The 24 Minutes of Le Mans thread

• Thread starter GT5Power
  • 122 comments
Well, looks like I won't be able to set the record again, at least in the R18. The AI's are using a different pit strategy now. Used to, all the faster cars would make 3 stops which is how I could get ahead but now a couple of them always make just 2 stops (which makes sense anyway), which means I can never get in the lead and block to win. It's like they have become sentient and figured out how I'm beating them.

Might try pitting on lap 3 instead of 4 so I don't have to stretch my fuel tank in the early laps, then taking the lead early and blocking everyone, slowing them down so much that the race ends after 6 laps instead of 7, but that will be very tricky. If, however, it works, then I could probably win in a 600pp car.

Well, I was lucky to complete a 613 PP race in my R18 before the update. Report will be up at the weekend, along with some nice pictures. :) I'm going to try your strategy once I update @JMoney689.

Won in a 613. :) I might be able to make it even lower in the TS030, considering that it was stock and had hard tires when I raced it.

Edit: 599PP run done in the TS030 but it was really easy; I'll try the 580-590 range.

Last edited:
Edit: 599PP run done in the TS030 but it was really easy; I'll try the 580-590 range.

fffuuu.png

Looks like I'll have to save up to buy one of those...

EDIT: Bought a TS030, and after testing at Cape Ring I went ahead and went for the 24M with a 595pp trim. You're right, it is easier... First race my times were pretty slow, as I was still getting used to the car, but by the end of the 6th lap I was I the lead anyway. Got passed going into the Mulsanne corner after being nudged to the outside by the AI's. Second race, I had very fast laps for the first 3 laps, all under 3:50, but forgot to pit on the 4th lap :banghead:. I'm trying again later when I can focus better.

The Toyota corners just like the R18 and the top speed is about the same in the straights. It's the acceleration, using the KERS, that is so much better. PD have is such a lower PP rating than it deserved.

Last edited:
Just won in a 590pp Toyota. Race report will be up momentarily...

Toyota TS030 Hybrid- 590pp

RS tires
449 HP
50 kilo weight balast at 0%
500 front, 720 rear downforce
Transmission auto-set at 205 mph
TCS at 3
ABS at 1
SRF on
ASC on
Driving Line off
Chase View

Lap 1: I pass the Ford GT40 and R10 before the Mulsanne straight, and continue to battle the R10 until the end of the lap when he pits.

Lap 2: I begin the next lap in 7th, as about half the field pitted. I remain in 7th while blocking cars down the Mulsanne, staying ahead of them the rest of the lap.

Lap 3: I start the lap in 4th passing pitting cars. I trade several positions with passing cars in the Porsche curves.

Lap 4: I pass all but the Peugeot 905 as the other cars pit and start 2nd, quickly passing the 905 in the Dunlop Curve. I hold off the 905 in the Mulsanne despite it being a much faster car, and continue to do so until the end of the lap where I charge the pits with about 3 liters of fuel left.

Lap 5: After refueling to a total of 75 liters I restart 7th, moving up to 6th in the esses. I am passed by the Nissan 89, which I allowed so I could draft him and speed up, knowing he would have to pit again.

Lap 6: Starting in 5th I battle a Bentley and BMW for much of the lap.

Lap 7: I pass everyone except the 905, who just barely makes it out of the pits before me. I pull an outside pass going under the Dunlop tire on the kerbstones and stay ahead of the 905. By the end of the Mulsanne we were caught by the R10 and the Mercedes. Continuing to block I stay ahead until the Porsche curves where I was faster, through the Ford chicanes and winning by 2 seconds over the R10.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Competition huh? It's on. :sly:

Keep in mind that the 595PP time was done with RM tires.

-Leaderboard Updated-

I'm going to try this tomorrow with my 820 BHP turbocharged Jaguar XJ13. Hopefully the straight line speed will be adequate, but I'm afraid that it and the rest of the classic Le Mans cars just aren't fast enough down the straight. :(

I'm going to try this tomorrow with my 820 BHP turbocharged Jaguar XJ13. Hopefully the straight line speed will be adequate, but I'm afraid that it and the rest of the classic Le Mans cars just aren't fast enough down the straight. :(

You should be fine, but if I'm wrong you can always hook up and draft somebody, using longer gears in your transmission setup to get a higher draft speed (as well as better fuel mileage). I think most Group C's can make it 3 laps on fuel but if not and you can't gain a 45-second or so lead on the other cars before your final stop, I'd drive something else because some of the other cars will be on a 2-pitstop strategy.

Yeah, I've been doing this too much lately...

589PP done with the TS030 and a race with the Toyota 7 just for fun. (Watch out, driving that thing at night is suicide!)

So I did it with the Stage 3 Turbo Jaguar XJ13, with all aids off. It really took me a while, but I won, and felt nostalgia as I was doing it. :D I will issue a full race report tomorrow, and may even upload the replay for everyone to see.
:gtpflag:

I might attempt it with a 588PP 2J using the racing line. I'm afraid I'll have to set the gears too long for speeds on the Mulsanne, which will slow it down in the corners. Plus, I have no idea what mileage it gets but I'm sure I can't do it on one stop, which means I'll have to go slightly faster than the leader the whole race.

Nah, that can't be possible.

By the way, the Jag was at 646 PP, which would put me in the middle of the rankings. But it was a classic non-Toyota 7, non-Chaparral 2J classic racing car! :D

BTW @JMoney689, I know that the 2J-Hyperfridge has great tire economy, but I'm not sure about the fuel. However I haven't driven one since GT4 so if the physics have changed don't blame me :lol:

The Toyota 7 race was a 2-stopper on laps 3 and 6, starting on Inters because I couldn't steer it otherwise and Hards after lap 3.

I seem to remember trying this race in a Toyota 7 a long time ago, only to immediately spin on the Dunlop curve and selling the car afterward, thinking it was useless :banghead:.

I ran a race in the R92CP (which I sadly didn't save) and one in the Sauber, during which I set a new lap record of 3:29.792. I won both races by a small margin over K. Oneill's Pescarolo C60 Hybride, the fastest rabbit in the race.

Also, a new rule:

As of December 24th, 2014, ALL record-breakers will have to provide a full report or screenshots of the race.

Last edited:
I thought about making a thread for recording lowest pp records for ALL S-Class races, but without requiring video evidence I doubt that everyone on here will be honest. I'd probably end up with people claiming they did Le Mans in 500pp Civics :indiff:. Oh well.

I'll post two reports once I'm done with Christmas homework: 667 PP Ferrari FXX (The first roadcar to win) and the long overdue 589 PP TS030.

We're doing roadcars now? I gotta go get my Saleen and do this. đź‘Ť

Edit: Just won it in a 634pp Saleen S7. Report coming momentarily.

@GT5Power

Saleen S7 '02
634PP
897 HP
1107 kg
52/48 WD
RS Tires
Fully Customizable Suspension
1.0 front camber, other options default
Racing Brakes
224 mph transmission
Stage 3 engine tuning
Supercharger
50% Nitro Kit
Stage 3 Weight reduction
Carbon hood (body color)
All other options stock/default

*In my forgetfullness I forgot to save the replay (or take a screenshot...) so I'll write this as best as I can remember.

Lap 1: Passed 3-4 cars, keeping pace with leader about 18 secs behind

Lap 2: Gained a little ground as I got used to driving in the rain in the Saleen until I lost control while braking at the Mulsanne corner and spun into the sand. Now 24s behind. Most leaders pitted.

Lap 3: I gain a ton of ground on the new leader; I'm now 18s behind until losing it going into the first Porsche curve, giving me a 27s gap. I attacked the pits at the end of the lap and ended up ramming the Audi R8 who hadn't made the right-hand corner yet. It tried to give me a 5s collision penalty but the computer was already controlling my car at that point.

Lap 4: The Audi R8 along with the Pescarolo Hybride and the Toyota Minolta return to the track after pitting right in front of me. I quickly figure out I'd be battling these three on the final lap. I try to keep up with the Pescarolo but wind up in second, about 5s behind when embarassingly I spun again in the first Porsche curve. I burn off the rest of my nitrous.

Lap 5: I keep losing ground after continous clumsy corner-cutting penalties. By the end of the lap the Pescarolo and Toyota pit, leaving me 3s behind the Audi. I realize the Saleen can hit the first Ford chicane at about 190 mph, making cutting both chicanes well worth taking a 10s penalty.

Lap 6: I catch the Audi in the Mulsanne straight and go back-and-forth with him for the rest of the lap. He gains an edge in the Porsche curves and pits just ahead of me. I order 34 liters of fuel, then realize I still have about 7 liters in the tank and took too much in the stop.

Lap 7: The Pescarolo passes me before I get out of the pits, and I'm a couple of seconds behind by the Mulsanne. Unable to catch him with draft, I realize there's little chance of me winning. By the Porsche curves I'm 6s behind. I stupidly oversteer in New Mesa Blanche and hit the wall. Accelerating toward the Ford Chicanes I realize I can cut through to pass the Pescarolo and do so successfully, coasting across the line and winning the race by 3s.

Based on how many goof-ups I had, I can barely believe I won. I bet the Saleen could do it as low as 615PP, plus I have a couple other road cars I could try.

Last edited:
Props for that rabbit list; I'll try to PM you some contributions to it.

EDIT: Won in a 630PP Saleen, report coming up later.

Last edited:
In the meantime I won in a stock R390 and GT-One. I'll search through my garage to find some more good road cars.

I think I have 12 replays of 24 min races on my HDD. :lol:

Back