The 24 Minutes of Le Mans thread

• Thread starter GT5Power
  • 122 comments
Nice job. I also tried the Deltawing, but since I was in the lead on lap 3 and 24 seconds up on 2nd place while everyone had to make pitstops I didn't bother. The VGTs look tempting, however I'm far too lazy to grind for them :P I'm pretty sure that the AMG VGT would make the LM24 a breeze; I've tuned mine to be able to hit 500+ km/h (310+ mph) in a straight line and it's only 689PP...

Yeh I get lazy to grind also. Im even lazy just to login everyday to be on 200% bonus.
Interesting about you being in the lead on lap 3 with deltawing...the same thing happened a couple of weeks ago to me. My deltawing le mans has the hi rpm turbo kit, not sure if urs does or not. But I was in the lead on lap 3 by a decent interval and I didn't pit on lap 4 as the deltawing can make 5 laps for sure not sure if it'll go 6. But I pitted in at the end of the 5th lap and I don't know what happened but somehow car #2 caught up on the last lap or as I was leaving the pits and I ended up in 2nd place at the end of the race. I'm pretty sure it was the c60 hybride. Look .... It was very late and I'm pretty sure I was wasted. Not an excuse mind you, I love a challenge on the 24 mins of le mans. Oh and I forgot to mention, I've also done it with the Nissan zytek. I saved the replay so I'm happy to post it up if anyone knows how to do it. I know that I can export the replays and then I see them as files on the xmb menu but then I'm stuck. Not sure how to copy or even view them outside of the game.
I can record the replay on iPad or iPhone then upload them, I don't mind if anyone wants to see how frustrating the zytek was to win gold. That goes for the standard R18 as well, difficult! The ts030 is an awesome machine! I love that thing and can win the le mans almost every time at 100% power.
Anyways, enough ravin and rantin outta me....but I seriously do love this game. I'm always trying to win races with underdog cars
Thanks again GT5power for taking the time to lend your thoughts and experiences youve had on this fantastic simulator.
Anth

A legend's return

Yes, it's the GT40.

No, it's not the GT40 Race Car.

It's the Mark I.

The GT40 is one of my favorite cars, so after driving it around and realizing that it was pretty quick, I decided to run it at LM24. Its specs after modifications were as follows:

PP: 638
HP: 845
Weight: 1093 kg (994 + 99 kg of ballast)
Tyres: Racing Soft

My first task was to find a grid without the C60 Hybride, because that thing would demolish me no matter what. So after a few tries, I was pitted against the following grid:

1. L. Marty - Toyota 7
2. S. Nishida - MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V
3. M. Barthelemy - Peugeot 905
4. F. Kok - Jaguar XJR-9
5. B. Díez - Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot
6. F. Martins - Pescarolo Courage - Judd GV5
7. W. Dietrich - Mazda 787B
8. J. Philippe - Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total
9. D. Janssen - Audi R8 Team PlayStation
10. P. Hansen - Toyota GT-One TS020
11. K. Rothstein - Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model
12. N. Jansson - Nissan R390 GT1
13. E. Theissen - Audi R10 TDI
14. U. Williams - Ford Mark IV Race Car
15. B. Larsen - Jaguar XJ13
16. GT5Power - Ford GT40 Mark I

Lap 1 - 3:40.449

I slip past the XJ13 at Dunlop Curve and pass the Mark IV while accelerating into the Esses. I catch the draft of the R10 and swiftly overtake him on the straight before the first chicane. The pack of the R390, R10 Stealth and GT-One is too far away for me to be in their slipstream but I still outrun them and after the second chicane I'm right behind them. I go round the outside of the GT-One at Mulsanne Corner, draft past the R390 and pass the R10 Stealth at Indianapolis. I get wide coming out of the Porsche Curves and the R10 sneaks by and then dives into the pits, as do most of my opponents, including the Minolta in first. I pass some pitted cars before the end of the lap and finish the lap in 8th place, 11 seconds behind the now-leading 905.

Lap 2 - 3:40.725

The rest of the pitted cars are passed and I'm suddenly 3rd, closely followed by the R390. I slipstream past the R8 before the second chicane on the Mulsanne Straight, however knowing that braking for Mulsanne is hell for the GT40, I ease off and let him by; indeed, I get sideways and lose quite a bit of ground. I outrun him on the straight and slightly punt his back at Indianapolis, but he is much faster accelerating out of Arnage and I lose him. Meanwhile, the Minolta is battling the XJR-9 for 6th and they have yet to catch the Pescarolo Judd GV5 who apparently came out of the pits earlier than everyone else. I catch back up to the R8 at the Ford Chicanes and find that he's very close to the inexplicably slow 905, who ran a 3:49 lap :odd: I end the lap in 3rd place, 2 seconds behind the leading 905.

Lap 3 - 3:48.362 - Pit In

A battle for the lead ensues between the 905, R8 and me from Tertre Rouge all the way to Arnage, but I hang back on the straight because if I get them behind me they'll ram me into next week in the braking zones :nervous: Again I lose them after Arnage and make up a bit of time while entering the pits (sadly I won't make a 4th lap on this fuel), ending the lap in 3rd, 4 seconds behind. Further back, the Minolta, Pescarolo and XJR-9 catch the 4th place R390 and it is the Minolta that comes out on top after the R390 drifts into the sandtrap at the entrance of the Porsche Curves (so do the 908 and 787B, what is wrong with that place? :boggled:). I fill my tank to the brim, preparing for a short stop on the next lap.

Lap 4 - 4:22.222 (:eek:) - Pit Out, Pit In

The R8 barely overtakes me in the pits and a weird glitch (?) occurs in that I only accelerate to 20 km/h and keep going at that speed until the exit. The 905 comes out right behind me and I'm shown as being 7 seconds behind the leading R8 at Tertre Rouge. During the lap I slightly pull away from the 905 on my new Softs we both gain on the R8. I dive into the pits again and put in a bit less than what I'm offered. Knowing from a previous failed run that the Softs would be as good as flat on lap 7 I switch to Mediums. I end the lap in 2nd, 5 seconds behind the R8.

Lap 5 - 4:10.692 - Pit Out

I emerge from the pits in 7th (no slowdown glitch this time, did the pit crew fix it? :P) and battle the Pescarolo Courage C60 for position throughout the lap. In the meantime, the 905 chips away at the gap to the R8 and is only 2 seconds behind at the end of the lap. The Minolta closes in as well, but he has to pit. Me and the Pescarolo catch up to the 5th place XJR-9, who enters the pit lane as well. I end the lap in 6th place, 27.5 seconds back.

Lap 6 - 3:47.722

The fight against the Pescarolo continues until the exit of the first Chicanes of the Mulsanne Straight, where the Mediums start to lose grip and I spin out, hitting the wall and losing some 7 seconds. Suddenly the 6th place 787B is on my bumper. As per usual, I lose him after Arnage and re-pass him while he pits along with every other car in front of me. The 905 manages to get past the R8 on the Mulsanne Straight and ends up pitting from the lead. With 16 seconds to go, I begin lap 7 in 5th place, with the 905 32 seconds up the road. The 8th place Minolta is the last car to cross the line before the 24-minute limit elapses, doing so 10 seconds after me.

Lap 7 - 3:46.123

The GT40 takes the lead for the very first time in the whole race, barring the lap 3 pitstops. I was already worried about the Minolta managing to cover a 10-second gap until the end with me on worn tyres, however the 905 adds to my worries by coming out of the pit lane while I'm only at Dunlop Curve! :scared: The Tertre Rouge checkpoint shows us as being a mere 4.3 seconds apart, with the Minolta another 4.7 seconds further back. Fortunately I can still reach speeds of about 375 km/h on the Mulsanne Straight, so my lead is up to 5 seconds at Mulsanne Corner. I begin to hope that this will not be as hard as I thought.

Only for all that hope to evaporate as the 905 shaves off 2 seconds between Mulsanne and Indianapolis alone. F:censored:.

The Minolta is now only 4.9 seconds behind me and the Porsche Curves are torture on these hot tyres. The final checkpoint shows my lead as 1.351s from the 905 and 2.732s from the Minolta. By the Ford Chicanes the 905 is on my rear bumper and the Minolta is on his. The 905 punts me, making me briefly lose control and almost toss the race out the window. But I keep it together and there's nothing they can do as the little GT40 crosses the finish line and the crowd goes wild! :D

Final Standings:

1. GT5Power - Ford GT40 Mark I - 27:31.078
2. M. Barthelemy - Peugeot 905 - +0.350s
3. S. Nishida - MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V - +1.191s
4. D. Janssen - Audi R8 Team PlayStation - +8.743s
5. F. Martins - Pescarolo Courage - Judd GV5 - +12.151s
6. B. Díez - Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot - +28.144s
7. W. Dietrich - Mazda 787B - +34.211s
8. J. Philippe - Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total - +58.455s
9. L. Marty - Toyota 7 - +1 lap
10. P. Hansen - Toyota GT-One TS020 - +1 lap
11. N. Jansson - Nissan R390 GT1 - +1 lap
12. K. Rothstein - Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model - +1 lap
13. F. Kok - Jaguar XJR-9 - +1 lap
14. E. Theissen - Audi R10 TDI - +1 lap
15. U. Williams - Ford Mark IV Race Car - +1 lap
16. B. Larsen - Jaguar XJ13 - +1 lap

Post-race notes:

This was absolutely crazy. The sheer oversteer on the GT40 made this one of the hardest races I've ever completed. Even though I had a spin, I don't think the GT40 can go any lower PP-wise, as the 905 and Minolta had bad moments as well. I didn't expect the 905 coming 2nd and instead anticipated a last lap with mirrors full of Minolta, but I was pleasantly surprised. Having a decent lead at the beginning of lap 7 was crucial, as any contact would have resulted in me crying in the sandtrap :P Overall a really nice race :cheers:

Last edited:
The next car I decided to put through this ordeal was one that's grown on me a lot lately; the BMW Z4 GT3. Because who said pitting a GT3 car against LMPs is a bad idea?

Of course it wasn't stock. There's no possibility of any racecar below 600PP winning if it's not named TS030.

Specs:
PP: 670
HP: 900
Weight: 1235kg
Tyres: Racing Soft

The C60 Hybride had to be omitted from the grid as I wouldn't stand a ghost of a chance against it. So the lineup was as follows:

1. L. Marty - Toyota 7
2. A. Ishida - Nissan R92CP
3. M. Barthelemy - Peugeot 905
4. F. Kok - Jaguar XJR-9
5. B. Diez - Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot
6. T. Woodward - Bentley Speed 8
7. F. Martins - Pescarolo Courage - Judd GV5
8. W. Dietrich - Mazda 787B
9. J. Philippe - Peugeot 908 - Team Peugeot Total
10. F. Gonzales - Peugeot 908 - Team Oreca Matmut
11. K. Rothstein - Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model
12. F. Pace - AMG Mercedes CLK-GTR
13. E. Theissen - Audi R10 TDI
14. B. Poulain - Audi R18 TDI
15. B. Larsen - Jaguar XJ13
16. GT5Power - BMW Z4 GT3

Lap 1 - 3:43.987

The XJ13 is first to fall to the wrath of the Z4 on steroids at Dunlop Curve and I'm immediately tailing the R10 and R18. The R18 uses the slipstream to get alongside the R10 on the straight while I zoom past both of them. I spend the rest of the lap with them following me and my gap from the CLK-GTR hovers around 2 seconds. Most of the field pits and I end the lap in 9th place, 15 seconds behind the leading 905.

Lap 2 - 3:44.407

I find myself in 3rd place, not far behind the 2nd place 908. Seeing that the fuel won't carry me around the track thrice, I start shortshifting at around 5-6k rpm to conserve it. The lap is rather uneventful up until the Ford Chicanes where I get past the 908. I end the lap in 2nd place, 10 seconds down on the 905.

Lap 3 - 3:47.025 - Pit In

A somewhat lonely lap with me chipping away at the 10s deficit. My fuel is dangerously low and I'm worried about running out before the end of the lap, but I barely make it to the pit lane with a staggering 1L left in the tank, having cut the gap by 6s.

Lap 4 - 4:16.268 - Pit Out

I put in less fuel than what I'm offered because I'm going to pit again on lap 5. Thanks to this I emerge from the pits in the lead, closely followed by the 905. The R92CP manages to come out third. I exchange positions with the 905 numerous times throughout the lap while the R92CP slowly closes in. My lead is a measly 4 tenths of a second at the line.

Lap 5 - 3:44.390 - Pit In

More of the same. I'm not holding the 905 up at all and we're both benefitting from each other's slipstream. I let him by before the Porsche Curves because there's no point in fighting him anymore and dive into the pits. I end the lap in 2nd place, 4 seconds back. Meanwhile, the R92CP pits behind me, having made major gains despite me and the 905 running great laps. He's now only 7 seconds behind me and he's going to be dangerously close on lap 7... :scared:

Lap 6 - 4:15.728 - Pit Out

Cutbacks on the fuel again in fear of the R92CP catching me too early. I come out 6th and he comes out 11th, which makes me think that he's not going to finish the lap in time. The Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot approaches me and we battle throughout the straight, but he pulls away after Mulsanne. I cross the line 14 seconds before the end of the timer and the R92CP does so at 5 seconds left. The gap from the leading 905 who has now pitted is at 36 seconds.

Lap 7 - 3:43.848

I catch the 905 at the exit of the pit lane and build a 1.9 second lead until Tertre Rouge. He only gains 1 tenth of a second in the following sector, however unfortunately it is enough to put him within drafting distance and he's glued to me by Mulsanne. The R92CP is clearly visible now as well :nervous: The 905 is quite sloppy through the Porsche Curves, giving me a bit of breathing room. I defend myself one last time at the Ford Chicanes and take the checkered flag! :D

Finishing order (positions 5 to 9 are based on previous checkpoints):

1. GT5Power - BMW Z4 GT3 - 27:30.533
2. M. Barthelemy - Peugeot 905 - +0.641s at the finish
3. A. Ishida - Nissan R92CP - +2.206s at the finish
4. F. Martins - Pescarolo Courage - Judd GV5 - +15.567s at the finish
5. F. Gonzales - Peugeot 908 - Team Oreca Matmut - +33.861s at the Porsche Curves
6. B. Diez - Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot - +44.638s at the Porsche Curves
7. T. Woodward - Bentley Speed 8 - +45.147s at the Porsche Curves
8. W. Dietrich - Mazda 787B - +49.037s at the Porsche Curves
9. L. Marty - Toyota 7 - +53.552s at the Porsche Curves
10. J. Philippe - Peugeot 908 - +1 lap
11. K. Rothstein - Audi R10 TDI Stealth Model - +1 lap
12. F. Kok - Jaguar XJR-9 - +1 lap
13. B. Poulain - Audi R18 TDI - +1 lap
14. E. Theissen - Audi R10 TDI - +1 lap
15. F. Pace - AMG Mercedes CLK-GTR - +1 lap
16. B. Larsen - Jaguar XJ13 - +1 lap

Post-race notes:

Great race. I loved the handling of the car. I didn't like having to stretch the fuel, though it was my only option since I would either be too slow or have to make 3 stops, both of which would mean a loss. In retrospect, I could possibly have handled the Minolta too but it would have taken a lot more blocking. Quite satisfied :)

Last edited:
Back