The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
Jeremy Clarkson is to host the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire reboot.

Series 3 likely to be the last after Clarkson got the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire gig. No fourth series has been commissioned as of yet.
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03/11/amazons-the-grand-tour-runs-out-gas
Hopefully there will be a series 4, but I don't tihnk this news really is confirming anything anyone didn't already know. The original contract was for 3 seasons, I doubt they would start sorting out any contracts for a 4th so soon after series 3 being aired.

I don't think the Who wants to be a millionaire job will affect things or prevent Clarkson from doing a 4th season or more if wanted either on Amazon or by talking the show to another broadcaster. Ultimaitely it will probably come down to whether or not the three of them want to continue.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is only running for one week, I doubt it'll disrupt things much.

The Metro have an article saying it's been axed. Now that is rather clickbaity to me. To say it's been axed when the truth is they just haven't offered it yet. Kinda like when all the media printed that Clarkson was "sacked" when the truth is that he just didn't get his contract renewed.

According to sources they've not even filmed season 3 yet and are rightly "just focusing on season three right now" as would be expected.

I'm sure they'll have other projects for after whether it's all 3 of the trio or maybe just 2 as they have done before.

Clarkson did say in one of the episodes that autonomous cars are still some ways off and the 3 of them will be here for quite some time because of that, so I'm sure they will continue to do something car related one way or another. Whether with Amazon or another platform, who knows? They really are showing their age though and realistically we can't imagine them doing these physically intensive travels and cocking about for much longer. I'd say 5 years max for JC & JM. Hamster could last longer (if he doesn't do anymore hillclimbs that is), but without the trio together it's rather pointless.

Last edited:
The studio segments are being filmed, so we should be close to release as the news segments have to be fairly up to date. The first studio segement was filmed on the 31st October and then there is 1 per week to the 12th December. It's not clear if they are filming more than one episode on each date or if they will be providing additional dates in due course. These are the dates people could apply for audience tickets for.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but i honestly have to say that the Grand Tour was really boring. I have wached the last 2 seasons and iam really disappointed.

I dont remember so well but what goes through my mind is that it was boring because everything felt (and probably is) scripted. Even the bad jokes all are scripted. As a viewer you will feel that. Way too much bs talking and other stuff instead of cars. We need cars thats what this series is right?

Do some of you remember the "Getaway" Top Gear episode? Where they drove in Albania with a beautiful S 65 AMG?
Thats how the Grand Tour should be. A funny or interesting Story where they can have fun and jokes and stuff + cars. The car aspect is really missing in the Top Gear.

Like i said i forgot many of my negative aspects about the series because i havent watched it for a while but all i know is that i will cancel my prime subscription.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but i honestly have to say that the Grand Tour was really boring. I have wached the last 2 seasons and iam really disappointed.

I dont remember so well but what goes through my mind is that it was boring because everything felt (and probably is) scripted. Even the bad jokes all are scripted. As a viewer you will feel that. Way too much bs talking and other stuff instead of cars. We need cars thats what this series is right?

Do some of you remember the "Getaway" Top Gear episode? Where they drove in Albania with a beautiful S 65 AMG?
Thats how the Grand Tour should be. A funny or interesting Story where they can have fun and jokes and stuff + cars. The car aspect is really missing in the Top Gear.

Like i said i forgot many of my negative aspects about the series because i havent watched it for a while but all i know is that i will cancel my prime subscription.
IMO most people that watch TGT are watching it for the trio, and aren't looking for every detail about the vehicles they drive. Essentially it's a fantasy TV show with the automotive aspect but hosted by what many claim to be some of the best presenters for this type of industry.

If you truly are looking for an automotive show, than the newer TG fits that better (but in no way is the best). The lack of good content, presenters, and stories however, make the series dull even though there are some standout moments. I'm not there to laugh when I watch it (I might've watched 1-2 episodes since Jeremy has left) but to see simply what it's about, and it doesn't keep me pulled in.

I can see that to a point, I still watch older BBC Top gear occasionally and do agree it was better but I think that was down to material being fresh.

I imagine it's very hard to come up with new ideas that are actually good so alot of it now is rinse and repeat with different locations and vehicles.
But, I can't stand TV and tell my wife I'll always rather interact with the screen by sim racing than sit there so after all these years the trio is about all I'll sit down and watch.
Watching Jeremy get pushed in the cold water, then Richard and James reaction to that is probably the best 30 seconds of television I've ever watched in 40 years.

The Grand Tour and Top Gear were both always scripted from the start. Though, I think I know what you're getting at, but being scripted wasn't the issue. The problem with the show and you could probably start seeing this in the later seasons of TG when these 3 were still hosting the show was that the scripted events felt more obvious and less natural.

I mean, I still enjoy this show myself and the later seasons when those 3 were on it, but for only the funny hi-jinx they get into and the reviews. However, whenever there's a challenge in session, I could easily noticed that some jokes were a bit more...um...forced. Yeah, forced; it seems like they were pushing some jokes where they were not needed versus the earlier TG seasons where they would let jokes only come into play when needed. For this, the earlier seasons feel way more natural where I could get more immersed into the content. Now though, there scripted events seem so much more obvious.

The full length episodes of TG (like the mini ski-jump, a remotely filmed episode, etc...) were always the best ones. This was around pre-2012. I think between 2010-2012 that was when things got iffy, and after 2012 it was all a wash (although the P45 was still a great episode).

What I couldn't stand in The Grand Tour was their episode where they wasted such a beautiful country to film in; Croatia.

That episode, funny at times, got my blood boiling. All to make a point that if they don't script their episodes, their show is rubbish.

That was the TV equivalent of your high school teacher lecturing and scolding the entire class about talking in-class and wasting time when her speech about the subject would waste even more valuable time.

but without the trio together it's rather pointless.

There is no doubt that the trio is very, very funny together, but I would certainly watch it without one, two, or even all of them if it ever came to it. I watched the new Top Gear and the first season was awful, but it did get better. By the time they cancelled (the idiots) Top Gear America that trio had meshed well and were doing a really good job. It isn't as if holy-trinity of CMH are the only funny trio ever to have existed. It's certainly possible to do a good show with different hosts.

Clarkson did say in one of the episodes that autonomous cars are still some ways off and the 3 of them will be here for quite some time because of that, so I'm sure they will continue to do something car related one way or another. Whether with Amazon or another platform, who knows? They really are showing their age though and realistically we can't imagine them doing these physically intensive travels and cocking about for much longer. I'd say 5 years max for JC & JM. Hamster could last longer (if he doesn't do anymore hillclimbs that is), but without the trio together it's rather pointless.

There is no doubt that the trio is very, very funny together, but I would certainly watch it without one, two, or even all of them if it ever came to it. I watched the new Top Gear and the first season was awful, but it did get better. By the time they cancelled (the idiots) Top Gear America that trio had meshed well and were doing a really good job. It isn't as if holy-trinity of CMH are the only funny trio ever to have existed. It's certainly possible to do a good show with different hosts.

I'll second @panjandrum's comments and mention that I quite enjoyed James May's "Cars of the People" series.

Of the 3, May is without a doubt the best presenter for car stuff. His other stuff, (Toy stories, The Reassembler, Man Lab) is all great too.

Clarkson is better when he is doing stuff like his program on the WWII Arctic convoys, and the one on the St Nazaire raid.

Hammond just sucks.

The main issue I have with latter TG and now the GT is the fact with all the "scripted stuff" is that the 3 of them now need to be actors, and none of them are able to do that.

The main issue I have with latter TG and now the GT is the fact with all the "scripted stuff" is that the 3 of them now need to be actors, and none of them are able to do that.
Indeed - and the trailer includes one such setup for a very obviously scripted joke that Clarkson's reaction to could not have been less spontaneous if it had been found inscribed on a Mayan stele.

I've always been fond of James May as a presenter of anything. All of his other shows are great to watch. Maybe his voice is one of those ASMR things the kids are memeing about

Back