Takuma Gaiden II: Road to America (Pt. 2) - Page 31: LFA's Song

• Thread starter RCKakashi14
  • 1,053 comments
Ok, now that was a masterful cut in the story. I really want to know how ballistic will Andy go just to thrash the R8, after such a butt-kicking from the Audi...

This should be interesting alright, Andy will summon the Tora Tora spirit to bring out the best out of the GT-R. Go for it, Andy!

Page 5: Sweet Spot

23470531710_97eab72d88_c.jpg

The final round. Andy cannot afford to be floored again, hence initiating his "Kamikaze" plan. What is this?

I'm quite intrigued...

While waiting for the green light, the R8 revs repeatedly, while the GT-R seems to be stuck in a certain rpm, as I don't hear any repetition at all.

Takanori: "Wait a minute..."

Once again, the green light shows for one last time.

However...

23703239101_52237e1ccc_c.jpg

Louis: "Merde!"

Aha! Due to Louis' repeated revving, it just so happened the R8 was in its lowest rpm when it launched on green, bogging it down in the process.

23417745459_d7f554b683_c.jpg

I get it! Andy hit the "sweet spot"! Basically he launched at the ideal rpm range where the power band is. The result is that you deploy all the power at launch, at the cost of your clutch, with the drawback becoming more prevalent in heavily-tuned cars.

So this is the "Kamikaze" part he's talking about! He basically aims to get a great launch while fully aware of the consequences! The GT-R's dual clutch transmission still is the weakest link, and he used it as a scapegoat.

Sorry, Takanori.

23759569936_125f94c400_c.jpg

Louis: "Heh. He got me."

Because of that, we narrowly won the event. I don't like sacrifices, though...

23759569906_37e49c8c1a_c.jpg

Andy: "I got lucky this time. Good boy, GT-R. Sorry for stressing you out though."

According to the results, the GT-R topped out at 250 miles per hour and set a time of 27.2 seconds. That's a marginal improvement.

Louis: "Andy Midfield. Another fascinating opponent."

The two drivers get out of their cars, with Andy just looking casual aiming to downplay his victory.

Louis: "Felicitations." (Congrats.)

Andy: "I don't think I won here. I just got lucky, the GT-R finally cooperated."

Louis: "Don't be silly. Luck just comes in whenever it pleases. You cannot control it. You did your best out there, and that's the most important thing."

Andy: "Still... I don't find this justifiable. I don't feel any sense of utopia right now. I'm looking forward to our next duel."

Louis: "All right then. It's your choice if you call this a win on your part or not. But you'll be definitely seeing more of me soon.

Au revoir."

Louis leaves the premises, with Andy just leaning on the GT-R crossing his arms. He feels empty at the moment, despite bringing another victory for the team.

Time: 10 am, the next day

We then pay a visit to Andy to congratulate him. I know he feels displeased, but he still deserves the credit. He put on a lot of effort yesterday, you know?

Andy: "Oh, hey guys. Sorry if this place isn't tidied up yet."

Hiroyuki: "It's okay. We're here to make you feel better. You won, despite the "luck" we had. Luck is a mysterious force that randomly selects people. It doesn't find a basis. It simply perches on like a butterfly."

Andy: "I know. But, you know the feeling of success and joy when you achieved something because you truly worked for it, am I right? I don't like getting something when I've done absolutely nothing at all."

Hiroyuki: "That's where you're wrong. I thought you Americans are all about hard work and no superstition. We saw how much you're willing to win, and even did the part of taking care of Takanori's GT-R until you decided to sacrifice it. If there's something I've learned from people like you, it's that we just have to exhaust everything we have in our arsenal. No pain, no gain, am I right?"

Andy: "Thank you, Hiroyuki-san. You're right. But just to satisfy me a bit more, I decided to join a drifting tournament. It's a wonderful timing for both of you to actually come."

A drifting tournament? Well, if people like you who don't believe in luck, then it's a game worth trying, since it takes SKILL to prevail from it.

He leads us to his garage, and shows us a second-hand Dodge Viper SRT10.

23158878003_f5970afc75_c.jpg

Andy: "This was meant to be tuned as a drag racer, until Takanori-san and his GT-R came along. Good thing I haven't tinkered it yet. So instead, I'm pitting this in for Formula D."

Formula D? That's the biggest drifting event in this country! Wow, Andy... I guess he's truly motivated and eager to prove himself to the world.

Takuma: "Those things make over 500 horsepower, right? So that should be a good start."

Andy: "Wanna come along, Takuma-san? I just need someone to judge my sliding skills. I learned them from the streets. I need a drifting expert to watch me."

Drifting expert? Everyone has been associating the Japanese as drifters, hehe.

Takuma: "Sure. No problem."

Time: 1 pm

After eating lunch, we then head next to Willow Springs as planned. Hiroyuki-san returned to the hotel and just leave the coaching to me.

Andy is not bad, either. At least I'll find it easy to refine his skills for a bit.

23157521094_ca6b7f5f5c_c.jpg

He gets the basics nailed down - Power Over drift, Handbrake drift, and Countersteer.

23785687805_8d15f50272_c.jpg

With over 500 horsepower on tap, surely this thing is easy to drift as well. The torque actually makes the initiation of drift effortless. Power Over drift will be the commonly used trick for cars like the Viper.

Going sideways again. Oops, he missed the clipping point. That's the very crucial factor for scoring big points.

23157521114_8aa350ba45_c.jpg

23785687475_0ce0663bff_c.jpg

Andy: "How did I fare? I want an honest opinion from a Japanese, hehe."

Takuma: "You're good. It's just that your technique needs a bit of tweaking. You need to hit the clipping points, and since this car has three pedals, you might as well abuse the clutch for this, to make your drifts longer."

Andy: "All right, all right. I'm learning. We'll stay here until I got everything nailed down."

Oh boy. Hey, just make sure you still have rubber left for us to go home safely, okay?

End of Page 5

Last edited:
Andy is now Dream Alliance's own Samuel Hubinette, ladies and gents! :lol:

But seriously, great chapter. Andy was crazy, but he did have a method to his madness...

GOOD NEWS!

(And no... it's not the Dacia Sandero)

Thanks to a simple tool in Photoshop, the next arc is okay to go!

abu dhabi.jpg

abu dhabi_1.jpg

It will be entirely set in Abu Dhabi. So basically, the backdrop is Death Valley, but it will be Photoshopped and will turn into the sand dunes of the United Arab Emirates.

Title: The Oasis

Page 6: Retribution

Time for a free drifting lesson courtesy of Takuma Kanonji!

23200956403_eea38ab7cf_c.jpg

Hmmmm.... I'm not much of a drifter, even back in my days in The Proteges. I know the tricks that most pro drifters use, but I could say that I'm not the best.

Nonetheless, Andy is quickly picking up. Thanks to his prior experience, albeit street drifting. He just touched the cone, a sign that he knows the "clipping point" I'm talking about.

23827756065_77732579fe_c.jpg

As for the car, I can only say that it's very suitable for drifting. Old Vipers are known to be cranky and unpredictable, struggling to beat any Corvette with the exception of the ACR. Still, those quirks are actually useful for the art of sliding. Some tweaks won't hurt.

Takuma: "That's it... you're getting better. On the consecutive corners, let of the accelerator if you want to shift to another direction."

Andy: "Got it."

23801653786_2551f2192f_c.jpg

Now! Take your foot off the gas and turn!

23801653566_b56db13265_c.jpg

Takuma: "Good! Kick the clutch and don't lose it!"

23801653256_c4993ff87d_c.jpg

Hey, do you even need me here? Hehe. You're seriously good. Just some more practice and you can slide with the pros.

23459810419_ebf29f498e_c.jpg

Andy: "Woooooooooohaaaaaaa!!!"

Takuma: "Heh. You're truly on a hot streak."

Time: 2 pm

Meanwhile, Nigel hears someone knocking on the door. Upon opening, it turns out to be Rob, but not because he's being summoned.

Rob: "Where's Hiroyuki-san?"

The team chief immediately shows himself upon hearing the question, he is about to make a cup of coffee for himself.

Hiroyuki: "What brings you here?"

Rob: "Where's Takuma?"

Hiroyuki: "Oh, he just went along with Andy for some drifting pointers."

Rob: "Drifting? Did we join a drifting tournament?"

Hiroyuki: "Andy just did. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with our narrow victory from Death Valley Sprint."

Rob: "Hmmmm... that's not really part of our conquest, isn't it?"

Hiroyuki: "That's true, but we need more exposure here if we are to be noticed, and as well as to get our team back on track. Drifting could be another way."

Rob: "All right, as long as it won't mess up with our original intended plans. I'm itching for another bout with Louis."

Hiroyuki: "Hehehehe... I see. But you'll get your turn soon. For now, let's all uplift Andy to his path to glory, and...

...our path of retribution is now set. We'll claw our way back to where we used to be. I say, bring it on, Louis. I had enough of being awestruck at him. He deserves my praise and respect for sure, but that doesn't mean I'll just sit down and watch."

Rob shows a grin upon hearing Hiroyuki's newfound determination.

Rob: "Heh. That's the spirit."

Hiroyuki: "Now, on to another topic. In regards to Kaido's mysterious car delivery to Takuma..."

End of Page 6

Page 7: Slide Party

Time: 4 pm, the next day

Andy got the drifting sorted out. That's how I saw it yesterday. I'm not a drift expert either, but he's got the car in total control.

Today, we're doing the tuning. Surprisingly, he chose to go on a simpler route. He added bits of power, since the torque is already more than enough for the car to start drifting.

23918854581_dff4a13f02_c.jpg

And also, he took care of the exterior. Nice taste, man. Red and black always go in perfect harmony.

Andy: "There, all done."

Takuma: "That's all of it?"

Andy: "We participated in the Street class. So stripping out luxury is a taboo. I also took care of the tires and the chassis. No need to wonder why I was out for the entire morning."

Takuma: "I'm wondering though, if Blue Streak will take this seriously."

Andy: "They are. And Louis once again joins the party. He's as eager as we are. That guy never knows when to stop."

Takuma: "Agree. Even I have yet to have my revenge on him."

Andy: "Revenge? You? You mean...?"

Takuma: "He has to wait. I'm worth waiting for. My day of retribution is drawing near, not just our team."

Andy: "Day of retribution?"

Takuma: "Sorry... not day. But, a quest. He made one big mistake of quickly dismissing me."

Oh yes. He gets it. He will experience my wrath soon enough.

Meanwhile, the Blue Streak is also hard at work for Louis' drift car. The French racer decided to use his car for the participation, and pool in funds for extensive tuning.

While his crew is fiddling with the suspension, Louis observes the track. In the process, he notices a small speck of a black drift car. They're not alone.

23705708450_0edd931362_c.jpg

It passes by the main straight, and Louis is surprised to see a supercar being modified for drifting, which is a rarity considering how expensive they are to maintain.

23373188614_d331f6e8ec_c.jpg

23918854351_0a40bd2e91_c.jpg

Dmitri is intrigued as well.

Dmitri: "You think that's from Dream Alliance?"

Louis: "Most likely. We have to admit that they still have better funding than us."

However, the Lamborghini pulled over to the pit lane after another lap of burning rubber. To Louis surprise, it turns out to be Juri, who then gets excited upon seeing Louis again.

Juri: "Bonjour, mon cherie! Did I get that right? I don't know you French people..."

Louis: "Juri. It's been a while."

Juri: "So, you're joining Formula D? That BMW is here."

Louis: "You're right. What about you?"

Juri makes a sensual gesture, getting close to Louis and circling around him using suggestive movements, and finally caressing his face.

Juri: "Too bad I won't get to play with you, Frenchie. I'm with the organizers, to make sure people like you play nice. But I'm sure, that between us, we want to get naughty. I'm ready..."

Once again, she lashes out her tongue, slowly coursing around her lips.

Louis: "Huh?"

Juri: "AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh you. Hey, I'm kidding. Can I ride with you? I want it rough."

Louis: "As soon as the mechanics are done, we're set."

Juri: "Some hotties from Dream Alliance will also join the shindig. They tempt me. Make sure that I choose you. You look delicious, and I'm very... very much ready to sink my teeth on ya."

As Juri gets closer to him again, Louis starts to gulp.

Louis: "H-Hey! Ummmm.... they're done. Shall we go? I want you to see my improvement."

Juri: "Improvement, huh? Did you season yourself? I love marinated food."

She then taps her finger under his chin.

Juri: "All right! Let's go!"

Immediately after setting off, Louis initiates a slide, which made Juri smile in an instant.

23705708310_98f22ff903_c.jpg

Juri: "You now get the hang of the long slide. I love it."

Mid-way, the BMW slides close to the cones.

23373188374_92fd3280d9_c.jpg

Juri: "Good... good."

Then he takes his right foot off the accelerator and abruptly turns the wheel. In a split second, he slams his right foot back to the pedal in order to shift the body to another direction.

23893166932_725837c565_c.jpg

Juri: "Keep at it, big boy! I love it when you keep on hitting..."

Louis: "Seriously, why do dirty thoughts come to my mind whenever this girl is around?"

23633544839_13615d225a_c.jpg

Louis will have to hang on and bear with Juri's sensual behavior for a bit longer...

End of Page 7

23918878681_e232668988_c.jpg

Juri with a black Lambo wearing green rims? Oh I wonder where did that come from, with her being a woman who likes it rough and sideways... :sly:

Yes, AudiMan has already stated the obvious, but I wanted to kid around a bit

Page 8: Bad Guys

23914536722_3812bc3c17_c.jpg

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to both Andy and Takuma, Rob and Hiroyuki are within the vicinity of track's premises as well. They also have to get in shape for the GT races that will take place soon.

It took them weeks of fine-tuning, but finally Rob deduced that it's clear to run.

23395983253_8a155968c1_c.jpg

Ryuji Hiramoto, however, makes a surprise visit alone.

Ryuji: "Just came by to see you, big brother."

Hiroyuki: "Hehehehehe. How lovely of you."

Ryuji: "So, what are you cooking up? I've heard you also took part in drifting. Seriously, you could have just focused on the real racing. Drifting isn't one."

Hiroyuki: "We're just continuing our conquest here. Plus, the art of sliding is not to be trifled either. For many, it is a show. But if you're the driver, it's more than just showmanship. If you know how to manage a car at its very limits, then you can apply that skill to circuit racing as well. It works. Haven't heard of Keiichi Tsuchiya's beginnings?"

Ryuji puts up a grin upon seeing the car that will stand in his way.

23394544044_993c036435_c.jpg

Ryuji: "That McLaren? Are you kidding? We're going to send a more advanced Le Mans Prototype racer. After all, those are run-what-you-bring events. This is America. Racing cars here unleash their full potential. They hate restrictions, particularly in Can-Am."

Hiroyuki scoffs off that statement.

Hiroyuki: "Ahahahahaha. Why do you always make me laugh? Did you even read racing history? Do you even have an idea why every McLaren F1 GTR is revered by many? As all-time greats?"

The conversation turns into a serious tone.

Ryuji: "You always talk like you're a villain. You really are, with that kind of confidence."

23727091980_569762facb_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "If you think you're the heroes protecting this land, then simply put, we're the bad guys. I am that confident that we can troll you with the F1 GTR. It has done wonders."

23940205611_e916b3bd60_c.jpg

Ryuji: "I'm not done with you yet. I still have lots of ways on how to finally get out of your shadow."

Hiroyuki: "Hehehehehe. You can't even face your very own shadow. The shadow of your insecurities. Bring it on. I, too, have lots of ways on how to kick your ass. I can even do that literally."

Time: 7 am, the next day

Hiroyuki summoned both Rob and Takuma to his suite. It didn't matter to him if the two had lack of sleep...

Hiroyuki: "Good morning. I even expected both of you in pajamas."

Takuma: "What's the agenda today?"

Hiroyuki: "Supervise Andy's practice. Call him right now."

Nigel, at the mini-bar, overhears this and interrupts.

Nigel: "May I interrupt? Mr. Andy is already in Willow Springs, an hour ago."

Rob: "Never knew Americans can be early birds too."

Nigel: "I have his cellphone number in my memory bank, hence I was able to track him down."

23940205491_814342e375_c.jpg

Takuma: "No need to resort on that, Nigel. But still, at least he has the initiative."

Hiroyuki: "Good. Takuma, can you please check up on him? Rob and I still need to make preparations on our own."

Takuma: "Understood. Well, time for me to go. A drive to Willow Springs takes 45 minutes."

Meanwhile, at Willow Springs...

23914535802_5c09a2bdee_c.jpg

The modified Viper is on full force for the shakedown. Andy wastes no quarter trying to perfect his slides.

23996663396_f0a7b82be8_c.jpg

He has received word that Louis was on the track yesterday doing the similar thing.

Andy: "This proves it. Louis will indeed be my opponent."

23395982233_f0b8013e9d_c.jpg

Andy: "It still is a matter of skill, as to who will be the best on keeping the car in check."

23394542834_c9a7c99515_c.jpg

Andy: "Up for another round, Louis? Let's play.

End of Page 8

Page 9: Preliminaries

Time: 2 pm, three days later

Here we go, under the bright hot sun the Formula D takes place. As usual, it's a big event and we're quite surprised that there is a beeline of our fans asking for autographs or group photos.

Expected from a tuner event, I see a plethora of modified rear-wheel drive cars ready to take part. There is an abundance of S-Chassis Nissans, because they're ideal drift cars they say. I do see some American muscle cars as well, such as ours.

For the prelims, each participant has to perform a solo run. Elimination is based on the points of each drifter acquired from that run. Lowest points obviously won't make the cut.

We're the first to be called, but before Andy could get in, he is visited by Ridley, and judging by the way he carries himself, he made a significant improvement. He can walk without a cane, but still slow nonetheless.

Ridley: "Hey Andy!"

The two exchange a bro fist.

Andy: "It's been a while. Oh, you have no cane?"

Ridley: "I don't look like grandpa anymore. But still I'm not allowed behind the wheel. Thought that I should watch, since you joined and all."

Andy: "I'm nervous. Not even sure if I'll even make the cut."

Ridley: "I know you can. Plus, you gotta show that American Muscle can be good sliders too. I've seen too much imports. Hehe!"

It's our run. Like most events, drifters are given a specific stretch of the track for you to prove yourself. If you make it, though, the entire track will be the battlefield for twin drifts.

I'm watching. Hey, he's getting close to the cones. That means big points.

23768830630_0f91799c56_c.jpg

You think JDMs can only do that? Not really. This is coming from a Japanese, mind you.

23436267074_856f43cf01_c.jpg

The cheers are from our fans. Those are very relieving to hear, to think we've been defeated lately. It just goes to show that they still believed in us, in good times or bad.

23981905871_9b4fe72329_c.jpg

On the other side, I see Louis readying himself. He could be next in line. I wonder what motivated him to take drifting seriously? I'm sure it's not just about the snow rallying back in France.

23768829800_4862495db5_c.jpg

Our run is done. The judges seem to be impressed. I don't know. I didn't see them shaking their heads, that's for sure.

Next, it's Louis' turn.

23696674059_ef8a941669_c.jpg

Fascinating, a BMW 135i. You know, BMW is clearly an expert on making a rear-wheel drive chassis still packing with luxury, something that the likes of Mercedes, Audi, and even Lexus would only dream of. A drifter with funds would surely pick, let's say, an E30 or an E46. They have the combination of power and chassis performance that also make them good picks for drifting, provided that you have lots of money, of course.

A lot would say that any rear-wheel drive BMW would do the trick. You don't need to settle for an M car.

23696673769_1f3ccf2e9e_c.jpg

As far as I know, a BMW with a "35i" badge mean that it has a six cylinder. Perhaps that one makes well over 500 horsepower based on its pace on the straight and how much smoke it generated.

I don't want to delve too much on that. I am looking at the other participants having their runs.

23956350762_232603624d_c.jpg

23768828750_ce53c67106_c.jpg

While watching countless others trying their shot, Rob approaches me, always looking very stern in order to exude that air of badassery. He will always be the typical English badass.

Rob: "We've moved up yet?"

Takuma: "Not so sure about that, mate."

Rob: "On to a better news, I got another juicy info."

Takuma: "What's that all about?"

Rob: "According to intelligence reports, it turns out that Alan Long is the one injecting huge funds to Ravenwest. Now we have an excuse to take them on really seriously. I'm going to keep tabs on Hiroyuki-san's little brother. I now have my eye on him."

Takuma: "Is Hiroyuki-san aware of this?"

Rob: "Personally, I don't want him to get more involved. I don't care how long he'll spat with his little brother; but in regards to Alan, I have to keep him out of this."

Whoa. That's a shocking twist. Ravenwest already has a very strong foundation long before Ryuji Hiramoto took the helm. Financial issues? I won't rule that out. But there must be more to it than that.

Looks like our conquest here has taken to another level. If we are to bully Ravenwest just to get to Alan...

...then so be it.

End of Page 9

Page 10 - Awareness

The heat has gotten intense, both literally and figuratively as the Formula D progresses.

For this time around, the organizers have come up with a more exciting way of battling - Drift GP. This style was thought of by Juri, as it further emphasizes driver skill.

It's basically a two-lap race around the track and both participants have to drift through the turns. Gripping will lead to disqualification.

For Blue Streak Racing, Louis is very much eager to face his team's arch nemesis - the Dream Alliance no less.

The two teams wait for their turn as they watch the other participants battle it out with this new style of dueling.

Nina: "Louis, are you prepared for this new style?"

Louis: "I am. Remember, I used to be a street racer. I'm used to sudden changes of battle tactics or regulations. We simply duke it out to the finish, just with a new twist."

Nina: "I see. But I think it's best that we should focus more on the GT races here. Even sir Stephan thinks of the same way."

Louis: "I'm aware of that. But I cannot justify the final results of that previous drag race, neither does Andy. Hence, this is our next chance of continuing our duel."

Louis suddenly leaves and heads to Dream Alliance's tent for a little chat with Andy.

Rob: "Oh look who came. Bonjour, Louis."

Louis: "I want to speak with Andy."

Rob: "Right. There he is, attending to his car. He's been lonely out there, you might as well give him company, sonny."

Louis heads over to Andy checking the brakes of the Viper.

Louis: "Andy. Seems you're busy."

Andy pauses the task and faces his rival.

Andy: "Well, gotta be in top shape. I am both a mechanic and a racer. How cool is that?"

Louis: "Having a wide range of talents is very helpful indeed. But right now, I'm sure you're itching to settle this, once and for all."

Andy: "Heh. Oh yeah I am. Life isn't all about the straightaways."

Nigel suddenly interrupts their conversation.

Nigel: "Excuse me, but both of you are now called for the duel. Please get in your cars."

Andy grabs the Viper's key from the table, showing off a grin before he can get in.

Andy: "Let's do this."

Louis: "En garde, s'il vou plait."

Meanwhile, after looking at Louis entering the BMW as the battle is about to commence, Stephan returns to the caravan and then sit down, with a rather apathetic mood as if waiting for this day to end. Nina is seen preparing snacks inside.

Nina: "Mr. Stephan? Aren't you going to watch?"

Stephan: "To be honest, I find this a waste of time. There's no stopping Louis. But if he thinks he can learn from this, then I might as well support him."

He doesn't even mind that the battle has commenced.

23520730473_87d64b4b1a_c.jpg

Stephan: "I don't care who wins this duel. This is more of a continuation of that draw from that drag race that needs to be settled once and for all. I'm focusing on the more important matters. In short, this is a detour."

Nina: "Detour, huh? To be honest, I couldn't agree more."

23519314314_371d985c88_c.jpg

Stephan: "I don't want to make this boring, so let's talk about our real plans."

Nina: "Understood."

Stephan: "You see, I'm aware that Ravenwest will soon unleash their more powerful race cars. I saw their announcement of the Audi R18 TDI as their flagship race car. Naturally, I have to think of solution of that new problem. Thankfully I found one."

Nina: "What is it sir? A power upgrade for the GT By Citroen racing car?"

Stephan: "Just in case the Citroen proved to be inadequate for our conquest..."

23851883480_c4a8b9e55d_c.jpg

Stephan: "I purchased a second-hand racing car. It's currently sitting in our headquarters in Paris, and has been successfully restored and modified for the regulations. It has a very rich racing history, mind you. Apparently, the previous owner was proven to have taken an illegal drug for racing recently. This time around, that car will be driven by a more deserving driver."

Stephan crosses his arms and lean on the sofa.

End of Page 10

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Next page will be the duel proper. This page is some sort of an insertion, as my way of saying that I have made some changes in the plot.

- Looks like Louis has upgraded from "Bonne Chance" to "En garde, s'il vous plait". That's a sign that he's no longer a Mr. Nice Guy.

- The "Peskyrolo" returns. To be driven by a "more deserving driver". And you know who that is. :scared:

Last edited:
Page 11: Measurement Counts

The duel commences, with the crowd cheering loudly. I can easily tell that this will be a tough one. Andy has no idea how Louis perfected the art of car control.

23520730473_87d64b4b1a_c.jpg

23519314314_371d985c88_c.jpg

I'm already annoyed at the fact that Louis can pretty much take on any racing discipline and excel with it. He's like an antihero in a video game who gets in your way, or even a superboss.

Andy: "Shoot! Too much speed!"

Yikes, we're already down at the first corner. You can blame the Viper's torque for that...

24147615351_aca9f8a103_c.jpg

But this is just the beginning. Don't be a fatalist.

I then see Hiroyuki-san standing up in the tent. He goes towards this way. He wants a word or two, perhaps.

Hiroyuki: "Any observations or comments? As usual, I need both of your expert opinions."

Rob: "We're in a heap of trouble. If Louis can wrestle a Porsche 911 on ice and go toe-to-toe with the rally superstar Sebastien Loeb..."

24147614511_325b4e488d_c.jpg

24147614411_4f48635eed_c.jpg

Rob: "....then this is a walk in the park for him. This is tarmac, after all."

Takuma: "I agree. But I am already starting to see something that Andy can exploit and use it to turn the tables."

23601951684_b1fe29cfc7_c.jpg

Andy: "I still got ya, Frenchie. You have yet to have a slice of 'Murica."

Takuma: "While there's no denying the fact that BMW makes an excellent rear-wheel drive chassis, the laws of physics still overcomes it."

Rob: "What are you on about?"

23934591330_b8e7228d05_c.jpg

Takuma: "It's easy to see, even on just a glance, that the 135i is basically a shortened 3-series. And if you compare both the Viper and that BMW side-by-side, the Viper is definitely longer."

No matter how much Louis has mastered the art of drifting, he'll surely struggle because of one simple fact: Wheelbase.

24147614971_db6a4eabc0_c.jpg

Takuma: "A shorter wheelbase guarantees better maneuverability, but at the expense of stability. That's why you don't see a short-wheelbase LMP car in Le Mans, right? The same applies in drifting. Andy will surely tip the odds because of the Viper's longer wheelbase. The BMWs you see in drifting contests are mostly 3-series models because of their ample length, they aren't too short nor too long."

Rob: "Yeah, even I can't escape the fact that KTM X-Bows have dodgy handling. Those things love to tick, I can't even have a cup of tea while driving them."

24122116872_33c8085145_c.jpg

Louis: "Impressive. You managed to claw your way back? You are starting to show more promise."

24122116762_58849f2571_c.jpg

Takuma: "Plus, Andy didn't forget about raising the Viper's power. We can still fight back. Nothing lasts forever, even for Louis' streak."

24122116412_770e4ecc76_c.jpg

Andy: "Bonjour, Louis. I'm back. The drag race was just a fluke. A battle of real skill is the real deal."

End of Page 11

Page 12: En Garde

Andy has managed to recover. And half of the battle is already over.

24249095725_69682789cc_c.jpg

We still have one chance to make it to the top and prevail. Andy, floor it. This is our fight.

(Background Music: Shapeshifter - Celldweller)

23881241929_8e94c26bda_c.jpg

Andy: "That little BMW squirt shall fall prey from the venomous Viper."

Louis: "Adrenaline kicking in. Dream Alliance will never ever go down without putting up a good fight."

23622279493_407f0053e3_c.jpg

Andy kicks the clutch on corner entry and buries the throttle along with masterful opposite lock.

23620853424_8e189ae59e_c.jpg

Andy's persistence finally pays off, as the BMW runs wide, a sign of distraction from its driver.

24222969576_4f1179cbc4_c.jpg

Louis: "Merde! I slipped too much. The BMW's short wheelbase isn't going to help after all. I thought this tight course will prove to be my advantage."

Then Andy sees an opening at a wide 90 degree turn and actually aimed at the outside when the BMW clung too much at the inside.

24222969406_550d9f9f34_c.jpg

With over 600 horsepower on tap, Andy floors the Viper at the corner exit. The true worth of American Muscle shines.

Andy: "Have a slice of American pie, boy!"

The tables have finally turned as the black muscle car overtakes the limping BMW. Louis hears jarring noises, such as shredding metalwork. It turns out that the front suspension arm has been broken.

Louis: "No!"

23622278903_785bbef5d1_c.jpg

With just the final corner at sight, Louis still pushes through, and makes more effort in turning. But thanks to the broken suspension and with too much throttle input, the 135i decides to concede.

23620852904_10123df91f_c.jpg

Andy: "What's wrong? I thought Bimmers are the ultimate driving machines?"

Yes! We did it once again! And this time around, Andy has no excuse to complain. He earned this victory with his best efforts.

23622278693_0d89b335ca_c.jpg

Andy: "I can finally say that I truly won. Whew... I can rest for now."

Well well, time for a celebration at Casa de Midfield, eh? Uhhh... he isn't Spanish, though.

Time: 7 pm

A cookout is in order. I miss barbecue. Andy deserved this at all.

While I'm looking after the grill, Andy and the others are inside, you know, drinking beer and the other usual celebrating stuff that comes into mind.

Rob: "Hey sweetheart! Make sure the barbecue's juicy!"

Get over here, Deckard! YOU DO THE GRILLING! You claim to cook most of the time in your home, right?!

Yeah, yeah, you'll get your turn since our McLaren is done anyway. You're looking at it right now, Deckard?

24249094535_895fbb6d88_c.jpg

Rob: "It's your turn to shine now. I want to see the fruit of my labor. I'm ready to play with Louis once again."

Andy: "Hey! You've been staring at that thing over and over. It's not going to flee, right?"

Rob: "Heh. You'll be driving this too, soon enough. But since you had Louis a while ago, let me have him next. We all want a piece of him. Our team needs a proper comeback. More than just a retaliation. Domination is in our vocabulary. Just that one word."

Andy: "Getting badass like Statham, eh? I guess I should stop watching Downtown Abbey to understand Brits like you.

Anyway, get back in and enjoy the party. Barbecue's ready."

Time: 6 am, the next day

Even with Andy's barbecue party ended late last night, Rob makes it a point get up early for a jog. It's one among his morning routines even in a foreign land.

While listening to one of Adele's songs (an odd quirk of his given his tough persona) as he sprints through Hollywood Boulevard, he suddenly stops in his tracks.

It wasn't out of fatigue, as Rob's years of military and martial arts training provided him the endurance and strength of a war machine; but rather he sees Louis buying a newspaper.

Seeing a friendly rival wouldn't stop one from doing a task, but knowing their heated rivalry, Rob might as well strike a conversation.

Rob: "Yo, Louis!"

Louis: "Oh it's you. As expected, you're always getting in shape."

Rob: "That's what we need to keep ourselves sharp."

Louis: "Of course, for athletes like us, our skills are the most important asset."

Rob: "Now that our stupid side trips are done with, we're back to real business. I hope you haven't forgotten our wager."

Louis: "Don't worry, I always keep that in mind. As a side note, I am having fun of scarring my cousin for life."

Rob: "Nice little twist. But it's just you and me from this point on."

Louis: "Game on. En garde!"

Rob: "Bien sûr. And I'll make sure I'll pound you to the pavement."

Louis: "Imbecile. J'en ai rien à cirer." (Imbecile. I don't give a damn)

Rob: "T'es rien qu'un petit connard." (You really are an 🤬)

Louis:
"T'as pas de couilles!" (You ain't got the balls)

Rob:
"Mind if I resume? A good jog should not be interrupted by daft twits like you. See you at the track."

Rob immediately sprints back up to speed, his pace increasing as a sign of the resulting rise of tension between the two.

End of Page 12

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

-Seesh, for Rob to insult Louis in French, that goes to show how he doesn't allow himself to lose. Even badasses can get fuming in rage.

Page 13: All-Out War

Time: 4 pm

With Drag racing and Drift taken care of, let's get down to real business. So a little recap - we arrived here in USA with the McLaren fiddled mostly by Rob. While doing the racing, that car in question was being fine-tuned.

Now it's time for it to be unleashed, according to Rob.

He was about to be briefed early this morning by Hiroyuki-san, but it turned out that he went out for a jog not to mention he has a hidden talent of singing. Hehehehehe....

On to serious business, we are back at the Streets of Willow since the larger circuit is closed off to the public for most of the time.

It would be a great opportunity to test the McLaren's handling. And who's driving it? Surprise, surprise... it's Andy.

24243425546_1a8f8f99d1_c.jpg

He has to drive different types of cars if he is to fully commit himself to the team.

Andy: "Unreal... does it really have 680 horsepower? The straights are gone in a blink of an eye!"

Gotta love that naturally-aspirated V12 noise. It wails from the distance.

23641324344_ed8660481f_c.jpg

Get the feel of a born and bred racing car, Andy. It's much different from your Shelby.

24161398682_306c408eeb_c.jpg

Rob: "He's good at it. Important thing is he doesn't crash that bloody thing."

Takuma: "Andy's not going to hoon it around like a muscle car, right?"

Rob: "Better not be. But I have trust on him."

23901715269_8bd2360287_c.jpg

He then returns to us. Something wrong? He only did a few laps.

Andy: "It's so awesome! It may take some getting used to. But it's so damn good!"

Rob: "Thank you for the feedback, love. I'll write everything you said. Next time, a more detailed insight is in order. You are fully part of the team, and you should know that."

Andy: "I just got carried away, you know? I don't want to geek out too much, either."

Rob: "You're not going to be the team's head mechanic anymore. You're now a driver, and using your mechanical sense along with your driving skill should be a good combo. Nonetheless, I am impressed from your run.

Now, on to business. Surely you know how circuit races are being ran. No holds-barred. You Americans love those trivial things."

Andy throws back the keys to Rob with a smile to follow.

Andy: "I have to agree. My kind doesn't want to be restrained, in any form. Ravenwest will surely take advantage of that. I already saw what they're going send out - an Audi prototype. Don't know what it's called, though."

Rob: "Don't worry, mate. This bad boy gave prototypes a run for their money. Besides, I've got Louis to take care of."

Time: 8 pm

The meals via the room service have arrived. Nigel instructs the waiter to put them on a large table at the living area.

The amount of food is large enough for four people. Nigel then calls the room where Takuma and Rob are staying.

While Hiroyuki is taking a look at the meals, he suddenly feels a vibration. It's his phone from his pocket. Kaido is calling, all the way from Japan.

Hiroyuki: "Oh hello, it's nice of you to call. We haven't kept in touch for a while."

Kaido: "Oh I've been longing to have a chat with you. So, have you finally seen it?"

Hiroyuki: "Seen it? What are you talking about?"

Kaido: "Didn't Takuma send it over? I thought you're using it for your conquest there."

Hiroyuki: "Takuma haven't mentioned of sending over a car. Besides, we've deduced that the McLaren F1 is perfect for the job."

Kaido: "Don't be so complacent. Sure, the McLaren had achieved so much in its history, but remember, you are in America. Racing there means all-out war. They can send out whatever they please. In fact, the restrictions are very minimal compared to those in Europe and Japan. Pretty sure you're aware of what Ravenwest will duke out against you."

Hiroyuki: "I'm aware of those. Besides, those prototypes aren't gods. They must have have a weakness."

Kaido: "But, if ever things there get haywire, I suggest you talk to Takuma. He came up with a back up plan."

24269543605_38bfd9f34f_c.jpg

Kaido: "Though he is not aware of the fact that the dragon is yet to be awakened."

Hiroyuki: "Dragon? What are you talking about?"

Kaido: "If he runs it the way it is right now, it still is "asleep". He has to discover how to wake it up."

Hiroyuki: "You're cryptic. Don't copy me. If I find out that you had something to do with its so-called "slumber", I will not hesitate to take out on what's remaining of your teeth. Just so you know, my little brother Ryuji lost two when I beat him up."

Kaido: "You're getting braver and bolder now, Hiroyuki. I thought you have retired."

Hiroyuki: "I am still on fire. I cannot sit on my laurel just yet. This entire conquest is getting personal. Two days from now, we're heading to Road America circuit in Wisconsin. I won't show any form of mercy out there. The pinnacle of our conquest will be the Daytona 24 Hours."

Kaido: "So much in store. I am always impressed by your planning. Dream Alliance can never live without you, for sure. However, I wonder how far that McLaren will bring you?"

End of Page 13

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- That dragon, the Mazda LM55, will make its maiden race soon. Even in its restrained "Sleep" form, it will definitely cause shockwaves. :sly:

Page 14: Putting It Down

Time: 11 am, two days later

Oh great, we're out of California... for a while. Going to another state will definitely be worthwhile. It's a good thing that race tracks in the entire country are spread evenly.

Road America - one of the most popular circuits in the country. It has hosted races such as NASCAR and Indycar series. We've never set foot here, so we can't say anything on it just yet.

But there's one problem... it's pouring with rain. I asked Nigel for the forecast.

Takuma: "Will it rain on the race day?"

Nigel: "Unfortunately, yes. According to the forecast, overcast skies and rain will continue for the rest of the week."

Takuma: "I hope that in the next two days, the rain stays this way."

Nevertheless, we're clear to go. Rob is so much eager. What's going on? He's this excited ever since Le Mans. Did Louis agitate him again?

Without further word, he has set off.

23664518463_a7f45634f6_c.jpg

Andy, who took care of the setup, joins the conversation. He seems worried too.

Andy: "He can't just jump in like that. You do need to nurse your brakes on rain, plus this is a course that relies on braking."

Takuma: "Plus, we are dealing with a Le Mans Prototype from Ravenwest."

Hiroyuki: "Don't just get intimidated, Takuma. If this weather goes on, then we have a huge fighting chance. LMPs aren't gods. You must know what the McLaren F1 GTR did in its heyday."

24183146612_024623574b_c.jpg

Hiroyuki-san is very confident about this.

24291338925_a0bfa0b25c_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Those types of racing cars are among the most fragile ones ever to grace the race track. They are fast, but they also wear out pretty quickly compared to a production-based racing car. In Le Mans, the Prototypes tend to break down a lot more than a GT race car."

He makes a good point. Production-based racing cars have greater reliability, due to the fact that they once used to be road cars which were built to endure everyday abuse, then that trait is being carried over during the modifications.

23923489229_267912d1be_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Even if that is a diesel-powered Prototype Audi we're dealing with."

Andy: "A diesel Audi? Nice choice."

Then I hear a loud diesel sound coming from a truck. Looks like we're not alone. Another team will be practicing here. I wonder what team could that be?

Moments later, I now have a glance of the car being loaded down.

Chrome blue, number 17.... there's no mistaking it.

24291338835_4023861ce9_c.jpg

Wow. Blue Streak converted that Citroen GT supercar into a race machine? Look at that wild aero.

And Louis? He's already into battle mode, donning his racing suit and putting on the racing gloves as he watches the crew perform the initial set up.

Rob has done his warm up lap. Nigel is recording the lap time. Oh great, Rob will have another spat. His best buddy is here.

23663115064_17783f4dab_c.jpg

Andy: "When Rob and Louis collide, it's like the earth will shake."

Takuma: "Those two will be at each other's throats again."

23664518213_479abc265c_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Out of all the rivalries I've witnessed, those two are arguably the most exciting, even more so than your father and I did."

Takuma: "I couldn't agree more. What do you think of Blue Streak's race car?"

Hiroyuki: "We could be at a disadvantage, since the car has more advanced aerodynamics than ours. A car that puts down better downforce on rain will prevail.

But I bet, those two drivers will make a difference. It isn't a matter of theory now."

23923488819_513b495a17_c.jpg

Rob has completed another lap. I wonder how long he'll practice?

24183146132_e3d028b46e_c.jpg

Nigel: "Oh, Mr. Rob will go back in the pits. The car needs some re-adjustment. But he did set an amazing lap time."

Andy: "I knew it. Having driven that thing, the tail is always on the verge of losing control."

Takuma: "All McLaren F1 owners, at one point, have agreed that the back end is skittish."

Rob has returned. He looks back, having noticed Louis. He takes off the helmet and just placed it on Nigel's hands as he approaches Louis.

Rob: "Andy, soften the rear. This car bites."

Andy: "Understood. Will work on it."

Nonetheless, he reaches his arch nemesis.

Rob: "Bonjour, Louis. Nice to see you."

Louis: "Hi there. I was expecting for you. What's the agenda for today, Mr. Statham?"

Rob: "2 minutes and 14 seconds. What do you say?"

Louis: "Heh. C'est un bel endroit pour se battre, tu ne crois pas?" (Heh. This is great place to fight, don't you think?)

Rob: "Every track we've set foot on to is definitely a lovely place to have a spat."

Louis: "Ahaha... Tu ne crois sûrement pas que tu peux me battre?" (Ahaha... you surely don't believe you can beat me?)

Rob: "Let's just see. If I were you, I'll set off now. The rain might get worse."

Louis: "All right, then. You asked for it, and I'll give it."

Oh boy... I wonder what transpired between the two? Deckard surely loves a good taunt.

23664517533_3e25269ed2_c.jpg

Just make sure it won't bite you back, baldie. We all experienced Louis' fury.

End of Page 14

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Oh Rob... here you go again, provoking Louis. You never learn, do you? :lol: You'll see how he'll fare in the next page.

- Louis' French quotes are basically taken from Lili's intro quotes from Tekken 7. By the way, I prefer her speaking in French. :P

Louis speaking like Lili? Now that is a personality trait I didn't see coming, a badass French racing driver speaking like a spolied French brat who likes to look down on her rivals... Tekken can really influence your story in strange ways, huh? :lol:

But Rob won't be laughing once he has to face off against Louis one more time...

Page 15: Lap of Provocation

Great, Rob has provoked Louis once again. Provocation is arguably the dumbest thing to do in life. Even if you have a close friend, you never know what they are capable of if they are threatened.

And that could lead to disastrous consequences. Not that I'm exaggerating or anything...

Hiroyuki: "This is a fascinating session today. We'll get to see Louis at his very best once again."

Takuma: "Only because Rob provoked him... seemingly."

Hiroyuki: "That's one form of encouragement in the heat of the rivalry. Both people must push each other. If it wasn't for my provocation, you'll never be here standing with me right now. That's how powerful it is."

Oh... so you ticked off my father back then? Did he punch you on the face or something?

Background Music - Pas Avec Toi - Plastiscines (Gran Turismo 5 Soundtrack)

23685276934_7cdda417ee_c.jpg

There, Louis has done his warm up. The clock starts ticking.

23945672159_64c54d7a4d_c.jpg

Huh? The precipitation has gotten heavier. That will impact on Louis' time.

Meanwhile, I am observing the rest of the Blue Streak crew. There's that robotic female Nina, and...

...Dmitri Ivanakovitch?! That's a face I haven't seen for a long time. There is a chance that I'll clash with him again someday. I'm looking forward to that, heh.

24313503305_b3f4b88d2e_c.jpg

Louis: "Good speed at this back straight, I'm touching almost 300 km/h."

Then Rob... I bet he's anxious.

Rob: "What are you staring at, sweetheart? You can kiss me if you want to, and tell the world if you also want."

Takuma: "Erm... nervous much?"

Rob: "I'm not. Why would I? So what if he posts a faster lap time?"

23945671839_3ded5be61b_c.jpg

Takuma: "You aren't bothered by that at all?"

Rob: "Remember, I am an MI6 agent specializing in interrogation. Provocation is the solution to make people bark. The similar applies here. I am simply letting Louis to go flat out like hell."

24313503255_5e5e7355a5_c.jpg

Rob: "Louis and I don't want our matches to be boring. We provoke each other. This is cool."

Takuma: "Just make sure that whatever you're doing won't cost you your pride."

23945671619_c7726a4058_c.jpg

Rob: "No need to warn me, dear. Thanks for your everlasting concern."

Takuma: "Pfft! Whatever, Deckard. One of these days, I'll also square off with you. You may kick my arse in sparring, but things change behind the wheel!"

There it is, we can hear the loud exhaust note roaring through the main straightaway.

24230986071_25a70e5d7a_c.jpg

Nina then finishes the recording the moment she sees the Citroen blow past by.

24287346126_a74050235f_c.jpg

Nina: "2 minutes and 12 seconds."

Woah... did I hear it right? That's two seconds off Rob's time. Care for a few words, Deckard?

Rob: "That nitwit smashed my record? Heh... at least I'm glad to know he's in shape. I hate mollycoddling."

Takuma: "Ehh???"

Admit it, Rob. You wet your pants on that lap time. We all know how sharp Louis is. Sharp as you.

Rob: "I now expect more from him. He's not bollocks anymore."

End of Page 15

Page 16: Defying Odds

Time: 2 pm, two days later

Oh boy, we've been floored by Louis again. Strangely enough, Rob finds it acceptable since he wants him to be in top shape just to make sure their rivalry still holds water.

And speaking of water, rain is still coming down heavily for the past two days.

24410237936_1d7b74c1fc_c.jpg

I'm hoping Andy is holding out nicely until Rob gets to play.

24410237826_ab1e8019e0_c.jpg

The race is reaching its close, but we're still far behind Ravenwest's Audi R18. Le Mans Prototypes do mean serious business, but Hiroyuki-san seems to be so composed about this matter.

Hiroyuki: "What do you expect? Ryuji will exploit everything in his arsenal. That's how much he values performance, more so than driver involvement."

24436447375_8a5555f0e4_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "But once again, he's not using his head. No wonder I'm always a step ahead."

Such confidence. Or maybe perhaps that's brought about by his pride.

24353999681_96bbdd0d8a_c.jpg

That Citroen from Blue Streak gets all the attention. A very rare supercar given a racer treatment is definitely a feast for the eyes. But it isn't all for show. Andy is also struggling to catch it, either. Our McLaren could be best described as...

...archaic.

24068653069_77ed30b5c7_c.jpg

However, Nigel has noticed something...

Nigel: "Strangely, the Ravenwest R18 has dropped its pace. Mechanical issues?"

23808242964_c2e35af915_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "I highly doubt it's something major. I gotta commend that car, though. Prototypes truly are on a different level. You could say they are just a step closer to a Formula machine. However, in racing circles, the rain washes out any advantage one has. Even ours. It makes an even playing field."

24068652839_2a76ee78f6_c.jpg

Shortly, we noticed the Audi entering the pit lane and entered the garage. Good. We have time to recover.

Hiroyuki: "I wonder what's wrong? It does look promising."

Then we hear a transmission from Andy.

Andy: "I'm pitting in. All yours now, Rob!"

Rob: "Roger that. I'm prepared."

I then take a peek at Ravenwest's garage. Turns out that they are changing the rear brakes... and so does the driver. A driver named Francois Montagny will run the last leg. Isn't he the one who drove the Veyron in the Death Valley Sprint event?

Next, the Citroen comes in for a refuel and driver change as well. Louis will take the helm.

Heh... I guess the final leg will be a lot more exciting. Before they can set off, Rob and Louis have a little banter.

Rob: "Louis... let's do this."

Louis: "Vive le France!"

Rob: "I love your patriotism. Why can't others be like that?"

All right, we're done. The car's topped up!

Takuma: "Rob, get in! The McLaren is refueled. Plus, Ravenwest is ready to take off too."

Rob: "See you at the finish line... mon cherie."

Louis: "Hmph!"

The three cars leave the pit lane in a rather spectacular fashion. I can notice the audience hanging on their seats, and some cheering louder amidst the heavy rainfall.

24353999131_78964176ba_c.jpg

24328169492_3ce3b3706a_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "This is when the real battle begins. Can Ravenwest hold out? Little do they know what happens when Rob and Louis are in a battlefield."

Takuma: "Oh yeah, I still can't get over what happened in Le Mans."

Could that kind of excitement make a return? Let us see. As far as I know, nothing gets in the way of those two.

End of Page 16

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Oh finally! After a brief hiatus, I'm back. Well, that's mainly because of the availability of volunteers. But still, I always thank them for their support.

Page 17: Out of the Way

It's the last three laps, but even then, we cannot afford to be rash and quickly come up with an attack plan.

24163497230_942da456c7_c.jpg

The road is totally wet. One could even slip, I'm tapping my foot on the asphalt. Rob has to come up with a carefully executed plan. He's from the MI6, after all. I'm sure this is just another mundane task for him.

But then... he also has Louis to take care of.

24163497030_9de7273139_c.jpg

Rob: "Ravenwest is putting up good fight too. Or is it because of that LMP Audi?"

Background Music - Elements of Trance by ACM (DJ Kim's reloaded mix)

24163496810_2dfff4068e_c.jpg

Francois: "As long as I can block those two for these three laps, I should be fine. I have been under pressure before. I have been to countless races under Ravenwest. Things like these are very normal to me."

24163496570_42f94c98be_c.jpg

Rob: "Time to play. There's no use lagging behind to think."

Not minding the slippery surface, Rob floors the accelerator pedal, but still with controlled pressure.

Francois still keeps his confidence. After all, the two cars do belong in a lower category...

...or are they? Categories could merely be names.

24432886586_5a53d4b774_c.jpg

Francois: "Le Mans Prototypes are on a class of their own. Even in these wet conditions, it will prevail even against a lower powered car. They're built to take on any adversity on the track! So surely I can win by leaving those two buffoons behind!"

But the force... or rather pressure, is strong on this one. A slip up occurs, a sign that Louis takes things up a notch.

24350786802_f06c33c396_c.jpg

Louis: "You'll always fall before me, Francois. I swear to god. My presence alone is enough to crumble puny beings like you."

Second to the last lap. Rob has finally made his move. Ravenwest is ours for the taking.

24432886136_70ff47185d_c.jpg

Rob: "Don't forget our little wager, Louis."

Meanwhile, at the pit lane.

Ryuji: "Say, Hiroyuki. You seem to be very calm about this."

Hiroyuki: "A calm sea can hide ferocious beasts underneath."

Ryuji: "Ah yes, your usual figures of speech. But are you sure of dinging your McLaren against our LMP?"

Hiroyuki: "It seems that you still haven't learned a thing or two. Why do I even bother talking to imbeciles like you? You put so much trust to your cars."

Ryuji: "That's because a thousand hours have been spent to perfect it. Le Mans Prototypes could even be a step closer to Formula 1 cars. That Audi has served Ravenwest very well, even before I took the helm."

24091302999_915abe28d9_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "That could be true. But remember which teams are hot on your tail right now. Battles progress differently. You cannot say the same for the other. To make me jog your simple mind, remember which car won the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. Then let's see if you can still say the same crap."

24091302759_a7da5005aa_c.jpg

The tides of battle have started to turn. Francois still cannot escape the pressure brought on by his two opponents.

Francois: "What the heck is going on?! Why are those production-based racing cars still behind me?!

Francois: "This car has been running perfectly for the entire race! I can confidently step on the pedal even with this rain! I have all the downforce I need! Yet why?"

24432885446_4ab69650ff_c.jpg

Francois: "My task is to drive those two teams away. My duty is to keep Ravenwest's stronghold in North America!"

23830885634_1c15b8e502_c.jpg

Then in a blink of an eye...

...everything comes rushing down.

Background Music - Initial D 5th Stage Soundfiles: Battle I

24376645891_f1e8f1f2d2_c.jpg

Louis: "Francois, your time is up. Get out."

Suddenly, I notice the crowd from the bleachers standing up from their seats and looking at one direction. What's happening? They're cheering wildly!

Nigel: "The three cars are lining up side-by-side as they enter the final lap!"

23832291253_01ed62a699_c.jpg

Francois, now gets frantic seeing the two cars seemingly pinning him on both sides.

Francois: "Is this really happening?! What are you two doing?!"

Both Rob and Louis keep their foot planted on the accelerator. They do share the same desire to humiliate Ravenwest after all. Their wager is a proof.

Rob and Louis: "OUT OF MY WAY, RAVENWEST!"

24376645431_645e67c4cb_c.jpg

Nigel: "Both the McLaren and Citroen make a pass on that Audi!"

Hiroyuki: "Hmph..."

Ryuji: "Now's not the time to be cocky, my big brother. Things can change in a blink of an eye. Francois can reverse the situation in an instant."

Hiroyuki: "You don't like to get in the middle of one of motorsport's greatest rivalries. Trust me, it happened once. In fact, you already did the big mistake two laps ago. You are now suffering the consequence."

24163493620_f861361552_c.jpg

Rob: "Now, it's just between you and me again, Louis. Let's play. I'll definitely be on guard."

End of Page 17

Hey, Kakashi, didn't you forget to mention one thing? There is a little Easter Egg related to one of the cars used throughout this three-way battle... and I won't tell readers much more than that.

For now, that is. :sly:

Page 18: Just the Two of Us

Background Music: Brain 30 [Train Psycho 303 Mix] - Midnight Club II Soundtrack

23871893394_329b3caace_c.jpg

Francois: "I will not accept this. Two up-and-coming racing teams outdoing an elite team?! Ravenwest is not a laughingstock!

Nor both of you should be laughing!"

24204532780_31da26ee92_c.jpg

Rob: "It's just between you and me now, Louis. About the wager, let's just say both of us got a point."

24500086965_abc0a419d5_c.jpg

Louis: "Don't play with me now. From this moment on, you cannot afford to mess around with me, Mr. Rob Hatch. Beating your lap time during the practice was a telltale sign."

However, the rivals do not mind the charging R18 behind them, still never giving up.

Francois: "This is the last lap, idiots. I can still turn the tables in my favor!"

While Francois did manage to slow down effectively, his doggedness prompted him to step on the pedal much harder, but since the road has been in its slipperiest, the the wheels spin too much due to the high torque nature of the diesel engine.

This results for the Audi spinning out.

24204532530_3690046829_c.jpg

However, the two didn't mind as if they're the only ones in the track. Nothing can get in the way between them, as Hiroyuki previously mentioned.

When news of the crash reaches Ravenwest, Ryuji simply walks out.

Hiroyuki: "Too bad. I told you, you simply cannot interfere with their rivalry."

Ryuji: "Oh shut your trap. I still have the 24 Hours of Daytona to prove myself that I'm no longer the loser you used to view."

Hiroyuki: "Oh, add "sore" in the description. Toodaloo!"

Ryuji: "Hmph!"

24132334479_d37e85da62_c.jpg

Rob: "The McLaren's engine is miles more responsive. Plus, thanks to Andy's readjustment, the back end is not skittish anymore."

For the final moments, everyone has now their eyes straight on to the heated rivalry.

Obviously, Francois is not too happy about the experience. This will leave a mark in his career.

24391793732_c631a5256e_c.jpg

Francois: "Damn you... ever since you appeared, Louis, my life has crumbled. Why are you so skilled?! I don't even understand how an underdog like you climb up to the ranks."

24391793572_eb74d0d9c6_c.jpg

At a high speed corner, Rob floors the accelerator, confident with the new stable setup.

24391793382_e714b6cc87_c.jpg

Naturally, Louis tucks in, to block the passing attempt.

23871892454_5172408b92_c.jpg

Rob: "You're asking for it, Louis. That's how the way we should play. But I'm afraid this is the last lap. One has to slingshot to the finish. And yet I'm falling behind..."

However, Louis fell into the trap of the sharp right hand turn after blasting down a short straight. The braking force wasn't enough, hence sending the Citroen out.

23873279843_b55a74cda7_c.jpg

Rob: "I believe in luck now. Thank you Lady Luck! Time to push!"

The setback significantly narrowed the gap, allowing Rob to have one last opportunity to grab the victory. He once rejected the belief of luck, but now having seen by his very own eyes, his notion changed just as he thinks no longer has options.

24417704851_054e296f4a_c.jpg

The final corner appears before them. Both are about to perform their last ditch effort.

23871892064_a79090790e_c.jpg

Without the worry having the explosive torque coming from turbocharging, Rob puts the pedal to the metal on the final turn as he sees the Citroen carefully treading through.

24132333649_cf473c8dd0_c.jpg

Louis: "What?!"

Rob: "You're out of luck, monsieur. You blew it!"

24391792792_8b40ef56c8_c.jpg

Not even the latest turbocharging technology can match the responsiveness of a naturally-aspirated motor. Rob takes that fact into heart, allowing him and his McLaren to blast through the main straight in full force.

24391792812_07c87ae5b3_c.jpg

Takuma: "Go for it, Deckard! Keep on stepping!"

24132333049_ebb0f82a07_c.jpg

The checkered flag is waved as the original hypercar blitzes by. Dream Alliance bags another victory. Their road to recovery is very straight and clear for them, as long as they pour all of their effort into it.

Hiroyuki: "Today, skill prevailed over technology. Not even the Citroen's aerodynamics can match the sheer might of one Rob Hatch."

Takuma: "He'll be cocky again tonight. But what the heck, he simply turned the tables!"

Andy: "And he has to treat us for dinner."

After the awarding ceremony, Rob approaches Louis who is seen taking off his race suit as he and his team are packing up. A silver medal is still an achievement...

Louis: "Congratulations. It was a hard fought battle."

Rob: "Le moment de la victoire, j'adore!" (That moment of victory, I love it.)

Louis:
"Hmph. Let's play again sometime, baldy."

Rob: "Of course. Don't forget, the world is our playground. Only the two of us are allowed in it."

End of Page 18

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- One little sidenote. See the discrepancies on Blue Streak's GT By Citroen Race Car? There are two of them. But at least it looked close enough.

Page 19: Attack of the Prototypes

Time: 3 pm, two days later

After our rather close victory, along with the realization that the rain was on our side, Hiroyuki-san decided that we should step up.

But what really set the drive...

...is that the McLaren failed to start after the race for two days. We even had to push it all the way to the trailer which was parked a bit far from the pit garage.

Andy and Rob are working on it for sure. The two are glued to the engine bay for the entire day, until they call it.

24249094535_895fbb6d88_c.jpg

Andy: "This isn't healthy."

Rob: "I'll send this back to Woking, then. Perfect timing, I'm needed back home."

Andy: "I see..."

Rob: "Don't worry, that little shrimp Takuma has all the expertise you need for the upcoming race. We'll still sail smooth without me. Takanori is on his way here."

Andy simply takes back all the tools. Oh shoot, I forgot... I need to go back to the hotel to report.

Takuma: "Want to come with us, Andy? We're going to see Hiroyuki-san."

Andy: "Sure. Ummmm.... let me just get dressed and off we go."

Time: 3:30 pm

Reporting for duty. Wait, why does it seem like we're in a spaceship in some galactic sci-fi TV show?

Hiroyuki: "So it still won't start."

Rob: "I'm being summoned back to London. I'll send back the McLaren to Woking for the time being. We still have three weeks, am I right?"

Hiroyuki: "Three weeks is a surprisingly short amount of time. Mr. Hatch. And the moment I saw Ravenwest's R18 made me raise my guard. The fact that it rained on that race somehow gained my confidence.

If it had been dry, then we stood no chance. They'll definitely using it again for the Daytona 24 Hours."

Andy: "And it doesn't rain much in Florida. So basically we've ran out of luck this time. We need a better car."

I guess this is my cue. I don't want us to get it in a hopeless situation. I will be the one taking charge this time.

Takuma: "Ummmmm..."

Hiroyuki: "You want to say anything, Takuma?"

Takuma: "You see, I have a back up plan."

Rob: "Oh lord, you try to be me, eh?"

Takuma: "Your time is up, Deckard, ha! Well, even that car came as a surprise. I even have yet to get over its astounding performance."

Hiroyuki: "You talked to Kaido, am I right?"

Takuma: "I did, but he wasn't forthcoming. All I know is that it's basically my Mazda Furai... reborn."

Hiroyuki: "Quite intriguing. All right, Rob, please take care of shipping Takuma's mystery car. We have just three weeks. I'll pay for express freight. We need those weeks to familiarize the car. Plus, we'll do it in Daytona for better simulation."

Rob: "Roger that. Now, little shrimp, give me the details."

I then put up a grin on my face. Hehehehe... up yours, Deckard. The spotlight isn't yours all the time. Ha!

24519284945_e48d8ced45_c.jpg

Time: 5:30 pm, one week later

One week has passed, and Hiroyuki was correct. Time flies indeed.

And for that, the Blue Streak team decided to come up with a better way to fight off Dream Alliance. They, too, have been cautious of Ravenwest's actions lately. The R18 prototype left a lasting impact.

So what car is Louis running under the bright sunset?

23892465423_6bce1e47f7_c.jpg

The second-hand Pescarolo was further modified before being brought to the track, all facilitated by Louis via a series of phone calls all the way to France.

Nina: "Any modifications done? It seems radically modified, different from the photo you showed to me."

Stephan: "Ah yes. As usual, Louis took charge of the entire task. No wonder he's been making a lot of phone calls to France lately."

23891092084_2f26f385b4_c.jpg

Stephan: "Externally, he changed the livery, as he thought the former one wasn't "blue" enough. Hence he went for a white and blue theme, with waves symbolizing our team's name."

Dmitri: "Quite a cliche."

Stephan: "More importantly, he asked the crew to reduce the size of the rear wing, as it's too tall. He prioritized the reduction of drag while maintaining the same amount of downforce as the original."

24436917441_d77a38a57a_c.jpg

Stephan: "Then of course, restrictors were put in place for the regulations. Prototypes should make no more than 600 horsepower. But if you ask me, that car proved that money is no object. A privateer team with little funding fielded those in Le Mans, and gave the Audi works team a run for their money."

While limited in power, the Judd V10 roars, shattering the silence of the rather large area.

23891091744_46bf8f1bc2_c.jpg

Stephan: "Henri Pescarolo is a genius indeed. He used his experiences as a Le Mans racer in his youth to create a race car that is very suitable for it. It all paid off, even if it only secured a podium finish of second."

24436917101_afc8bd91cf_c.jpg

Stephan: "I definitely place my trust on all three of you for the upcoming race. But in the hands of Louis....

...even Dream Alliance will suffer. To think all of these were possible by just a number of phone conversations. He didn't go to France because he's strapped for time, but he made sure every detail is taken care of."

The die has been cast. Cards have been laid out. Which one will prevail the gamble, and take the grand prize?

End of Page 19

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

- Allow me to explain why I made a major change in Blue Streak's weapon of choice. From C60 Hybride '05 to C60 Judd GV5 '04:

- I simply ran a test of those two cars in 24 Minutes of Le Mans. Surprising enough, the Judd GV5 in its 830 HP form (just oil change) is as fast as the Hybride yet more fuel efficient. It took three laps to consume its entire tank of fuel whereas the Hybride needs to top up after just two laps (you can still skip it and go for the third lap, but it will run out of juice before reaching the pit). That efficiency alone decided the change. Besides, the Judd GV5 looks better, and doesn't look like an ad for a certain toothpaste product like the Hybride is. :lol:

Page 20: Asleep

Time: 1 pm, one week later

That addiction... it came rushing back. Here it comes.

That high-pitched roar.

The low slung height.

The agility and downforce.

They're all back... sucking me in!

24477006141_a6f92db813_c.jpg

It doesn't feel like 500 horsepower at all. It's just too rapid. But the dyno did not lie either. That's what a Rotary can do for ya.

This car is making me giggle and laugh once again. It's just so entertaining. The signature high-pitched note of a four-rotor engine is simply music to the ears. I can drive this all day!

However, a while back, Hiroyuki-san isn't too enthusiastic. I wonder what he's thinking right now? Does he have doubts?

24477005871_c67b67ac67_c.jpg

And the doubtful racing chief heads out of the caravan along with Andy just to have a good look of the car's run.

Hiroyuki: "It has promising performance. The way it corners is close to that of a Formula 1 car. However, I still can't put my finger on what Kaido had said. Why is it "sleeping"? And Takuma's knowledge is the "key". Takuma is correct, Kaido isn't forthcoming. But he's like that since... ever. He always make it a point for his customers to know more about their cars, not just sending it to a tuner like hoping for a magic trick."

Andy: "Man, that sound. Never thought that Rotaries can come up with that. I thought there's a Formula 1 engine dumped in there until I took a peek. The engine is quite small. Takuma-san said that it has 2.6 liters and four rotors."

24477005821_7b71c0473d_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "Any more comments about the engine?"

Andy: "I have yet to drive that thing. And to be honest, I am seriously thrown off by Rotaries. I've never worked on one. Here I thought their compact and simplistic design makes them easy to tinker. However, they're not. I've heard horror stories. Yet Takuma-san is so dedicated to his craft."

Hiroyuki: "To tell you the truth, I have doubts. Sure, it's fast and all, but there's something in it. I cannot put my finger on it.

Andy: "I can't blame you. Plus, the engine bay looks so complicated, an irony given how compact the engine is."

24533128296_964f99896f_c.jpg

Andy: "But hey, it clocks in at 200 miles per hour. Now that's something unexpected from a Rotary making just 500 horsepower. I thought they're just light but unreliable engines."

Upon hearing the horsepower figure, Hiroyuki crosses his arms and shakes his head for a bit.

Hiroyuki: "Hmph. But I'm willing to put my faith on that car. After all, I trust Takuma a lot. His experiences would explain that."

Andy: "No doubt about that. And right now, I'm itching to have a go with that. Plus, 8 forward gears are an icing on the cake."

Hiroyuki: "Don't mess with my head, Kaido. What are you hiding? Takuma and I will find that out soon enough. I can hear the engine note loud and clear as the car blitzes along.

It sounds like...

...it's lazy. That might explain that it's "sleeping". I have this strange feeling."

24559311245_696a0af948_c.jpg

Hiroyuki: "The way I hear the gearchanges also backs up my suspicions. They're too quick to shift, very close ratio. Usually, a car lacking in power would compensate for shorter ratios. Could it be...?"

Then they see the low-slung purple racer soaring at 200 miles per hour. It then shifts down quickly.

Andy: "Those downshifts sound pleasant. The popping sounds are addictive. It's safe to say that we're no longer scared of Ravenwest's R18. I wonder if Blue Streak also joined the bandwagon."

Hiroyuki: "That's no question. They will come up with a prototype for sure. You know Louis. He's surprisingly feisty.

We might have a fighting chance, knowing a Rotary engine's capabilities."

Andy: "Let's make it sure we have one."

Hiroyuki: "So help me god, I hope my doubts are allayed soon. Having read the latest memo, we're actually 100 horsepower down from the limit imposed.

Kaido, I'm going to beat you up once I find out you did something sinister. It'll be up to us to win this gamble. We'll ensure that it'll be worth it.

Even Takuma isn't aware of the current situation, yet he holds the key. He must jog his mind."

Then Hiroyuki ends his train of thought. He faces Andy once more.

Hiroyuki: "Andy, it may sound strange, but can you look further into the engine? You should be able to familiarize yourself with the Rotary. Takuma should help you out."

Andy: "All right. I'll give it a try. We learn something new each day."

End of Page 20

Back