The Acura Integra is coming back in 2022!

• Thread starter GTFan24
  • 259 comments
John Sibal using his rendering skills to "unwrap" the ITS. Oh my ****ing god I want this. However unlikely, could you imagine this with SH-AWD?!

Last edited:
That actually looks good, which is a remarkable place to be considering how bad the base Integra looks. Still though, if a "normal" integra costs $38k and the CTR is $42k...this thing is likely well over $50k. Crazy.

It will be hilarious when it gets laughed off the market because the actual enthusiast trim of what was pitched from the start as an enthusiast car is already so absurdly overpriced that Acura will think that they can charge the same price for a warmed over Canadian market Civic as Audi charges for the S4 before the obscene ADM Honda dealers will try to put on all of them.

Whatever hacks are still writing for Jalopnik are almost certainly already pre-writing the obituary articles about how great it was and how super unfair it was that it hit the market with a thud and how it was just misunderstood and how it's not Honda's fault that the people they marketed to by invoking 90s nostalgia remembered the nostalgia and not whatever ultra-specific "Um, actually" clarification they pretend Honda really meant when showing it off alongside immaculate DC2s and DC5s and NSXs in advertisements.
Probably by swapping words out of the parade of articles they wrote for the CR-Z and NSX.

Last edited:
I'm with you, but people are clearly willing to pay the mark-ups. That's my guess for why Honda upped the price on the new CTR; they figured they'd take a cut of those insane dealership profits. I think it's ridiculous what used S2000s and NSXs with solid miles on them are going for these days, but the prices are what they are because that's the kind of money people are willing to throw at them. Never underestimate the stupidity of our species, and the greed of those in position to take advantage.

Last edited:
Funny how cheap the CTR is in the States. The old FK8 in GT-Trim started here around 42500 €/$ (the base CTR at 38500 €/$). The new one is 30% more expensive with a starting price of 55500 €/$. Absolute ridiculous for a slightly bigger facelift with the same engine/Gearbox and many other components out of the FK8 (which already shared lot of parts with the FK2). And this are German prices which means in many other EU countries those prices are way more higher due to special taxes like Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, etc. who are all paying more for the same cars.

Last edited:
Funny how cheap the CTR is in the States. The old FK8 in GT-Trim started here around 42500 €/$ (the base CTR at 38500 €/$). The new one is 30% more expensive with a starting price of 55500 €/$. Absolute ridiculous for a slightly bigger facelift with the same engine/Gearbox and many other components out of the FK8 (which already shared lot of parts with the FK2). And this are German prices which means in many other EU countries those prices are way more higher due to special taxes like Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, etc. who are all paying more for the same cars.
£47k in the UK. But keep in mind a base Civic is a £30k these days! New car prices are mental.

I've been thinking on the issue of pricing (at least in the US, I can't speak for absurd taxation elsewhere), and we need to take into account that what defines an entry level car today is pretty damn luxurious by '90s standards, so it's not even fair to compare pricing of a car today vs the same model even ten years ago. The Civic (which the Integra of course has always been based on) has moved up market with all the safety, amenities, and tech you find in the 10th and 11th gen cars. I feel like the introduction of the Fit/Jazz to the American market was proof of the Civic's evolution; the Civic became less basic, and it left a space in the market to be filled. Enter the no-frills Fit and its sub-$20k price tag, which I think is what the modern Civic should truly resemble. Maybe we shouldn't be letting the "Civic" name distract from the product itself. Even the base model of this new Integra is really nice inside compared to the DC5/RSX, which itself didn't really offer much over the DC2 GS-R or Prelude. A 2001 Prelude SH (MSRP $26,100), adjusted for inflation, would be a $44k car in today's money. An RSX Type S? $35k today (just under FK8 CTR money), or over $41k after dealer installation of the A-spec handling & appearance package.

It's like looking at the American housing market right now. Yeah, the "average" house is more expensive than it used to be... but the "average" house has also been getting larger at the same time. I've seen enough news articles pop up about how "starter homes" aren't really being built much anymore because they're not profitable. When you compare houses over time by their square footage, the pricing hasn't really changed much for the same size house. People are simply demanding more these days and that's not going to come free, but I feel like cars are actually getting cheaper when looking at safety and creature comforts that come standard, and keeping inflation in mind.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a Prelude than this.
And I'd consider a Prelude if it were offered with AWD so I could drive to work in the snow.

I saw mules of the CTR and ITS on the freeway in Dayton the other day. Both camo - it must take too much time to remove the camo from fully revealed cars haha. The wheels and tires were massive, just a completely ridiculous width for a front-drive car. They both looked like very serious performance machines.

I want one.

Integra Type S to have widebody, 320hp, and six speed manual. It will be revealed ahead of the Indycar and IMSA race at Long Beach in mid-April

preview-928x522.jpg

preview-928x522.jpg

Acura today announced the highly-anticipated 2024 Integra Type S will launch this summer with an impressive 320 horsepower, 310 lb.-ft. of torque and class-leading power-to-weight ratio, taking Integra performance to its highest levels yet. With power derived from a race-proven, high-revving 2.0-liter VTEC turbocharged engine and paired exclusively with a precise, short-throw 6-speed manual transmission, the Integra Type S promises ultimate street performance delivered with premium appointments.

Geared for a new generation of enthusiast drivers, the 2024 Integra Type S will be officially revealed next month ahead of the 48th annual Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Last edited:
I am curious as to why they are going with the S moniker rather than the R moniker. Unless it's tuned to be far more compliant than the Civic, I believe the new ITS will be pretty hardcore and probably more fitting the R badge. I felt like the S badge was used for more streetable everyday performance cars in the past, like the TL-S, CL-S, RSX-S, etc. They were faster than the standard cars, but not setup for the track like the new Civic Type R is. The other thing is that the Type S badge isn't nearly as desirable, IMO, as the R badge and I think it will make a tough sell over the Civic which does have the desirable badge and is largely similar.

Maybe it was due to the last Integra being a direct port of that Honda ITR.

There's no current Honda Integra Type-R. Maybe the Acura division are doing just that, staying apart from the CTR. Certainly interesting to me, looking from outside the USA.

I think it's just a branding thing. Acuras gets the Type S (TLX Type S, MDX Type S) and Honda gets the Type R. Maybe there could be an Accord Type R again at some point?

I think it's just a branding thing. Acuras gets the Type S (TLX Type S, MDX Type S) and Honda gets the Type R. Maybe there could be an Accord Type R again at some point?
Was there ever a Acura Accord R? Don't think there was any Acura R besides the DC2 Integra.

This. After the ITR, the Type-S badge debuted on the TL, essentially replacing the R-name, & became Acura's performance identifier.

I was going to point out about the (Honda)NSX having Type-S and Type-S Zero. There was also the Honda RSX Type-S. It wasn't just an Acura branding. Of course, mentioned about Acura branding, but Type-S wasn't exclusive to either brand name.

The RSX-S was an Acura like the whole RSX since it was the Integra with the H badge. The Honda NSX Type-S and S-Zero were ~30 years ago. I would say Type-S is clearly an Acura thing.

I am curious as to why they are going with the S moniker rather than the R moniker. Unless it's tuned to be far more compliant than the Civic, I believe the new ITS will be pretty hardcore and probably more fitting the R badge. I felt like the S badge was used for more streetable everyday performance cars in the past, like the TL-S, CL-S, RSX-S, etc. They were faster than the standard cars, but not setup for the track like the new Civic Type R is. The other thing is that the Type S badge isn't nearly as desirable, IMO, as the R badge and I think it will make a tough sell over the Civic which does have the desirable badge and is largely similar.
Because marketing. Don’t think about it too much. Remember that a lot of the people working in their marketing departments weren’t even alive when the DC2 ITR existed.

Fundamentally this thing is rad and I can confirm that the wheel fitment and flares are nasty because I’ve seen a mule driving around. Sad that it won’t have AWD though. Be a lot cooler if it did.

Because marketing. Don’t think about it too much. Remember that a lot of the people working in their marketing departments weren’t even alive when the DC2 ITR existed.

Fundamentally this thing is rad and I can confirm that the wheel fitment and flares are nasty because I’ve seen a mule driving around. Sad that it won’t have AWD though. Be a lot cooler if it did.
Well that's where my hang up is. Type R > Type S purely from a badge cache & desirability perspective...but the Integra will probably be more expensive than the Civic. Idk I guess it's all rather meaningless, but nobody gets excited when a Type S model goes to auction (well, maybe those very rare NSX models) because the Type S has always referenced a fairly pedestrian model. I guess the real problem is that the Integra and Civic used to be fairly distinct..the Civic being the upright, short-wheelbase small hatchback and the Integra being the lower-slung longer wheelbase liftback coupe/sedan - you could have Type R versions of both of those without it feeling like a duplication. But now they are essentially the same car which would make giving them both the Type R badge redundant. I think the Integra needs to be less hardcore than the Civic to make sense...it should be more like a Golf R in terms of tuning. Maybe Honda could reserve it's even more extreme RR badge for a hardcore (even more hardcore than the Civic) version of the Integra.

Last edited:
Just looked on the Acura website. It’s like Acura on debut(puts hand over the two SUVs): a large sedan and a ”small” hatch. I guess this Type- S is needed in North America to restart the brand. I can’t see a high performance two-seater in the near future or a sports luxury two-door coupe like the Legend. Maybe their customers were asking for the ITS(no pun intended).

I think the Integra needs to be less hardcore than the Civic to make sense
I think this is what's going to happen. The teasers show that there's no massive wing like the Civic Type R. I think the Civic Type R will be more track focused while the Integra Type S will be more touring focused, sort of analogous to the GT3 RS and Turbo in the 911 range

From their marketing video:

In the end we made our own decisions about what Type S would be for north america which was the heart of the market. So the Type S is a sports variant that brings in the best of both worlds: the sporty aspects as well as not losing the civility of driving a vehicle every day

Acura is a North America first brand. They heavily focus on IMSA with their Acura DPI and now LMDh prototype as well as the NSX GT3.

The TLX Type S was marketed as a track car, but many of the reviews have noted that it definitely cannot compare to the RS4, C63, etc. It is more similar to the softer C43 and S4. But at the same time, the engine is heavily overbuilt. Matt Farah's MDX Type S video, they talk about how it's tuner ready and could probably handle 1000hp since it has forged internals and 6 bolt main bearings

1679429252397.png

Yup, those fatty fenders are exactly what I saw in camo this past winter. Honestly, the Integra Type S looks even gnarlier on the road than the CTR which was following it, also in camo. The fender flares and tire width of both are imposing but the Acura actually has a more planted presence in my opinion. It looks really awesome in person.

I like the contrast between the aggresive styling of this and the cleaner styling of Type R.

I think both looks good for what they are.

Back