The 2018 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

So Horner has said that Kvyat could make a return to Toro Rosso. Which only further illustrates concerns many had about future junior prospects making it to STR, or rather the lack of them in the RBA. Especially after "loaning" Sainz, picking up Hartley to fill in for Gasly who was really only there to be the long term replacement for Kvyat (technically both were there to do that). And then another sand in the gears is obviously Daniel to Renault.

I feel some of this could have been avoided if they actually if they figured a better way to retain Sainz without making everyone feel that Max is the most important asset to their operation.

They dropped the ball on their driver program, even before Gasly won the GP2 Title I knew this would come to bite them, granted alot of the drivers they where backing they dropped due to poor results, but they should of picked up backup options at around the same level of junior formula.

Alot of this would be down to the Superlicense changes though, without it I have no doubt Marko would just put Ticktum into the seat regardless(even though it would probably be a negative for his career at this point).

Mclaren will not be renewing Stoffel's contract at the end of the season.
I hope he gets a seat somewhere, he’s been royally ****ed by McLaren. Yeah he hasn’t shone but he’s had moments and his pre-F1 career was very promising.

I’m hoping he gets a seat at Sauber

A bit tough on Stoffel, especially as Lando isn’t looking to be as good as he was supposed to be before the season.
Not looking great for Mclaren for next few years.

Hasn't been looking great for McLaren since they joined with Honda. It brought to light their flawed car design philosophy. It's obvious when another team can take a Honda engine (Toro Rosso) and clearly not be crap every single outing.

Too bad about Stoffel, but I had a feeling since Spa that his contract was already done for. I was simply baffled how he remained this positive while having such bad luck and such a woeful car to drive.

Of course I hope he stays in F1, but where? I guess Williams is the only option should Stroll move to Force India. I reckon Toro Rosso will always pick a driver from their own program. I would love to see him in a Sauber, but it looks likely that Leclerc will stay there for another year.

Now that's a royal **** you to Stoffel.
Meh, Vandoorne is 26 already.

Norris is 18 and should have at least 7 years in F1 ahead of him before he's replaced.

It's not all bad news though - with any luck, Norris will procreate soon and his son will be driving for a Ferrari feeder team by 2035.

Sad for Stoffel who didn't get the chance to fight his teammate in equal footing if reports are to be believed. I wonder where Ocon will be driving next year, hopefully in F1.

Hasn't been looking great for McLaren since they joined with Honda. It brought to light their flawed car design philosophy. It's obvious when another team can take a Honda engine (Toro Rosso) and clearly not be crap every single outing.

It was already looking bad before Honda, I mean McLaren failed to bring a car that was capable of being their most recent WCC or WDC to first with their best driver line up in years. So this whole McLaren just suddenly being bad when Honda came around isn't the case it's been a systemic issue for years and really rang true when Newey left and more so after the Spy-gate issues.

The more pressing issue is what others are saying, McLaren is horrible at developing young drivers and are so hopeful on getting the second coming of Hamilton that they incorrectly utilize their drivers they claim capable of doing such.

Magnussen they threw in too early, Perez they put too much pressure on and seemed set on replacing him 2/3rds of the way into that year for next year. And Vandoorne had no reason to be off in Super Formula, when he could have easily replaced Button who at that point was tired of the F1 circus.

I think Norris is a more correct path in development then what has been seen in a long time. However, McLaren really don't have a car to offer at the moment that would help Norris show how capable he potentially is or isn't.

Last edited:
Did the Italian GP results seal this deal?
Doubtful, since this was rumored to be in the works well before Marchionne's health took a turn for the worse. If it does go through it's more likely that Ferrari's new boss decided to proceed as planned, rather than hold off another year like everyone expected.

Raikkonnen has just announced a 2 year contract with Sauber on his Instagram. Reports from a couple days ago suggest that he might become a part owner of the team.

And a possible move into becoming a investor/part owner in Sauber?
Does that mean we can start calling Raikkonen a pay driver? :lol:
Just like Stroll he's buying a seat in F1 :P

Makes sense though. Kimi still gets to drive in F1, but Sauber should be a lot more lenient to him in terms of PR and other promotional activities he doesn't really care about. If he does become part owner, surely he can then pick and choose what he does anyway.

Disgusting, not what Formula 1's about etc. etc.

I hope he goes out with a (metaphorical) bang rather than a whimper, it's always sad to see a great driver bobbling around the midfield for a couple of years before they finally go to be a commentator.

Just like Stroll he's buying a seat in F1 :P

Makes sense though. Kimi still gets to drive in F1, but Sauber should be a lot more lenient to him in terms of PR and other promotional activities he doesn't really care about. If he does become part owner, surely he can then pick and choose what he does anyway.

I think it would be more be like how he part owns/manages a Rally team. So he wouldn't exactly be on the pit wall etc

it's always sad to see a great driver bobbling around the midfield for a couple of years

tumblr_inline_ohkdmbTj7g1qbhmtm_400.gif

dab9013b17891fc2278ce5b0515e97eb.jpg

Back