The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
Source required, sounds like nonsense to me.

EDIT: All those stories seem to come from a Clarkson tweet.

So three presenters leave the BBC, start a new car show for another channel, but can't use "Gear" in the name for legal reasons? I still say that's bollocks, it's already been done. The precedent is for blocking "Top Gear", not "* Gear *"

It can't be due to licensing, 5th Gear started way after Top Gear and even had half the TG presenters! The BBC did not allow them to use the Top Gear name so they just used something similar and it was fine.

At this point even C4's Driven and ITV's Pulling Power are better names...

They took 9 month to reverse TG into GT.

Yup :lol:

Last edited:
It can't be due to licensing, 5th Gear started way after Top Gear and even had half the TG presenters!

That's exactly what I was referring to, 3 presenters left Top Gear and started the show again on a new channel ;)

Not the greatest name ever, it's sounds too "safe" for those trio. Also they will probably run out of interesting locations eventually (if they don't get sick of travelling and retire first). Having to move a whole tent every episode will also stretch the budget. I know they've got money but it's such a waste :crazy: Their long road trips have always been the best segments though so more of that is good. I'm gonna miss the power laps but we still got the original TG for that.

Incidentally, their name can also be a pun:
The Grand Tour = TGT = Top Gear Trio :D

Surely ticket sales to the tent will come up before the trio actually arrives on the spot? Otherwise how can spectators get to it in the first place? Unless it's free admission and first come first serve...

Obligatory travel & tickets competition...

The pre-recorded studio section of the programme will be filmed in front of a live audience, all housed within a giant tent.

To celebrate, Amazon is giving fans the opportunity to win one of three pairs of tickets, travel and accommodation to be part of the recording in Johannesburg. To enter for a chance to win, entrants should share, via Twitter, a photo or video of the most unusual place they’ve ever put up a tent

I know I'm late but I think Garage à trois would have been a good name :lol:
That and Gear Knobs are better suggestions than what they actually came up with.

I hope the fact that the format is in the style of a roadshow doesn't result in annoying audience participation like we are seeing on the new TG. Hopefully Clarkson will keep it a dictatorship rather than a democracy like he used to! :lol:

That Twitpic reminds me of one of JC's catchphrases on Old New Top Gear.. "Ambitious but Rubbish"... I wonder if that's going to apply to TGT?

That Twitpic reminds me of one of JC's catchphrases on Old New Top Gear.. "Ambitious but Rubbish"... I wonder if that's going to apply to TGT?
ambitious.jpg

Back