TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
I just hope it tethers to the T500 usb cord. Don't want to have to buy a port extension thingy. Stupid 2 port slim's. Other than that, I think it will be an awesome addition to the money pit.

I think they've already said it's gonna use a separate port.

And agreed about the stupid two port slims. 👎 at least they're quiet though.

My understanding was that Thrustmaster does not have the "license" to test the compatibility with other wheels on the PS3. However they are not going to do anything on their end to block the product from working with other wheels.

I believe I read this quote from "Thrustmaster" itself on their facebook page but now I can't find it? Either I dreamed they said it or they removed the quote. It wouldn't be the 1st time they decided to remove a comment that revealed too much information :ill:

I'm pretty sure that journalist is mistaken. He just made an incorrect assumption. I am personally putting my faith in TM's website over racesimcentral in this regard.

From TM´s homepage,

"The TH8 RS with USB connectivity is compatible with the T500 RS racing wheel on PlayStation®3 (a list of compatible games is available on the Thrustmaster support website) and with all currently available racing wheels for PC!"

Had it supported other wheels on PS3 they would have written that as they did for PC.

...And back to reality..

"This new gear box works with all wheels on the market for PC. However, on PS3, it only works with Thrustmaster’s T500 RS wheel."

Should clear up some questions.

From what I gathered, the TH8 RS works independently from any wheel, including the T500 RS. It doesn't rely on communicating with a wheel in order to work. You have to plug it into its own USB port, even on the PS3. A game then has to be programmed to support it separately, since it can't be tethered to the wheel. As a consequence, this would enable you to use it with any wheel on the PS3 as well, unless Thrustmaster deliberately requests that game developers lock out use of the shifter unless the T500 RS is detected.

Remember how GT5 supports using a control pad alongside using your wheel? My guess is that it wasn't added in there by coincidence. The design of the T500, which has no connection port for the shifter, supports this thought as well. They always intended that the TH8 RS would be it's own separate product, even though its a part of the RS line. This makes sense as they can make more money marketing it this way.

The ultimate downfall here is that TH8 RS owners who race on PS3 only, are at the mercy of game developers. Developers must go out of their way to program support for the shifter into their game, similar to how GT5 was programmed to support the shifter.

People need to make sure they get on game developers' asses to support this shifter on the PS3 for any up and coming race titles, or they probably wont do it due to the amount of extra work it would take.

From TM´s homepage,

"The TH8 RS with USB connectivity is compatible with the T500 RS racing wheel on PlayStation®3 (a list of compatible games is available on the Thrustmaster support website) and with all currently available racing wheels for PC!"

Had it supported other wheels on PS3 they would have written that as they did for PC.

You got a good point there.

If this is true, that means the TH8 RS should work with games like Dirt 3, and Nascar 2011 right out of the box. And if it does, functionality of the shifter IS tied in with the wheel on the PS3, despite having to be plugged into its own USB port.

Only time will tell I guess. I hope functionality is tied in with the wheel though, so developers wont have to go out of their way, they only need to enable use of the T500 to get the whole package to work.

Last edited:
from what i gathered, the th8 rs works independently from any wheel, including the t500 rs. It doesn't rely on communicating with a wheel in order to work. You have to plug it into its own usb port, even on the ps3. A game then has to be programmed to support it separately, since it can't be tethered to the wheel. As a consequence, this would enable you to use it with any wheel on the ps3 as well, unless thrustmaster deliberately requests that game developers lock out use of the shifter unless the t500 rs is detected.

Remember how gt5 supports using a control pad alongside using your wheel? My guess is that it wasn't added in there by coincidence. The design of the t500, which has no connection port for the shifter, supports this thought as well. They always intended that the th8 rs would be it's own separate product, even though its a part of the rs line. This makes sense as they can make more money marketing it this way.

The ultimate downfall here is that th8 rs owners who race on ps3 only, are at the mercy of game developers. Developers must go out of their way to program support for the shifter into their game, similar to how gt5 was programmed to support the shifter.

People need to make sure they get on game developers' asses to support this shifter on the ps3 for any up and coming race titles, or they probably wont do it due to the amount of extra work it would take.

+10

From what I gathered, the TH8 RS works independently from any wheel, including the T500 RS. It doesn't rely on communicating with a wheel in order to work. You have to plug it into its own USB port, even on the PS3. A game then has to be programmed to support it separately, since it can't be tethered to the wheel. As a consequence, this would enable you to use it with any wheel on the PS3 as well, unless Thrustmaster deliberately requests that game developers lock out use of the shifter unless the T500 RS is detected.

Remember how GT5 supports using a control pad alongside using your wheel? My guess is that it wasn't added in there by coincidence. The design of the T500, which has no connection port for the shifter, supports this thought as well. They always intended that the TH8 RS would be it's own separate product, even though its a part of the RS line. This makes sense as they can make more money marketing it this way.

The ultimate downfall here is that TH8 RS owners who race on PS3 only, are at the mercy of game developers. Developers must go out of their way to program support for the shifter into their game, similar to how GT5 was programmed to support the shifter.

People need to make sure they get on game developers' asses to support this shifter on the PS3 for any up and coming race titles, or they probably wont do it due to the amount of extra work it would take.

i own a g25 without the shifter and can only use it on gt5 as i can use a ds3 to navigate menus due to gt5 supporting multiple controllers. i can't on games like DiRT 3 or F1 2011 as they don't supported the second controller. if this is a usb device then it will only work on games supporting more then one controller like gt5 and theirs nothing stopping it from being used with other wheels. any games that support the t500 and only one controller will need to be patched to allow the use of this shifter. it will be interesting to see if f1 2011 supports this on disc or if that will need it patched in.

Well with f1 cars you supposed to sequential shifting. Did f1 2010 even bother supporting sticks? Just curious. I'm going to eventually purchase the f1 rim to play with f1 2011.

* My bad I thought this was the New Ferrari F1 rim thread

Anyway I agree bout GT5. I've taken advantage of the multiple controller ability. I used to plugin a keyboard + controller for a little wall rubbing sometimes :D

Found this aswell on their homepage,

"used with a PC, the gearbox is compatible with all racing wheels and games on the market that support multi-USB and gearboxes
used with the PS3™, the gearbox is compatible with racing wheels (including the T500 RS) and games (**) that have been developed to be compatible."

This should definitely confirm any questions.

That statement leads me to believe my fanatec can be used. It specifically says including, not exlusively.
That doesnt really solve anything unfortunetly.

Hampus, you have posted quotes that fall on either side of the compatabillity question. Very poor wording from.marketing.
One quote is written vaguely and looks like t500 only while.one specficaly.states including the t500.

Your quotes only raise more questions and confusion w me.

Last edited:
Seems crystal clear to me. On PC, do whatever you want, everything works.

On PS3 it´s not up to Thrustmaster but the game devloper itself to enable this feature.

hampus_dh
...And back to reality..

"This new gear box works with all wheels on the market for PC. However, on PS3, it only works with Thrustmaster’s T500 RS wheel."

Should clear up some questions.

hampus_dh
Sorry forgot that ;)

It´s racesimcentral but it seems it´s Thrustmasters info just written as a news.
http://www.racesimcentral.com/news/2011/08/thrustmasters-fully-adjustable-gear-box-th8-rs/

So are you going back on these statements. You seem pretty sure here that it is t500 only.
Not calling you out. Only trying to show why im confused.
Maybe its just lack of sleep or me not wanting to find out this doesnt work with other wheels.

hampus_dh
From TM´s homepage,

But you must understand that those quotes are old. I post new stuff when i find it.

If you look at them they go from grey to black and white imo. I can´t speak about a quote that i don´t know exist at the time because i have no time machine.

I can only go on what´s written and the last quote is crystal clear for me atleast.

hampus_dh
But you must understand that those quotes are old. I post new stuff when i find it.

If you look at them they go from grey to black and white imo. I can´t speak about a quote that i don´t know exist at the time because i have no time machine.

I can only go on what´s written and the last quote is crystal clear for me atleast.

That last quote was brought up before any of your post i believe.
Edit: very first post.

Anywho. Im gonna back away. Havent had my first cup of coffee and i seem to be in an argumentative state of mind all around, not just here, today.
My apologies.
Cheers.

Used with a PC, the gearbox is compatible with all racing wheels and games on the market that support multi-USB and gearboxes

Crystal clear for PC right?

Used with the PS3™, the gearbox is compatible with racing wheels (including the T500 RS) and games (**) that have been developed to be compatible.

It can´t possibly get any clearer then that. Like i said, it´s not up to Thrustmaster, it´s 100% up to the developer of the game to enable this feature.

Caz
That last quote was brought up before any of your post i believe.

Anywho. Im gonna back away. Havent had my first cup of coffee and i seem to be in an argumentative state of mind all around, not just here, today.
My apologies.
Cheers.

You are confusing me...

I try to find info, i look up stuff, read it, then base my thoughts on that particular statement.

If i then find another quote that lets me know even more i will obviously adjust my thoughts because there is new information avaliable.

And now the last quote i found says exactly how things work and obviously again i will change my thoughts because i now have all the information needed for this particular subject many had thoughts about.

Go grab a coffee ffs! :)

The wording is still very vague. Like you stated the other way in an earlier post.
Why wouldnt the word it the same as for the pc?
Simply add in the bit about the game developers at the end.

Going to grab my effin coffee.
Friends :)

To me it says the gearbox works with any wheel on PS3 aswell as long as the game developer has made it compatible.

I think the reason why it´s worded differently is because 99% of all wheels work on PC. Not all wheels work on PS3.

It'll be up to the game developers to make the shifter work. It always has and will be that way, since consoles don't have the versatility that the PC has.

Only just found this thread on this shifter , I have pre ordered mine from play.com for £130.

Cant wait .

VERY VERY NICE:tup:👍👍 I HOPE TO SEE IT ON US SITE VERY SOON

after a bit of research on the European online vendor for TH8RS

Play.com "Pre-orderDue for release on 24 October 2011"

Amazon.co.uk "This item will be released on October 14, 2011"

Does it mean you get it 10 days later than ppl who order though Amazon uk?

when is the official release date on it?

VERY VERY NICE:tup:👍👍 I HOPE TO SEE IT ON US SITE VERY SOON

after a bit of research on the European online vendor for TH8RS

Play.com "Pre-orderDue for release on 24 October 2011"

Amazon.co.uk "This item will be released on October 14, 2011"

Does it mean you get it 10 days later than ppl who order though Amazon uk?

when is the official release date on it?

Amazon are rarely wrong about this type of thing this close to release and they may well get preferential treatment being much bigger than Play.

In my mind it's t-10 as of ten minutes ago 👍

Incidentally, anyone questioning my incorrect use of t-10 wants to get a life ;)

sonac
Would would anyone want to use a separate shifter in an F1 game? ;)

Quoted for truth. I had the same reply typed out but didnt post it ;) maybe, maybe for the sequential mode. Maybe........

Hooray, it's the weekend and my TH8 along with my new rig (Speedmaster v2) are ordered. :)

Roll on October 14th and also some news on other shift plates for added authenticity (4, 5, 6 speed)

Mounting & positioning options:

awdod.jpg

For me, the best of this option is to can turn the plate 180º to get the neutral between 5 and 6 gears (in games with gear mapping), ideal to mount the shifter for left hand driving.

Back