Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,666 comments
Redneck special bumpers, tires, and an AK47?

My list of things done to that old pickup would run off this page. Some of them would make almost no sense to you guys unless you've been into old pushrod engines before.

The blue one is a restomod *facepalm*

What has that got to do with anything?

The scoop isn't stock, therefore it is a modification, and thus belongs in this thread. The scoop is big and brash, which, I believe, isn't seen as tasteful by most people. Regardless of if it's stock on a 429 Boss (which the blue one isn't).

Should I also do an obnoxious little "*facepalm*" after my post as well?

You are entirely missing the point. The entire car was intended to be modeled after a Boss with a personal twist. The scoop is period correct.

If you want to go that far I guess the highly modified Boss engine that was shoved into it isn't tasteful either because the car didn't have one originally. Or anything else the guy did to it. I can't believe you are nit picking over a hood scoop that was offered on that same body style. Its not even outrageous like those bubble or cowl hoods you see on drag cars that were never even a factory part to begin with. That's like saying a shock absorber from a coupe isn't "tasteful" on a fastback "because its from another Mustang" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Slash I'd want to know out of curiousity.

Said by the guy with the Chevrolet Racing profile name.

What's that suppose to mean? Man you're quite oblivious and your assumptions are daft. I can't possibly be a fan of Ford cars at all. @Slash knows I actually like Fords and all American vehicles it doesn't change the fact that I think your truck doesn't belong here :D

You are entirely missing the point. The entire car was intended to be modeled after a Boss with a personal twist. The scoop is period correct.

If you want to go that far I guess the highly modified Boss engine that was shoved into it isn't tasteful either because the car didn't have one originally. Or anything else the guy did to it. I can't believe you are nit picking over a hood scoop that was offered on that same body style. Its not even outrageous like those bubble or cowl hoods you see on drag cars that were never even a factory part to begin with. That's like saying a shock absorber from a coupe isn't "tasteful" on a fastback "because its from another Mustang" :rolleyes:

No I'm not, you seem to be under the misconception that period correct = tasteful.

And yep, you've got me nailed down right there, that's me, a person who thinks a car that is modified in any way is definitely distasteful. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it's a GT500 engine. ;)

modified_chevrolet_cobalt.jpg

Not many of you will like a Cobalt ever but I seriously am in love with this one. Very decently done I have to say. Acceptable.

Astra20.jpg

Interesting color choice. And the mod aren't half bad either. Nice.

Last edited:
Oh god they put a DSII ignition system in it :yuck: how the hell did they even get that cap to work because as far as I know there isn't a shaft made for that's system that accepts that style rotor which didn't even come until the late 1970s. Got to be custom. And pointless when you can just buy an MSD system that's better anyways. Probably better than the original points system but now you need an ECU...

Edit: Derp. 385 series motor....camshafts probably interchange with 429/460s so the gears would lineup correctly if you used a newer cam and a modern DSII distributor. I'm a moron.

Looks good but takes away from the value if the original car. If it was a 302 fastback fine but please don't 🤬 with a Boss.

Last edited:
If the quarter panel/fender is covering a decent chunk of wheel, then that's pretty damn low. Way too low in my opinion.

If the quarter panel/fender is covering a decent chunk of wheel, then that's pretty damn low. Way too low in my opinion.
I was referring to the second photo, it isn't as low in that picture. In the first it's definitely too low for my tastes.

I like it, mainly because manual transmission. Would prefer 4WD and V8 if it was mine, but I like it

You mean like my truck? :P Minus the V8 of course.

Gee I wonder why:dopey:

A cool paint job gives 50whp. xD :P

Not modified? :lol:

Push Bumper
Window Tinting
Extra Rear Leaf Springs
Aftermarket Headlights
Valence Grille
Black Bug Shield
"Ford Racing" Windshield Sticker
"UK" back window sticker
Darkest legal Window Tinting
U.S. Flag stickers on side, rear windows.
K&N Performance Air Filter
Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
Rolling Steel Bed Cover
255 Cooper Discoverer AT/3 tires
RainX 20" Wipers
Fire Extinguisher in bed
Foglights
Rear Mudflaps

True, the only thing I've changed enginewise is the air filter, but with a Ford at over 190,000 miles I'm afraid if I change something, it will break.

Probably about half of everyone I've asked have liked the windshield sticker; despite the truck isn't actually a race truck, I think it looks good. It makes it very easy to see the truck in a crowded parking lot.

Mine's stock... xD Minus a 2 1/2" cherry bomb catback, Emissions crap removed, K&N air filter (inside the air cleaner assembly), EGR valve stuck shut, Brembo brake rotors, Muffler bypass (for trails), NGK Iridium spark plugs, and a little mechanical advanced timing job. Looking to doing a TBI to MPI swap. There's like 15 hp. Also gonna get NGK plug wires, headers, performance fuel pump, bypass the cat, and a Injen cold air intake for my new manifold, as well as a tuned ECU. So HA!. xD

And then there's non performance stuff.
Paint job
Little bit of a lift (yes, a lift)
aftermarket shock absorbers
aftermarket rear bumper
LT235/75R15 Hankook Dynamic Radial A/T tires "model tire has been discontinued"
trailer brake balancer
Modern white headlights
Seat covers
Nice 15 inch alloy wheels
Custom sound system (meaning installation was a little bubba'd)
Redneck painted faded taillight (legal reasons
"salvaged" exhaust tip

Haven't got any stickers yet. :P

My mudflaps were factory, as were the fender flares. :P

Outside view: (Link)

Inside view: (Link)

Engine:

b1f51d17-3057-43a4-93fb-78710df58e8e.jpg

Back