The 2018 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

Abysmal oversimplification.

Quite... but the fact remains that Alonso has put himself out of contention for potential WDC seats.

Gotcha. Sterling Moss was a deadset flog then.

Agreed, Moss won 40% of all the races he entered, he was certainly determined to work at it. I wouldn't say that Alonso didn't work hard though?

History is littered with top talent having crap machinery and average drivers in the best equipment.

Also agreed. However, the best all-round drivers are team minded because that's how you win championships - you have to get into the best seats. Alonso has had chances in spades but his mecurial approach has wasted some of those.

When?
When they let him use a Honda powered car in the 500 after he'd lambasted their efforts (the Mclaren forced them to rush), or after Mclaren fired them?
Exactly and to add to the last part after they fired them went to a dedicated mid field team and performed better than McLaren.

Sainz to race for Mclaren under multi-year contract.

Carlos Sainz will race for the team from the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship

McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Carlos, 23, from Madrid, Spain, has signed a multi-year deal with the team, replacing Fernando Alonso. Carlos will enter his fifth season of Formula 1 when he joins the team as a McLaren driver in 2019. He currently sits 11th in the drivers’ championship standings with 30 points.

Part of a legendary racing dynasty, in his early racing career Carlos won the Formula Renault 2.0 NEC championship and came runner-up in Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0, both in 2011. He made his debut in Formula 1 at the start of the 2015 season as reigning Formula Renault 3.5 series champion, with seven poles and seven wins.
Mclaren press release

Last edited:
Pierre Gasly is the new Red Bull Racing driver yes :D
They haven't confirmed that yet. Maybe when they say Hartley won't be at Toro Rosso next season, they mean he'll be at Red Bull :lol::lol::lol:

Although Gasly taking the seat is the most likely option.

I really want Hartley to get the Red Bull drive. He knows how to drive a championship winning car, see LMP1 for details. Give him the Red Bull proper and he'll destroy it.

I really want Hartley to get the Red Bull drive. He knows how to drive a championship winning car, see LMP1 for details. Give him the Red Bull proper and he'll destroy it.

I'm not sure he's actually quick enough. Endurance racing and sprint racing are two quite different beasts.
I really like Brendon and followed him through WEC, but he just isn't really shining. Compare his season to Gasley and the points difference is quite staggering.

Mostly ditto with baldgye. Adding to that is his age. Red Bull has a very big emphasis on their junior drivers- I'd wager that they are the most invested team in F1 with their junior driver program. They're the only team that has a direct B-team in F1 (You can say Mercedes has Force India, Ferrari Sauber etc. etc., but those are indirect B-teams)

He has to prove that he truly is something else, something so good that he is worth picking over a young fast driver that is full of potential. Given how Gasly is 6 years younger than Hartley, and that he has shown much more positive results than the latter, I think it's all but a pipe dream for Hartley at this point

I'm not sure he's actually quick enough. Endurance racing and sprint racing are two quite different beasts.
I really like Brendon and followed him through WEC, but he just isn't really shining. Compare his season to Gasley and the points difference is quite staggering.

While I agree with most of what you say, as usual points don't tell the whole story. Hartley has had the majority of the Toro Rosso bad luck this year I believe.

Man, I can't recall a time where moving from a Renault to a McLaren was a downward move. I hope Sainz takes it in stride and can make it back onto a competitive team. I think he's got some quality in him.

While I agree with most of what you say, as usual points don't tell the whole story. Hartley has had the majority of the Toro Rosso bad luck this year I believe.
And bad quali results and bad race pace... I like Brendon a lot, he was epic in many WEC battles in the last few years... but he’s just out classed in F1, unfortunately

Quite. Surely next year McLaren will finally have got to grips with the car? Must be next year. Has to be.

Probably won't be :D

That's kinda like John Doonan with Mazda's North America racing efforts, about ten years of it "It's a building year, we're looking forward to next year"...every...single...time :D

I live in hope that Lando will get a chance but surely Vandoorne will get the seat. Isn't it his girlfriends father who is one of the investors in McLaren?

Not sure if it’s true, but apparently Mclaren has to give Lando a F1 race driver contract by September 30th or he’s a free agent aka STR driver, also then no deal to let Key go

At this point in time, Toro Rosso would be a better place to end up at for Lando. In my opinion that is.

Last edited:
At this point in time, Toro Roso would be a better place to end up at for Lando. In my opinion that is.
Definitely, the only question is, would it be a loan or straight up Mclaren losing him.
I think for that reason they will rush him into that seat
EDIT: that seat being Mclaren seat

I live in hope that Lando will get a chance but surely Vandoorne will get the seat. Isn't it his girlfriends father who is one of the investors in McLaren?

His girlfriend's father is actually the big boss at Mclaren...

I hope Stoffel retains his seat. I just want him being able to drive on equal terms with his teammate for a season.

I think even the youngest drivers realize McLaren is a sinking ship at the moment. An F1 seat is an F1 seat...but there are far better places to be. Personally Stoffel could disappear and I wouldn't notice. He's gunning hard for the inexplicable "Ghost" existence of a future Hulkenberg. We're going to look at Stoffel in 10 years time and think "Wait, why is he still driving in F1?".

Back