Tandem Logic.

• Thread starter Gonales
  • 349 comments
Considering your other posts towards me in other thread, I was quite defensive, definitely after your choice of owrds. ("No, silly..."), I know it's an expression but still... Why call someone silly for asking a question? (Just curious as well, no offence taken). Hereby I apologise for my earlier statement. ("It says more about you than me").

I tend to call someone "silly" every once in awhile. Ususlly if they get defensive over something. No need to apologize, just wanted to know what's being said about me. If that makes sense.

I tend to call someone "silly" every once in awhile. Ususlly if they get defensive over something. No need to apologize, just wanted to know what's being said about me. If that makes sense.

Yes it does. Anyway, IF you are willing to take something from me, take it from me that tandems can include more than one car. :) You may disagree with some of my opinions, but this is just based on experience really. ;)

I think the problem here is that some people here think that the term tandem is only referring to drifting. It's commonly used in things, say like sky diving. Me and my buddy sky dive all the time and when there are 2 or more, usually 5, people jumping out consecutively, it's a tandem! Not an opinion, fact!

People should also know that dictionaries online aren't reliable sources, there could be typos and mistakes that could take the whole meaning out of context.

Is it bad that I just say tandem all the time in drifting regardless of the number of people I'm drifting with? :lol:

Tandem strictly means a 2some, a pair, a couple but I say it too when drifting meaning 2 or more cars. & @ Nyordia I tandem with myself (ghost car) thats a wierd 1 man tandem & even worse you dont get to see the sick door to door you did in replay.
Collins dictionary: very reputable source not wikipedia
tandem*(ˈtændəm )*
Definitions
noun
1. A bicycle with two sets of pedals and two saddles, arranged one behind the other for two riders
2. A two-wheeled carriage drawn by two horses harnessed one behind the other
3. A team of two horses so harnessed

Last edited:
Bluntified
I think the problem here is that some people here think that the term tandem is only referring to drifting. It's commonly used in things, say like sky diving. Me and my buddy sky dive all the time and when there are 2 or more, usually 5, people jumping out consecutively, it's a tandem! Not an opinion, fact!

People should also know that dictionaries online aren't reliable sources, there could be typos and mistakes that could take the whole meaning out of context.

Me and my mate tandem dirt jumps on our bikes.

ACGreen86
I have a few cars you would hate me for using then...
Stock muffler makes them sound non-existent. All you can hear is the sound of tortured tires.

I like that sound ha ha

I have a few cars you would hate me for using then...
Stock muffler makes them sound non-existent. All you can hear is the sound of tortured tires.

This is one reason why I use mustang/supra :3 But to be honest I don't really go by the revs, I just count the gears(which I suppose IS going by the revs lol...) Usually I just judge as best I can if I dont want to listen to the gear changes, and tune my gears accordingly. Like when I tandem with the ae86 :3

But yea, lets start throwing some advice out into the thread! No more back-and-forth stuff, its an illogical tandem of words, and this is tandem logic thread :3

Tandem strictly means a 2some, a pair, a couple but I say it too when drifting meaning 2 or more cars. & @ Nyordia I tandem with myself (ghost car) thats a wierd 1 man tandem & even worse you dont get to see the sick door to door you did in replay.
Collins dictionary: very reputable source not wikipedia
tandem*(ˈtændəm )*
Definitions
noun
1. A bicycle with two sets of pedals and two saddles, arranged one behind the other for two riders
2. A two-wheeled carriage drawn by two horses harnessed one behind the other
3. A team of two horses so harnessed

I would like to point out the fact that although I used Wikipedia as an initial quote due to not having my dictionary at hand, I did later use an Oxford Dictionary and it backed up what wikipedia says. Tandem can be anything from a pair to a group (3 or more) working together.

Can we stop debating the definition of "tandem" now? it's the most common term I've seen used on these forums and in the drift world in general so we all clearly know what it's referring to regardless of the amount of cars involved, that being cars drifting in synchronization.

I just wanted to clear up that I didn't only use wikipedia as your post suggests. (Considering I was the only person to quote wikipedia I concluded that this had to have been aimed at me)

What about we cut this discussion about matematics and come back to the theories, techniques, tips?

I agree, I apologise for bringing it back up but I didn't want to be left 'misquoted' as it were.

Wow. You guys are arguing over what a tandem is how sad. Who cares? Just go and drift for Christ sake. GTP has gone down hill later people everyone wants to fight with each other, most of it is silly things like this.
ANYWAY. I call a tandem 2 where as 3 or more a drift train. Done. Next.

The funny thing is, most of the people reading this thread already know most of this stuff... The people you're most likely targeting with this "guide" don't check forums, they just get on GT5 and drive.

I guess common sense isn't common, however I do agree with one thing: They need to reduce the smoke effects! Trying to follow a train through a tunnel is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Let's try to keep in mind GT5 is still a game, and we should be respectful of those trying to learn. After all, nobody starts off a "drift princess" :sly:

The funny thing is, most of the people reading this thread already know most of this stuff... The people you're most likely targeting with this "guide" don't check forums, they just get on GT5 and drive.

I guess common sense isn't common, however I do agree with one thing: They need to reduce the smoke effects! Trying to follow a train through a tunnel is nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Let's try to keep in mind GT5 is still a game, and we should be respectful of those trying to learn. After all, nobody starts off a "drift princess" :sly:

This thread was made to improve people their drifting, so basically, ofcourse I agree with your last paragraph.

However, today in a certain lobby with some team mates and some strangers, some guy got really annoying. (not checking mirrors, ramming people...) I said something about it, and people told me to chill...

If you can't drive at all, first learn to drive before you learn to drift. I don't mind people learning to drift, I only mind people learning to drift that have no clue about the fact that they have a rear view mirror, track map, or brakes for that matter. :)

However, today in a certain lobby with some team mates and some strangers, some guy got really annoying. (not checking mirrors, ramming people...) I said something about it, and people told me to chill...

We used to drift together a bit, so I know you're easily annoyed by that stuff. I like my drifting clean and aggressive as well, but like I tell Alpaca, "I rather you be too close, than too far away." There's always a learning curve we have to go through before we adapt to other people. Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it...

You can tell someone to clean it up a bit, and still be nice about it. If you really want to be nice, you can even help them get better, which is what I prefer to do. You'd be surprised how appreciative people are when you're patient and understanding with them. 👍

I have a serious question: How can i learn to drift with others if no mistakes allowed? Mistakes are part of a learning process.

Drift alone. That's what I did so I didn't keep bothering people in rooms with my horrible drifting. Once you master drifting alone, drifting with others is easy.

We used to drift together a bit, so I know you're easily annoyed by that stuff. I like my drifting clean and aggressive as well, but like I tell Alpaca, "I rather you be too close, than too far away." There's always a learning curve we have to go through before we adapt to other people. Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it...

You can tell someone to clean it up a bit, and still be nice about it. If you really want to be nice, you can even help them get better, which is what I prefer to do. You'd be surprised how appreciative people are when you're patient and understanding with them. 👍

As I said a couple of times before... If people are taking too many risks, that's their fault. If people have no clue at all about driving, that's their fault. I'm actually a bit tired of getting the 'you should help people' reprimand, because frankly... If people can't drive a car, they can't drive it, no matter how much things I tell them. It's all about experience man.

I have a serious question: How can i learn to drift with others if no mistakes allowed? Mistakes are part of a learning process.

Yes they are, but I don't get annoyed by mistakes, I get annoyed by stupid habits, and carelessness.

Drift alone. That's what I did so I didn't keep bothering people in rooms with my horrible drifting. Once you master drifting alone, drifting with others is easy.

Not easy, but knowing how to drive, and how to keep a consistent drifting style... That helps a lot.

It's all about experience man.

Exactly... This is my answer to the last few posts. You learn through experience, and at some point in time, we all couldn't drive to some degree.

It helps to drift with patient people who are willing to forgive your flaws with mature understanding (This doesn't apply to those trolls who just like to crash people; they can be kicked). No matter how good we think we are, we could all be better. I personally found a couple people around my drifting level, who liked to have fun and make jokes, and just went at it.

Some people take GT5 drifting very seriously, and I can respect that, but there's a saying that comes to mind...

"It's nice to be great, but it's even greater to be nice." :)

Exactly... This is my answer to the last few posts. You learn through experience, and at some point in time, we all couldn't drive to some degree.

It helps to drift with patient people who are willing to forgive your flaws with mature understanding (This doesn't apply to those trolls who just like to crash people; they can be kicked). No matter how good we think we are, we could all be better. I personally found a couple people around my drifting level, who liked to have fun and make jokes, and just went at it.

Some people take GT5 drifting very seriously, and I can respect that, but there's a saying that comes to mind...

"It's nice to be great, but it's even greater to be nice." :)

“Do, or do not. There is no 'try'.”

Yoda - Fictional Character From Star Wars

I know I´m not perfect, nor will I ever state that. But you seem to miss my point. Yes, I can help people with drifting. I can´t help them with driving basics though. If they miss those, they are not welcome to tandem with me. Driving basics need to be explained to someone before that person tries to drift.

Basically, you´re not putting a 3 year old on a bike, and telling him/her to win the Tour de France. Basics first. And people lacking basics have no place in online lobbies with a lot more talented people. (Not stating that I am that person.)

Everyone has to start from a point. Drift alone helps a little, but it does not help you that much with tandem. First because there is car difference, second, style difference and third, mistakes.

When you drift alone, you learn how control your car and all, but it also can cause a problem, because you can get used to a drift line that nobody uses, or it is indeed wrong, a drifting style that is different than the car in front of you. If you want how to learn tandem drifting, join online rooms. People who know how to drift already should be patient, because everyone once was a rookie, and when you were a rookie, people had patience, so, do the same.

If, you find someone who dislikes to tandem with you, because you "lack skill", let them go ahead and find someone who has more patience. Simple.

My tandem technic is:

When i'm in the front i often look back. When i see the guy behind me nearly my car i drive full throttle and the guy behind me do the same... in the next turn i'm mostly a little bit faster. Than i break a little bit till i see the guy behind me again. And that in every turn...

If i'm behind i try so close if i can. I dont use breaks when im to close to the guy before because than im to slow. I just get one gear up .:)

Everyone has to start from a point. Drift alone helps a little, but it does not help you that much with tandem. First because there is car difference, second, style difference and third, mistakes.

When you drift alone, you learn how control your car and all, but it also can cause a problem, because you can get used to a drift line that nobody uses, or it is indeed wrong, a drifting style that is different than the car in front of you. If you want how to learn tandem drifting, join online rooms. People who know how to drift already should be patient, because everyone once was a rookie, and when you were a rookie, people had patience, so, do the same.

If, you find someone who dislikes to tandem with you, because you "lack skill", let them go ahead and find someone who has more patience. Simple.

Who is this post aimed at? And what is it purpose?

Who is this post aimed at? And what is it purpose?
At nobody.

And it's purpose is my opinion in this should or not drift alone, drift with people who has experience or not... it is to help, new-comers and some people who apparently forgot it's own past.

At nobody.

And it's purpose is my opinion in this should or not drift alone, drift with people who has experience or not... it is to help, new-comers and some people who apparently forgot it's own past.

Yeah, well... As far as I can remember, I started playing online after I got a driving license, and some decent experience behind the wheel of a car. This isn't aimed at beginning drifters, this is aimed at experienced drivers wishing to improve their drifting.

Back