The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

• Thread starter jammyozzy
  • 400 comments
They've even reverted to using "The Chain" as the theme music... forget HD, BBC will probably be opting for good old fashioned B&W instead for 2011!

A lot of people were happy with that decision. Been a fan of Fleetwood Mac for years (Both Peter Green and Stevie Nicks era). As a matter of fact, my interest in Fleetwood Mac was due to hearing "The Chain" on the bbc's coverage when I was a kid.

EDIT:

Hearing the chain reminds me of my childhood and of F1. It's a great piece of music and I can't imagine anything fitting in better. Like I said, a lot of people were happy BBC made the decision to use the chain. What would you have used?

A lot of people were happy with that decision. Been a fan of Fleetwood Mac for years (Both Peter Green and Stevie Nicks era). As a matter of fact, my interest in Fleetwood Mac was due to hearing "The Chain" on the bbc's coverage when I was a kid.
Me too. My point, however, was that the BBC are not renowed for pushing the envelope when it comes to moving forward...

Hearing the chain reminds me of my childhood and of F1. It's a great piece of music and I can't imagine anything fitting in better. Like I said, a lot of people were happy BBC made the decision to use the chain. What would you have used?

Since you ask, I would have used this:

Me too. My point, however, was that the BBC are not renowed for pushing the envelope when it comes to moving forward...

Yes, but in this occasion, they were right. Why try and fix something that isn't broke?

Touring Mars
Since you ask, I would have used this:

At the library (Partick btw for my fellow Glaswegian) so I can't listen to it here. Will dig out the dvd when I get home as the theme tune for OHMSS escapes me.

As good as the OHMSS theme tune is, I don't think it sets the right tone for an upcoming F1 race. If they used that I'd be expecting Jake & Eddie to come on screen wearing a robe, cravate & slippers.

I'm all for Legard getting the boot, but DC is pretty useless IMO. He still seems to tied in to F1 (Red-Bull) too much and just never says anything that's actually interesting (to me). We get tons of info from Brundle and in just a few practice session this year Chandhok gave me more info than DC did over 2 years.

Should be an improvement though, no doubt the chemistry will be there this time.

Will certainly be interesting to see how it goes. We really have no idea how DC will fare in the box until we see it for ourselves - he may well thrive - who knows. I hope his favour of Red Bull isnt too apparent in commentary, I really despise commentators who have a blatant bias for one team/individual (even if it is the one I support).

Also, I back up Interludes' comments on the Australian anchors - absolutely clueless. However, I have found that the only thing worse than hearing non stop about "Australia's Mark Webber" is getting "Queanbeyan's Mark Webber" on our local news all of the time (he grew up in a crappy little town very close to where i live).

I don't think this is going to end well. No matter who the BBC put alongside Martin Brundle, the fans will hate them. When it was James Allen, he was lampooned for talking too loudly and too often. With Legard it was because he was not knowledgeable enough. And in the case of Coulthard, people will probably target him for bias.

It clearly wasn't working with Legard, so this can only be good, if only to try out a different idea. Brundle and DC are already good mates so the chemistry should be there from day 1.
We will all have to cut DC some slack of course for the first half of the season as he has never commentated before, just like Brundle in 97 (not full time at least - he did do some races with Murray before).

If DC doesn't work, Chandhok would make a great recent driver replacement, but I'm not sure Karun is interested in giving up his motorsports career just yet. Croft and Davidson shouldn't be moved, they work fine on radio.

Considering who Brundle is, alternatively, the BBC should consider an ex-engineer, mechanic, designer or team boss too. Speed had Steve Machett (Benetton engineer/mechanic) and I believe in Ireland they had Gary Anderson (designer) at one point? Might make a different angle to the coverage.
At the very least, they should consider hiring a new pundit to put alongside DC and EJ in the area of car design. Mike Gascoyne was excellent at China 2009, so someone of a similar standing would be great for explaining new regulations or controversial wings etc. (That said, Ted Kravitz does do a great job of this too, and Gascoyne seems happy to help the Beeb in those short clips).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a refreshing change of commentary, hopefully DC avoids being too dry and follows Brundle's lead...and I trust Brundle to be quite good at conveying enthusiasm, he has been before.
At the very least, we won't have idiotic comments like "A wing's a wing". And I can't really imagine Brundle doing Legard's amillionwordsasecondohlooktheresVettelWebberdowntheinsideoverthehillKubicaHamiltonthatsnotwhathewanted.

Its a shame we can no longer play this game though :lol:
legard-bingo.png

Was quite surprised to see this on the BBC website yesterday. I thought Legard/Brundle was a bit frosty and I stated a while ago that Legard is like was like some Horse racing commentator in his first few races on TV. To see Legard go wasn't surprising but pairing up DC and Brundle is like 2 co-commentators and DC doesn't strike me as the type see this through properly. Brundle is a professional presenter for a long time but DC seems to be quite young and may get bored.

I love Brundle for what he does so I hope he doesn't try to be a Murray Walker. We're used to the main commenter being an ordinary fan, very enthusiastic and in awe like Murray, John Mottson. In football and many other sports they usually have a ex footballer ex pro as co commenter or non at all. I think Brundle and DC can work though, they seem to respect each other and seem good friends. If you can't find a Murray Walker then there's no point putting up the like of James Allen, Legard who don't have the natural personality, its just cringe worthy stuff. I certainly won't miss all those quips in the picture above and most of all how Legard likes to Punch a hole in the mic saying Jenson Buhhutton

I wonder if Eddie has gone or who they have beside Jake now.

Yeah, there's a problem with that. The 2009 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was broadcast in HD, and I remember having half the screen cut off.

Brundle and DC co-commentating.

The point of having a non-expert commentating is that he/she will ask why certain things in a race are happening that they don't understand. A significant percentage of the people watching will have the same sort of questions. The purpose of the expert co-commentating is to explain these things for everyone else's benefit.

It's possible that two experts who know what's going on will just assume everyone else knows what is going on as well.

One would hope that Brundle has been doing this for long enough that he knows when a layman would ask a question, and can feed the explanation into the commentary without having to be prompted.

Fingers crossed.

No, it was 2009. I remember riding along with Barrichello when half the screen was cut off, meaning I couldn't see the graphics.

I remember that well, hopefully they'll have sorted it out in time for March, can't afford a £400 telly right now. :grumpy:

Bee
I remember that well, hopefully they'll have sorted it out in time for March, can't afford a £400 telly right now. :grumpy:
Neither, but I can always take control of the college common room. They've got a fantastic television in there, but nobody uses it. When I first arrived at the place, I was expecting it to be packed like my old college. Even if it's full, I can freely abuse my mod-like powers to kick everyone out. All the same, I'd like it if my set-top box - I finally got one - could filter it appropriately. As awesome as the television in the common room is, my block of flats is difficult to access this year.

The point of having a non-expert commentating is that he/she will ask why certain things in a race are happening that they don't understand. A significant percentage of the people watching will have the same sort of questions. The purpose of the expert co-commentating is to explain these things for everyone else's benefit.

It's possible that two experts who know what's going on will just assume everyone else knows what is going on as well.

To be fair, Brundle has been doing this recently. Even if Legard hasn't asked.

interludes
And why did you decapitalise everything I wrote in the quote?

Maybe he didn't copy and paste? Could have just used alt+tab or even typed it back from memory?

Anyone checked out HD freeview boxes lately? Still seem a bit pricey and somewhat unreliable.

There's a Phillips PHILIPS DTR5520HD for £60 and HUMAX HD-FOX T2 which allows USB recording but it's £100. Don't want freesat.

Anyone checked out HD freeview boxes lately? Still seem a bit pricey and somewhat unreliable.

There's a Phillips PHILIPS DTR5520HD for £60 and HUMAX HD-FOX T2 which allows USB recording but it's £100. Don't want freesat.

I always said to myself I would sort out HD for my room as soon as it was announced F1 would be using it.

Gone with freesat, just bought the Humax FOXSAT-HD for £119.97 - 3.5% quidco.

+ £40 for someone to plug in the new wire into the sky dish and wire it round the house to my bedroom.

No, it was 2009. I remember riding along with Barrichello when half the screen was cut off, meaning I couldn't see the graphics.

And why did you decapitalise everything I wrote in the quote?

OK my mistake, I just remember hearing the last couple of races of 2010 were being broadcast in HD and in answer to ur second question when i clicked "quote" it just did it automatically, i didn't do it

If i decapitalized all you words then theres something wrong with me, it would be a totally pointless thing to do :P

Back