The 700hp 2020 Ford Shelby GT500 Looks Like One Pissed Off Snake

tenor.gif

Always good to read off new Mustang's and a Shelby variant especially.

Since the Mustang was used in the remake of Knight Rider it has become my favourite of the modern muscle cars and I think it
looks the most stylish of them and sounds very impressive when I have seen real examples at car shows.

Hopefully we will see it added to favourite racing games in time.

Supercharged V8. Just wondering/asking but is this Ford Shelby going to be available in Europe? >>>> CO2 emmisions, euronorm.

I was really hoping for an Ecoboost V8. A twin-turbo V8 Mustang would be awesome, although I'm not sure if there's enough room in the engine bay for all that.

As for the debut? LA seems most likely, but I think I'd rather see it in Detroit.

Supercharged V8. Just wondering/asking but is this Ford Shelby going to be available in Europe? >>>> CO2 emmisions, euronorm.

I doubt it, unless parts of the EU have some sort of clause to overlook low production cars. Although if Bugatti can meet regulations, I don't see why the GT500 couldn't.

Has the lowered hood from the GT350, if I'm not mistaken.

Wouldn't be surprised if it did, it would make sense if they're trying to achieve track performance with more power, and considering what may be a larger rear wing than the 350R, that seems to hint even further at aero tweaks. The issue is on how the lowered hood will work with the Supercharger, but with the large vents for cooling it might be good to have a lowered hood. Though from the first teaser it seems to bulge up more in the middle due to what seems to be a giant, will probably house a TVS.

Though what I'm interested in his how much cooling effort will go into this if it does have a similar size induction as that of the new ZR1.

Wouldn't be surprised if it did, it would make sense if they're trying to achieve track performance with more power, and considering what may be a larger rear wing than the 350R, that seems to hint even further at aero tweaks. The issue is on how the lowered hood will work with the Supercharger, but with the large vents for cooling it might be good to have a lowered hood. Though from the first teaser it seems to bulge up more in the middle due to what seems to be a giant, will probably house a TVS.

Though what I'm interested in his how much cooling effort will go into this if it does have a similar size induction as that of the new ZR1.

I don't understand why no manufacturer outside of Koenigsegg (and a handful of others) has used centrifugal superchargers. Is it a reliability/durability thing? Seems like they don't need near as much cooling as these giant roots or twin screw blowers and there also seems to be more options in regards to packaging. The power ramp isn't quite as immediate, but it's still linear.

I don't understand why no manufacturer outside of Koenigsegg (and a handful of others) has used centrifugal superchargers. Is it a reliability/durability thing? Seems like they don't need near as much cooling as these giant roots or twin screw blowers and there also seems to be more options in regards to packaging. The power ramp isn't quite as immediate, but it's still linear.

The TVS is a far more efficient roots type supercharger, instead of having a three lobe design it has a more sophisticated four lobe design at a much higher angle to bring in more air and hold it longer. It also provides the street drivability that is often missing in a twin screw, while providing performance and thermal efficiency. The main issue with centrifugal types are that they tend to be housed in from the of engine, can be quite big compressors to give the same results as the others. This then creates other issues, since you need power to drive said compressor, there are parasitic effects, and thus you sacrifice bottom end power for top end power. The air brought in isn't linear either. The roots actually has on demand power through out the power band and is pretty consistent, the procharger types (the name I'm use to calling it) does mostly but not quite at idle or low end powerband.

I wouldn't call the issue like that of turbo lag, but somewhat similar. It's quite more dependent on how fast the engine is spinning but also how much power is needed to drive it so it can add power in the mid to top range.

The TVS is a far more efficient roots type supercharger, instead of having a three lobe design it has a more sophisticated four lobe design at a much higher angle to bring in more air and hold it longer. It also provides the street drivability that is often missing in a twin screw, while providing performance and thermal efficiency.

I've been out of the loop on superchargers since I left svtperformance like 7 years ago :lol:. Thanks for the knowledge dump. One question: What are the drivability issues with the twin screws? A friend of mine used to have a Lightning with a whipple on it and it seemed fine around town. Raced him once in my 170hp Civic I had at the time....it wasn't pretty.

The main issue with centrifugal types are that they tend to be housed in from the of engine, can be quite big compressors to give the same results as the others. This then creates other issues, since you need power to drive said compressor, there are parasitic effects, and thus you sacrifice bottom end power for top end power. The air brought in isn't linear either. The roots actually has on demand power through out the power band and is pretty consistent, the procharger types (the name I'm use to calling it) does mostly but not quite at idle or low end powerband.

I wouldn't call the issue like that of turbo lag, but somewhat similar. It's quite more dependent on how fast the engine is spinning but also how much power is needed to drive it so it can add power in the mid to top range.

I suppose if an OEM wasn't concerned about making a boosted engine feel like a normally aspirated engine, they would just revert to more widely proven turbocharging, which would then give numerous additional benefits. These modern turbos give so much boost from low RPM that the case for a Centri isn't very strong I guess. I can understand that. A friend of mine had a rotrex-supercharged NB Miata. That was a really cool setup and a blast to drive.

I've been out of the loop on superchargers since I left svtperformance like 7 years ago :lol:. Thanks for the knowledge dump. One question: What are the drivability issues with the twin screws? A friend of mine used to have a Lightning with a whipple on it and it seemed fine around town. Raced him once in my 170hp Civic I had at the time....it wasn't pretty.

Same thing I've seen when talking to people and the experiences my dad's had supercharging and what I've read. They have pick up in the lower rpms but they aren't as responsive as roots. They are more complicated at times, which is why many seem to have strayed away other than Dodge at the moment. They also run better at the upper band, and seem to consume fuel a bit more.

So when you think about it, new four lobe TVS superhcargers provide the same thermal efficiency, with being more comparable to every day driving, and provide fuel efficiency when driven properly. Also I've heard noise is limited as well.

I suppose if an OEM wasn't concerned about making a boosted engine feel like a normally aspirated engine, they would just revert to more widely proven turbocharging, which would then give numerous additional benefits. These modern turbos give so much boost from low RPM that the case for a Centri isn't very strong I guess. I can understand that. A friend of mine had a rotrex-supercharged NB Miata. That was a really cool setup and a blast to drive.

Problem is procharger/paxton/vortech types haven't really improved on anything since they became popular again in the 90s. Other than perhaps cooling.

Turbos to me seem like an obvious better choice than many applications, but then again when you stack it against the more modern supercharger technology, there is an argument to why they haven't fully taken over. Especially with the popularity of E85 and how well that works with these superchargers.

Pretty sure America has tougher Emission laws, with California being the toughest in the world.
I live in California, pre 1975 stuff is smog free and a lot of people bribe smog check. It shouldn't effect the GT500 in any way. The only time CA decided to be stupid was with the Corvette back in the 80s.

Let's guess numbers. I'm thinking this will have 775hp and 720lb ft torque ( not to be outdone by the new zr1s numbers). 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, 1/4 mile 10.7 @132mph weighing in at 3876lbs....this is of course using the auto version and providing ford finally gives a car like this some grip.

Is it confirmed there'll be an automatic for it? I was of the understanding the GT500 had stuck to being manual-only.

Let's guess numbers. I'm thinking this will have 775hp and 720lb ft torque ( not to be outdone by the new zr1s numbers). 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, 1/4 mile 10.7 @132mph weighing in at 3876lbs....this is of course using the auto version and providing ford finally gives a car like this some grip.

Why would they care about the ZR1? I would imagine the top fighting Mustang is being set up to go after what they said it was rumored to...the new ZL1 1LE. So 700hp or slightly more or less would suffice. The Ford GT is the ZR1 fighter and that car is probably out gunned against it.

7500rpm is pretty high. Voodoo?

Probably considering it's the 5.2, and there would be no reason to bore out the cross plane 5.0. They can supercharge that and achieve 700+ just fine on those. Since this is a more overall performer I think they want the 5.2 instead and so that is why it's probably safe to say it's the Voodoo.

Last edited:
How does this car weigh damn near 5000 lbs gross? I understand safety and creature comforts, but damn.

Jeez put it on a diet.

Back