The Best Point to Point Driver's Roads In The World

• Thread starter Pete05
  • 130 comments
Ah yes, the course maker. When was that coming again :rolleyes:
I had some really enjoyable tracks on GT5 using the course maker. Great elevation changes, cambers of all sorts & lap lengths of great variation. Then you could decide wet or dry.

The road you posted is very much like the Isle of Man TT course & I have to say, the TT course would've been so much better than the new Sierra track recently added. Nothing gets my adrenalin flowing better than a real circuit.

I had a look at the gallery on the pub's website & that just reinforces my thoughts. The fireplace does look very inviting & somewhere I could quite easily loose track of time. I'd love to know how old it is, if you know?

Cheers :cheers:

The Maloja Pass, Switzerland

image.jpg

image.jpg

Elevation: 1815m / 5954ft

The pass is a high mountain pass in the Swiss Alps in the canton of Graubunden, linking the Engadin with the Val Bregaglia and Chiavenna in Italy. It marks the watershed between the Danube and Po basins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maloja_Pass

Last edited:
I think it's a lot easier to model mountain roads and mountain type circuits as opposed to city circuits. I know with City circuits the detail HAS to be 1:1 whereas with mountain roads you can get away with some things.

I think it's a lot easier to model mountain roads and mountain type circuits as opposed to city circuits. I know with City circuits the detail HAS to be 1:1 whereas with mountain roads you can get away with some things.
If somehow we're blessed and this becomes more than an idea, I want these roads to be 100% faithful replicas of the real deal, bumps & all.
Anything less is selling us short & I'd rather they didn't bother.

An excellent thread, it has opened my eyes to see this many spectacular roads around the world.
I have driven most of the Mille Milia and Targa Florio routes and would like to see them in the game.
Those in the Uk might of heard of Hardknot pass in the Lake District, I have done rallies over this and can be the road from hell but is a great piece of tarmac, just have to be careful of sheep.

An excellent thread, it has opened my eyes to see this many spectacular roads around the world.
I have driven most of the Mille Milia and Targa Florio routes and would like to see them in the game.
Those in the Uk might of heard of Hardknot pass in the Lake District, I have done rallies over this and can be the road from hell but is a great piece of tarmac, just have to be careful of sheep.
The roads used in the Mille Miglia & Targa Florio are the ones that make you think twice about holding it flat through that corner up ahead. Better be sure cause the penalties for getting it wrong are life or death :scared:

I'll look into the Hardknot Pass as it certainly sounds worthy of inclusion 👍

Thanks for the input/suggestions. If you can think of anymore, your more than welcome to post :cheers:

Can I please ask you to hit the 'like' button on the original post ;)

http://dragon40.hubpages.com/hub/the-most-amazing-roads-in-the-world/

The link above includes:

• Estrada Da Serra Do Rio Do Rastro in Brazil
  • Estrada De Los Caracoles in Chile
  • Tian Men Shan Road in China
  • Iroha-Zaka Road in Japan
  • Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route in Japan
  • Garganta Del Dades in Morocco
  • Lysebotn Road in Norway
  • Cape Whale Coastal Road in South Africa
  • Oberalp Pass in Switzerland
  • Taroko Gorge Road in Taiwan
  • Bear Creek Road in Los Gatos, California

Some truly amazing stretches of tarmac, most of which I haven't heard off. Thanks to your links I have been looking into these roads, you have opened my eyes to these beautiful roads, keep them coming I am really enjoying them, these are definately needed in a game.

South Africa Highway N7 Namibia to Cape Town

View attachment 447104

What an Awesome road to burn some rubber on and for me i would love to drive a Camaro Z28 '69 on here..how cool would that be...Nice one @Pete05 👍

:cheers:
It certainly looks more interesting than Special Stage Route 11 👍
You might want to change the gearing on your Camaro though. With the standard gearing, if you accelerated away from where the picture was taken, you'd be on the rev limiter & I'd still be able to read the part number on the rear bumper :P :lol:

It certainly looks more interesting than Special Stage Route 11 👍
You might want to change the gearing on your Camaro though. With the standard gearing, if you accelerated away from where the picture was taken, you'd be on the rev limiter & I'd still be able to read the part number on the rear bumper :P :lol:

:lol: Pete that would be about right...it would be like this road trip is taking alot longer than i expected...:lol:

http://dragon40.hubpages.com/hub/the-most-amazing-roads-in-the-world/

The link above includes:

• Estrada Da Serra Do Rio Do Rastro in Brazil
  • Estrada De Los Caracoles in Chile
  • Tian Men Shan Road in China
  • Iroha-Zaka Road in Japan
  • Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route in Japan
  • Garganta Del Dades in Morocco
  • Lysebotn Road in Norway
  • Cape Whale Coastal Road in South Africa
  • Oberalp Pass in Switzerland
  • Taroko Gorge Road in Taiwan
  • Bear Creek Road in Los Gatos, California
Chile in gt series?
Yeeeeeeeeeeees please kaz

I remember a road my grandpa took me over as a kid. Trail Ridge Road. It was high steep and breath taking. So I looked it up. It's a 47 mile road that starts at 8500 feet crests at ~12100 feet and finishes at 8000 feet, only open for a couple of months a year. As in in the winter there upward of 20 feet of snow on it.
Trail_Ridge_Road_-_elevation_profile,_ft_mi.gif

CO_TrailRidge_BeaverMeadow.png

448_IMG_3591_adj.jpg

20150514__15RHATrail_500.jpg

trail-ridge-from-rmnp4.jpg

I remember a road my grandpa took me over as a kid. Trail Ridge Road. It was high steep and breath taking. So I looked it up. It's a 47 mile road that starts at 8500 feet crests at ~12100 feet and finishes at 8000 feet, only open for a couple of months a year. As in in the winter there upward of 20 feet of snow on it.
Trail_Ridge_Road_-_elevation_profile,_ft_mi.gif

CO_TrailRidge_BeaverMeadow.png

448_IMG_3591_adj.jpg

20150514__15RHATrail_500.jpg

trail-ridge-from-rmnp4.jpg
That's a cracking suggestion my friend. Love the detailed maps :bowdown:
That sort of thing really helps you get an idea of exactly what the road offers.

Any road in Tassie, take your pick.

Edit: The ridiculous amount of amazing driving roads here is literally the only reason I live here.
I can fully understand what you're saying Aussie brother
I lived down there for just over a year halfway between Launie & Devie in Frankford. On a free day a 'relaxing drive' was always on the cards if I had the money for my rather thirsty VK.
PD, or someone else totally dedicated, could do a whole lot worse than making an entire game centred around Targa Tasmania. One of the stages, a C road between Frankford & Beaconsfield was 2 minutes away.
Anyone considering a driving holiday, look up Tasmania

I can fully understand what you're saying Aussie brother
I lived down there for just over a year halfway between Launie & Devie in Frankford. On a free day a 'relaxing drive' was always on the cards if I had the money for my rather thirsty VK.
PD, or someone else totally dedicated, could do a whole lot worse than making an entire game centred around Targa Tasmania. One of the stages, a C road between Frankford & Beaconsfield was 2 minutes away.
Anyone considering a driving holiday, look up Tasmania

There was a game being developed for the Xbox 360 back in the day by an Aussie start up dev, but it never got finished. Dunno what ever came of it, but yeah that's a nice idea mate.

I noticed the map on The Crew isn't far off the size of Tassie, so we're now at the level where a game could legitimately have the entire island mapped out for free roaming. I've lived here all my life, and I still haven't driven all of the great roads. Targa Tas doesn't even touch most of them.

We also have a seemingly infinite amount of ridiculous gravel roads due to our forestry history. I have a few mates who live out bush with Forestry roads out the back, and those gravel roads are every bit as good as anything you'll see in WRC.

I've come close to moving to melb many times mate, I've got some family, and a lot of friends over there, but I just can't bring myself to leave this place. It all comes back to my obsession with cars and motorsport, and I love being so close to so many great roads.

Edit: Here's the one and only WIP photo of that Targa game that never got finished:

26501_369788323584_6988942_n.jpg

Last edited:
There was a game being developed for the Xbox 360 back in the day by an Aussie start up dev, but it never got finished. Dunno what ever came of it, but yeah that's a nice idea mate.

I noticed the map on The Crew isn't far off the size of Tassie, so we're now at the level where a game could legitimately have the entire island mapped out for free roaming. I've lived here all my life, and I still haven't driven all of the great roads. Targa Tas doesn't even touch most of them.

We also have a seemingly infinite amount of ridiculous gravel roads due to our forestry history. I have a few mates who live out bush with Forestry roads out the back, and those gravel roads are every bit as good as anything you'll see in WRC.

I've come close to moving to melb many times mate, I've got some family, and a lot of friends over there, but I just can't bring myself to leave this place. It all comes back to my obsession with cars and motorsport, and I love being so close to so many great roads.

Edit: Here's the one and only WIP photo of that Targa game that never got finished:

26501_369788323584_6988942_n.jpg
Never managed to drive many of the gravel roads while I was down there. My VK was a Group 3 replica with a lumpy cam and definitely not set up for the loose stuff.
I did a day trip with my Bro to the pub at Liawenee (not sure of the spelling) near the Great Lake via Deloraine & that involved a fast, open gravel road with 100km/h open sweepers. The VK was walking about all over the place!

Do yourself a favor & stay in Tassie. By all means jump on the ferry for a holiday in Melbourne but prepare yourself for the traffic. It's absolute madness compared to the laid back feeling over your way. Traffic lights & speed cameras as far as the eye can see.
The only thing I don't miss is the suicidal wildlife at night. I ripped the front spoiler of the VK 100m from my driveway on the Frankford Hwy thanks to a furry little critter that rolled the dice one night & that cost me just under $1k to fix.
I hope to get down there for a driving holiday & treat the eyes for 7-10 days sometime in the future.

Never managed to drive many of the gravel roads while I was down there. My VK was a Group 3 replica with a lumpy cam and definitely not set up for the loose stuff.
I did a day trip with my Bro to the pub at Liawenee (not sure of the spelling) near the Great Lake via Deloraine & that involved a fast, open gravel road with 100km/h open sweepers. The VK was walking about all over the place!

Do yourself a favor & stay in Tassie. By all means jump on the ferry for a holiday in Melbourne but prepare yourself for the traffic. It's absolute madness compared to the laid back feeling over your way. Traffic lights & speed cameras as far as the eye can see.
The only thing I don't miss is the suicidal wildlife at night. I ripped the front spoiler of the VK 100m from my driveway on the Frankford Hwy thanks to a furry little critter that rolled the dice one night & that cost me just under $1k to fix.
I hope to get down there for a driving holiday & treat the eyes for 7-10 days sometime in the future.

Yeah I've been in Melbs heaps of times, it's a cool city to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there. At least not for too long. I know what you mean about the wildlife, after dark driving is a nerve wracking experience in anything with an expensive or particularly low front end.

Well done BG 👍 That looks like a great drive although with a few wineries along the path, it may take a few days to complete so let's hope it's got a few B&B's as well.
It's also good for motorcycle's too.

It's also good for motorcycle's too.
Sorry but I don't work well with less than four wheels :yuck:
Greatest respect to motorbike riders (it takes a special kind of insanity to want to ride one) but unless I'm pedaling, I'm like a duck out of water :dunce:

Sorry but I don't work well with less than four wheels :yuck:
Greatest respect to motorbike riders (it takes a special kind of insanity to want to ride one) but unless I'm pedaling, I'm like a duck out of water :dunce:
Yes me too. I would love to ride one but around The Motor City people drive too crazy and it's :scared:

Back