The 2018 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

At this point, I’m not entirely convinced Norris will be in F1 next year.

I have heard the rumour about the Sept 30 deadline, but I haven’t seen that rumour confirmed by an official source. So, putting this rumour aside, let’s look just at pure performance so far in 2018.

In 14 F2 races, he has only 1 win, 1 pole position, and 1 fastest lap, along with 6 podium finishes. That’s by no means a horrible record, but it’s also not the most fantastic one ever. Compared to LeClerc’s season last year, or Vandoorne in 2015, Norris’s season so far is really nothing special.

Granted some of his poor results are due to the start procedure issues that the new F2 cars suffered from, but he’s also shown some holes in his driving game. Even at the last round in Hungary, he showed blistering pace in the wet, but once the track dried and everyone changed to slicks, he coughed up a 12 second lead and ended up finishing second.

In my opinion, he needs to step up his game big time in the remaining F2 races if he wants to guarantee himself an F1 seat next year. Even if that does happen though, I’ve read that McLaren are seriously contemplating getting him to just do some Friday sessions next year, to get used to the car.

I still think he has a shot to be in F1 next year, but it’s not as clear cut as it once was, like say after the first F2 race when everyone declared him the next F1 WDC. He needs to beat Russel more consistently, and he needs more wins. He has a lot of hype behind him right now, but numbers don’t lie.

At this point, I’m not entirely convinced Norris will be in F1 next year.

I have heard the rumour about the Sept 30 deadline, but I haven’t seen that rumour confirmed by an official source. So, putting this rumour aside, let’s look just at pure performance so far in 2018.

In 14 F2 races, he has only 1 win, 1 pole position, and 1 fastest lap, along with 6 podium finishes. That’s by no means a horrible record, but it’s also not the most fantastic one ever. Compared to LeClerc’s season last year, or Vandoorne in 2015, Norris’s season so far is really nothing special.

Granted some of his poor results are due to the start procedure issues that the new F2 cars suffered from, but he’s also shown some holes in his driving game. Even at the last round in Hungary, he showed blistering pace in the wet, but once the track dried and everyone changed to slicks, he coughed up a 12 second lead and ended up finishing second.

In my opinion, he needs to step up his game big time in the remaining F2 races if he wants to guarantee himself an F1 seat next year. Even if that does happen though, I’ve read that McLaren are seriously contemplating getting him to just do some Friday sessions next year, to get used to the car.

I still think he has a shot to be in F1 next year, but it’s not as clear cut as it once was, like say after the first F2 race when everyone declared him the next F1 WDC. He needs to beat Russel more consistently, and he needs more wins. He has a lot of hype behind him right now, but numbers don’t lie.
Biggest problem for Norris is named Russell. He still leads championship despite stalling, having technical dnfs, being taken out while fighting for the win, in clean weekend showing almost Leclerc-esque form.
All that while Norris is having many up and down weekends, his racecraft being a bit off (struggling for few laps to get past and then pulling off a brilliant move, you are watching him struggle and next corner he pulls off a great overtake, it’s almost weird).
But still, neither is in that dominant team, which gave Leclerc about half a sec last year :P

But yeah, if Norris gets an F1 seat before Russell it will be sad, but not Stroll sad

adb
Biggest problem for Norris is named Russell. He still leads championship despite stalling, having technical dnfs, being taken out while fighting for the win, in clean weekend showing almost Leclerc-esque form.
All that while Norris is having many up and down weekends, his racecraft being a bit off (struggling for few laps to get past and then pulling off a brilliant move, you are watching him struggle and next corner he pulls off a great overtake, it’s almost weird).
But still, neither is in that dominant team, which gave Leclerc about half a sec last year :P

But yeah, if Norris gets an F1 seat before Russell it will be sad, but not Stroll sad

Two different drive dev programs so not really sad just understandable due to the market. Doesn't mean Russell wont get in at say Williams next year, but does mean it will probably take him longer to get to his final desired seat, Mercedes.

Also the very off and on performances of all the drivers is more due to the cars this season and the issues F2 has had in that area than the drivers alone.

Two different drive dev programs so not really sad just understandable due to the market. Doesn't mean Russell wont get in at say Williams next year, but does mean it will probably take him longer to get to his final desired seat, Mercedes.

Also the very off and on performances of all the drivers is more due to the cars this season and the issues F2 has had in that area than the drivers alone.
Maybe sad was a wrong word :P
On the performance though, are you sure? While the results, I agree, are affected by technical issues, what I meant was that Russell ever since Baku seemed to be on it week in week out, while Norris has been off sometimes.

Still two good drivers, both probably ready for F1, Russell more so, but Norris will get there.

2g64ks.jpg

adb
Maybe sad was a wrong word :P
On the performance though, are you sure? While the results, I agree, are affected by technical issues, what I meant was that Russell ever since Baku seemed to be on it week in week out, while Norris has been off sometimes.

Still two good drivers, both probably ready for F1, Russell more so, but Norris will get there.

Yes because these drivers have said that the car performances being so fickle have made some weekends harder than others.

Maybe I missed it, but did any driver changes get hinted at for FI? I thought Ocon was nodded to go to Renault before Ricciardo jumped in there. Perez/Ocon going to stay for FI (assuming the team is even running next year....)?

Maybe I missed it, but did any driver changes get hinted at for FI? I thought Ocon was nodded to go to Renault before Ricciardo jumped in there. Perez/Ocon going to stay for FI (assuming the team is even running next year....)?
Perez is probably staying as he brings alot of money, although if grosjean keeps under performing I would suspect he might move to Haas.

Ocon will have no seat though as Stroll will very likely be in that seat, now that daddy bought it.

Ocon might end up at Torro Rosso possibly, if gasly is taking Ricciardos seat Redbull have no one to replace him in their stable ticktum hasn't got the super license points even if he wins F3.

Williams are in a good position to get some good drivers for next year but they are addicted to pay driver money like a drug addict so who knows.

Last edited:
Ah, that's right. I blanked on Stroll. I knew there was something up with Ocon....I just forgot he was without a chair when the music stopped. I hope he finds a seat. I think he's got some talent (more than many of the other drivers and arguably more than Perez, etc.). Maybe end up at Williams next year (Merc. power to Merc. power, etc.), but as you said - he likely doesn't bring the big bucks.

So what seats are now in question?

1) Empty Williams seat.
2) Possibly Hartley with Toro Rosso (or do we think he stays because Gasly moved on?)
3) Van Doorne if anybody with more talent or money comes along?

And drivers out so far is just Ocon at the moment, correct? Is that more or less where we're at? Anybody else we expect to get the boot? I'd like to see Haas move on with better drivers, personally.

So what seats are now in question?

1) Empty Williams seat.
2) Possibly Hartley with Toro Rosso (or do we think he stays because Gasly moved on?)
3) Van Doorne if anybody with more talent or money comes along?

And drivers out so far is just Ocon at the moment, correct? Is that more or less where we're at? Anybody else we expect to get the boot? I'd like to see Haas move on with better drivers, personally.

From what the TV "insiders" are saying, we get the sense that Ocon is a lock to McLaren and thus Norris will get testing time in the F1 car next year, so Ocon has basically a 1 year prove-it deal. Stroll would obviously get a seat at Force India ( or whatever new name it'll have ) and Kubica would be Williams nº1.

If all of the above is truth, let's just hope Williams improves it's woeful car and give Kubica to a fighting chance in the midfield. Thrilled to see the him back.

EDIT: Also, worth pointing out that there's rumours of Ocon doing a seat mould test with McLaren and not fitting the car, plus there's the issue of Vandoorne's contract which would have to be bought out so, there's still a lot of uncertainty here and the big driver switch might just be a small switch after all.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's mentioned already but Channel 4's commentators were commenting yesterday that Ockon looks likely to have a drive
in F1 next year but where he'll be is presently unconfirmed.

Toto Wolff is currently his manager and has apparently been on record saying he has a potential drive for next year but they were speculating
he might be able to move to Torro Rosso but as Mercedes supply engines to Force India they might use that as an exucse to suggest he remain
at Force India.

There is also the speculation that the underperforming Valtterie Bottas might also be given a hint that unless he starts improving his game
his seat might be up in the foreseeable future (2020 when it's due for renewal) so guess it will come out over the rest of the season where
Ockon goes.

I think Vandoorne won't be driving for Mclaren next year. The way he keeps being emotionless after all this misery gives me the impression he's already been told he won't have a seat next year for a good while now. There's no way you have such a horrible season, and not be frustrated with it. Add to that he was driving 25 seconds behind both Williams' at Spa...

I dunno, watching the (sad) documentary about McLaren F1 from last year (or was it earlier this year?) I see nothing likeable about Van Doorne as a person. Boring, emotionless, and apparently not very kind to his father who helped him get to where he is. I don't think he's signed off...he's just Van Doorne. I haven't seen a less interesting person ever portrayed in a professional sport. I suspect he's got Scandinavian blood in him...

I doubt it, short of Force India canning him...McLaren is a backward move from 'most' of the teams on the grid (unless they have big money to throw at someone and Perez is hoping for a couple seasons of big pay before leaving the series).

My bizarre hope for next season. Sirotkin gets the boot. Ocon and Kubica team up at Williams, who magically suddenly understand F1 technology again and become a competitive "mid pack" team. I like both those guys, and I'd like to see Williams become less of a joke. It won't happen of course...but that's my dream scenario if Ocon isn't picked up by a better team.

Back