It's the final lap, and it seems that Ravenwest lives up to their reputation. You're not bad. Just make sure you guys make this trip worthwhile.

22840719856_0b18bfd800_c.jpg

Owen: "I may not be Andy, but I am just as tough! I'm going to leave a bitter aftertaste."

22448342497_0e6c322d6f_c.jpg

Ridley: "I'm wide open!"

Owen: "American Muscle cars always show their quirks. Sorry to say, but they will always be inferior from a European thoroughbred sports car."

22678718690_16ef40e57b_c.jpg

Owen: "Looks like I'm not going to stay with you and have fun. I'm not Andy, after all. I'll finish you off."

22448374138_4c9dbdab13_c.jpg

Ridley: "Should I scream "Bloody Hell" for this one? He's really good! He's more than just a substitute..."

22448342107_d4927ddb1a_c.jpg

One point goes to Dream Alliance, then. Sorry Ravenwest, your winning streak here is officially tarnished.

Hiroyuki: "Well, looks like we won today."

Ryuji: "Hmph! Congratulations."

Hiroyuki: "I hope to see more of you. I missed that face for the longest time. Ta!"

It turns out, Andy is watching the race in his room, still down with fever. He still holds on to his ice bag on his head. His ex, Melissa, takes out the thermometer from his mouth.

Melissa: "Let me check here... 99.6. Go back to bed, if I were you."

Andy: "The first step towards my glory is taken away."

Melissa: "Seriously? I think that's the Paracetamol talking."

Andy: "This stupid fever ruined my day. Nothing could be much worse."

Melissa: "You shouldn't have been working too much on that construction of your shop. You've hired architects and engineers, so let them do all the work. You have committed yourself to the team, am I right? You have so much to work on.

Besides, there is always next time. I believe in that. Why not use it to get that "glory" of yours?"

Then his smartphone vibrates, to which Melissa notices. She then gets it and shows it to him.

Andy: "Eh? Takanori-san?"

He gets it and places it on loudspeaker as he puts on the table instead.

Takanori: "Hello? Hey, Andy! I heard you won."

Andy: "Send your regards to Owen. He drove for today."

Takanori: "Eh??? Why?"

Andy: "Just as I'm having a good start, this fever took all the fun away."

Takanori: "Too bad. Well, I'm heading to your place tonight to check you on. Besides, I am here because Hiroyuki-san summoned me. I'm showing you my car which we will use for a future race."

Andy: "Your car? Interesting..."

Takanori: "Hiroyuki-san also listed our team in an organized drag racing tournament, just to increase our presence more in this country. You know the bad rep we got lately, right? It's time to bounce back."

22866711305_b75a83f2e7_c.jpg

Andy: "Drag racing. Haven't done that in ages. But hey, I can teach you the tricks of the trade. Bring your car in."

End of Page 8

Page 9: Sweet Deal

Time: 12 pm, the next day

Last night, Takanori was able to pay a visit to Andy and presented the car they'll use for their drag racing venture in the months to come.

Andy approves of it... seemingly.

Now, his body temperature has lowered, but still not the normal. The next race is to be held next week, so he still has a lot of time to rest.

He is at the kitchen, preparing a lean chicken breast fillet which he'll put on the skillet later on. Whilst chopping the meat, he suddenly hears a doorbell ring.

He reaches for it. And to his surprise, it's Ryuji Hiramoto paying a visit.

Andy: "Mr. Ryuji?"

Ryuji: "Ah, Andy. I'm here to check up on you."

It turned out that Ryuji once sent his old Shelby GT350 for Andy to restore. The Ravenwest chief finds Andy's work a stellar one.

Ryuji: "How's your shop doing? You know, I made the right choice of sending my GT350 to your shop a year ago. I'll never forget your work."

Andy: "Uh... it's nearing completion."

Ryuji: "Seems like it. And does your boss know about your current condition?"

Andy: "I'll let him know in the afternoon that I'm doing okay, that I can definitely run in the next race."

Ryuji: "Ah. I see. You know, I came here for something more important. As I can see, you're not that active lately. Haven't you even felt that you're being left out? Those races in Europe and Japan, aren't you feeling a hint of jealousy?

You know, I'm an avid fan of your restoration work. And, it's just normal for a fan to get concerned."

Andy's face suddenly shifts into a more serious tone as he sits down. Ryuji simply walks around while explaining.

Ryuji: "You know, I'm the brother of your boss. And out of all people, I am the one who knows him the best. Of course, I lived with him under one roof since childhood. Ever since he got into racing, he's the one-man show. He even quit from the very team that gave him the jump start. Such ungrateful act. After our parents have passed on, he took it upon himself that he should be a better person. He believes that he should fend off all by himself,and that dependence is simply a weakness. Now, haven't you realized why aren't you moving up? He'll probably abandon you since America was, at one point, his pet peeve. He's seen you as the dependent one, waiting for orders like a dog. Was he even the one who took the call, the day you got sick?"

Ryuji then reaches for his wallet, then takes out his calling card. It's a black one with the Ravenwest name and logo. Underneath is Ryuji's phone number.

Ryuji: "I can give you a much better life under my wing. And as a bonus, I'll even have a hand in completing your shop. I want my classic race cars to be restored by your hand. Do you know, that the salary of a Ravenwest driver is half a million dollars... per race? No need to wonder why your good friend Ridley has a home in Beverly Hills. Do not rush. Let me know when you have decided."

Ryuji then straightens his jacket and walks away to leave. But just as he is about to turn the knob on the door...

Ryuji: "Since you're going to call my brother anyway, I trust that you'll keep this conversation between ourselves."

When the door is shut, Andy stands by, thinking of the recent events. His sickness, the team being defeated numerous times in a streak, and the fact that he'd been idle.

Andy: "It's a deal hard to resist... but..."

Andy simply crumples the cardboard made calling card and throws it in the bin.

Andy: "Mr. Hiroyuki finally gave me a purpose. I have to take this golden opportunity he gave me! He won't abandon me! Now's the time. I'm not worth half a million dollars! Dream Alliance is my family!"

He then reaches for the cordless phone and quickly dials.

Time: 1 pm, two days later

I've heard from Hiroyuki-san that Andy has gotten well, and now he's with us currently setting up his Shelby. However, while everything is in order...

...Hiroyuki-san isn't. In fact, yesterday he was already in a bad mood. I didn't ask why, but lately he's getting (sorry for the word) GRUMPY.

Oh look... Andy's done. He dons his helmet and storms off for practice. Wow, you recovered already? I like your stamina.

Andy: "I'll start the practice! I'm all set!"

Hiroyuki: "Good. You have the entire day and the track for yourself."

deal.jpg

deal_1.jpg

Then, just as I am about to approach Hiroyuki-san, the Ravenwest team arrives. Their trailer truck is parking beside ours.

There's Ridley, and another driver, and Ryuji helping the crew unload their Camaro off the truck.

Ryuji looks around, and he sees both of us. You'd better not approach your brother, old man. He's not in a good mood.

Ryuji: "Hiroyuki! Nice to see you here."

Hiroyuki: "Why did you bother showing up?"

Ryuji: "Of course! My team will be racing here too next week. Remember, you'll be seeing a lot of me here."

Uh-oh. Hiroyuki-san turns around, directly facing his brother in a foul mood.

Hiroyuki: "Heh. It only takes one..."

Ryuji: "One what?"

In a split second, Hiroyuki-san backhand slaps Ryuji! Ryuji staggered for a bit, but when he regained his stance, Hiroyuki punches him on the other side of the face.

Naturally, I have to restrain Hiroyuki-san. Ridley also came to his boss' aid.

Takuma: "Hiroyuki-san!"

Hiroyuki: "It only takes one, or rather two hits on to your face. I don't care how many teeth you'll lose nor the bones I'll break. I may have let your childishness pass by, but bribing Andy to join your team has crossed the line! Perhaps your soul and conscience have gotten worthless, that you have forgotten the true worth of a person.

Now you give me the real reason why I should not lose to a garbage like you!"

Before storming off, Hiroyuki stomps on Ryuji's shin! Oh boy...

Ryuji: "Owwww... ah!!!"

Hiroyuki: "I'm going in the caravan, Takuma. Please take care of everything for today."

Wow... so Ryuji bribed off Andy into joining Ravenwest? That's incredibly low and desperate, coming from a supposedly "elite" racing team.

Ridley: "We're sorry for this, Takuma-san..."

Oh, so you have the nerve to apologize? Don't be such an idiot.

Takuma: "And what? Everything will be okay, like this didn't happen? Sorry just doesn't cut it, poser boy. I thought you're as elite as you can be. It turns out I have overestimated you. We will not stoop down to your level, and we'll definitely crush you in your very own territory, just like every other racing team that crossed our path. Mark my words. It only takes one person to ruin your streak.

If you want to make up for this, THEN YOU'D BETTER DELIVER!"

End of Page 9

COMING SOON:

fordvsferrari.jpg

Page 10: Flooring It

Time: One week later

How awful and infuriating that some people think that skill and hard work can be bought by a sum, just to gain a step ahead.

And having witnessed Hiroyuki-san's wrath once again (I still can't get over the day he slapped Kazunori, hehe), our game has gotten more serious than ever. Our conquest in America will become more and more intense. If that is to happen just to get our groove back, then so be it. We have made footprints in race tracks around the world, and by doing so, it involved intense action and heavy drama.

A day before the race, we head to Andy's home. I see that his restoration shop is nearing completion. Meanwhile, Andy welcomed us and we all sit at the dining area. No need for snacks, Andy. We won't be here for long...

Hiroyuki: "I apologize about last week. I should have kept my cool instead, like I used to be."

Andy: "It's okay. I understand that."

Hiroyuki: "Our team has faced different kinds of challenges, even against the lowliest of people. We should not falter to any one of them. Andy, focus on your goal. Do not mind my issue with my brother. I'll take care of it someday. And you should know that we will always be at your side. We are a family. We will not abandon you. We will conquer over Ravenwest together."

Andy: "Thank you for always being here. I am to blame why I haven't got worked up. I didn't have the motivation and the initiative. I was so stuck with my past, that I didn't have the power to move forward. I took it upon myself to bring back Alan, but where is it?

But now, with how Ravenwest almost shattered my pride, I now know how to fight. I will fight for my future. It's time to kick butt. Let's do this, Takuma-san... and Mr. Hiroyuki."

I'm glad we have you back in the game, Andy. We will trample Ravenwest, and show who really are the most elite of drivers!

You will be the fastest racer in 'Murica. We'll make sure of it.

Time: 3 pm, the next day

Back to regular programming, I suppose. Our car is prepped, and so is Andy. Because of the incident last week, Ryuji is not present today. It goes to show how spineless he is. I pity the future of Ravenwest if this lingers.

It's just a matter of time before the race starts. Wait a sec, what is Ridley doing here?

Andy: "Ridley."

Ridley: "Andy, about last week, I..."

Andy: "No need for an apology. Make it up for today. That's all you need to do."

Ridley: "But..."

Andy: "...it's hard to take back that lost pride, isn't it? I'm not made of money, you know? The moment your boss handed over that calling card and blurted out that offer, my prude almost got crushed.

Now I have the real reason why I must not lose, even to someone like you. See you at the finish line."

floor.jpg

The race starts off well. And no mechanical anomalies to report so far. That's impressive considering how much abuse an old car such as Andy's Shelby will be receiving in today's race.

No wonder why Andy also takes part in tuning and setting up every car this team us, even the personal ones.

The grunt and the roars of his car are clear proof. Both the man and the machine are ready to take on the battlefield!

floor_1.jpg

But today, he's going to prove his mechanical expertise all by himself. And not just that, he will also rekindle his racing spirit.

floor_2.jpg

No amount of money can measure the true worth of a person. Success is worth a lot more than all the money that tycoons have. Just to let you know, the most successful people in the world started off with nothing at all.

Time to head back to the action. I wonder what's Andy planning?

floor_3.jpg

Andy: "Not bad. Ravenwest clearly has lots of funds. If they can pay me off to join them, then it's no surprise that they have the best mechanics at work, tending to each and every car with utmost precision and care."

floor_4.jpg

Andy: "That Camaro turns very well and soaks up the bumps nicely after the Corkscrew. I would have to admit how stellar the tuning done to your car, Ridley. Restomod parts are indeed praiseworthy."

floor_5.jpg

Andy: "But there is one party piece that can make or break this race, Ridley. It's that Holley supercharger installed in that Camaro."

floor_6.jpg

Andy: "The benefits of a supercharger clearly shows at the main straight. You have all the boost at the step of the pedal."

floor_7.jpg

Andy: "But a car with blowers, either turbo or supercharged, can't easily be floored through the corners. Plus, my Shelby has a 50:50 weight distribution, a rarity among old-school American muscle.

Now Ridley, can you floor it?"

floor_8.jpg

Ridley: "Shoot! Lock-up!"

Andy: "You're mine now. Soon, the entire Ravenwest will kneel."

floor_9.jpg

Andy: "You'll pay the price for insulting my ego. This will be the start!"

floor_10.jpg

Ridley: "He's within striking distance!"

Andy: "Think you can floor it in the Corkscrew? Only a few brave souls dare to!"

floor_11.jpg

Ridley: "Don't mock me, Andy! Sure, my boss has done something wrong, but don't rub it in too much!"

Andy: "Excellent defense there, Ridley. Back in our street racing days, you are known to be stubborn when you have the lead."

floor_12.jpg

Andy: "But because we were partners before, I KNOW YOUR EVERY MOVE! Sorry, this will not be your day."

floor_13.jpg

Andy: "Your supercharger spools up so much boost, that you can't floor it in an instant after cornering. Admit it, you're chickening off the pedal."

floor_14.jpg

Andy: "Farewell, and so does our friendship. I don't care if we become the worst enemies here. My future as a racer is at stake."

floor_15.jpg

Andy: "I'm no longer scared of you, Ravenwest. I used to watch your domination. Now, it's time to end it by my hand!"

End of Page 10

Page 11: Fire With Fire

Time: The next day

Ah finally, Andy gets the win he deserves. And mind you, it's an official FIA sanctioned race which means all eyes are on him. Enjoy the fame, but do not let that overwhelm and make you blind from reality. But of course he still has a long way to go.

On to the next business. Hiroyuki-san turned out to join an organized drag racing tournament. He said that there are a surprisingly amount of sponsors in the event. So that means it's legit. But we all have it covered, the car and the driver, of course. Andy will once again take the stage, but driving Takanori's NISMO GT-R since my twin insisted. Ugh... well, Andy admitted he doesn't have a car for the job.

Right now, I'm in a gym with Rob again. No martial arts sparring this time since my butt will get kicked again. But someday, Rob... you'll be at the mercy of the fighting bull! MOOOOOOO!!!

Just kidding. Also, I've seen Takanori's Instagram account, and shown that he had some MAD gains. I'm not gonna lose to him too!

Fine, I'll lift all day!

Oh wait... I feel my phone vibrating from the pocket. Hiroyuki-san is calling.

Takuma: "Hello?"

Hiroyuki: "Where are you? And what are you doing?"

Takuma: "Working out with Rob at the gym just two blocks away. Why make the call?"

Hiroyuki: "Summon both Andy and Takanori immediately after your work out. We'll have a meeting."

Takuma: "Understood."

Time: 4:30 pm

Andy and Takanori found the stretch of the road that will be closed off for the event. It's easy to tell since tents were already placed and giant sponsor brands are scattered.

First, Takanori gets behind the wheel. The Alpha 12 Nismo GT-R now has a bored and stroked 4.1 liter with two new turbos that generate 1200 horsepower. He believes that it's the perfect car for the task, which somehow doesn't sit well with Andy...

Andy: "Okay then. Floor it."

22570713319_659b2236fc_c.jpg

Takanori indeed floors it. But he plays the accelerator just for the wheelspin to be as minimal as possible. Andy just makes observations, and there is also a VBOX installed on the dashboard, measuring the speed in Miles Per Hour.

22774855620_c3bdb6923a_c.jpg

A slight judder can be felt at launch. After all, the power output is at four figures. But Andy saw it differently...

Andy: "That's a messed up launch. Four wheel drives can sometimes be tricky to nail a perfect launch. Takanori-san aims to avoid as much wheelspin as possible. But that's a misconception."

22949461512_3f7533a20f_c.jpg

Nevertheless, the GT-R already hits the 180 mile per hour mark.

Takanori: "Wooooooo!!! This is a missile! No wonder everyone sticks to GT-Rs in drag racing!"

Andy thinks otherwise once again...

Andy: "I'm afraid that's not the case. I have always humiliated GT-R fanboys when it comes to arguments."

As they cross the finish line, the trap speed is at 248 miles per hour before Takanori finally hits the brake pedal hard.

Andy: "248 miles per hour. We have a fighting chance here, but with that kind of launch..."

22974002111_2184d5a702_c.jpg

Takanori: "How was it?"

Andy: "28.9 seconds. But sorry to break this to you. You're bad off the line."

Takanori: "Eh???"

Andy: "If you simply floored it all the way, you have a good start. This is a four wheel drive car to begin with. No need to worry about snaking out on launch like a sidewinder. Let me take the wheel."

The two switch places and then return to the start line. Andy simply shows a smile.

Andy: "Good thing you asked me to tag along. Because I used to do this kind of thing."

Without any hesitation, he floors it. His right foot thrust on the pedal, then his right hand clicking the right paddle to shift up in an instant.

22949461282_6d859525fd_c.jpg

Takanori is pushed back.

Takanori: "What kind of launch is that?!"

The GT-R reaches the 200 mile per hour mark in an instant, thanks to the absence of the rear wing. Very little amount of drag can get in the way of this car's velocity.

22341687613_c4c03b8f2b_c.jpg

Thanks to Andy's expertise, the GT-R crosses the finish line in 27.4 seconds at 250 miles per hour.

22949461142_0399c10488_c.jpg

Andy: "That's how it's done."

Takanori: "Wow... that's over a second in improvement! I guess you'll represent us once again in drag racing. Americans are soooooo good at this."

However, it turns out that they're not alone...

22341688003_7f8c7601a6_c.jpg

22774856030_1dd5c80c48_c.jpg

A few revs to the engine emitted a high-pitched roar with hissing from the wastegate.

Then it slingshots off the line.

22570712289_d9fdcb3b05_c.jpg

22949460942_a2be035ca7_c.jpg

Time: 7 pm

I did what Hiroyuki-san asked. The two just arrived from testing, with Takanori moaning about his poor launches. Ha!

What's this meeting all about anyway?

Hiroyuki: "Thank you for coming. This is an urgent matter to be addressed immediately. For you see, my competitive little brother issued a duel. Yes, a duel."

Takanori: "Duel? What kind?"

Hiroyuki: "Oh it doesn't involve guns nor swords, so don't worry. Nigel, hand over my tablet, please."

Nigel gets Hiroyuki-san's iPad Mini. Upon receiving, he then shows a picture of... what's that?

22774855800_ec41b13c69_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "That's his weapon of choice. Oh, he even reserved the entire Daytona Speedway just for the sake of this duel."

Takanori: "Daytona? Isn't that at the East Coast?"

Hiroyuki: "I don't care if we are to shell out money for freight travel. I'm not going down without a fight. Does he hope to win in that thing against Andy's Shelby?"

Andy: "It'll be unfair, to be honest."

GT40? Heh. All of you have forgotten something. Time to act badass.

Takuma: "I have something in mind."

Hiroyuki: "What is it?"

Takuma: "We'll fight fire with fire. Let's just see which one burns the longest. Excuse me for a moment."

I then make a phone call to Mom. I haven't done that for a while. But first...

Takuma: "Nigel, what's the current time in Tokyo?"

Nigel: "12 pm."

Takuma: "Got it."

I then call the mochi shop. Mom would still attend to the customers and eat lunch at 1 pm. Sigh... how many times I need to tell her that she has to eat at the right time?

Tomoko: "Takuma? Oh my, you haven't called like forever!"

Takuma: "Sorry Mom. I have been too busy with... everything."

Tomoko: "As long as you're doing fine, then there's nothing I should worry about. But why did you call?"

Takuma: "I need you to do a favor. I want you to send a car for freight delivery. I'll reimburse immediately."

Tomoko: "No problem. Which car, dear?"

Takuma: "The one that sent father to stardom. You know it."

Tomoko: "Hehe. I see. Don't worry, I'll take care of it."

22936850716_54e174c7a8_c.jpg

22340125684_5b5958c4f1_c.jpg

Takuma: "Thanks, Mom. Don't worry, I'll call you back soon."

End of Page 11

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- It seems that old rivalries will make a return. GT40 vs 330 P4 from the pages of history, and then the GT-R squaring off against the R8 once again, ever since The Quest For 400. :sly:

Looks like AMS has been kind to both Dream Alliance and Blue Streak. Nice to see Toru's 400km/h R8 resurrected.

Page 12: Priceless

Time: 5 pm, three days later

All righty, the historic racer Ferrari 330 P4 has arrived via a speedy but rather expensive freight service. Sorry, wallet.

But this had to be done, in response to Ravenwest's challenge. Never in our conquest that a team directly challenges us for a duel.

The million dollar question though, is Andy ready to deliver? He is still starstruck by the car's presence. We're at Daytona today for a little practice, and the sun is setting.

You know, we don't have all day...

Takuma: "You've been staring at that car since yesterday. Can't get over it? I thought you're more into American muscle?"

Andy: "Hehe, sorry Takuma-san. It's such a beauty. I'll strap in."

He then, slowly, puts his hand down, caressing the bodywork.

Andy: "This is worth a jillion dollars."

Takuma: "Don't let the price blow you away. Just drive like you always do. You are an expert on cars like these, am I right? We chose you for a reason. Now, make my father proud."

Andy: "Understood. Your father once drove this, huh? He's very cool and lucky."

Takuma: "Yet I never saw him in my entire life. I only knew of him through my mother's stories."

Before I can break down, I simply checked the tires just to quell out the emotion.

Takuma: "Tires are good. You're all set."

Without further adieu, off he goes. That carbureted V12 still provides music to the ears. When was the last time I piloted that beauty of a race car?

23019995521_d9b641e27f_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "He'll enjoy that car."

Takuma: "And maybe he will be open in driving other sorts of cars. Takanori's GT-R was a good start for him."

Hiroyuki: "I could have easily sent you for the duel, but clearly we know Andy's situation. We are to help him up. If driving other types of cars would mean moving up for Andy, then so be it."

22387697283_a79249aeb8_c.jpg

Andy: "This speed. It's linear. It's far from the feeling of a V8 American muscle. The response is spot on."

22590556068_56b74691b7_c.jpg

Andy: "But of course, it still is a classic. It has quirks. That quirkiness is what I'm looking for."

22982853616_f94a4c751f_c.jpg

Andy: "This car alone stands a chance against Ravenwest's GT40. But what about me?"

22590555818_cab383e70a_c.jpg

Andy: "I have to admit that this is faster than my Chappy back home."

22982853516_d96bdb6157_c.jpg

Andy: "In the twisty stuff, this fares way ahead from my Shelby. I really tip my hat off in European sophistication."

23019994881_5964cbacc6_c.jpg

Andy: "This is starting to get addicting. Perhaps I should drive other types of cars from now on. Time to open my mind. The world is vast, after all. If I am to move up, then this is the start!"

Don't forget this experience, Andy. A learning experience is something that can't be paid in bills.

22982853296_b7257fca69_c.jpg

Andy: "Ridley, I have once said that I'll never ever drive a poser like a Ferrari. But look what I'm doing right now. Opening my mind to new things will help me after all. I'll soon enter the world stage, and this had to be done in order to make that happen."

23008898455_39f156601b_c.jpg

Andy: "Shoot! I ran off the grass! Too much speed..."

22616670079_8d4a29d837_c.jpg

I then hear a buzz from the radio communication. What's up?

Andy: "I just spun a car worth more than all the mansions in Beverly Hills. Sorry."

Takuma: "Hehe. Things happen. Did you crash?"

Andy: "Nah, I'm good. No scratches to report... yet."

Time: 9 pm

At the evening, Louis is making the last minute inspection before he can head back to the hotel to sleep. Tomorrow is a race day for his team.

Nina accompanies him as well, following his observations.

Nina: "You seem to be very meticulous."

Louis: "You noticed that just now?"

Nina: "You have been spending at least an hour to set up or even just inspect the cars."

Louis: "Hey, you don't want a single bolt missing, am I right? Even small things can make or break."

Nina: "You are correct on that."

23008898165_bde422f2fb_c.jpg

Nina: "Oh, do you know that Ravenwest challenged Dream Alliance for a duel in Daytona? Their battle shall take place two days later."

Louis reacts only by a small grin on his face.

Louis: "Looks like that would be impossible for me to watch them. But I staunchly believe that they'll win this."

Nina:
"Who are you referring to?"

Louis: "The Dream Alliance, no less. Even if Andy will be chosen to represent them."

Nina: "It's highly probable that Andy Midfield will take part."

Louis: "That would be fascinating indeed. But there is no need for me to watch. I need to focus for tomorrow's race, Nina."

Louis then checks the giant rear spoiler's sturdiness by pushing it up and down by his hand. Seeing that it's tightly fitted, he is finally satisfied and shows a smile to Nina.

Having realized he almost forgot something, he closes the lexan window at the passenger side door which he often overlooks.

22995429552_67f9654561_c.jpg

Louis: "Okay then. I'm done. Let's head back. Tomorrow, I'll make Ravenwest wet their pants, especially Francois."

End of Page 12

Last edited:
That Paris reference was a given after what happened, but it's still a touching moment considering Louis' origins and his patriotic spirit. A honest way to pray for Paris indeed... 👍

And Andy is slowing opening up to other ways of driving, it seems that he is slowly losing the European stigma. He'll need that, if he wants to beat Ravenwest's challenge...

Page 13: Friendship

Time: 1 pm, the next day

Having heard from Rob that Louis is currently racing in Willow Springs, I quickly head back to the hotel after we ate some grub.

He also came along, obviously fascinated on how it would turn out. We're room mates, anyway.

Hurry! Turn on the TV!

Takuma: "Dammit, where's the sports channel?"

Rob: "Keep scrolling, sweetheart. You'll be bound to see it."

Oh shut up, Deckard. I'll soon be able to break your bones. There it is. I see Louis' name on the screen and what's that futuristic race car? Isn't that the...?

Rob: "That idiot souped up that Citroen, huh? He never gives up. Looks like the McLaren is in a tough competition. But that's much better."

Takuma: "What, did you provoke him again?"

Rob: "He and I had a simple friendly chat. Nothing more, nothing less."

That's something to look forward to. But I'll have my score someday, Louis.

Yes, keep overtaking. I am studying your every move.

Rob: "You can turn that off now."

He simply lies down and shuts himself. Wow, Rob isn't alarmed at the rate of growth Louis has. Or maybe because he needs to momentarily get out of the pressure he's in to.

Rob: "Lower the volume if you want to keep on watching."

Oh fine. I just turned off the TV and plopped on my bed too.

Sigh...

Before, we used to have an unstoppable winning streak. We've been challenged by various teams around the world, and together we stood and prevailed.

Now, reality hits you that nothing lasts forever. The moments of bliss can make you blind from reality. We always have to keep planted on to the ground no matter what. It took just one, just one person to break everything we worked so hard for. Now that person is someone to take on too seriously.

However, with Andy making a name for himself, it's now the opportunity to win back our fans, and eventually our pride, little by little.

Tomorrow, another challenge awaits him. While no one knows about it, it still counts. We've entered into enemy territory and we must fight no matter what.

Time: 8 pm, the next day

It's rather eerie in here. No audience to witness the battle. But we don't care. Ravenwest isn't doing this for publicity, either. It's between us indeed. It's a 5-lap race, according to Hiroyuki-san.

Andy, as usual, is lending a hand in setting up the Ferrari. Perfect combination of driving skill and mechanical knowledge are at play here.

Andy: "I could use a bit more tire pressure."

Takuma: "Seems like you're having your hands full."

Andy: "It's Ridley I'm dealing with. Therefore I'm the only one who knows how to take him out. I have to play both roles."

Takuma: "I understand. I already entrusted you my old man's car the day you first drove it. Do what you think what's best. Just win."

Andy: "I won't let you down."

Meanwhile, I notice Owen just looking around, and then staring at the empty bleachers.

Owen: "Kinda creepy in here. No one knew about this?"

Takuma: "Perhaps the boffins at Ravenwest did everything to keep this in secret so as to save face should they lose."

Owen: "Clever thought, but cowardly."

Takuma: "I couldn't agree more."

Owen: "I think it's best for me not to reach Andy now. He's different today. He's going to be a beast."

Takuma: "Do both of you have felt a sense of rivalry?"

Owen: "Lately I've been feeling it. Even in practice he's competitive in particular to lap times. Who knows? Maybe there comes a day that we'll duke it out. When that day comes, I'm not gonna back down."

Owen has gotten more confident and braver than ever. Perhaps that's thanks to his wife Maria. He's no longer the shy man I used to know.

And once again, the buddies have a little talk before the race could begin.

Andy: "Ridley, don't hold back. You know I hate it when my friends do so."

Ridley: "Why would I? This is what you want, am I right? You're making a name for yourself, but clearly you exchanged that for something. I know, we're from opposing teams, but you let that go over your head. If you just accepted that offer, then none of these would happen. You've gotten selfish."

Andy: "Your team crushed my pride and I'll crush yours. Let the cars do the talking, Ridley. I have nothing else to say from this point."

Ryuji: "Will the racers please line up at the starting point? We don't have all night!"

Hiroyuki: "Wow, that's how you boss around? All right, then. I don't question that. Let's get this over with."

Without further stalling, the two cars formed at the starting line, side-by-side.

We've been hearing nothing but the thundering roars of the race cars that once battled on this very race track. History does repeat itself.

AND THEY'RE OFF!

Andy had a poor start there, but...

daytonaduel.jpg

The Ferrari's close ratio 5-speed makes up for acceleration as opposed to the Ford's long-geared 4 speed. Yeah, no wonder the GT40 didn't last long in its career despite having a legendary status.

daytonaduel_1.jpg

Andy: "Shoot, he just dived in at turn 1. I admit that I lack practice here."

daytonaduel_2.jpg

Seems that battle is in Ridley's favor first. It has just started, Andy. Concentrate, if I were you. Read your opponent's moves.

daytonaduel_3.jpg

Henry Ford II and Enzo Ferrari once had a deal in regards for open-wheel racing. But knowing Enzo Ferrari, the deal was cut off, and Ford decided to make a machine that will humiliate Modena's finest. The GT40 was spawned out of rage. Had I been Mr. Ford, I would have punched Enzo's face without regret. Up to this day, I still have no respect towards Ferrari and its rather "cowardly" policies in reviewing cars.

daytonaduel_4.jpg

Ford's efforts paid off, and the boss was satisfied to see the GT40s win, 1-2-3 finish at the 1967 Le Mans. It then won in succeeding years, until 1969 when it was proven to be archaic in racing standards of the time.

What about the 330 P4? Simply put, that was Enzo's way of attempting to restore pride in his fledgling company. It did gain attention with its numerous victories, in particular, in the 1967 24 Hours of Daytona when it also had a 1-2-3 finish to counter Ford's achievement in last year's Le Mans. You could say that they're even.

But tonight, that moment in history will repeat. Andy will make sure of it. And what a perfect place to do it.

daytonaduel_5.jpg

Suddenly, I see Hiroyuki-san briefly giggling which is a rare sight.

Hiroyuki: "Hehehehehehe... does history truly repeat itself?"

daytonaduel_6.jpg

Ryuji: "That's not going to be the case this time. Times have changed. Our GT40 was set up for perfection. It will stick to its original purpose of humiliating elitists like you."

Hiroyuki: "Ahahahahahaha! Me? An elitist? Maybe it's you haven't changed at all. Still insecure as always. How much of these sinister acts you need to do in order to get over me? As far as I know, the Ravenwest team before your control was a flourishing and well-respected team. Who among us is fighting dirty now? Eh? And to think, you let no one know about this duel. So that you can still save your face should you get defeated.

Let me give you one fact: You are no longer under my shadow. So don't feel lowly. It's up to you if you still hang on to it."

daytonaduel_7.jpg

Ryuji: "Don't be ridiculous. I have always gotten over it. I am truly no longer under your shadow. I have what it takes to get to the top. I will maintain Ravenwest's elite status no matter what. We are the true elites here. You're not part of it."

Hiroyuki: "Poor childish little brother. Still under my shadow, I suppose. The fact that you attempted to take away Andy from my team is proof enough."

daytonaduel_8.jpg

Andy: "Gotta love the sound of that Ford V8. But that's all there is to it now. No use being biased on one type of car.

Sorry Ridley, but this battle is mine!"

daytonaduel_9.jpg

Overtake by slipstream! All right!

But not for long, though. You messed up on braking points, Andy.

daytonaduel_10.jpg

Andy: "Too early!"

Ridley: "What's wrong?! Was I too much for you? You told me that I must not hold back!"

daytonaduel_11.jpg

daytonaduel_12.jpg

Andy: "Don't get cocky, you idiot. You may know your muscle cars, but I am your opponent now."

daytonaduel_13.jpg

Andy: "Take this!"

Ridley: "Woah! Almost nicked me."

daytonaduel_14.jpg

Ridley: "You want to play? Fine. I don't care if our cars are worth millions!"

daytonaduel_15.jpg

Andy: "Ack! He's gotten aggressive."

daytonaduel_16.jpg

Andy: "Are you nuts? Well, ever since we first met in grade school, you already are."

daytonaduel_17.jpg

Andy: "Fishtailing me?!"

Andy quickly puts his right foot down on the brake, to avoid Ridley's attempt. But since there wasn't much of a gap, the 330 P4 manages to recover through drafting.

daytonaduel_18.jpg

Andy: "Fine, there's no more Mr. Nice Guy now. Let's get serious!"

End of Page 13

Page 14: Exchange of Tirades

tirade.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Looks like your driver shows promise."

Ryuji: "Wow, a rare instance from you - a compliment."

Hiroyuki: "I give credit to those who truly deserve one."

tirade_1.jpg

Ryuji: "So, you're starting to recognize me."

Hiroyuki: "Once again, you're getting ridiculous. I am only praising one person. Stop taking credit that isn't yours."

tirade_2.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Ridley became what he is on his own, not from you."

Ryuji: "Hmph. I assume Andy became what he is on his own as well."

Hiroyuki: "Of course. I rarely pull the strings now. Up to this day, I still can't believe they have given the leadership role to me. But then I realized, that I can guide them. My drivers train on their own but they use my experiences as an inspiration. In short, I am nothing more than an old man telling tales to children."

tirade_3.jpg

Ryuji: "Really? You aren't lifting even a finger at all? How amazing that your team gets organized despite you doing little or nothing at all."

Hiroyuki: "Because I always trust my drivers. That alone is motivation for them."

Ryuji: "So for you, bonds and trust matter the most. And I thought you're the one-man show. Speaking of bonds, you know those two were once close friends."

Hiroyuki: "Until you came along."

tirade_4.jpg

Ryuji: "So you're blaming me once again? Shouldn't you also be blamed?"

Hiroyuki: "I don't want to bring this up again, but it is clearly your fault why the two are now at each other's throats. Andy was seriously offended by what you did. I thought you are proud of your drivers. But the fact that you attempted to take him away from me showed that you are not confident enough, that you resorted to actually "buying" him just give you an edge over me. Where's your pride in your team, eh?"

tirade_5.jpg

Andy: "Third lap. I still have a chance. The Ferrari's all good. It's catching on the draft."

tirade_6.jpg

But then the GT40 overspeeds into the chicane as the result of overly late braking.

tirade_7.jpg

Ridley: "This car is ranting on me right now. Complain later, will ya? We can beat that sucker together!"

Because of the setback, Andy recovers the lead.

tirade_8.jpg

Andy: "As far as I know, Ford GT40s weren't known for handling finesse in their heyday!"

tirade_9.jpg

Hiroyuki: "4th lap has started. My boy is in the lead again."

Ryuji: "Anything can happen, even if it's a few seconds left to finish. Don't act so high and mighty."

Hiroyuki: "Aren't you also acting like that too? Please, don't play as the victim here. We're clearly not the purest beings ever born. Don't act clean."

Suddenly, the tides of battle have changed. Andy brakes right in front of Ridley to block any overtaking attempt.

Andy: "Sorry dude, you showed too much, that I already read you like a book. I can brake as late as you."

tirade_10.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Plus, I already knew your game. Knowing the prestigious reputation it has, you've entered Ravenwest, just to get back at me, am I right? How desperate...

...and pathetic."

End of Page 14

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Looks like Hiroyuki will not take this sitting down anymore. If someone wants war, THEN HE'LL GIVE WAR. :scared:

Hiroyuki can get vicious sometimes. :scared:

One shouldn't underestimate Hiroyuki thinking that he is just a calm and collected man; if you insult his honor, it's as if you've just murdered his entire family in cold blood. It's still the team he's responsible for, and he won't let someone else tarnish his hard work...

One shouldn't underestimate Hiroyuki thinking that he is just a calm and collected man; if you insult his honor, it's as if you've just murdered his entire family in cold blood. It's still the team he's responsible for, and he won't let someone else tarnish his hard work...

Hiroyuki became what he is right now thanks to his rival from his heyday - Michiharu Kanonji.

That's why he views the Kanonji twins in high regard.

Hiroyuki became what he is right now thanks to his rival from his heyday - Michiharu Kanonji.

That's why he views the Kanonji twins in high regard.

Respect built from hardships and rivalries, huh? Makes sense, Hiroyuki's anger towards Ryuji sure showcases that view in high regard of the twins...

Page 15: Derailed

We're at the second to the last lap. Andy is on a hot streak. Keep at it, as anything can happen in a blink of an eye!

Ridley: "I'm not done yet! The race is still going on!"

daytonaend.jpg

Ridley: "Perhaps you have forgotten. We used to be street racers. What do you say about taking it to the next level?"

Ridley charges in, immediately eating up the gap and overtake at the hairpin.

daytonaend_1.jpg

Andy: "Is that how it is now, huh? That's how I like it. You're not afraid of dinging your ride."

Background Music - 99 Red Balloons (Goldfinger)

daytonaend_2.jpg

Andy: "This is my night. I'll make sure of it."

daytonaend_3.jpg

With his right foot planted, Andy goes all out. A night like this is unique. It's all or nothing now.

daytonaend_4.jpg

Then the storm begins. Andy overtakes Ridley, and this time around, he won't have any reservations anymore.

daytonaend_5.jpg

Andy: "This is for pride. My path is set to succeed. I will keep it that way."

On full throttle, the Ferrari turns out to be a capable speed demon much like it was on its heyday.

daytonaend_6.jpg

Ridley: "So fast!"

And the final lap enters. The conclusion is within their reach...

Hiroyuki: "Go ahead. There's no shame in scratching your head."

Ryuji: "Oh shut up. Why did we even grew under the same roof? You always treat me like dirt."

Hiroyuki: "Because that's how you think. Insecurities will always get in your way."

daytonaend_7.jpg

Ridley: "I can still catch him, right? The GT40's brakes are that good."

daytonaend_8.jpg

Andy: "There! I won't hold back, either! Let's go all out like this is a street enduro!"

The Ferrari shows a remarkable exit speed, rocketing off the hairpin without oversteer.

daytonaend_9.jpg

Andy: "Come one! You're better than that! Chase me!"

Ridley: "This is impossible! This GT40 was built to take on that specific car! I've diligently worked on this! Are you truly in a slump, Andy?!"

daytonaend_10.jpg

However, his opponent proved too much. And the desperation to win finally gets the better of both him and the car. The speed was too much for the brakes, and ended up crashing at the chicane at high speed.

daytonaend_11.jpg

Ridley: "NO!!!"

But it didn't just end there. The million-dollar racing car is deemed worthless at it hits head-on at the concrete wall.

daytonaend_12.jpg

Seeing the crash, Andy is prompted to stop, and help his friend in need.

daytonaend_13.jpg

Andy: "Ridley?! Oh shoot!"

He rushes over the wreckage, and quickly pulls out his injured and unconscious best friend. Thankfully, he regains it.

Ridley: "Ooh... aah..."

Andy: "You okay? Let's have a little walk."

Andy acts a support for Ridley's balance, helping out which is the sign that there is still hope for their friendship.

Ridley: "Hey. I'm sorry."

Andy: "Don't mention. I knew you're just working under your team. I will understand. We have become rivals, anyway."

I just heard from Andy that Ridley got injured by the accident. We called over the paramedics.

Hiroyuki: "We won.... by default."

Ryuji: "You insolent old man. Damn you, Hiroyuki. This isn't over."

Hiroyuki: "Oh I'm always up for more. And you should bother asking every team manager of the racing teams we came across."

Ryuji: "Tch!"

Oh there they are. The medical personnel slowly and carefully put Ridley on the stretcher. And then he's put in the ambulance.

Andy: "This is the result of your complacence, Mr. Ryuji. I won't forgive you if Ridley won't be able to drive anymore."

Heh, nice insult to the injury.

Andy: "Hiroyuki-san."

Hiroyuki: "Great race. It goes to show that you are prepared for the challenges ahead. The world awaits you."

Andy: "I'll be ready, then."

Meanwhile, I noticed Rob talking over the phone. He's been like that for minutes. Oh what the heck.

Rob: "Abu Dhabi? I see... interesting development there. I'll join in once I'm done with my races here in America. But do not hesitate to summon me if you need my immediate assistance."

*ends call*

Takuma: "Hey, we won."

Rob: "Impressive. But I'm not surprised."

Takuma: "Looks like we won't be needed anymore, eh?"

Rob: "You want to go back to UK? Fine."

Takuma: "Hey Deckard, I didn't mean it that way!"

Rob: "Well, that was loud and clear. Anyway, enough fooling around. I have to win against Louis first before I head to my new mission."

New mission? You mean, MI6 mission?

Takuma: "Did MI6 call you again?"

Rob: "I've got to tell you since this concerns us. According to the Intelligence unit, Alan Long is said to be hiding in Abu Dhabi and set up a new base for his Vision GT cars."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Alan Long. He disappeared after that crash in Le Mans after all. So he's still running that project.

And here we all thought that the VGT Project is as good as dead.

End of Page 15

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- You know my technique - providing subtle hints for the next arc in some parts of the current arc. But that will be touched upon further as this entire story arc ends. That can wait.

Plot twist! Well, you can cut its head off, but such won't kill a snake it seems. Nevertheless, Dream Alliance now knows what their next goal will be, and they will prepare for that accordingly...

Meanwhile, some of Hiroyuki's penchant to unleash anger on Ryuji has rubbed off on Andy... Ryuji was owned not once, but twice.

Page 16: Special Relationship

Time: 5 pm, two days later

Whew. Another pawn off the board. Andy proved to Ravenwest that he is to be taken seriously, and the world will be next.

I'm sure Hiroyuki-san is gloating inside, hehe.

We immediately returned to Los Angeles the day after that duel. The 330 P4 that served us well is now being sent back to Japan.

And Andy? Currently paying a visit to Ridley at the hospital. Glad to hear that he isn't cutting him off at all.

Meanwhile, at the hospital, Andy manages to locate Ridley's room. Upon entering, he sees his friend clearly heavily injured at the right side. His right arm has heavy cast and bracing hanging on a sturdy rope.

Andy: "Hey, how you've been?"

Ridley:
"Heh. Better than ever."

Andy:
"So how's Ravenwest handling this?"

Ridley: "They'll take care of the expenses. But after that, I don't know. My career might be derailed, as the doctors told me that there is a possibility that I have to stop racing for good."

Andy: "Hey, whatever happens, we will pull it together. I'm sorry for everything."

Ridley: "Don't mention it. It's clearly my fault why it has to end like this."

Andy: "Pride tore us apart. Hey, it's not like men don't have moments like these."

Ridley: "Hehe. We can be weak as kittens by one day. Strong as lions in the other."

Andy: "I agree. And no matter what happens...

...we will still be brothers."

Time: 6 pm, the next day

Back to business, everyone. Next is a Sprint tournament hosted by FIA. Wow, first time I've heard of that. Normally, FIA hosts the big shot ones like Le Mans. And to think, they closed off a stretch of the highway for WEEKS. It turns out that in that time frame, teams use that for practice runs. So we're not alone, basically.

While Hiroyuki-san personally chose Takanori's GT-R for the event, he still prefers Andy to drive it, since we've found out that Andy also has an expertise in standing mile and quick launches.

23150875436_715716f91e_c.jpg

Hey, it's getting dark. We should call this a day.

Owen: "GT-Rs are that good?"

Takuma: "Don't be surprised, Owen. 4WDs can rival high powered RWDs in drag racing. The latter will always have trouble keeping its rear planted on launch."

And off it goes. Rocket off the line with minimal wheelspin.

23150875266_368972d2bf_c.jpg

Takanori: "I wonder if the dual clutch can stand that."

Takuma: "You don't trust your GT-R for that? Porsche's PDK can do that ALL DAY."

Meanwhile, in the GT-R...

23176974255_270026da95_c.jpg

Andy:
"This thrust. It's somehow forceful. The acceleration is insane. Is this what a scramjet turbo can do? It simply brings one to whole another dimension."

22549926883_c9555d0d53_c.jpg

Once again, the Alpha 12 GT-R hits 248 miles per hour at the trap.

Andy: "I've tried so hard to squeeze out power without any aid of blowers. I wonder if Owen's little KTM became very fast because of that.

I might as well try that out."

Andy then reported to us that he clocked in at 27.3 seconds and at 248 miles per hour just like the previous run.

Takuma: "Perhaps it's the standard. For now."

Owen: "What's the top speed?"

Takuma: "Still 248 miles per hour. I'm wondering if consistency could do us good in drag racing. We've never done this before. This could be a challenge. I never thought that a simple straight line competition could be this complicated. No wonder it also has legions of fans."

Time: 9 pm

Andy has finished doing the dishes, while Owen goes upstairs to prepare himself for sleep. Andy goes to his room, and sees his guest about to lie down on the mattress just beside his bed.

Andy: "I'm just curious."

Owen: "What is it?"

Andy: "It may sound odd, but what level of boost does your KTM currently run?"

Owen: "15 psi on full chat. Why ask?"

Andy: "Suddenly just got interested in turbocharging. And besides, cars of today have them."

Owen: "Nothing bad with that. It's the easiest and cheapest way of adding power."

Andy: "Hmph. I'm starting to see the point. Anyway, good night."

Andy exits his room and goes back downstairs to his garage.

23150874796_0641f44418_c.jpg

He briefly stares at the cars, then moving on to Owen's KTM, which he brought in out of necessity due to Owen's hatred of public transport and as well as giving a try in race tracks nearby.

22881168450_12fbf3f59f_c.jpg

Andy: "Takanori-san's GT-R is insanely fast. And then this, the little machine that broke my record. Are those the benefits of adding that little blower? I always thought they're unresponsive and cook the engines.

Time to open my mind, and break the mold, if it means moving up. I have grow out of my shell. Chappy needs a boost."

Time: The next day

The next day, in particular in the afternoon, Andy is busy fiddling with his car. He just bought a single turbocharger from a tuning shop in Hawthorne and currently performs installation. Owen notices the clanking noises, prompting him to go the garage.

Owen: "Hey, you need help?"

Andy: "Nah, I'm fine. You're my guest, and I must be hospitable."

Owen: "If there's anything you need, I can help."

Andy: "15 psi... I ought to match that."

Owen: "That's pretty much the standard boost level on an aftermarket turbo. Go beyond that, and the engine might blow to bits."

Owen moves in closer, and notices the giant turbocharger installed on the 2D's V8 engine.

Owen: "Single turbo. A much more reliable and simpler setup than the twin."

Andy: "I know that, and I'll stick to it when possible."

Owen: "I thought you're an advocate for all-motor engines."

Andy: "You know what they say - be open minded, try new things, spread your wings, learn something new each day. Stuff like those."

Feeling that he is just a distraction, Owen distances himself from the engine bay.

Owen: "Uh... ummmm.... you know, I don't want to disturb you further. I'll buy dinner for us. I'm in a mood for Finger Lickin' Good."

Andy: "Sure. Get a bucket."

Time: 4 pm, the next day

While yesterday was rather ordinary, Owen decides to kill some time since Andy is having his hands full on the shop's construction. He sets out to a stretch of highway just nearby Willow Springs circuit.

22881168610_c61985d5a5_c.jpg

However, in a sudden twist, or rather a gust of wind, Andy shows up.

23150874066_cbc20407a7_c.jpg

Owen: "Andy?! I thought..."

With the engine now turbocharged, Andy steps on the accelerator to feel that addicting thrust that only turbos can offer.

22549926093_8f2272639c_c.jpg

Andy: "Sorry. We Americans skip the formalities. We immediately get to the point and get things settled!"

22548454224_7db9c5402b_c.jpg

Owen: "Fancy a run, eh? I don't see anything wrong with that!"

End of Page 16

Page 17: Heavyweight Featherweights

Before the sun could set and the day shall end, Andy now engages a duel against Owen, a rivalry that been brewing ever so silently behind Dream Alliance's activities.

Background Music - Put It Down (Destroid)

22906171779_acdcb4cb1e_c.jpg

Andy has seen Owen as both a friend and rival due to the fact that they run and compare lap times with each other, with the latter always being the faster one.

With his restored car's newfound power, it's time to settle things once and for all.

Andy: "I've been waiting for this, Owen. Sorry to surprise you, but there's no use stalling this further."

22646987763_3a777ef69c_c.jpg

Owen: "I knew it. My gut feeling is right. You've been competitive lately. All right then, I won't hold back!"

The cars' age gap shows the difference in chassis technology and tuning. The newer KTM with its carbon fiber body with race car aerodynamics negates the 50 horsepower deficit and 100 kilograms heavier than the archaic but lighter Chaparral 2D.

22978272740_b6f66d5276_c.jpg

The loud turbo whistle from the wastegates of each car can be heard. Andy has totally found new joy from installing the turbocharger which he once used to criticize.

22906170939_aaf13944bc_c.jpg

Andy: "The same addictive thrust I get from Takanori-san's GT-R.... is also here!"

However, once again with the advancement of technology, the turbocharged engine of the KTM X-Bow shows no signs of lag, unlike the aftermarket single turbo bolted on to Andy's Chaparral.

Andy: "I know yours isn't laggy, but..."

Even with the modification, he still relies on his Chaparral's racing pedigree for his advantage, overtaking Owen.

22880001907_f5cb256b12_c.jpg

But the X-Bow's number of forward gears doubling that of the Chaparral's, the acceleration more than makes it up.

OP_5.jpg

The 2D's boost kicks in, however.

OP_6.jpg

And then Andy hampers Owen's attempts, as there are four turns left before the goal.

OP_7.jpg

Owen makes another diving attempt thanks to the KTM's sharper responses. Andy doesn't seem to budge, however.

Andy: "I'm still pushing it, idiot! We're all taught never to give up!"

OP_8.jpg

Next hairpin, and it's Andy turn.

Andy: "I'm over here!"

OP_9.jpg

Once again, Owen maintains his lead as the Chaparral understeered.

Owen: "Come on! Pressure me all you want!"

OP_10.jpg

And Owen gets it, too much of it in fact that it sent him almost out the turn.

OP_11.jpg

Then it's the final turn. Both cars seem to have an advantage, so it is all up to the drivers as to who has the strongest willpower.

Andy: "Last corner! All right, this car can still turn!"

Owen: "I got the inside. All I need is to feather the throttle!"

OP_12.jpg

The long straight beckons in front of them, with the goal easily at reach.

OP_13.jpg

Who shall come out on top? Which car will accelerate the fastest?

End of Page 17

It begins... UK's young stalwart vs USA's young stalwart, it should be quite the battle.

Also, one of the pictures isn't showing; it's the one that comes after this line;

"I've been waiting for this, Owen. Sorry to surprise you, but there's no use stalling this further."

Page 18: Winners in Life

It's the final curtain call. Who shall end the drama with a victory?

part1end.jpg

In a duel, no matter how long it takes, only one will come out as the victory. It's a rule known by all. Both drivers display incredible skill and thrown in all the punches.

However, irony determined this battle. The responsive twin scroll turbo of the KTM induces wheelspin that prompts Owen to back off and feather the throttle once more, hurting his exit speed, and his chance of victory.

While the single turbo installed in Andy's Chaparral 2D kicked in boost at the right time.

part1end_1.jpg

And with better power-to-weight ratio despite the archaic three-speed gearbox, the 2D overwhelms the X-Bow.

Andy: "How ironic, I'm new to this, yet I prevailed this bout. Skill and determination overwhelm even the most advanced of cars."

part1end_2.jpg

The day shall finally end having seen Andy trump out against his rival.

part1end_3.jpg

The two pulled over, obviously worn out. Owen shows a smile upon loading off his car.

Andy: "Nice run."

Owen: "Never thought you'd be this good. You should be driving for us more often."

Andy: "Yeah, and that's what I'll do from this point on. I found new motivation. I'll represent the Stars & Stripes flag. That will be a good start."

Owen: "Keep at it. Soon, the world will see a true winner."

All of a sudden, Owen feels something vibrating from his pocket. It's his phone. He always keeps it in Silent Mode even when he's at home. He picks it up.

The next reaction comes in the form of gasp from Owen's face.

Owen: "I see. I'll be there in an instant. I'll take the earliest flight tomorrow." *call ends*

Andy: "What's wrong?"

Owen once again shows a smile.

Owen: "I'll be a father any moment from now. Maria has been rushed to the hospital due to contractions. I'm heading back to UK. But do not worry, I'll be watching you and your victories."

Andy: "Hey, I think you are the real winner. Look at you, you have a solid career, a woman who you'll spend the rest of your life with. Then you'll be a family man. You accomplished far more than I did.

But that doesn't mean I'll stop. I'll keep on racing. Maybe that will be the path for greatness. I have been stumped for far too long. I used to wander aimlessly, with my restoration work at my dad's shop just being my means of living. I used to think that it's my purpose in my life, resuming my late father's business. But having taken part in the Dream Alliance, I have realized that it's not too late, that I must have dreams of my own.

And for that, I thank you. I thank everyone in the team. As my act of gratitude, I will put my heart into this, without looking back.

If I pursue that, who knows? I might be a winner in life too. I'll show Alan that I am the true winner!"

With the flame of determination in his eyes, Andy truly settles to his new path. He will never look back anymore.

The next set of challenges await. Andy is more than eager to accept them. The racing world shall see a star shining brightly...

...representing the United States of America.

End of Part 1

And that's how 'Murica gained even more recognition... Andy has performed admirably, and it was a fun way to end the battle.

Also;

Congrats Owen! The Hatch family has gained its future heir...

...of sheer racing domination. :scared: :lol:

PART II

With Andy planted himself as one of America's rising stars of racing, Dream Alliance continues to break free from the chains of defeat, in a place called "Land of Freedom". Will they finally be able to break free and regain what was lost?

Page 1: Path to Domination

Time: 9 am, a week later

A week later, Ridley was finally discharged, though of course he is yet to fully recover from his injuries. Thankfully, he can drive for the next season. He is now given an ocean of time to heal.

Eager to learn new things despite his supposed recovery, he simply tags along and watches Ravenwest's practice runs.

Having been defeated by Dream Alliance by a few times, Ryuji Hiramoto now aims to stop that chain effect, sending out their Audi R18 TDI with 600 horsepower piloted by none other than Francois Montagny.

23425830231_7111709f64_b.jpg

Ridley is amused at the sight of the blitzing diesel LMP1 racer at the main straight.

23482175336_bcc0459f33_c.jpg

Ridley: "Wow... never thought a diesel can run that fast!"

Ryuji: "Times change, and so do the beliefs. All preconceptions against diesels are completely gone."

It makes quick work on the first and second corners thanks to copious amounts of downforce, then blasting once again at the back straight.

22879981884_a307dd016c_c.jpg

Ridley: "When are we using that thing for?"

Ryuji: "There will be upcoming races that are for all-comers. We'll simply pit ourselves against... anyone. I wonder what Dream Alliance will come up. I just have to be very sure, hence that Audi will have to run."

23425829921_5e672473ed_c.jpg

Ryuji: "Plus, we have nothing to worry about in our team's future. An anonymous sponsor injected huge funds, placing firm trust on us. I intend to keep that one forever."

Ridley: "Anonymous sponsor?"

Ryuji: "That may sound fishy, but he's all right. I know his name, but he wishes to keep it just between him and me."

Ridley brushes off the suspicion immediately, and moves on to the next topic.

Ridley: "Anyway, are we also ready in our drag racing stint in California?"

Ryuji: "You shouldn't worry about that too. That was already taken care of. Francois will drive for us too. It's just that he has to get used on this track for now."

Diesel engines may be clattery and sometimes unpleasant to hear, but the one placed in the R18 clearly emits a loud, racing tone for that type of engine that can be heard all over the track.

23140312829_81e2ddf87e_c.jpg

23399781712_f95a630fa8_c.jpg

Ryuji: "My brother must not sit on his laurels. We will strike back, and let them pay for tarnishing our streak."

Time: 8 pm

Louis just arrived from the tuning shop. It turns out that Nina is waiting for him. But before they can leave for dinner, Louis makes another brief inspection on Toru's R8 intended for use in the upcoming Death Valley Sprint tournament.

23140312609_e857fe6fdf_c.jpg

Nina: "Where did you come from? Mr. Stephan and Mr. Dmitri are waiting for us. We are going to eat out for dinner."

Louis: "Sorry to keep you waiting. I just brought this back to the shop for some final tweaks. The previous run was rather average."

23508298135_d0f397be49_c.jpg

Louis: "His heart beats with mine, with pride. Hence, I cannot let him down. I know he's gone, but I have to show my love to him, in the only way I know how."

End of Page 1

Page 2: Heading Straight

Time: 12 pm, the next day

Just a week before the sprint event starts, Louis makes another run of the R8 having increased its power output to almost 200 horsepower from its previous tune.

Revving the twin turbo V10, Louis does so with the surge of adrenaline already, despite being just a practice run. To think it makes more power than a Bugatti Veyron.

Without any further reservations, Louis stabs the throttle.

23602817476_8037f5d18c_c.jpg

It launches off seamlessly, something that even four-wheel drive cars struggle to do. It can either end up bogging down or create unintentional wheelspin which hurt both the trap speed and sprint times.

23628913605_695fecb459_c.jpg

Louis: "I hope you'll like this, my petit frere. I know I should not touch other person's belongings, but my sense of pride violated it, all for your sake."

23333209430_e96feafd46_c.jpg

Louis: "Even in a battle as simple as this straight line, I have to give my all. This is to be taken seriously. Dream Alliance's GT-R will be tough to beat."

23001831733_f7604a8ff4_c.jpg

The R8's trap speed is at 407 km/h and recorded a time of 27.3 seconds, a hundredth of a second quicker than the GT-R.

Louis: "Dream Alliance is on the path of recovery. I cannot afford sitting down. Fun time is back.
"

However, Louis' stomach starts to churn. He didn't eat breakfast thanks to his fine tuning the car for the entire morning.

Louis: "Oops. I have yet to eat. Perhaps I'll call this a cheat day."

Time: 3:00 pm

Andy's home is now a scene of chaos, as the entire Dream Alliance mechanical crew is present. It turns out that Andy volunteered to use his garage for the team's storage of cars for the entire American conquest, just to save on expenses.

23001831683_1b925f87d1_c.jpg

Andy is on the driver seat of Takanori's GT-R, using a laptop, taking a look at the car's power curve. Takanori sits beside him looking at the results as well. Then the rest of the crew have their hands full on the McLaren F1 GTR that shall run soon.

Andy: "You know, your GT-R does not show any issues on power. It ran perfectly fine on the dyno a while ago. Our real issue, on the other hand, is the dual-clutch gearbox. It just keeps on ticking."

Takanori: "I agree. If only it has the same reliability as a Porsche PDK..."

Then Rob is seen walking, just ending a phone call. He approaches the pair.

Rob: "Hey, I just got some juicy info. Andy will find this lovely."

Andy sets aside the laptop giving it to Takanori and alights from the GT-R.

Andy: "What's up?"

Rob: "Looks like your dear friend is enjoying his life in Abu Dhabi, and has allegedly pooled in funds to Ravenwest."

Hearing that, Andy shows a surprised expression from his face followed by a gasp."

Andy: "Seriously?"

Rob: "Though the latter is yet to be touched upon, and see if it's all true. We're no longer going in circles. We're heading to a straight, not just literally."

Rob then faces on to the McLaren, giving it a brief stare.

23546496641_d0b0a900a5_c.jpg

Andy: "Oh, by the way, does that car have somewhere to put your tea? Hehe."

Rob: "Nice try, Yankee. But you can't find a cubby hole in it. On the other hand, I do love a slurp of tea every after a nice bout."

Andy: "Any chance I'll get a shot of that beauty? I admit that when I first saw it, I was already blown away."

Rob: "You will, my son. This is everyone's weapon of choice. It will "rob" the dreams of everyone who dares standing on its way."

Rob gives a pat on Andy's back before joining the mechanics on tuning the car.

Andy: "It seems that I am moving up. I can now be fully entrusted to drive the team's racing cars, not just my own. I never feel alone anymore."

End of Page 2

A Drift Car is Coming Soon:

23546541971_44dbf57976_c.jpg

23261020059_d1b233605f_c.jpg

23001879483_ff51b11857_c.jpg

'MURICAAAAAA!!!

Seriously, enough of that.

There will be another drifting mini-arc right after the drag racing. The early stages of Part II will still cover Andy's rise to fame. And of course, you know which team that Viper belongs to thanks to that car number. :sly:

Page 3: Showdown at The Strip

Time: 1 pm, three days later

Wow... a pretty big crowd. Well, this is America after all. Americans love drag racing, in all forms.

It's basically an all-comers event. Bring what you have, run it and either win or go home. Simple as that. Categories do exist, though. We're competing in the "Production X" class, which is a class for heavily-tuned but still road legal production cars.

Background Music - Pogo (Digitalism)

We're simply waiting for our turn. Andy is making the last minute checks on the GT-R. He is still worried about the bogging down of its dual-clutch gearbox. Way to go, Takanori.

Wait a second... what's that car doing some heavy burnout there?

23093717793_4dc6367d82_c.jpg

23425080500_4240299f7a_c.jpg

Oh look, a Hellcat Challenger. Andy, however, associates it with pompous drivers who simply want to have a quick fix on the drag strip.

Some classics have popped up as well, racing in a class of their own.

23612258482_ff973848e2_c.jpg

Basically, we will be measured in our times, then duels in each class will take place next, based on the times. Semi-final takes just one round, but to add excitement, there will be three rounds of the Final. The winner will be decided at the 3rd round, not on how much wins you have. Odd, if you ask me.

23638243051_3116300041_c.jpg

Probably that's meant to add tension, and to avoid being cocky. You have the chance to mess up at the very last round, even if you won in the previous two.

Another hour has passed, and it's the Production X Class duels. It's the semi-final, and Ravenwest takes on Blue Streak.

The two cars then line up at the strip.

23352824559_879b1437cc_c.jpg

23694697326_f7e1ba5ced_c.jpg

Louis takes the helm of that blue R8. Takanori, however, is taken by surprise, gasping at the sight of that metallic blue R8.

Takanori: "Oh no... this is bad news."

Takuma: "What's the problem?"

Takanori: "That's the R8 I told you about before."

Takuma: "The 400 km/h R8 that took on Iwasaki?"

Takanori: "This will be a tough call. And our GT-R isn't in its best shape."

Andy: "Let me guess, is that R8 also tweaked by AMS? I've overheard such when we visited the shop."

Next, we see the two drivers get out of their cars first for a little chat. They have a minute to do so...

Louis: "Surprise surprise. We meet again."

Louis then takes off his leather jacket, revealing his white sleeveless undershirt. Oh boy... why do everyone I know have much better gains than me? First, there's Rob, next is Takanori, and now Louis?! His biceps mean serious business as he crossed his arms. And to top it off, his right bicep has a tattoo of the flag of France.

Am I doing something wrong in my workout?! MOOOOOOOO!!!

Louis: "Ça va?"

Francois: "Tres bien. And you must be confident sending out an R8."

Louis: "Just to let you know, the car I'm leaning on right now, once belonged to the person you murdered."

Francois: "What?"

The two briefly stare. Whoa... look at Louis' eyes. I've never seen him with such contempt. Perhaps something went on between the two.

The marshal then asks the two to get back in their cars. It's starting. The crowd is going wild. A lot are taking out their camera phones for snapshots.

Louis: "Heh. En garde, s'il vous plait."

This is it. Both drivers get in and rev their car's engines.

They're waiting for the lights to go green. It also adds to the tension. A wrong start can penalize. Reaction matters most in a drag race.

23425079850_dbb6ba023f_c.jpg

Green! Whoa! Does that R8 have a rocket engine? To think it out-launched a Veyron.

Takanori: "Look at that R8 go! Makes the Veyron puny in comparison!"

Andy: "I'm going to face against that French creep again? I encountered him once in Canada."

Rob: "You're going to have one hell of a tough time, squire. I wish you luck."

23694697056_d5eb79eb3b_c.jpg

Nigel: "The Blue Streak's Audi R8 V10 twin turbo could make 1200 horsepower..."

Takanori: "That's no surprise, Nigel. But... wait a minute, where's that kid who drove it like he stole it? He's really skilled to pilot that thing to 400 KM/H."

Nigel: "You mean Toru Tanaka? He passed away recently."

Takanori: "WHAT?!"

23093716193_e50d3ef416_c.jpg

Aaaaaaand the R8 soared past the line at 27.3 seconds. Poor little Veyron.

23720754325_91d5561caa_c.jpg

Francois: "This is ridiculous!"

The cousins faced off once again after the run. Louis could simply show a grin to his face, just to gloat his defeated relative.

Francois: "What are you smiling about? Stop rubbing it in! Quit making me guilty! MOVE ON! There is such thing as a bad winner! You are totally unrefined!"

Louis: "Vouz avez plein de merde. T'as pas de couilles, imbecile."

(You are full of s:censored:t. You don't have the balls, imbecile.)

Francois: "J'en ai marre!" (I'm fed up!)

Louis: "J'en ai rien à cirer." (I don't give a damn.)

Francois simply turns his back and leaves in frustration, prompting Louis to wave his hand goodbye.

Louis: "Au revoir!" (Bye!)

End of Page 3

Page 4: 400 Reunion

The heat is rising up... literally.

It's the finals. We have three rounds to prove ourselves. The third round is the decider, regardless how you finished the previous two.

23138061814_79c127c758_c.jpg

Andy gets out of the car first, just to have a little talk with us.

Takanori: "He's got more than hundred grand dumped on that car."

Andy: "Is that a movie reference? Either way, this will be rough."

Takanori: "I'm seriously praying that the GT-R's transmission will cooperate. For now, we have to be careful at launch. However, we all saw how the R8 set off."

Then Louis looks at us, and he seems ready. I think we have to stop the chit chat now.

Louis: "We meet again, Andy."

Andy: "I'm quite surprised you and your team showed up here."

Louis: "Just like you, we are eager to prove ourselves to the world. You're not the only team who's winning.

En garde, s'il vous plait."

We are already on guard, ever since you entered in the racing world.

Wish us luck, and our limping GT-R there...

Then we are all waiting for a sign. The green light, of course. Each revving noise adds to the tension.

AND THERE IT IS. GREEN LIGHT!

Background Music: Re-Birth (WMMT4 Original Soundtrack)

Crap! The GT-R already had a bad start. We really have no choice but to nurse that gearbox.

23398293069_0d7628cc2c_c.jpg

Andy: "I knew it..."

400reunion_2.jpg

Takanori: "I don't know, is AMS doing something we don't know? Or is that Lamborghini V10 epic to begin with?"

Nigel: "The R8's shape alone cuts through the air better. If it has the same horsepower rating as our GT-R, then its only fighting chance is its aerodynamics."

Takuma: "Well, that's the problem for GT-Rs. They're best suited on short sprints. Their boxy shape hurts their top speed."

400reunion_3.jpg

First round done, with the obvious result. Second round...

400reunion_4.jpg

Andy: "I can't let this be repeated. I have to do something. There must be a way. I don't want to break someone else's ride in the name of victory."

Takanori: "Hang in there, Andy."

Takuma: "Don't simply expect a miracle, Takanori. We have to come up with a win on the third round."

Oh great, the lights are out.

It's green again. Basically, the same happened. That R8 is one hell of a rocket launcher. I thought GT-Rs solely claim that title.

400reunion_5.jpg

Nigel: "Mid-engined layout coupled with 4WD is indeed the best combo for a good launch. If Louis drives something like a 911 Turbo S, then chances of our victory would even be slimmer."

I think we're doomed to lose here. But hey, we still have a lot more races to go.

400reunion_6.jpg

Andy: "This is getting ridiculous. First time ever to get this desperate."

Final round. Everyone is glued to the action. Dream Alliance will surely come up with a surprise.

Andy: "Takanori-san. I'm sorry..."

Takanori: "Don't blame yourself. It's my fault for being unprepared for situations like this."

400reunion_7.jpg

Andy: "Not that. But I'm doing something you Japanese very well know."

Takanori: "Eh???"

Andy: "I'm gonna "Kamikaze" this thing."

Kamikaze? What are you on about, Andy? Well, if you think that works, then stick to it...

End of Page 4

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Whoops! I'll cut this short! Of course there must be excitement at the end of a page!

- That "Re-Birth" song from WMMT5 is the one I always choose when I drive the R8 in that game. :lol:

Back