The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

• Thread starter jammyozzy
  • 400 comments
Apparently the BBC are considering dropping F1, to make savings targeted for 2014...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/11/wimbledon-formula-one-bbc-cuts

Given that they are also considering dropping Wimbledon too (there would be a riot if that happened), my gut feeling is not good on this one. My worst fears for F1 is a move to Sky - ITV would be preferable to that, but ultimately, I can't see how the BBC can hope to hold on to these prestige contracts when their priorities clearly lie elsewhere...

Totally gutted if that happens, Sky will probably be no better than ITV as far as the rediculous bias goes. And no more "Chain" and a return of advert breaks.

I guess I would prefer ITV as long as they kept the great BTCC coverage and brought back the GP2 coverage to go alongside F1 like they used to.

Totally gutted if that happens, Sky will probably be no better than ITV as far as the rediculous bias goes. And no more "Chain" and a return of advert breaks.

I guess I would prefer ITV as long as they kept the great BTCC coverage and brought back the GP2 coverage to go alongside F1 like they used to.
I find it hard to believe Sky would pick it up to go on their Sports channels. There's way too many football games on a weekend for them to devote several hours on a Saturday and a Sunday to it.

Indeed, some are suggesting this is a move by the BBC to get a reduction in fee from Bernie, as its also in his best interests to show F1 to the largest audience, which Sky doesn't have.

I'd be gutted if F1 moved from the BBC, it's by far the best coverage i have seen in my lifetime. A move to sky would mean i could not watch the F1 as i don't have it, and even if i did i don't think sky can match the quality of the BBC coverage.

Hope f1 stays on the bbc... Their coverage has been amazing. Hope they can work things out.

Wish we got BBC

Me too mate. the ONE commentators are average at best, especially the bald one (I think Darryl something?)

If they went pure BBC, then we would see the same revolving group of ads just when things are getting good

And for the record, +1 for the removal of Legard

Apparently this is what you need...

http://www.hideipvpn.com/

I'm now in NZ - but still own a house and pay for a TV licence in the UK - so feel completely justified that I should be allowed to watch a service that I have already paid for... so will be doing just that for the Melbourne GP!!

C.

Word. I really enjoy Bob Varsha's and Steve Matchett's commentary on Speed. David Hobbs is getting kind of old and has to be corrected a bunch though by his colleagues. I know I'm not the only one to notice this.

Word. I really enjoy Bob Varsha's and Steve Matchett's commentary on Speed. David Hobbs is getting kind of old and has to be corrected a bunch though by his colleagues. I know I'm not the only one to notice this.

No, you aren't because I've noticed as well...but it's still pretty awesome listening to the trio commentate on the action. Although I agree that Speed could do without as many commercial breaks but it's eleventy times better than when the coverage shifts over to FOX. :yuck:

Yeah. Hobbs is getting up there in age. I wouldn't mind seeing Buxton brought up to the booth, or even just Varsha and Matchett running the show.

I've thought about the idea of having split screen between commercials and race coverage like how Indycar does it on ABC, and I've actually brought this up on Bob Varsha's official Facebook page. He said it's an option they've considered, but they couldn't.

Speaking of which. I know all the BBC people go to all the races, but do the Speed Channel people go to the races?

Will Buxton annoys me half the time, him and Derek Daly. I can't say exactly why. I just really enjoy Varsha and Matchett. They seem more knowledgeable about the sport than many.

I'm pretty sure they go to the races. I don't see why they would only send someone to be on the grid and in the pits.

Will Buxton annoys me half the time, him and Derek Daly. I can't say exactly why. I just really enjoy Varsha and Matchett. They seem more knowledgeable about the sport than many.

I'm pretty sure they go to the races. I don't see why they would only send someone to be on the grid and in the pits.

Yeah. I always see Will out there, but I never see any of the three commentators out on track before or after the race. Sometimes I get the suspension that they're back at the SPEED Channel studios behind a TV screen just like us.

They're probably in some booth along the main straight. They always know what's going out on track before the world feed shows it or it shows up on timing and scoring.

Hm. Perhaps Peter could come back and rejoin the commentaries or just be an in-addition-to Will.

I have my concerns about having two experts rather than the usual expert and commentator, especially as Coulthard is not the most exciting of people. That said Brundle is a very good commentator and has sufficient experience, I'm sure he can fill the commentator role well. It could potentially be a very good pairing, I am going to reserve my judgement for later.

Coulthard seemed ok when he chipped in during races in 2010, which is what he will be doing here. Brundle has been around commentary long enough to know what to do.
I'm willing to see how it goes.

I'm looking forward to it, I did not enjoy Jonathan Legards commentary and this seems like a better combination. Just can't wait for the championship to start

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how it will turn out with both MB and DC but I'm more than happy enough to let them have a go instead of Foghorn Legard. Seriously the whole "a wing is a wing" thing in Abu Dhabi last year was simply embarrassing!

I always liked Legard, i started watching F1 again during the 2009 season after not following it much for years. Though nobody can compare to Murray walker (who was commentating when i had last watched) i always thought Legard did a good job in the 2 seasons since i've started watching again.

With that said the most important part of the remaining team is Martin Brundle who is obviously the favourite of most. Coulthard should be an interesting co-commentator to him though its not the job i would have thought coulthard would be doing, i quite enjoyed him as co-presenter with Jake (who i do find annoying) and Eddie.

If it was my choice we would have Martin and Murray teaming up again, nothing compares. Though i guess Murray is far too old for all that traveling. :(

Regarding DC, Brundle was a not long retired driver when he stepped up to the box in 1997 was it? Look at him now, I hope DC can step up like Brundle did and provide good interesting analisys during the race.

I for one beleive he will and I beleive it will be a great partnership.

DC does at least have some wit, like Brundle did and does. He's a little dull sometimes, but then Brundle wasn't an amazingly charismatic fellow before 1997, most interviews from before then when he was a driver, he sounded pretty downbeat and boring :lol:. Especially on the grid before races! (probably because he was rarely in a fantastic car).

I'm so far impressed with this commentary combination. Both of them are really stepping up to their new roles very well. 👍 Its easy to tune them out if you want, which is how it should be. There are very few moments of utter loud shouting or rediculous mistakes which detract from the experience.

The most important thing is MB and DC have a good chemistry.

Would agree with that Ardius. Really pleased with them.

Brundle has always been pretty good at talking through pole laps and I enjoyed the climax of qualifying, brundle came across very good and didn't overdo it. A more measured main commentator really works.

A few odd moments where I sense Brundle was thinking through how to keep it going but even their debut was brilliant compared to any Legard/Allen commentary. I really like how they react to the action when it happens.

Last edited:
I was a bit unsure with Brundle's into it seemed a little wooden, but they commentary quickly became very natural. I would have to wait for the race, to decide properly, but it seems like it good be a good combination. I think Brundle has been in the commentary long enough to take the role of lead commentator rather than just the expert, in fact he has been proficient in that role for quite some time.

On the subject of DC's commentary he has been much more charismatic than I thought he would but he talks no where near enough and Brundle is having to speak non stop. When DC opens his mouth though he does offer interesting insights into things and doesnt seem to be making any mistakes at all. All in all an improvement so far over Legard.

Robin.

Back