The '13 driver transfer discussion/speculation thread op updated 16/10

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 2,521 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

This year is friggin' crazy.

Perez started the year pretty poorly, and it took him a while to get his head together. But he's hardly dead weight as it stands now. Do you roll the dice on a rookie? Is he going to be that much faster than Perez? That would basically be banking on him being Button fast out of the box.

Even if Magnussen is Lewis Hamilton fast, he's not going to have the testing time to work his way up to speed. He either turns out to be a Formula 1 prodigy, or he'll flounder.

I could see them plonking him on Marussia with a mid-season option to pull him up if Perez is struggling. But that'd be about it. Putting him in a race drive for what should ostensibly be a top team seems like a bit of a hail mary move. I don't think McLaren is that far gone yet, even if they are sweating without Hamilton.

I doubt it, Perez's Telmex money is too much for McLaren to ignore. Perhaps they could find a seat for him at a midfield team?

I'd read that they were going to make an announcement soon. I know the car was a pig this year, but Perez just never really impressed me the way he did last season. Good points though for it not being a direct replacement, although I read this morning that Marussia may be keeping the same two drivers for next year.

I'd read that they were going to make an announcement soon. I know the car was a pig this year, but Perez just never really impressed me the way he did last season. Good points though for it not being a direct replacement, although I read this morning that Marussia may be keeping the same two drivers for next year.

If McLaren can front up with the same money that Chilton is bringing in I can see Magnussen going to Marussia. Be nice to see too if a Ferrari development driver goes head to head with a McLaren one :sly:

Aaand that's it folks. We'd seen the last of Kimi for this season.
via AUTOSPORT

Kimi Raikkonen is to miss the final two races of the 2013 Formula 1 season after electing to undergo back surgery next week.

The Finn had been at the centre of a pay dispute with his Lotus bosses in Abu Dhabi last weekend, but it appeared that matters had been sorted so he could compete in the United States and Brazil.

However, in a fresh twist, the back issues that nearly forced Raikkonen out of the Singapore Grand Prix earlier this year flared up enough for him to choose to take early surgery.

Rather than travel to the United States for the final events of the season, Raikkonen will now fly to Salzburg for the operation.

His manager Steve Robertson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that Raikkonen's 2013 campaign was over, as it is estimated that there is a four-week recovery period.

The news was first broken in Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat.

Had Raikkonen waited until after the season, then there was a chance that it could have impacted on his preparations for 2014 with Ferrari.

Robertson told AUTOSPORT: "In an ideal world it would have been nice to finish the season with Lotus in the final two grands prix.

"However, due to the severe pain that Kimi is having, sadly it is not possible."

It is unclear how Raikkonen's absence will impact on his pay issues with Lotus, especially with the team's new investor Quantum Motorsports having not yet finalised its 35 per cent buy-in to the outfit.

Lotus now has just a few days to decide on a replacement driver. It could decide to promote reserve driver Davide Valsecchi to the race seat or swoop for another available driver.

Aaand that's it folks. We'd seen the last of Kimi for this season.
Lotus should give Valsecchi the drive. He's the only driver (Apart from Leimar) who has won the GP2 championship but not raced in F1 (Pantano did before he won the championship). Its sad to see Kimi bow out the season like this, but hopefully he will be a lot better for next year.

Well this is going to be interesting, so much for Lotus trying to grab second in the WCC
Grosjean is the form man, not Kimi. If they'd lost Romain they would have had a smaller chance. Valsecchi has driven the current car, he is the reserve driver, he should get the drive.

I wonder if Ferrari pressured Kimi to get his back fixed... he did just get his seat for next year fitted this weekend.

Even if they didn't, I doubt it was a very hard decision for him when his back flared up to take the surgery now. Had he not been on bad terms with Lotus maybe he'd have made an effort or looked for something to get him through the last two races, but I don't see any reason why he shouldn't give them the finger and spend the time prepping for next season.

Shame that this came back to bite Lotus in the arse. I like Lotus too, they're pleasantly underdoggish taking it to the big boys.

Cool that Valsecchi will get a go. I hope he whoops everyone. :)

Grosjean is the form man, not Kimi. If they'd lost Romain they would have had a smaller chance. Valsecchi has driven the current car, he is the reserve driver, he should get the drive.

I don't doubt that, but you need more than one driver to do a points haul that is enough to catch in two races, they're not even going to get 3rd in WCC and I feel safe enough to make that bet.

Yeah, the situation between himself and Lotus seems to have been mismanaged. It's probably better he get the procedure done now instead of risking something worse happening to it in the next two races. Lots of elevation changes on the next two tracks as well.

Hopefully Valsecchi will perform well in the car. Doubt it will get him anywhere with Lotus for next season, especially if they're eyeing Maldonado and his sponsor money since it would get them out of their financial issues, if the financial issues are actually true.

Lotus should give Valsecchi the drive. He's the only driver (Apart from Leimar) who has won the GP2 championship but not raced in F1 (Pantano did before he won the championship). Its sad to see Kimi bow out the season like this, but hopefully he will be a lot better for next year.

Meh, but he hardly did it in dominating fashion, he was woefully inconsistent and facing questionable opposition too. He and Leimer are champions of the weakest period in GP2.
And on top of all that, Valsecchi took 5 seasons of GP2 to win it...the 3rd placed driver in the championship (Gutierrez) was only in his 2nd season and the 4th placed driver (Chilton) was in his 3rd season. Neither of those two I rate particularly highly either especially in terms of season-long consistency. Both are drivers that have flashes of speed on the odd weekend but can't hook it up over the season. Yet they finished 3rd and 4th overall...no wonder that Valsecchi and Razia fought for the title with all that experience between them..and they're inconsistent themselves!

Pantano was another driver who won against a relatively weak field due to his vast experience.

And then we have Nico Hulkenburg searching for a seat when he won GP2 in his debut rookie season, even he faced a relatively weak field. But at the very least he won it first try, which is better than expected.

But anyway, lets see what Valsecchi can do now he's got the chance. But I certainly don't agree he's really been a convincing candidate that the teams have overlooked. I can't blame any team for looking at drivers like Van Der Garde who bring money and are just as good drivers (or possibly better).

Its like people talking up Stefano Coletti earlier this year...when most of the field drops out each year due to finance, moving up to F1 or moving to other series (e.g. Indycar, DTM, etc), its to be expected that drivers that have 3 or 4 or more seasons of GP2 experience are winning races. Its all about how they are doing relative to the rookies and how consistent they are.

Grosjean will be a tough opponent to be compared to and CoTA and Interlagos are two very tricky tracks to make your debut on! So I don't expect Valsecchi to perform miracles. If he wants a career in F1, he really needs to do a Kobayashi and drive some confident races to a decent strategy that gets him just in the points and robustly defend his position. Expecting anything more than that is asking too much and anything less won't be enough to convince anyone to sign him next year. (ignoring the money issue)

Last edited:
As I said, at least Valsecchi has driven the car, so will put in a decent performance. He should do a bit better than D'Ambrosio did at Monza last year as this years car is a lot more competitive.

Hope Valsecchi will make a few waves in the last couple of races.

Oh, me too...It will be nice to have an Italian driver back on the grid; none since Jarno Trulli departed F1 nearly two years prior.

But you're only as good as your last race sometimes, so Davide's going to have to pull off something similar to Kobayashi's debut to get himself noticed.

Edit: Just realized @Ardius said the exact same thing a few posts ahead of me.

Last edited:
If it was this year's car that would be his career over and good night.

Of course Williams didn't do as badly the last time after they built a truly awful car (2011 to 2012)...or it would have been better without the Maldonado crashes.

So his career depends on if Williams can do something good again. And god knows what they'll do these days.

If it was this year's car that would be his career over and good night.

Of course Williams didn't do as badly the last time after they built a truly awful car (2011 to 2012)...or it would have been better without the Maldonado crashes.

So his career depends on if Williams can do something good again. And god knows what they'll do these days.

He's got the experience Williams need. If anything, he can help Bottas for his future.

Is that not where Rob Smedley went as well? This deal was signed long ago I think.

Last edited:
Massa is like Jason Vorhees , you think he is done and buried but he always comes back.

I would like to see Maldonaldo in Lotus (at least for one season), his cash could help and let's not forget that he is a GP winner in very convincing fashion (also ex GP2 champion and WSbR podium finisher). I know most people don't like him but I think he is underrated and deserves a chance in good car.

Looks like Perez might not be gone from Sauber for long.

He went for the McLaren silver at the wrong moment, arguably the wrong situation giving the driver he replaced.

BBC reporting that McLaren have signed Magnussen.
No they are not. If you read the artical they say they have been told that McLaren are set to give him the drive but nothing has been signed yet.

No they are not. If you read the artical they say they have been told that McLaren are set to give him the drive but nothing has been signed yet.
Ok, but either way they're saying he will drive for them next year. I've been fooled by Andrew Benson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back