• Thread starter Pete05
  • 130 comments
Susten Pass, Central Swiss Alps

image.jpg

http://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/details.php?route_ID=9011

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few from my locality:

Hatcher Pass East (as seen in its own suggestion thread)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6299125

Real name: Fishhook-Willow Road/Hatcher Pass Road/Gold Cord Road
Length: 9.36 miles
Difficulty: 8/10
Default direction: Uphill/northbound
Reverse access: turnaround at top, come over top of pass on dirt road

With narrow, incredibly bumpy pavement (Alaska can't into good roads), several deceptively tight corners, many cliffsides lacking any sort of guardrail or fence, and runoff area nowhere to be found, this is a road on which you are taking your life in your hands. I haven't had many problems with dirt and gravel getting tracked onto the road surface, but that's a small comfort as you still have to look out of bad hops that could throw a stiffly-suspended car sideways or even off a cliff.

Lazy Mountain

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6299135

Length: 2.45 miles
Default direction: Eastbound
Reverse access: turnaround at end

This is a very short snippet of road, but what a rollercoaster! At the second corner, the road pitches steeply downhill into a gully. From there it crosses a bridge and climbs out the other side, which is the location of the double-apex hairpin thing seen on the map... and boy is that a doozy. The elevation chages are still playing tricks on your mind, and the road may even be banked to the inside (don't remember) to add to the confusion. It is also a very slow corner, and ridiculous amount of dirt and gravel tend to accumulate on the outside edge - enough to get my real-life Sunbird to go sideways at about 35 MPH with just a little braking when coming back the other way (which is downhill on that particular corner). At the end it transitions to some kind of semi-paved surface, then to really nasty dirt - I tried to end it before that point.

Last edited:
A few from my locality:

Hatcher Pass East (as seen in its own suggestion thread)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6299125

Real name: Fishhook-Willow Road/Hatcher Pass Road/Gold Cord Road
Length: 9.36 miles
Default direction: Uphill/northbound
Reverse access: turnaround at top, come over top of pass on dirt road

With narrow, incredibly bumpy pavement (Alaska can't into good roads), several deceptively tight corners, many cliffsides lacking any sort of guardrail or fence, and runoff area nowhere to be found, this is a road on which you are taking your life in your hands. I haven't had many problems with dirt and gravel getting tracked onto the road surface, but that's a small comfort as you still have to look out of bad hops that could throw a stiffly-suspended car sideways or even off a cliff.

Lazy Mountain

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6299135

Length: 2.45 miles
Default direction: Eastbound
Reverse access: turnaround at end

This is a very short snippet of road, but what a rollercoaster! At the second corner, the road pitches steeply downhill into a gully. From there it crosses a bridge and climbs out the other side, which is the location of the double-apex hairpin thing seen on the map... and boy is that a doozy. The elevation chages are still playing tricks on your mind, and the road may even be banked to the inside (don't remember) to add to the confusion. It is also a very slow corner, and ridiculous amount of dirt and gravel tend to accumulate on the outside edge - enough to get my real-life Sunbird to go sideways at about 35 MPH with just a little braking when coming back the other way (which is downhill on that particular corner). At the end it transitions to some kind of semi-paved surface, then to really nasty dirt - I tried to end it before that point.
No like :guilty:
Thanks for the suggestions anyway

These pictures are of The Atlantic Highway in Norway and i know you have already mentioned this road Pete...but it really would be Wicked if PD did this one :cheers:

2014-02-02
images
View attachment 216630View attachment 216627 View attachment 216624 View attachment 216632
images
View attachment 216626 View attachment 216629

And this is what i would like to Drive on it...

View attachment 216649

My Ridox RUF "Blackbird" Replica...;)
Hey Badger,

Thanks for adding the pictures mate. They add so much to the story. It's a lot easier to get your brain around what people are talking about than a map & description. :cheers:

Hey Badger,

Thanks for adding the pictures mate. They add so much to the story. It's a lot easier to get your brain around what people are talking about than a map & description. :cheers:

No Probs mate...its was good fun doing the research and the post....i will look into other places of interest for this thread....cheers mate...👍👍

Hi Pete ! There is a nice road in your neighborhood at Kangaroo Island

View attachment 216794
Thanks for the nomination Chris :cheers:
It looks like it has some nice corners & cambers there.
We'd just have to watch out for the Kangaroos. They have a habit of jumping in front of vehicles of all sizes & have even made it onto the track at Bathurst several times. Sometimes it ends up ok, other times.....poor Skippy :scared:

Simply to many roads I've ridden to be pointing out a best or my favourite. And all of the good roads I've experienced are in Asia, so there's no telling how many brilliant roads exist on the Earth.

Simply to many roads I've ridden to be pointing out a best or my favourite. And all of the good roads I've experienced are in Asia, so there's no telling how many brilliant roads exist on the Earth.
There's the really well known ones like Col de Turini, personal faves you don't mind making a detour for and then there's the local backroads that only the locals know about.
If you can think of any, feel free to add them to the list.

This seems like a good idea, but you'll have to suggest all these tracks one by one on the Tracks Suggestions forum...

Thanks for the nomination Chris :cheers:
It looks like it has some nice corners & cambers there.
We'd just have to watch out for the Kangaroos. They have a habit of jumping in front of vehicles of all sizes & have even made it onto the track at Bathurst several times. Sometimes it ends up ok, other times.....poor Skippy :scared:

That is sooo funny you mentioned Kangaroos on Bathurst Pete because when i was doing the Bathurst seasonal a few weeks back i was thinking to myself PD have done a good job on the graphics and countryside....i wonder if they added a few Kangaroos to the surrounding fields to make it look authentic...so i had a good look in my replays.....there wasn't...lol :)

This seems like a good idea, but you'll have to suggest all these tracks one by one on the Tracks Suggestions forum...
I was thinking of that before I made this thread but then tracks are somewhere you can do laps & this is all about point to point.

Hami to Kasgar in North-western China. Almost 2'000km of pure highway with some amazing towns and cities en route and some spectacular mountain & desert scenery to boot.

I was there little over a year ago and it was the most epic thing to witness as a road user. No speed limits, very little traffic for the most part and some really incredible sights along the way. If you had a car that could hit 150kph all day long without issue then you could have an amazing ride on this route with only a few occasions in which it would be necessary to reduce speed. (passing by, but not through, small cities). It looks like a pretty straight road from the map but once you're up to speed the direction changes make for some interesting motoring.

Hami to Kasgar in North-western China. Almost 2'000km of pure highway with some amazing towns and cities en route and some spectacular mountain & desert scenery to boot.

I was there little over a year ago and it was the most epic thing to witness as a road user. No speed limits, very little traffic for the most part and some really incredible sights along the way. If you had a car that could hit 150kph all day long without issue then you could have an amazing ride on this route with only a few occasions in which it would be necessary to reduce speed. (passing by, but not through, small cities). It looks like a pretty straight road from the map but once you're up to speed the direction changes make for some interesting motoring.
It sounds like an interesting drive.

If the map is misleading and it doesn't have too many straight sections where you'd be bouncing off the rev-limiter for Km's at a time, then that's the sort of road I'm looking for.
I don't think anyone is looking for the public road version of Special Stage Route 10 no matter how interesting the scenery.
Minutes spent continuously on the rev limiter doesn't really provide a test.

Thanks for the nomination :cheers:

That is sooo funny you mentioned Kangaroos on Bathurst Pete because when i was doing the Bathurst seasonal a few weeks back i was thinking to myself PD have done a good job on the graphics and countryside....i wonder if they added a few Kangaroos to the surrounding fields to make it look authentic...so i had a good look in my replays.....there wasn't...lol :)
There is nobody at Bathurst. No Humans, no Kangaroos oh i forget the one with the checked Flag ;)

This idea is probably not for Gran Turismo m8.

and your idea reminds me of the game "Test Drive Unlimited 2". you should try it, free roam on the beautiful hawaiian island of Oahu, built up in scale 1:1, with all sorts of supercars available. Sure its an arcade game, so the driving physics are a bit dull.

But yeah, not a day goes by without me imagining this kind of game with proper physics. I would never play anything else, ever. A free roam game with proper physics is really a wet dream of mine.

Dartmoor Dash

So, this ended up taking a lot longer than I anticipated, but I thought I'd try to compile something from Google Maps to show you a road I used to drive in my younger years. It's one of many, actually, and I drove them all with that particular bravado reserved for the young and foolish. Fortunately and perhaps surprisingly, I'm still here to tell the tall tales. Anyway, this is just one road that my buddies and I used to take to get to The Best Pub in the World™, the Plume of Feathers. We used to camp out the back, eating and drinking in the pub after spending our days rock climbing on the various Tors. There are other roads on and across the Moor that some may considered more engaging and technical, but this one has a nice flow to it. I'd love to be able to drive it, secure in the knowledge that the road ahead was devoid of traffic and 'bio-obstacles'. Keep your eye out for the ponies and sheep :sly:

It would be very easy to extend this run from Dunsford, in the NE, to Yelverton, in the SW, crossing the entire Moor...

15q1zk1.jpg

Dartmoor Dash

So, this ended up taking a lot longer than I anticipated, but I thought I'd try to compile something from Google Maps to show you a road I used to drive in my younger years. It's one of many, actually, and I drove them all with that particular bravado reserved for the young and foolish. Fortunately and perhaps surprisingly, I'm still here to tell the tall tales. Anyway, this is just one road that my buddies and I used to take to get to The Best Pub in the World™, the Plume of Feathers. We used to camp out the back, eating and drinking in the pub after spending our days rock climbing on the various Tors. There are other roads on and across the Moor that some may considered more engaging and technical, but this one has a nice flow to it. I'd love to be able to drive it, secure in the knowledge that the road ahead was devoid of traffic and 'bio-obstacles'. Keep your eye out for the ponies and sheep :sly:

It would be very easy to extend this run from Dunsford, in the NE, to Yelverton, in the SW, crossing the entire Moor...

15q1zk1.jpg

That's a brilliant effort Cy :bowdown:
Easily the most dedicated post do far. Well done :) 👍
It looks like a cracking drive with a lot of areas where you wouldn't want to make the smallest mistake.
Reminds me of a classic road racing circuit those brave men used before safety became a priority. Drive within the limits or pay a hefty penalty.
Beautiful scenery & the pub looks like a great place to have a few beers :cheers:

That's a brilliant effort Cy :bowdown:
Easily the most dedicated post do far. Well done :) 👍
It looks like a cracking drive with a lot of areas where you wouldn't want to make the smallest mistake.
Reminds me of a classic road racing circuit those brave men used before safety became a priority. Drive within the limits or pay a hefty penalty.
Beautiful scenery & the pub looks like a great place to have a few beers :cheers:
Thank you. As per my previous post, there are many routes in and across Dartmoor that would frankly be terrifying. Some of them feature gradient changes only seen in GT5 course maker tracks :sly: I preferred this route as it shows a variety of road types and conditions particular to the region, the tight, stone walled sections, bridges and the open moors. There's quite a few technical sections that would require precision driving and then there are some nice open sections where you could really get your foot down. It's not dissimilar in places to the Isle of Man TT.

The pub is worth the drive. You've no idea how many times I've huddled around the fire, trying to thaw my bones whilst supping down an ale and scoffing some home cooked food. The contrast between the warmth and comfort of the pub is stark when compared to the bleak landscape it sits in 👍

{Cy}

Back