That's it. I'm now officially done with GT7

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 237 comments
I was compiling an overtake video of GRT's failed GT7 championship. Naturally i lost motivation and interest as the problems increased.

But here's the thing - the problems INCREASED.

In putting together this compilation I noticed how the first 2 races were jitter and lag free. By race 3 the jitter appeared and got worse through race 4. By race 5 jitter had turned into lag so badly that players started teleporting through other competitors. By race 7 the game was flat out unstable and crashing. This was all in spite of the dwindling numbers as people started qutting/lost motivation.

In this video it's plain to see.

How can a lobby of 15 people from different regions be stable and smooth but a lobby of 9 people all from the same region be worse?

This was the same for everyone.

It's almost like a server memory fragmentation issue. I would say console but given these are turned off for days at a time inbetween races, it can't be the consoles.

Doesn't it come down to the person with the weakest connection because it's P2P? It is ridiculous though and discouraging when you are trying your hardest. I swear GT Prologue was more stable.

Correct. The fact this is obviously private lobby, means this is pure P2P. The netcode for GT7 seems to be pretty poor as well, which exacerbates the issue.

I think with GT Sport, the netcode was fairly solid, so for private lobbies the netcode did a good job of compensating for the players with weak connections. With GT7 though the netcode isn't as robust, so it's more apparent when people in the lobby have poor connections/high latency. Throw in that cross-gen seems to further upset the netcode, and you're just not going to have a good time playing private lobbies (which is a known and thoroughly documented issue - OPs video may be a little late).

But how can it get progressively worse? The first couple of races seemed like the championship could be run. Ok so we had to switch from standing starts to rolling starts because of the timing bug that was introduced. That "teleport" move @ 14:45 seemed to be the pinnacle but it even managed to supersede that with game crashes.

I don't buy the cross gen excuse. Networks are about timing that is very low processor load. Technically every PC game is cross gen because every PC is of a different spec, even different OS but the processor load is so low it hasn't been an issue since the turn of the century.

Last edited:
I think today is the day I realised, I'm no longer enjoying GT7.

I've loved it immensely since I got it and hammered it daily for hours but I've kinda had my fill of it.
Same thing happened to me a couple of days back. It’s an odd feeling when something you have lived & breathed suddenly becomes a chore. My background is GT Sport and like many others I had such high hopes for GT7.

Its stunning to look at and I never imagined having such a wonderful piece of technology as a PS5 when I was a kid.

That said, it’s just a clone of GT Sport, and not a great one at that. People have highlighted these issues since GT7 inception and this thread is not here to rehash the issues yet again.

All of a sudden I find the whole experience boring and repetitive. I’m disinterested in general and I’m finding that other PS5 games seem more attractive to play.

Maybe I’ll take a break, see how I feel after a few days. Maybe I’m just having a bad day and tomorrow the sun will still rise & my mind will turn to doing that new livery for next weeks Dailies.

Same thing happened to me a couple of days back. It’s an odd feeling when something you have lived & breathed suddenly becomes a chore. My background is GT Sport and like many others I had such high hopes for GT7.

Its stunning to look at and I never imagined having such a wonderful piece of technology as a PS5 when I was a kid.

That said, it’s just a clone of GT Sport, and not a great one at that. People have highlighted these issues since GT7 inception and this thread is not here to rehash the issues yet again.

All of a sudden I find the whole experience boring and repetitive. I’m disinterested in general and I’m finding that other PS5 games seem more attractive to play.

Maybe I’ll take a break, see how I feel after a few days. Maybe I’m just having a bad day and tomorrow the sun will still rise & my mind will turn to doing that new livery for next weeks Dailies.
Even if a short break doesn't do it for you, maybe a longer one will? You can always give the game a few months off, and when you come back there will be a few new things to do, some new cars added, and it won't feel so stale because it's been quite a while. If we're lucky, there might even be a rather large update to get you truly excited again.

But how can it get progressively worse? The first couple of races seemed like the championship could be run. Ok so we had to switch from standing starts to rolling starts because of the timing bug that was introduced. That "teleport" move @ 14:45 seemed to be the pinnacle but it even managed to supersede that with game crashes.

I don't buy the cross gen excuse. Networks are about timing that is very low processor load. Technically every PC game is cross gen because every PC is of a different spec, even different OS but the processor load is so low it hasn't been an issue since the turn of the century.

I think it has more to do with people's network latency than bandwidth or hardware specs. Who knows what kind of janky network solution they have at home. Everyone should have to do port forwarding so its all Nat type 1.

I think it has more to do with people's network latency than bandwidth or hardware specs. Who knows what kind of janky network solution they have at home. Everyone should have to do port forwarding so its all Nat type 1.

I have a gigabit connection at my house with an open NAT and my PS5 hardwired to my UDM Pro. There's no network issue at all on my end. And it's still as unplayable for me as the others here. Also port forwarding isn't required at all if Sony/PD know how to do UPnP right.

There's no network issue at all on my end. And it's still as unplayable for me as the others here.
With a mesh P2P as you get in lobbies, it's not about your connection but the weakest one in the network.

If one person is connecting from Atlantis through a wireless router made out of a potato inside a microwave oven, you're all going to have a bad time. Except them.

Please look at a broader picture at other multi player games and racing games. I feel like many are only looking at GT7 without the broader context of lag in all online games. A quick search of iRacing, ACC, rFactor, Forza + lag may surprise you.

Meanwhile my league has been fine for the most part, yes there has been a few issues but the lobby is only as good as the weakest connection.

Since the last update our lobby was smoother. We have one more race at daytona to go then on to season 3.

I've seen that a LOT in my 40 years of gaming. Games crash or come out completely broken. People get disconnected. Yes it's frustrating and to a point, uncalled for.
St Croix is easy, fast, and fun.
If you no longer enjoy the game, don't play it.
Best of luck with whatever you play next, and win some competitions for me. :)

Have you been spying on me? This is my EXACT setup!
Sorry about the bad wifi in Atlantis, ya'll. Bandit Bombers have wiped out all three generators and before we fix the wifi, we gotta get power to the Bridged Bazaar and the new Acropolis Command Post they just built.

With a mesh P2P as you get in lobbies, it's not about your connection but the weakest one in the network.

If one person is connecting from Atlantis through a wireless router made out of a potato inside a microwave oven, you're all going to have a bad time. Except them.
I see this excuse trotted out repeatedly. (from numerous people)

GT7 doesn't even have a P2P mesh option. But even if it did (like GT5/GT6/GT Sport had), erratic behaviour will only be observed from the player with the poor connection, not the whole lobby. The game does not sit around waiting for the packet from it's slowest connection before it updates the location/velocity of every player in the lobby.

This excuse needs to be knocked on the head because it deflects blame away from the developer/publisher and unfairly points the finger back at the paying customer. Players can attempt to mitigate network issues (for every game, not just GT7) but only PD and Sony can solve these problems and THEY should be held accoutable.

Every comment like this hand-waving responsiblity away only serves to delay action.

Last edited:
Reminder, they had cars lagging all over the place in a freaking LAN race.

Last edited:
MGR
I see this excuse trotted out repeatedly. (from numerous people)

GT7 doesn't even have a P2P mesh option. But even if it did (like GT5/GT6/GT Sport had), erratic behaviour will only be observed from the player with the poor connection, not the whole lobby. The game does not sit around waiting for the packet from it's slowest connection before it updates the location/velocity of every player in the lobby.

This excuse needs to be knocked on the head because it deflects blame away from the developer/publisher and unfairly points the finger back at the paying customer. Players can attempt to mitigate network issues (for every game, not just GT7) but only PD and Sony can solve these problems and THEY should be held accoutable.

Every comment like this hand-waving responsiblity away only serves to delay action.
True. TCP/IP works this way and is fundamental to the whole protocol - and it's not even part of any game code, it's the OS network underneath. If a packet is delayed, lost or corrupt, tcp doesn't care. It will carry on regardless and leave it for the sender to resend in their own time. It would be a disaster for anything using the Internet to be delayed while it waits for a slow peer. This is why in any game ever played over the Internet, if someone is lagging it is only they who jump around the screen, not everyone else as well.

The GT7 lag is something else and it's not down to the core networking that has been working fine and unchanged for decades.

Oh yeah I meant udp. I could edit that but mistakes exist for a reason!

The point is the same though- it doesn't care about lost packets or wants/waits for lost data to be resent so nor would the game

Last edited:
Was in a 15 player lobby yesterday and the race couldn't be started as half the grid couldn't see some people even after everyone rejoined 10 times. Changed to another host and the race afterwards was the smoothest I've ever seen, only one player was lagging a lot. Both hosts are on PS5, so it's really rather a mystery to us what was going on there.

it’s just a clone of GT Sport
When GT Sport was the latest GT game, someone commented on here that it wasn't a true GT game. I asked them what it needed to make it a true GT game, and two of the things they mentioned were dynamic weather and tuning. GT7 adds both those things, which that particular poster saw as defining features required to make it a true GT game, so I don't think it can be seen as just a clone of GT Sport when it adds features that some people attach so much importance to. The new tracks are pretty significant, too, I think people underestimate how much work it takes to create those.

Please look at a broader picture at other multi player games and racing games. I feel like many are only looking at GT7 without the broader context of lag in all online games. A quick search of iRacing, ACC, rFactor, Forza + lag may surprise you.
Sure, every game suffers from lag, GT Sport as well. However it seems to have gotten worse with GT7.

I'm back racing in GT Sport, N24 all month. The player count is lower and it's mostly South Americans still playing, yet it's a far more stable experience than I had in GT7 on ps4 pro or ps5. I haven't seen weird laggy cars yet, cars from Argentina (9,000 km away from me) are completely solid and I had the best race in months against an Argentinian last night. Contact free, no visible lag anywhere, side by side on the Nord through multiple corners without any issues.

Pretty sad that one night of racing back in GT Sport is better than the 500 online races I've done in GT7 so far...
Last night in GT Sport: Maybe I should quit now cause the next race can't possibly top this (then it does)
GT7: Maybe I should quit now cause it doesn't seem a decent / problem free race is on the cards today...

GT7 killed my interest in racing (been playing Roblox the past month lol), GT Sport has brought it back again. It sure isn't perfect, but still much more fun than GT7 :/

Sure, every game suffers from lag, GT Sport as well. However it seems to have gotten worse with GT7.

I'm back racing in GT Sport, N24 all month. The player count is lower and it's mostly South Americans still playing, yet it's a far more stable experience than I had in GT7 on ps4 pro or ps5. I haven't seen weird laggy cars yet, cars from Argentina (9,000 km away from me) are completely solid and I had the best race in months against an Argentinian last night. Contact free, no visible lag anywhere, side by side on the Nord through multiple corners without any issues.

Pretty sad that one night of racing back in GT Sport is better than the 500 online races I've done in GT7 so far...
Last night in GT Sport: Maybe I should quit now cause the next race can't possibly top this (then it does)
GT7: Maybe I should quit now cause it doesn't seem a decent / problem free race is on the cards today...

GT7 killed my interest in racing (been playing Roblox the past month lol), GT Sport has brought it back again. It sure isn't perfect, but still much more fun than GT7 :/
Sorry to hear that. But perhaps it's because there's a full month of N24, that's what's appealling to you?

You had issues online with GT Sport too. Lots. I would say more than average. But you do play more than average so that may be the prime factor.

Personally I think your connection is getting interupted locally. Sounds a lot like when I had a lower plan and my ISP was intentionally throttling me at busy times to get me to upgrade.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. But perhaps it's because there's a full month of N24, that's what's appealling to you?

You had issues online with GT Sport too. Lots. I would say more than average. But you do play more than average so that may be the prime factor.

Personally I think your connection is getting interupted locally. Sounds a lot like when I had a lower plan and my ISP was intentionally throttling me at busy times to get me to upgrade.
Yes I've had lots of issues with GT Sport as well. Yet comparing the full week I've raced on the Nord in GT7 vs the couple nights so far on N24 in GT Sport, GT Sport is more stable, every race starts on schedule, no people getting booted before the race starts or long warm up sessions (counter not counting down) no unexpected errors (yet /knock on wood)

Something got worse with GT7, maybe it's because of cross-play. Problems are different on ps4 and ps5, but both have issues. I play GT Sport on the same console as GT7, same wired connection. It's the game that is the variable.

I'll give GT7 another chance in October, I'm set for this month :)

When GT Sport was the latest GT game, someone commented on here that it wasn't a true GT game. I asked them what it needed to make it a true GT game, and two of the things they mentioned were dynamic weather and tuning. GT7 adds both those things, which that particular poster saw as defining features required to make it a true GT game, so I don't think it can be seen as just a clone of GT Sport when it adds features that some people attach so much importance to. The new tracks are pretty significant, too, I think people underestimate how much work it takes to create those.
As I said,, my background is GT Sport and tbh both weather and tuning in GT7 Daily DR/SR races are notable only by their absence. Why advertise features that they then seem reluctant to use in the online races? The same applies to 20 car Dailies. What happened to them?

Yes I've had lots of issues with GT Sport as well. Yet comparing the full week I've raced on the Nord in GT7 vs the couple nights so far on N24 in GT Sport, GT Sport is more stable, every race starts on schedule, no people getting booted before the race starts or long warm up sessions (counter not counting down) no unexpected errors (yet /knock on wood)

Something got worse with GT7, maybe it's because of cross-play. Problems are different on ps4 and ps5, but both have issues. I play GT Sport on the same console as GT7, same wired connection. It's the game that is the variable.

I'll give GT7 another chance in October, I'm set for this month :)
When's the last time you changed routers? ISP usually offers upgrades, if you ask. They reccommend every 3-5 years but since you have new hardware, PS5, you may require a more up to date router.

When's the last time you changed routers? ISP usually offers upgrades, if you ask. They reccommend every 3-5 years but since you have new hardware, PS5, you may require a more up to date router.
It's 2 or 3 years old, it's their top of the line model. I also upgraded my home wifi a couple months back but had already made the switch to wired before that. And yep there are still days when my ISP is dragging me down, yet it's always worse in GT7 compared to GT Sport.

My stats today (and what they usually are when Rogers is behaving)
1661960672666.png
And that's measured on my laptop through wifi while one of my kids is playing Rust online and the other is watching Netflix. The problem (generally) is not on my end :/

It's 2 or 3 years old, it's their top of the line model. I also upgraded my home wifi a couple months back but had already made the switch to wired before that. And yep there are still days when my ISP is dragging me down, yet it's always worse in GT7 compared to GT Sport.

My stats today (and what they usually are when Rogers is behaving)View attachment 1188797And that's measured on my laptop through wifi while one of my kids is playing Rust online and the other is watching Netflix. The problem (generally) is not on my end :/
Gotcha. I'll let you know if I hear about any updates. I need to see Princess Mononoke liveries terrorizing the ring again. :)

Back