KPkeP5I.jpg

d30dIo1.jpg

z1PcMkd.jpg

yjPkfBu.jpg

AEpXcM8.jpg

ryeINoj.jpg

ArQ2CXZ.jpg

LDRGwwD.jpg

I'd like to do something to my stock exhaust to make it slightly louder. I don't want to sound like a jerk but I'd like it to not be so tame. 2016 Corolla. Yea, I know it's a Corolla.

Reasons? It looks fine to me.
I'm not sure I can quantify it, but I'm inclined to agree.

Some things that strike me as "off" regarding the image itself are the general fuzziness where the car meets its background seems to suggest that, at bare minimum, the car was photographed elsewhere, but the leading and trailing edges of the rear wheel arches appear to be bookmatched cut-and-pastes of the front wheel arch's trailing edge. Now some issues I have with the assertion that the car itself is real, based on my knowledge of the SM and its variants.

First, the idea of a "Heuliez SM Opéra." Hieuliez did build a Citroën SM variant on a standard length SM, in the form of a pillarless targa concept "Espace," featuring, in addition to the glass targa that stretched the length of the greenhouse, quarter windows that would descend into the bodywork similar to the door glass (the standard SM's quarter glass was stationary). The Espace only bore two doors, and was never produced, due in part to the cost but also for the same reason no convertible was offered by Citroën--a presumed lack of structural integrity. The Espace retained the original design's skirted rear wheelwells. Here's the Heuliez Espace:

citroen_sm_espace_concept_by_heuliez_9.jpg

There was, however, an SM Opéra variant produced. Carrossier Chapron constructed just seven of these very special sedans on lengthened coupe chassis structure, and it featured wildly different roof construction from the standard SM, with more vertical sail panels and a decklid in lieu of the glass lift-up hatch. It also retained skirted rear wheelwells, with some ditching the small inserts for polished trim. Here's the Opéra:

SM_Opera_period_pic.jpg

The "re-design" retains the standard length with the trailing front door gap and pillar moved forward to suggest fullsize rear doors, whose trailing gap appears to be haplessly plopped into the quarter panel. One final issue I have with it is the lighting on the rear arches; the SM's quarters are significantly more vertical than its front fenders, so why would light curve down as if affected by a flare feature that just wouldn't be present?

An additional bump for me is the presence of a single image (plus another otherwise identical one with different, much tackier wheels), and I've scoured for additional images since my earlier reaction post.

Edit: In case it's not apparent (hah, fat chance of that), I absolutely adore the SM, and why not? I mean...

7634960030_e11889a5c0_o.jpg

Last edited:
They didn't have tyres as low-profile as that in 1972.
To be fair, it's being presented as a "redesign" and is justifiably subject to technology present in the time period in which the redesign was undertaken.

That said, are you sure they're not whitewalls?

WW13-2.jpg

:sly:

T5-camper Spacecamper. It is a camper with a Porsche 997 turbo motor. Fast and .............. not so furious.

T5-camper Spacecamper. It is a camper with a Porsche 997 turbo motor. Fast and .............. not so furious.

What's wrong with putting a Porsche engine in VW? People have put Porsche engines in the old type 2 bus, why not in the newer ones?

What's wrong with putting a Porsche engine in VW? People have put Porsche engines in the old type 2 bus, why not in the newer ones?
I forgot to mention that this is not a questionable modification but forgot.

Back