The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

• Thread starter jammyozzy
  • 400 comments
I just hope they don't "do a Top Gear" and give us some modernised version that someone in the BBC thinks sounds "fresh" and "exciting"...

I'm a little disappointed that they are going to use it again - although I have fond memories of it as the "F1 song", it is a bit corny. I'd like to see/hear them use this, from about 1:16 on :D

BBC have also moved "motorsport" above everything but football in the sports news section.

Now cricket I can understand, but Rugby union!

Cool little video by the BBC with some of the greatest moments of F1 according to them. Also take a moment to listen to the tune in the backgroun, dhopefully its not a sign of things to come but it is a techno modern version of the chain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7925005.stm

Thats a horrible version of the chain....it barely resembles it in fact, I'm not even sure it is a version of the chain.
You can't just get rid of the legendary bass line with the drums and guitar coming in.

I have faith they will keep the original Fleetwood Mac version and not doing something like that.

If The Chain is used as the intro, then by jove, Ivory Tower needs to return as the starting grid music! (But I'm not as hopeful.)

I'm excited and I get my F1 coverage from SPEED instead of the BBC. That tells you one of two things really a) BBC getting F1 back has long-reaching influence to many or b) I need a girlfriend. :scared:

Last edited:
Why do I have the feeling I'm going to be shown this line any time I try to go to the bbcs site for F1 coverage...
"Sorry, this media is not available in your territory."

Thats a horrible version of the chain....it barely resembles it in fact, I'm not even sure it is a version of the chain.
You can't just get rid of the legendary bass line with the drums and guitar coming in.

I have faith they will keep the original Fleetwood Mac version and not doing something like that.

The BBC have already confirmed that the original version will be used.

Why do I have the feeling I'm going to be shown this line any time I try to go to the bbcs site for F1 coverage...
"Sorry, this media is not available in your territory."

British Broadcasting Company. ;) You didn't want us, so you don't get the benefits of the BBC and teenage pregnancy.

Yeah, they use a regional coding to prevent anyone from outside the country from accessing it. FOX do it with their programs as well.

Yeah, they use a regional coding to prevent anyone from outside the country from accessing it. FOX do it with their programs as well.

I can kind of see why the BBC does it, aren't they supported by taxes? But Fox shouldn't do that.

Every single F1 broadcaster with Internet-videos has it - must be some sort of FOM requirement.

Broadcasters buy the rights to broadcast material in their region, as far as I understand. So legally they wouldn’t be allowed to post the material and make it available for all users.

That's gotta be the worst picture ever of these guys. Every single one of them looks like mix between a caricature and Half-Life artwork - Jordan and Legard especially.

The "trailer" is up now:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7911126.stm

I kind of like it, but I can see some people hating it..but whatever.

The BBC still beat ITV already just for:
-No James Allen
-No advert breaks
-Nice red button options
-Possibility of HD-broadcast British GP
-Possibility of showing classic GPs, at least in highlight form...if us, the fans, pressure them. ;)
-Using "The Chain" for the theme....instant win.

Edit: I also recommend looking at the driver profiles they have:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/drivers_and_teams/default.stm

Some amusing answers to the BBC's questions! A nice look into the personality of each driver....typical that Raikkonen hasn't answered any questions yet, :lol:

Last edited:
As above when I saw that trailer last week I thought it was shocking. It didn't really make much sense and looked slow.

Boo.

-Possibility of HD-broadcast British GP
-Possibility of showing classic GPs, at least in highlight form...if us, the fans, pressure them. ;)

Wow. I remember an American broadcaster did that over the winter last year. Would love that.

Crap trailer, cars are going 30mph max with fake sounds. Great.

As a bit of fun, I don't think it does much harm seeing as its only reminding people F1 starts soon.

Wow. I remember an American broadcaster did that over the winter last year. Would love that.

Apparently ITV had the option of showing the past 10 years of F1 races in full on ITV4 or something but they never used it. I hope the BBC make use of this little part of the license.

I also hope they manage to get HD cameras down to Silverstone, at least if the FOM won't pressure other TV companies into doing the same, the Beeb can take the lead.

Cool little video by the BBC with some of the greatest moments of F1 according to them. Also take a moment to listen to the tune in the backgroun, dhopefully its not a sign of things to come but it is a techno modern version of the chain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7925005.stm

That 'techno' riff is borrowed from borrowed from a british hiphop act sway. Instrumental version of course :P

I guess we know that its not this tune that's going to be in use now, but I love supplying useful information a few days after its usefulness has expired. :indiff:

I also hope they manage to get HD cameras down to Silverstone, at least if the FOM won't pressure other TV companies into doing the same, the Beeb can take the lead.

All video-feeds, everywhere, are now managed by the FOM - and they don't supply HD-feeds. BBC, RTL and the rest all get it supplied, nothing they can do about it.

All video-feeds, everywhere, are now managed by the FOM - and they don't supply HD-feeds. BBC, RTL and the rest all get it supplied, nothing they can do about it.

Ah, ok, I thought it was up to the local TV companies to sort out, seeing as the Japanese Grand Prix has noticably reduced quality picture because of the different region coding or something like that.

Just imagine what it would be like if ...

A) ITV and James Allen were still commentating.
B) McLaren had the pace they seem to be lacking.
C) Every race came down to Button vs. Hamilton.

Back