Telenav Wants to Annoy You With Adverts in Your Car

Yeah, the automobile has died for me. But to be fair, only I can complain as I don't listen to the radio, if you do, well congrats you've been listening to adds for years!

Intrusive advertising needs to stop. When it comes to trashy mobile phone games, that's one thing. Your car is another. I do not want my everyday life constantly tracked by corporations and analyzed at the microscopic level. It's deeply unsettling what tech companies are allowed to do.

Dan
Intrusive advertising needs to stop. When it comes to trashy mobile phone games, that's one thing. Your car is another. I do not want my everyday life constantly tracked by corporations and analyzed at the microscopic level. It's deeply unsettling what tech companies are allowed to do.
Although I agree with you 100% , I feel that complaining is hypocrisy when people watch TV with advertisements, People don't use adblockers on Pc, and people listen to the radio with ads. Oh and I feel its EVEN MORE hypocritical when people are gullible enough to pay for " add free services" when the corporations/government systematically destroy all add free variants and when society shames you for using add block. I will never watch youtube with addblock off, even if YouTubers say it hurts them. Now if I purchase a CAR I should be able to decide what and what doesn't go inside of it. Unfortunately, we live in a world where certain clueless individuals buy products such as Alexa/ echo and have no issue with a corporation spying on them 24/7 .

Waze does something like this. Fortunately, there is no animation or sound on their ads.

I don't even want one of those screens or anything like Alexa in my car, much less one that plays ads. So long as they continue producing DIN kits, I will rip out anything like this to be replaced by a straightforward MP3-playing stereo.

On a related note, one little reason I appreciate Kwik Trip as a gas station chain is that our local stores labelled the secret mute button on their newest pumps that play ads, and it's the same button for any other gas station so far. Second from the top on the righthand side. :cheers:

At the least I appreciate the reference in the image.

Remember the Gizmondo? This was the first thing that came to mind. And I don't like the idea of advertising in your car. If it's on the radio fine but not on the infotainment system.

The Gizmondo? Now that was a laugh. The ads were pretty ridiculous hehe :)

I don't even want one of those screens or anything like Alexa in my car, much less one that plays ads. So long as they continue producing DIN kits, I will rip out anything like this to be replaced by a straightforward MP3-playing stereo.

On a related note, one little reason I appreciate Kwik Trip as a gas station chain is that our local stores labelled the secret mute button on their newest pumps that play ads, and it's the same button for any other gas station so far. Second from the top on the righthand side. :cheers:

I think my RX-7 just has a radio, not even a cassette player!

I only ever watch the BBC. You have to pay a one-time licence fee but there are no ads on it.
Between my and my wife's disinterest in TV, uBlock Origin, and MP3s for the car, intrusive ads have become uncommon and even somewhat alien to me. I genuinely forget what the internet looks like without an adblocker (and NoScript to take care of what's left). I'm aware running a website isn't free, but the ad providers shot themselves in the foot with audio and video ads. Too bad.

Although I agree with you 100% , I feel that complaining is hypocrisy when people watch TV with advertisements, People don't use adblockers on Pc, and people listen to the radio with ads.

Do you not see any difference between free services that sustain themselves with advertising and a product that you've just purchased for tens of thousands of dollars?

I'm more than happy to use a free service with advertising. That doesn't mean that I'm encouraging advertising in paid for products like a car. If Mazda is giving me the car for free they can put as many advertisements in it as they like.

I see this as nothing more than more distraction as now there's another pretty screen for the texters and myfacers to look at while driving.

I see this as nothing more than more distraction as now there's another pretty screen for the texters and myfacers to look at while driving.

This.

If this causes you to take your eyes off the road while you're driving, it should be hit with the instabanhammer.

Although I agree with you 100% , I feel that complaining is hypocrisy when people watch TV with advertisements, People don't use adblockers on Pc, and people listen to the radio with ads. Oh and I feel its EVEN MORE hypocritical when people are gullible enough to pay for " add free services" when the corporations/government systematically destroy all add free variants and when society shames you for using add block. I will never watch youtube with addblock off, even if YouTubers say it hurts them. Now if I purchase a CAR I should be able to decide what and what doesn't go inside of it. Unfortunately, we live in a world where certain clueless individuals buy products such as Alexa/ echo and have no issue with a corporation spying on them 24/7 .
Because most people have to. I've read there are services in Europe that can basically allow a 1-time ad, but in the US, someone offering ad-free TV is most likely non-existent or if so, can't match the competition. Otherwise, the person who can develop an "Ad-Blocker" for TV & Radio will be a millionaire overnight & then sued into bankruptcy the following morning by ad agencies.

This will no doubt be geared toward autonomous vehicles. The backlash of using this system in current times would be immense. When hell finally freezes over, and the cars on the road are autonomous taxi’s, adverts like that will be the norm.

This will no doubt be geared toward autonomous vehicles. The backlash of using this system in current times would be immense. When hell finally freezes over, and the cars on the road are autonomous taxi’s, adverts like that will be the norm.

I'm not so sure, people thought there'd be a riot with adverts on cable TV, on the Internet, and on mobile phones. There wasn't. I'm guessing the same will be true with cars.

Or more likely, they'll be played on screens in the headrests of currently existing taxis and shuttles in the near future. Going to the corner of 14th and Broad? Well here's an ad for the clothing store on that corner and the restaurant next door to it. Attaching it to the current hot topic of self-driving cars will get it noticed, but realistically targeted advertising like that makes more sense for vehicles that are always carrying passengers and are basically mobile advertising anyway.

Except a car's infotainment system is basically an operating system and the ads would be baked into the operating system itself with this. Ads on TV, radio or the net is fine but not directly on the OS, which seems to be the direction they're going for.

Except a car's infotainment system is basically an operating system and the ads would be baked into the operating system itself with this. Ads on TV, radio or the net is fine but not directly on the OS, which seems to be the direction they're going for.

Doesn't Microsoft already do this with Windows 10 though? While it's not ads for pizza, I do get pop ups from time to time telling me about various Microsoft products.

I think they got inspiration from a certain touring car series. Not sure which one though. :rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg

large.png

I think they got inspiration from a certain touring car series. Not sure which one though. :rolleyes:

hqdefault.jpg
Imagine going to a dealership to pick up your new car, and you step inside to a bunch of logos plastered everywhere :lol:

It would be hilarious if (if this actually gets implemented) you're driving one car and an advertisement for a different brand comes up. Say you're driving a Toyota Camry and you keep having Honda Accord ads shoved down your throat.

Back