The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

Last night in Chicago the looting started again:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-downtown-looting-20200810-3zwa3b7z frzrc5vdyb4qjqywrjvu-story.html

It seems to have been precipitated with false rumors regarding a police shooting, however I'm not sure if that has firmly been established.
I read from a friend of a friend in Chicago, it was that police had taken a phone from a witness from the shooting of a 15yo last night, at 5th & Aberdeen(?). That's what they heard.

A Tesla dealer was also lotted. Parts maybe?(not being funny, just guessing)

A cop is arrested for kneeling on a black man's neck and choking him to death. Hey, he's been arrested. Why all the rioting?

A black man is arrested for pretending to kneel on a white toddler's neck. BLM is evil!! Shut it down!1!!

This seems to be the "point" of this story to me.

Attachments

• 248887F6-F486-46AF-AAE9-B8F591880962.png
    248887F6-F486-46AF-AAE9-B8F591880962.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 19
Good thing he’s in jail
Yes. Also, it's a good thing the baby wasn't injured. Imagine if Jackson had really knelt on his neck instead of just pretending, like the cop did on Floyd's.

No doubt this will lead to a wave of black men kneeling on babies' necks in the name of Black Lives Matter. Or maybe it's a one off sick stunt that doesn't represent the movement in any way?

If only Floyd's death were a one off as well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-neville-death-body-cam-videos-guards-arrest-north-carolina/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49008746

Last edited:
A BLM Chicago leader said that the looting was basically reparations. An extract from the press release(2nd link below) on the BLMC site:
Black lives are and always will be more important than downtown corporations who siphon Tax Increment Financing (T.I.F.) money, while avoiding taxes, and exploiting the labor of Black and Brown Chicagoans. These corporations have “looted” more from our communities than a few protesters ever could, yet the Mayor reserves her anger for the latter. We will remain in the streets until our demands are met. We are reminding the mayor that she has not provided Black communities any alternative for demanding justice. The demands for community control of the police have been ignored and actively resisted for years while CPD continues to murder and brutalize Black people and tear apart Black families.

Meanwhile some Englewood residents, tired of the protesters, pushed them out of town.
A largely black group of Chicago residents infuriated by looters blighting the city pushed back against a Black Lives Matter protest.

As access was again blocked to downtown overnight to stop more marauding — with bridges raised and expressway ramps closed — protesters turned to the South Side, where a man allegedly started a shootout with cops in an arrest that sparked chaos.

The Englewood locals resisted, kicking out the protesters from BLM and groups campaigning to defund the police, according to Fox 32.

“If you ain’t from Englewood, get the ---- out of here,” longtime local resident Darryl Smith shouted at protesters during tense confrontations.

“Y’all don’t come out when a kid gets shot. Y’all come out when it’s got something to do with the -—ing police,” he yelled through a loudspeaker, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

“If your issue is with the police, take it to 35th and Michigan,” he shouted, referring to Chicago police HQ. “Don’t come in Englewood with it.”

The rally made its way to the police station for the officers involved in Sunday’s shootout with Latrell Allen — but again was quickly dispersed after angry pushback by locals who said the looting was nothing to do with the neighborhood.

“None of these -----------—ers are gonna be here tomorrow. That’s why I got a problem,” lifelong Englewood resident Duane Kidd, 42, told the Sun-Times.

“If they would’ve gotten something incited with the police, who’s gotta deal with it tomorrow? The community. Not them.

“They’ll be somewhere sipping sangria somewhere. I’m telling you like it is.”

The march dispersed after less than an hour following the standoff, with an organizer saying they did not feel safe.

“We refuse to let anyone come to Englewood and tear it up,” one local, Charles McKenzie, told the station.

Even a grandmother of Allen — who was struck by return fire after shooting at cops Sunday, triggering the looting — lashed out at the carnage, saying there is “no excuse” for it.

“I don’t agree with the looting because that’s just an excuse to get what they want,” Joyce Brown told the Sun-Times.

A Chicago Black Lives Matter organizer, Ariel Atkins, previously defended the looting, calling it a “reparation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives-matter-holds-rally-chicago-support-arrested-looting-unrest
https://www.blacklivesmatterchicago.com/press-release-on-the-englewood-police-shooting/
https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/chicago-locals-fight-off-protesters-and-shut-down-blm-rally/

Things are looking pretty bad for Chicago. Murders have almost doubled over 2019.

It's such a shame that these idiots are ruining what's supposed to be a genuine movement for good. It doesn't matter what they believe their looting represents. It's still looting. It's not the right look.

I wasn't really suggesting you should above. But instead of complaining about those who do, why not support the causes you beieve in instead? Why do people feel the need to show up anti-police brutality protesters as hypocrites if they're not opposed to their cause and want them to stop?
You don't have to be opposed to their beliefs and actions to want to show them up as hypocrites. But some may be disingenuous in their motives.

UKMikey
I'd suggest protesters feel they have more to fear from unjust policing in their own countries than genocidal regimes in others and probably disagree with your priorities.
That's as maybe, but it shouldn't be the determinant factor in why you protest.

But you're not going out to protest on behalf of those other egregious infringements. No, you sat on your ass and brought up rates of justified police shootings in response to complaints of excessive force which are, by their very nature because such an effort is made to conceal them and protect the perpetrators, not accounted for in the same manner. This is deflection and it's dishonest.
Yes but I'm not a hypocrite.

I'm not protesting about systemic racism or signing petitions against people who profited from slavery while simultaneously placing an order with boohoo

* I'm not saying those motivated by the George Floyd incident shouldn't protest - that's their right. However I don't see a problem with people calling them out as hypocrites.

** Also the evidence regarding police shootings was to provide information on the debate about institutional racism in the police in America

You don't have to be opposed to their beliefs and actions to want to show them up as hypocrites.
Then why go after them?
But some may be disingenuous in their motives.
So why go after everyone? And what proof do you have? This is the whole virtue signalling thing over again.
That's as maybe, but it shouldn't be the determinant factor in why you protest.
Why not?

Protesters demonstrate over the causes they feel strongly about. To tell them they should be caring about other causes instead without supporting them yourself... well, there's a word for that.

It's such a shame that these idiots are ruining what's supposed to be a genuine movement for good. It doesn't matter what they believe their looting represents. It's still looting. It's not the right look.

It is possible to support the BLM movement without supporting the BLM as an organization. The movement is very relevant regardless of the organization.

I'm sure y'all have seen this...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...der-darius-sessoms-cannon-hinnant/3370924001/
Where's the protesters, looting and destruction of property?
Oh wait...
Where's the cop with his knee on the neck of the unconscious guy? Oh wait...

People kill people. The act is often senseless. It's awful. Here you are using the murder of a little boy to support your preferred narrative and it's ****ing disgusting.

Trumpism, man.

Edit:

Say his name.

I wouldn't expect anything else from you...
Edited for his edit...

People kill people. The act is often senseless. It's awful. Here you are using the murder of a little boy to support your preferred narrative and it's ****ing disgusting.

Trumpism, man.

Edit:

Say his name.
What's my narrative and what the hell does he have to do with anything I just posted???

TDSism man.

I'm not protesting about systemic racism or signing petitions against people who profited from slavery while simultaneously placing an order with boohoo

It's quite possible to be of a mind to sign such a petition while wearing Boohoo trousers (or whatever they make). If one continues to wear Boohoo clothes that have been found to be produced in unacceptable conditions then that's different. Consumers trust modern companies/producers to be doing the right thing but cannot act if they don't know when companies/producers are not doing the right thing.

That's why the ongoing conversations are so important in all aspects of history and modern life.

However I don't see a problem with people calling them out as hypocrites.

Are you capable of nuanced thought at all?

You can't see how there's a difference between police brutality in your own city of residence, and the behavior of a foreign government half the globe away? And how those two situations present very different opportunities to affect change? And how they represent two very different national relations situations?

How do you even know the thoughts of the average BLM member on China? How do you know they would or wouldn't support it if the US government wanted to take action?

--

I'm sure y'all have seen this...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...der-darius-sessoms-cannon-hinnant/3370924001/
Where's the protesters, looting and destruction of property?
Oh wait...

Where's the cop in this story? The person paid by the citizens to protect the citizens abusing their power and killing one of those citizens?

One civilian killing another sucks. It's very sad. That a kid was involved certainly hits a little harder for all of us, regardless of political viewpoints - conservatives don't have a monopoly on morality or humanity. But when a cop is not involved, it's not the same situation as George Floyd. Like Henry above, you've only been able to find a comparison here by stripping away significant context.

I wouldn't expect anything else from you...
Highlighting the false equivalency? Yeah, that's my jammy. Don't make inane comparisons and I won't highlight them.

Where's the white guy randomly shooting
Strawman, though I see you've since edited it out and indicated that you edited something else in.

But wait, I quoted everything in your post prior to the edit and it includes that which you've claimed to have edited in. Stop lying.

What's my narrative and what the hell does he have to do with anything I just posted???
It's apparent in that which you just posted. You're alleging a double standard--that people who are protesting against police brutality and the culture that protects them from being held accountable aren't concerned with a boy that was murdered by someone who lives nearby and who reportedly had even taken meals with the boy's family.

TDSism man.
"Trump Derangement Syndrome"-ism?

:lol:

Edit:

Say his name.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also wonder why it wasn't a complete sentence...
Who knows?

This, however, doesn't address you having deceitfully feigned transparency by claiming to have edited in something that already existed while having edited something else out without acknowledging having done so.

Also...

Say his name.

Why won't you say it? You have no difficulty capitalizing on his senseless slaying but you can't be bothered to acknowledge who he was. That's rather messed up.

Who knows?

This, however, doesn't address you having deceitfully feigned transparency by claiming to have edited in something that already existed while having edited something else out without acknowledging having done so.

Also...

Say his name.

Why won't you say it? You have no difficulty capitalizing on his senseless slaying but you can't be bothered to acknowledge who he was. That's rather messed up.
Who's name?

Who's name?
"Whose"; it's a possessive pronoun. "Who's" is a contraction linking "who" with "is" or "has." Make grammar great again.

The boy whose murder you invoked in your inane comparison with the murder of George Floyd at the knee of an individual who's sworn to protect.

Hint: You "liked"* a post over in the political image thread that contained a screenshot of a tweet from Twitter Trumpkin Matt Walsh, and which, in addition to naming the victim, issued the demand to "say his name" that I have since co-opted because conservatives such as Walsh and yourself are using his murder to prop up an imbecilic narrative.

Screenshot_20200814-102024.png

Edit: I'd wager the victim's name is also in the article you linked above.

Back