Republican Sheri Gilligan
Republican Joseph Gullett
Republican Martin Momtahan
Republican Jason Ridley
Republican Steven Sainz
Republican Philip Singleton
Republican Steve Tarvin

It passed in the House with 157 votes.

I would genuinely love to know their (likely insane) reasoning for voting against this measure. Imo you have to be a truly evil person to be against comping people being let go for proving they were wrongfully convicted.

I would genuinely love to know their (likely insane) reasoning for voting against this measure. Imo you have to be a truly evil person to be against comping people being let go for proving they were wrongfully convicted.
They have to be hard on crime, even if it means some people being wrongfully convicted.

Last edited:

Republican Tommy Benton
Republican Charlice Byrd
Republican Beth Camp
Republican Kasey Carpenter
Republican Sheri Gilligan
Republican Joseph Gullett
Republican Martin Momtahan
Republican Jason Ridley
Republican Steven Sainz
Republican Philip Singleton
Republican Steve Tarvin

It passed in the House with 157 votes.

How this list doesn't include MTG.... did she forget to show up/vote that day?

They have to be hard on crime, even if it means some people being wrongfully convicted.
Of course you know they believe those wrongfully convicted are going to look nothing like them. Yes, every single one of the rat ****ers is white.

Posting this here rather than over in Free Speech because, while I agree with the prediction that this case goes to SCOTUS for resolution, I'd wager that it goes there specifically to die and doesn't present broader free speech implications.

So to everyone here who hates cops, you do know that if you remove the cops gangs are going to take their place right? Like in Kowloon Walled City, there were no police so the gangs took their place. I don't think anyone here with common sense would like that.

Last edited:
So to everyone here who hates cops, you do know that if you remove the cops gangs are going to take their place right? Like in Kowloon Walled City, there were no police so the gangs took their place. I don't think anyone here with common sense would like that.
:lol: #checks calendar# No one hates good cops or suggests removing them. Just the bad ones and those who stand in the way of their receiving justice.

Last edited:
Strawman_Fallacy.jpg

What if there were like... I dunno... ways to hold bad cops accountable for their actions?
This communism.

Good news today out of the Supreme Court on the law enforcement and criminal justice accountability front.
Defendants may sue on claims of malicious prosecution provided there is merely a non-conviction termination of the criminal case brought against them rather than being dependent upon acquittal.

Kavanaugh issued the 6-3 majority opinion and was joined by Roberts and Barrett, as well as the liberal Justices (Breyer, Kagan, Sotomayor). Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas dissented.

The war on drugs is idiotic, not least because among the victims it claims are those who have not perpetrated any offense, let alone drug-related.

It was a mixture of diesel fuel and oil, which shouldn't have necessitated any test beyond "smell," but it was important to put on a show and needlessly and unjustly incarcerate someone.

The war on drugs is idiotic, not least because among the victims it claims are those who have not perpetrated any offense, let alone drug-related.

It was a mixture of diesel fuel and oil, which shouldn't have necessitated any test beyond "smell," but it was important to put on a show and needlessly and unjustly incarcerate someone.

If I learned anything from Miami Vice, the cops should always taste the drugs first. And who better than agent Crockett, in his white lab coat?

QI is a barrier to justice. In the absence of abandonment, more of this is needed.

Edit:
Three Tulsa police officers were dispatched late at night to a parking lot, finding plaintiff-appellant Ira Lee Wilkins asleep in the driver’s seat of a running vehicle. They smelled alcohol on him, ordered him out of his car, and eventually forced him to the ground, where they pepper sprayed him. Wilkins sued the officers under 42 U.S.C. 1983, alleging they used excessive force in violation of the Fourth Amendment. The district court granted summary judgment to the officers, concluding they were entitled to qualified immunity because they did not use excessive force. The Tenth Circuit reversed, finding a reasonable jury could have found that the officers’ use of pepper spray was excessive force. The Court thus remanded this case for further proceedings, including consideration of the municipal liability claim against the City of Tulsa.

Last edited:

In 2001, a prosecutor and a police officer zeroed in on a child who they claimed could shed some much-needed light on a yearslong Louisiana murder investigation. But in reality, the law enforcement agents had pinpointed a suspect of choice, constructed a story around him, and then coerced a juvenile witness into adopting that story.

The next year, the man at the center of the investigation—Michael Wearry—was convicted of and sentenced to death for the 1998 murder of Eric Walber, after Livingston Parish District Attorney Scott Perrilloux and Sheriff's Detective Marlon Foster strong-armed Jeffrey Ashton, a young teenager facing his own separate charges, to implicate him. They allegedly fed Ashton a tale putting Wearry at the crime scene. They lied about the results of a photo line-up, indicating Ashton had selected Wearry as the culprit when he expressly picked other people. And they hid instances where Ashton departed from the agents' chosen story. All of this despite the fact that Ashton was at a strawberry festival the night of the crime, and that he maintained he'd never seen Wearry prior to Perrilloux and Foster introducing him to his picture.

Wearry's conviction was overturned in 2016. He will be permitted to sue the government agents who fabricated evidence to put him behind bars, a federal court ruled last week.

"Nothing in the story the defendants invented was based on information the child had provided to the Detective or the District Attorney," writes Judge James L. Dennis of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. "Foster and Perrilloux detained and coerced Ashton into falsely testifying to a narrative that had no basis in any evidence gathered in the case, physical or testimonial."
At question was whether the two men would be entitled to absolute prosecutorial immunity, which, true to its name, essentially makes it impossible to hold prosecutors accountable when they violate your rights while advocating for the state.

But the majority declined to award that here. The alleged misbehavior on the part of D.A. Perrilloux was investigatory, not advocatory, they said. As for Foster, the judges pointed out the obvious: He is not a prosecutor and is therefore not entitled to prosecutorial immunity. "Foster argues that since he and Perrilloux are accused of committing the same fabricating acts, any entitlement the prosecutor might have for his actions the detective should have too," adds Dennis. "The Supreme Court has rejected this exact argument."

But what perhaps makes this case most ridiculous—a stratospheric bar to meet—is that it was not at all a guarantee that Wearry's claim would succeed. Indeed, according to some, it may be wrong on the merits.

Such was the argument put forth by Judge James C. Ho in a dubitante opinion—one which disagrees with the majority's legal reasoning but, in some sense, stops short of rebuking its conclusion. In Ho's view, there's some reason to celebrate.

But not because the law was applied accurately. The problem is the law is utterly rotten, constructed of a slew of immunity doctrines that give special protections to the government by the government, all while prohibiting victims—whether of a prosecutor, a police officer, a prison guard, a judge, a legislator, a public educator—from achieving any sort of recourse.

"Worthy civil rights claims are often never brought to trial. That's because an unholy trinity of legal doctrines—qualified immunity, absolute prosecutorial immunity, and Monell v. Department of Social Services of City of New York, 436 U.S. 658 (1978)—frequently conspires to turn winnable claims into losing ones," he writes. "This case illustrates that conspiracy in action."
The conspiracy, he says, is that Wearry should not, in fact, be able to bring his suit forward. Yet that's not because it ought to be that way. It's because, according to Ho's interpretation of absolute-immunity precedent, it is that way. Unfortunately so.

"The majority says it is 'strange' to apply prosecutorial immunity here. I agree," says Ho. "But a faithful reading of precedent requires us to grant it here, no matter how troubling I might personally find it."

Ho's rebuke of the immunity doctrines—legislated into existence by the Supreme Court—is somewhat of an about-face for him. In 2019, he wrote that qualified immunity is necessary to "stop mass shootings." The legal doctrine protects state and local actors, notably police, from facing similar federal civil suits if there is no prior court case on the books explicitly ruling the alleged misconduct unconstitutional. In plainer terms, it's how previous officers have been able to avoid their day in court for stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars, blowing up an innocent person's property, shooting children, and assaulting someone before filing bogus charges. No preexisting court precedents had enough factually similar details, so the victims could not proceed.

Contrast that with Ho's most recent characterization of qualified immunity: "It requires civil rights plaintiffs to prove not only a violation of their constitutional rights, but a 'clearly established' one," he notes in his dubitante opinion. "But the 'clearly established' requirement lacks any basis in either the text or original understanding of" civil rights law.

Ho posits a remedy, and it has nothing to do with him. "Congress decides what our laws shall be," he writes. "Congress can abolish qualified immunity, absolute prosecutorial immunity, and Monell. And it can do so anytime it wants to."

He is correct. It recently had multiple chances to do so. And despite record consensus around an issue that used to be beyond obscure, Congress did what Congress does: Nothing.

Another young racist shoots up a bunch of black people, yet somehow gets taken alive…What a ****ing joke
This bugs me to no end.

Of course, by "this" I mean wanting for B to not benefit from a just system because A didn't didn't benefit from a just system.

Another young racist shoots up a bunch of black people, yet somehow gets taken alive...
I get what you're saying, and I'd be lying if I said that this thought didn't pop up in my head, but I'd 100% prefer for things to get to a point where black people (and people in general, of course) are treated with this same level of, for lack of a better descriptor, "decency," rather than have one or more other groups brought down to the same level just because we don't get that same level of decency.

What I really want to come from this situation, besides the assailant getting properly punished for his crimes, is for the police/prosecutors/whathaveyou really drive home that this guy is nothing but a racist dumbass who spent way too much time online and hated a specific group of people for no legitimate reason whatsoever. This country really needs to start being better about calling out the intolerant if we actually want to get some proper healing done.

It sounds to me like NBC news are being over cautious in their headline as there doesn't seem to be anything alleged about Foster's offensive FB post which is spoilered below.

corrections-greg-foster.jpg

Whether or not it's over the top to arrest him for hate crime, I can't blame the Justice Department for canning his ass.

Last edited:
A Michigan couple says their town seized a building they owned and then demanded that they buy two cars for the police department to get their own property back.

The case, first reported by WXYZ Detroit, began in December of 2020 when the mayor of Highland Park and the police chief dropped by a 13,000-square-foot building owned by Justyna and Matt Kozbial for an impromptu fire code inspection.

The city officials found a marijuana grow operation inside. The Kozbials, immigrants from Poland, say they had a state license to grow medical marijuana, but the city seized the building anyway and held on to it for 17 months without charging them with a crime.

Under civil asset forfeiture laws, police can legally seize property—cash, cars, and even houses—suspected of being connected to criminal activity like drug trafficking, whether or not the owner has been charged with a crime. But not only were the Kozbials never charged with a crime, police never alleged there was any major criminal activity.

In a response to an interrogatory filed in the Kozbials' subsequent lawsuit against Highland Park, a city police officer answered "none" when asked to identify any predicate felony offenses justifying the seizure.

Things then took a highly unusual turn when the Kozbials say they received a settlement offer from the town: Stop growing marijuana and buy two vehicles for the local police department.

A February 24, 2021, email provided to Reason by the Kozbials' attorney, Marc Deldin, shows that a Highland Park police officer, ferrying a message from city attorney Terry Ford, sent the Kozbials quotes for two cars from a local Ford dealership, totaling about $70,000.

Civil liberties groups often criticize civil forfeiture for creating a perverse profit incentive for police and local governments, since forfeiture revenues often go straight into their budgets, but it's practically unheard of to see such an overt shakedown put into emails and court documents.

"Extortion, there's no other way to explain it," Deldin says.

"This is really policing for profit, because instead of finding a crime, pressing charges, and allowing the forfeiture process to work out, they just went and seized the building and said, 'Give us two cop cars,'" Deldin tells Reason. "There was no crime, and there was no forfeiture process. The goal was never to forfeit this property because Highland Park wouldn't receive anything. The goal was to extort my client into providing squad cars."

Law enforcement groups say civil forfeiture is an essential tool to disrupt organized drug trafficking. However, civil liberties groups say the practice is unfairly tilted against owners, who often bear the burden of proving their innocence and fighting in court for months, sometimes years, to try and win back their own property.

Wayne County, where Highland Park is located, has an aggressive asset forfeiture program, particularly for cars. It seized more than 2,600 vehicles between 2017 and 2019, raking in more than $1.2 million in asset forfeiture revenues, according to public records obtained by the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a free market Michigan think tank.

Back