The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,598 comments
100997201_3820782131326343_4059982570014638080_o.jpg
Beautiful shelf cloud. I'll be saving this one.

I really don't understand how people get shots like this with street lighting on the ground and what looks like daylight in the first image. You can barely see the comet with the naked eye even in the darkest skies.

Big aperture, long exposure, high ISO... maybe some filters, and possibly a bit of post.

I really don't understand how people get shots like this with street lighting on the ground and what looks like daylight in the first image. You can barely see the comet with the naked eye even in the darkest skies.

Each link has information the each picture on flickr. The first one was taken in the early morning. 4:49 is the time on the EXIF data assuming that's right. First light was at 5:11 that day. It probably just looks a bit brighter than it actually was.

You can spot a long exposure image easily by looking at the stars. The second picture shows the effects of this by the stars leaving trails as if they were stretched. Not so much with the other two.

I typically like to do longer exposure over higher iso because removing noise from an image can deteriorate the overall quality. There are also programs out there that can reduce, elongate, and stitch together star trails in post while the camera processes an image before opening the shutter again for the next.

It is interesting looking at the exif data for the 3 shots posted originally. One of things I noticed brings me to this...

Good camera

EF-S24 f2.8 STM lenses were used for these photos... first hit on eBay was £35. The Body was an EOS-80D, but something like a 60D would do as good a job, and they go from about £100 on eBay... a camera that gives you a decent number of settings is required, but it doesn't require big money to give it a go.

It's also interesting to see that the one shot has 5 times the exposure, 50% extra ISO, and only down one F-stop, yet it's the much darker photo. "Alan" is all the way up at ISO 12800, but he's up at 70mm, rather than 24mm.

It is interesting looking at the exif data for the 3 shots posted originally. One of things I noticed brings me to this...

EF-S24 f2.8 STM lenses were used for these photos... first hit on eBay was £35. The Body was an EOS-80D, but something like a 60D would do as good a job, and they go from about £100 on eBay... a camera that gives you a decent number of settings is required, but it doesn't require big money to give it a go.

It's also interesting to see that the one shot has 5 times the exposure, 50% extra ISO, and only down one F-stop, yet it's the much darker photo. "Alan" is all the way up at ISO 12800, but he's up at 70mm, rather than 24mm.
As a non-photographer, my definition of good is pretty much anything more than a cell phone or a point-and-shoot. Having said that, I did not realise how cheaply a serviceable DSLR could be obtained these days.

Look up exposure to the right. It’s a good method when in highly light polluted areas. I’ve tried it a few times and works good but gives it a bit of an unnatural look in the end.

Latest Posts

Back