The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

Posting here to avoid de-railing the White Privilege thread.

Oh and by the way George Floyd was also involved in an armed robbery and home invasion. If George was living a peaceful life and not home invading or selling cocaine to teens, or planning bank robberies in the last years of his life than damn the guy would deserve sympathy.

While I will absolutely not defend any of his previous transgressions, George Floyd was still an American citizen, and as such had rights, even as a criminal. He had rights to an attorney, rights to speak freely or otherwise, and rights to his day in court. That's not up for debate, and that cannot be questioned. That is a fact, by way of our Constitution.

Instead, he had his own personal rights violated by the people whose job it was to see after his personal safety (yes, cops do have a responsibility to make sure their suspect is safe), while he was detained, and not a real threat to anybody around him. None of his previous transgressions, or even the fairly small offense of using a counterfeit bill, justify extra-judicial homicide, let alone the clearly agonizing time that he went through. And considering previous cases in the US of questionable police shootings against African-Americans, Floyd's death just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

If you can't understand that, and your own take on the events stop at "well he was a criminal, so 🤬 'em," while also purposely stripping away all the context of his death, not only is that ridiculously ironic, it frankly also says a lot more about your own character as a person than anything else.

They cut the clip short of my favorite part, but then it's a hand gesture typically used in place of verbal obscenities and this was a news broadcast, so that's obviously a no-no per FCC regs. He does mention having gestured so in the phone interview.

They cut the clip short of my favorite part, but then it's a hand gesture typically used in place of verbal obscenities and this was a news broadcast, so that's obviously a no-no per FCC regs. He does mention having gestured so in the phone interview.

Didn't you get the news? Standing around and doing nothing is a federal crime now! /s

Didn't you get the news? Standing around and doing nothing is a federal crime now! /s
Well, he did approach to ask a question. He could have attempted to use a phone to "scan" them like the old guy that "tripped & fell" in Buffalo, except...well...he wasn't holding a phone.

But damn, that beating and fogging...

That guy was obviously planted by the leftists. He was sent there specifically to provoke a response with his...stillness.

Earlier this month, the Flowery Branch City Council voted to rename the road because they wanted to send a positive message and Janenne Hammon said, “this is a step in the right direction” and “they had no idea the road was named after an actual person.”

The new road signs have been ordered; however, the pandemic is slowing down production. The City of Flowery Branch also plans to place a plaque in a nearby park in Hall County explaining who Jim Crow was and his legacy, according to Mayor Mike Miller.

Maybe try teaching about him in schools. That might work. A plaque in a park isn't gonna educate anyone.

Earlier this month, the Flowery Branch City Council voted to rename the road because they wanted to send a positive message and Janenne Hammon said, “this is a step in the right direction” and “they had no idea the road was named after an actual person.”

The new road signs have been ordered; however, the pandemic is slowing down production. The City of Flowery Branch also plans to place a plaque in a nearby park in Hall County explaining who Jim Crow was and his legacy, according to Mayor Mike Miller.

Maybe try teaching about him in schools. That might work. A plaque in a park isn't gonna educate anyone.
They're talking about the nice farmer Jim Crow. He's a local figure. Not sure why they would need to teach about him in schools. The nasty Jim Crow wasn't even a real person and doesn't need a plaque.

It's good that the road continues to be named after the real Jim.

496915EF-258B-4F48-84D5-70F3561050A9.jpeg

Last edited:
^It appears the dead officer was shot in the head by his partner as they returned fire at Washington. Rather than BLM sending people out to kill cops as the above screenshot's "BLM cop killer" headline might suggest, it sounds like a violent thug with a BLM supporting post on his social media feed fired on cops after being pulled over but didn't hit either of them.

https://www.q13fox.com/news/court-documents-say-partner-fired-shot-that-killed-bothell-officer

One thing I don't understand from the article is that it says Washington is "legally responsible" for the death Shoop. Sure, Washington is guilty of attempted murder, assault of a police officer, and probably a laundry list of other things, but Schoop is dead because his partner operated a firearm in an unsafe manner. Officer Kumcur should, at the very least, be charged with negligent manslaughter (probably called negligent homicide in some states).

It's pretty crazy to think about how quickly something like that can spread thanks to the wonders of the internet.

One thing I don't understand from the article is that it says Washington is "legally responsible" for the death [of Schoop]. Sure, Washington is guilty of attempted murder, assault of a police officer, and probably a laundry list of other things, but Schoop is dead because his partner operated a firearm in an unsafe manner. Officer Kumcur should, at the very least, be charged with negligent manslaughter (probably called negligent homicide in some states).
I wouldn't be surprised if Kumcur were protected by @Danoff's qualified immunity from upthread. Absent someone to blame, they can pin it all on the "BLM" cop "killer" instead. After all, if he hadn't shot at them there would've been no Keystone Kops friendly fire in return, is what the county prosecutor is arguing.

Last edited:
If you want real change, as I do, these developments are salutary, as they sharpen the issues and bring more people with stronger feelings, deeper ideas and higher stakes to bear on the problem(s). This will end well, and with real change, and it will never go back to the way it was.

In Seattle, the protest movement is in almost 100% control of the city. The police obligingly are standing down under orders from their Chief to avoid injury when large, armed and violent crowds are present. Oh, there is a judge who is contesting, for the moment, the council's order to disarm police, and yes, the feds are coming in to guard their courthouse, But that is no problem, but an opportunity. As of the moment, the council is strongly supported by the electorate, some businesses and gentrifiers excepted.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS

Last edited:
The toll from yesterday's protest riot was 45 arrested and 21 officers injured.

Protesters are now equipped with helmets, sledgehammers and IED's powerful enough to blow an 8" diameter hole in the wall of the East Precinct.

176bb244-22a3-41e3-abd8-db3c3f49a139_16x9.jpg
176bb244-22a3-41e3-abd8-db3c3f49a139_1140x641.jpg

Credit: Seattle Police Department
Seattle police tweeted a photo of fireworks they say were being thrown at officers during demonstrations Saturday, July 25, 2020.

c9c05b2a-9d67-4ccf-b4bb-c930b5fd54b2_16x9.jpg
c9c05b2a-9d67-4ccf-b4bb-c930b5fd54b2_1140x641.jpg

A hole in the wall of the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct where protesters allegedly threw an explosive device, July 25, 2020

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/th...trations-portland/STVDEK5XUJHWLL2HQZT2NWDYVY/

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...ions/281-38955326-eaf5-4206-9d81-a1f28d7feef4

Monday EDIT:

https://apnews.com/80145dc4942501c55a3cd5f939245a31
Highly intelligent protesters mob in Oakland have adapted medieval technology with space-age technology to successfully burn a courthouse in Oakland. They crafted their protest signs into proper shields, and utilized lasers to blind police. Even with paid healthcare and full pension, few public servants in their right mind will do their duty if he or she is to go blind. Reportedly, three federal agents may have been permanently blinded defending the courthouse at Portland. Reportedly, both police and protesters in Hong Kong are using lasers.

Do the means of burning a courthouse and blinding police justify the ends of the protesters mob?

Since one of the goals is to reduce or abolish police, must the answer be yes for all those who have bent the knee to the movement?

Are police justified in using lasers in response?

Monday evening
edit:

4 of the 9 city council members had their homes visited last night by protesters. Highly direct democracy!

Last edited:
Protesters are now equipped with helmets, sledgehammers and IED's powerful enough to blow an 8" diameter hole in the wall of the East Precinct.

176bb244-22a3-41e3-abd8-db3c3f49a139_16x9.jpg
176bb244-22a3-41e3-abd8-db3c3f49a139_1140x641.jpg

Seattle police tweeted a photo of fireworks they say were being thrown at officers during demonstrations Saturday, July 25, 2020.

c9c05b2a-9d67-4ccf-b4bb-c930b5fd54b2_16x9.jpg
c9c05b2a-9d67-4ccf-b4bb-c930b5fd54b2_1140x641.jpg

A hole in the wall of the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct where protesters allegedly threw an explosive device, July 25, 2020

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/th...trations-portland/STVDEK5XUJHWLL2HQZT2NWDYVY/

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...ions/281-38955326-eaf5-4206-9d81-a1f28d7feef4

Without meaning to seem rude it looks like a picture of some fireworks, and the hole looks like a hole in some wooden board? The evidence doesn't match the description that made it sound like every protestor was equipped with demolition explosives in order to systematically destroy bricks-and-mortar installations.

Do the means of burning a courthouse and blinding police justify the ends of the protesters mob?

Obviously not. Is that the end of every member of the "mob", if that's what all attendees genuinely comprise?

Since one of the goals is to reduce or abolish police, must the answer be yes for all those who have bent the knee to the movement?

Maybe, if one had a head injury.

Are police justified in using lasers in response?

If it's okay for protestors to do then yes. Obviously it isn't okay for protesters to do it, so no.

4 of the 9 city council members had their homes visited last night by protesters. Highly direct democracy!

What's undemocratic about it?

@TenEightyOne
Obviously I have a lot of unresolved questions about current protest tactics and methods, indeed the temper of the times.
My first protest was the same day Martin Luther King, Jr marched on Washington, D,C.; I circled the Federal Courthouse in Seattle silently with a sign.
My first riot was the Viet Nam era U-district street riots. We set some dumpsters on fire. Against the Iraq invasion, I beat on a drum and shouted myself hoarse. For all the good it did (not).
My final protest/riot protest was the '99 WTO Battle of Seattle. I marched in the labor parade, and during the riot I stood with the anarchists but my only act was to contribute $20 at their medic station.

Back