The biking thread

I'm thinking the difference going from 28 to 25 will be much bigger compared to going from 25 to 23.
I'd say you're going to notice a huge difference, but even with roads not smooth I think 25s should still be reasonably comfortable.
Just don't go to 22s :dopey:

Today's groupride:
Distance: 85km
Duration: 2h47m.
Avg. speed: 30,5 km/h.

We rode varying terrain, so a lot of small short climbs here and there. We rode up the Thier D'Amry, which is a short climb. 300m, 11% avg. gradient, 18,9% max gradient.

The recordholder on Strava did this in 39s at 30 km/h! That has to be close to a 1000W!

If this thing could talk it probably would ask why an XC rocket from the sunny California is hanging around in a boreal forest near the Arctic Circle halfway around the world.

stumpjumper230617.jpg

If this thing could talk it probably would ask why an XC rocket from the sunny California is hanging around in a boreal forest near the Arctic Circle halfway around the world.

stumpjumper230617.jpg

Because it's doing what it was born to do.

What size is that crank ring? It's tiny!

What size is that crank ring? It's tiny!

34T, quite normal by today's standards as XC bikes off the showroom floor seem to be rocking anything between 30T and 36T while trail bikes go as low as 28T... which sounds crazy to me. Even more so when you consider that they have those new age super-hyper-mega-ultra-wide range cassettes, I have a 11-28 from the road bike part bin. The original configuration was 36/22 in the front and 11-36 in the rear, I've now rebuilt the entire drivetrain twice and ended up with a completely different set.

Last edited:
Bike has gone in for a service; new bb bearings and tyres (tyres yet to be chosen) and I'm looking forward to a hefty bill at the end.
Since it's going on a credit card I might opt for a new saddle and some shoes, but that's still to be negotiated with the missus.

Sagan banned from the Tour de France after he nudged Cavendish into the barriers during the final sprint and causes him to break his shoulder. 2 giants gone in one day. The second day this happens after losing Valverde and Izagirre on the first day.

Sagan banned from the Tour de France after he nudged Cavendish into the barriers during the final sprint and causes him to break his shoulder. 2 giants gone in one day. The second day this happens after losing Valverde and Izagirre on the first day.

From the footage I saw it looked like Sagan was a bit heavy with his elbow, even if it was an accident he should have been more aware.

I feel for Valverde I was in the pub watching it and a collective "ouch" rang out around the place. Talk about a face-braking.

From the footage I saw it looked like Sagan was a bit heavy with his elbow, even if it was an accident he should have been more aware.

And that's why he is out. He used the elbow. Even it was just a small nudge, when you're doing 70kmh on a bicycle you don't do that.

I've got friends arguing Sagan is not at fault and that Cavendish was already falling over just a moment before his elbow came out. I haven't watched the incident but I was shown a set of still that brings it to around a 50/50 at fault/not. I'll see if I can find them after work.

And that's why he is out. He used the elbow. Even it was just a small nudge, when you're doing 70kmh on a bicycle you don't do that.

Cav's left brake hood hooked the underside of Sagan's right arm, and pulling it outward.. The replays and pictures need to be looked at carefully before you can really see what happened.. First contact was when Cav started to fall to the left and into Peter.. he literally caromed off Peter and then into the barrier, hooking Pete's arm as he went.. Not to mention he was going for a hole that wasn't there..the consensus on that is unanimous.. UCI appears to have not even looked at it carefully.. Very poor decision on their behalf..

Sagan was "disqualified" from the rest of this years tour.. Not banned...

Word on the street is that UCI needs to be replaced, and this has been a major talking point for several years now..
Most team owners know this whether they have the balls to say it or not.. And the business end of UCI is an even bigger joke than their race direction..

According to Oleg Tinkoff the UCI is a "non sustainable" business model...and mainly why he pulled out as a team owner.. He's a businessman so he should know.. He's the only one so far to have the minerals to state this publicly on live TV.. Probably why the UCI has a hard on for Peter now..

Last edited:
Cav's left brake hood hooked the underside of Sagan's right arm, and pulling it outward.. The replays and pictures need to be looked at carefully before you can really see what happened.. First contact was when Cav started to fall to the left and into Peter.. he literally caromed off Peter and then into the barrier, hooking Pete's arm as he went.. Not to mention he was going for a hole that wasn't there..the consensus on that is unanimous.. UCI appears to have not even looked at it carefully.. Very poor decision on their behalf..

It seems that you're right. Cavendish was already going down when he was still behind.
I just watched a slomo and it's clear that Sagan really isn't to blame here.

Accidental double post.

It seems to be quite hot in France at the moment, I really hope that it stays like that when the proper mountain stages begin. It's always great to see them show up at the top with a completely grey face. :D

Sorry if my post sounded somewhat abrasive.. It wasn't meant to be. I just so look forward to the TDF each year, and the whole situation really ticked me off.. Good vibes all around on this thread..

Today's ride:

Distance: 153,5 km.
Time: 5h 27m.
Avg speed: 28,2 km/h.

Ran out of water the last hour. In these temperatures that hurts!

Sagan was "disqualified" from the rest of this years tour.. Not banned...

Word on the street is that UCI needs to be replaced, and this has been a major talking point for several years now..o
Most team owners know this whether they have the balls to say it or not.. And the business end of UCI is an even bigger joke than their race direction..

According to Oleg Tinkoff the UCI is a "non sustainable" business model...and mainly why he pulled out as a team owner.. He's a businessman so he should know.. He's the only one so far to have the minerals to state this publicly on live TV.. Probably why the UCI has a hard on for Peter now..
lol, because Oleg is the bastion of all that is good and righteous right? Sagan has had this coming for a while. Plenty of riders a bit peeved with his behaviour in the last moments of stages. As for your assessment of the final moments of the stage, are you for real. Cavendish was pretty much alongside when the incident occurred. The gap was very much there when he went for it, Sagan just decided to close it once he was. And the second elbow was Sagan trying to keep his balance, it was the first little elbow that is very difficult to see that is the bad one. Along with the other numerous elbows Sagan threw 200m earlier. And the main issue with Sagan in this instance is his line. You're supposed to travel in a straight line when you sprint. Sagan very much didn't do that. The only real mistake the jury made was not to demote Demare from the stage for his similar dangerous line in the final sprint.

Somehow I've just twigged that 160km is 100miles aka a century. A regular ride of mine is 156km...I've been neglecting a century for months without realising.

This weekend I'll certainly smash it if I don't ride with my mate (his training program doesn't allow the high mileage I like in one session) and if the legs still feel ok I'll try a 200km. I'm confident of the century, no problems there, but a 200km might be too difficult to fuel for on the route I ride.

Good news for me that Mrs Shem has suggested I get a new bike after we come back from Japan as upgrading my current one wouldn't be worth it. Had a look at a 2015 (brand new) Lapierre Aircode for £200 off the RRP with Ultegra group set and Michelin rubber, so tempted and actually less than I'd budgeted for! They had the FDJ team bike too but I don't think I want team colours.

IMG_0477.PNG

Close enough. Once I rode into my village I couldn't be bothered to do another few km to round it up 200. Luckily there was very little climbing involved. City traffic cost me a lot of time so my average was only around 25kph but I'm still pretty happy with the result.

I don't know how many of you are actively following the Tour, but for me this is one of the best of the last years, so many great stages, so many surprises. And today's stage is another one, with the Col de la Croix de Fer and the Galibier, 2600 meters tall.

I don't know how many of you are actively following the Tour, but for me this is one of the best of the last years, so many great stages, so many surprises. And today's stage is another one, with the Col de la Croix de Fer and the Galibier, 2600 meters tall.

I watch the highlights each morning over breakfast and I'm really enjoying it so far. It won't be long (the next few stages) when the battle truely kicks off. Really mixes things up without Cav, Sagan, Valverde and Porte in the race.

It's also good to see that Froome isn't in his almighty form this Tour. Only downside is that the Sky team is such a well oiled machine. That team is practically unbeatable.

It's also good to see that Froome isn't in his almighty form this Tour. Only downside is that the Sky team is such a well oiled machine. That team is practically unbeatable.

Not been any need for him to be almighty this year... his team have been able to defend his lead easily enough after Aru briefly took it, and Saturday's ITT favors him over his main rivals.

Landa has been truly outstanding as his main domestique (could probably win the TDF himself)... but when you have Nieve, Kwiatkowski, Henao, Kiyrienka and Thomas as well, the team is pretty much invincible.

There's only tomorrows drag up Izoard left to possibly threaten his celebration cruise in to Paris on Sunday

I've really enjoyed it this year too.. Warren Barguil has been sensational.. I also think Matthews would have the Green in Paris even if all his main rivals had not dropped out.. Just given the nature of this years edition.. I've always liked Peter, but still think Bling is the best "all rounder" right now..

I've really enjoyed it this year too.. Warren Barguil has been sensational.. I also think Matthews would have the Green in Paris even if all his main rivals had not dropped out.. Just given the nature of this years edition.. I've always liked Peter, but still think Bling is the best "all rounder" right now..

Yeah I think he has the makings of a really good one day classics rider if he wanted tunnel his energy that way.

I think the Tour hasn't been any more exiting than previous years.
I think this year's edition is a perfect example of why teams need to be budget-capped. Team Sky has so much money, that they just bought all of the best riders Froome could've wished for. I don't really feel Froome had to work as hard for it as he had to in, say 2013, where he really had to use the mountain stages to leave his competitors behind. All Froome had to do this year was to not crash during the TT's, and just stay with Bardet in the mountains. There has been no need for him to attack.

A perfect example of Froome still being world-class is during the climb to Izouard, where he was fed up with Landa's antics, and decided to take matters into his own hands. That jump he made then is a jump I've not seen from Bardet, Aru, or Uran this tour. I still think he is the ultimate cyclist.

What I do appreciate is cyclists such as Barguil, Landa, and De Gendt. I missed mountain goats such as Andy Schleck back in the day, and Barguil kind of gave me some flashbacks to that time. Cycling needs more of these guys to spicen things up a bit. Landa has been incredible. And Thomas De Gendt has been in the breakaways for 12 stages this tour. Just take a moment to think about the physical and mental strength it takes to take part in that many breakaways.

Quintana was an utter disappointment. I do not believe him to ever become a GC contender. He has never been, and will never be, on the level necessary to fight for the overall victory in the tour. I'm even willing to bet Valverde would've left him standing in the mountain stages.

I'm not sure I'd say that this tour has been any less enjoyable than previous but contention for yellow has been a bit bland. Froome had only to sit on and put in an effort from time to time.

Some of the solo victories have been monumental ride that really show how strong some of these non-GC guys are.

@Bram Turismo, I agree about Quintana being a let down, for somebody hyped so highly before the tour he rarely made any of the footage in the highlights I watch confirming how unremarkable his performance was. Contador also disappointed me a bit, I was expecting more from the guy knowing what he's capable of (think the Mortirolo ride in 2015's Giro).

What a great ending to a not too shabby Tour!

Quintana was pooped because he already did the Giro. You can't do that. And Contador is done for. He isn't the same man he once was, and him kissing the tarmac several times didn't help either.

Finally beat my highest month that i set in 2015 by 26 miles(358 now), and even gotten 3 strava KOMs(although two of them were on a street that was literally finished being paved this month:P). Goal for August is to put out a couple of centuries.

Back