The biking thread

Oh, the disappointment.

Rode to my inlaws in the next province, a fair 70 something km with 1km of climbing in a chunk under 4 hours, polished off some calories and a few beers and applied some after sun (burnt legs) ready for the return trip only to be told we're staying the night because it's Mother's Day here.

I almost had a sag wagon to pass me water too but the missus, who planned to leave several hours after me and catch me up locked the keys in the house and had to wait on a locksmith so I got here hours before her and then got the bad news.

Still, on the bright side, I can smash a few more beers and get a massage to be in good shape for the ride home tomorrow. Only down side is that it puts my daily total at a pretty meagre distance and 1km of climbs instead of 2, and I was really hoping to crack the Strava 'grand fondo' challenge today as 100km is a piece of cake, and I'd have made 100 miles on a full round trip.

Oh well.

I had a touch of good news today.

Went down to Decathlon (I've been eyeing their range) and saw that they didn't have the bike I want (Triban 540) in stock so I ordered it. Due to recent price change it's gone from 33k to 22k in the last week.

For the price there is nothing better on the market; ally frame, carbon fork, Mavie rims, full 105 all round and lifetime warranty. :D
They have an 'ultra' which is one of the top end bikes but other than internal cable routing and a more aero look it's not worth double (39k) what I'm paying, especially since it has the same group set and Shimano RS rims.

With the money saved from the original price I can grab a set of GP 4s, a nice saddle and a proper bike fit. So stoked.

It's not mine yet but I'm counting the days.

btwin-road-bikes-44_0.jpg

There's a few videos floating around of the Indian Pacific Wheel Race that I discussed previously in this thread.

This is probably one of the better ones and worth a look if you have the spare time. Such a shame it ended under tragic circumstances.

I remember now after just watching it again how much the wind got up when the leaders rode through my town and when I rode with Sa

I've seen a few Indipac documentaries and all of them have been good. Really sad about Mike Hall but his legacy (TCR) lives on.

Anyone following the Vuelta? Whoever came up with this year route needs a statue.

The most ridiculous climbs I have ever seen. 18-20% inclines. :lol:

Guardia Civil running along with the riders to keep the fans in check.

I'm currently in a place called Pai after 130km and 2200m^ yesterday. It's bloody raining and I need to ride home. :grumpy:

I did this same ride a couple of weeks back but I only did the ride here, not both ways. Coming in to the town is a lovely 20km hairpined road descent with 11% gradient. I now have to ride up it to get home. It's going to hurt.

L'angliru is a beast. Contador has taken the stage there before.

Apparently (so I've just been told) he won the stage there this time round. [SPOILER\]

I made a goal plan after last weekends trip through the mountains. These are milestones on my way to an Everest attempt. I expect it'll be months in completing each goal but I ticked off the first one today and a few of the others are doable at my current fitness level, a few are seriously hard and I'll need some more training to reach them.

IMG_0746.PNG

I won't necessarily be doing them in order, just when time permits. I probably could have made a third attempt at my local mountain today (Bhubing palace climb) but the weather was atrocious and visibility and grip were minimal, although I could have made the climb a third time, my brakes wouldn't have made the descent (worn within an inch of their life).

Also happy I made a PB over the first 11km (of 16) of the climb which is the local benchmark. Most people don't ride beyond that point.

I'm currently in the process of making my bike road worthy and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I just want to ask what I should have with me at all times for repair and just general things I should keep on the bike? Basically, what would you recommend me to get or at least try and see how I like it that I should get?

I already have reflectors and a water bottle holder, and I plan on getting a bag or two for the bike, mainly to put things in to keep from losing them while on the ride should they fall out of my pocket and I not know it. I also plan on getting a pump to mount on the frame as well as a phone mount for on the handle bars. I also want a tool kit and tire repair kit.

The bike itself is just a normal old mountain bike, nothing too fancy. The idea is to use it on the road as a backup should I ever need it, but of course I want it to be ready for trail riding as well.

I'm currently in the process of making my bike road worthy and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I just want to ask what I should have with me at all times for repair and just general things I should keep on the bike? Basically, what would you recommend me to get or at least try and see how I like it that I should get?

I already have reflectors and a water bottle holder, and I plan on getting a bag or two for the bike, mainly to put things in to keep from losing them while on the ride should they fall out of my pocket and I not know it. I also plan on getting a pump to mount on the frame as well as a phone mount for on the handle bars. I also want a tool kit and tire repair kit.

The bike itself is just a normal old mountain bike, nothing too fancy. The idea is to use it on the road as a backup should I ever need it, but of course I want it to be ready for trail riding as well.

As a guide, I have in my saddle bag: spare tube, small pocket/ micro pump, bike multitool (without chain breaker), 2 plastic tyre levers and some spare cash in a small ziplock bag. I also carry a Presta/ Schrada valve converter but I wouldn't expect you'd need one of those. That all fits nicely onto my seat post under my saddle.

As for other personal items (phone, snacks, keys, lip balm, etc...) I just stick them in the jersey pockets.

Basically this is what I use:

Frame bag mounted as a saddle bag on the seat post:
300-bike-frame-bag.jpg

Tube

Tyre levers (not always necessary, depends on the tyres)
park_tool_levers.jpg

Small pump (not the smallest which is why I use a frame bag instead of a proper saddle bag)
giant_69035_10_08_m.jpg

And a multitool.
thumbnail.asp

That's all you should need.

Most of that stuff I have already in some way, or if not already I know exactly where to find it. I actually just got done installing a pump on my bike after checking to make sure it still worked. I guess I won't have to spend that much after all. :lol:

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Weather permitting I’m going to attempt to climb Mt. Fuji tomorrow on a rental bike. I have no kit (only Levi’s and Dr Martans)
and the only rentals I’ve seen are single speeds. Apparently it averages 9% so it’ll be killer but my fitness is at a pretty good level.

I might only have this one opportunity so I have to try.

Posted in the Latest Purchase thread but here’s the run down.

7C547042-1300-4983-B635-B8F6C5B0277A.jpeg
6D0D5167-370F-4D1C-BDFD-D2C13863134D.jpeg

(Excuse the chain and crank being in the wrong position, pedals were only fitted so I could ride it home, I’ll fit new ones tomorrow)

Saw a Fuji Cross CX bike online that I went into the shop to buy, while there I saw this Trek Emonde and it was only the price of a set of GP4 tyres more; the tyres I would have fitted to the Fuji. Old bloke (who I’ve seen on the local mountain) had put less than 500km on it from new.

So I test rode it and it’s pretty much the exact size as my current Giant road bike. It has all the upgrades I would have made - 11-34 on the rear and 28c rubber. The rims are Shimano RS, not the original Bontrangers but I can live with that. Aluminium frame and carbon fork, Continental all season tyres, Shimano 105 all round.

I’m not super keen on the white saddle and tape but I think it’ll put my old saddle on it (black Giant saddle) and retape the bars black. Not much I can do about the white rims right now as I maxed out the credit card.

It’s name is Jason as it found me (this bike was destined to be mine) on Friday the 13th. I’ll go out for a spin later to get all the adjustments tweaked for a perfect fit.

Super stoked right now.

Awesome Shem, and oh the Edmonda is a perfect fit for your type of riding (I take note of Strava) as it's Trek's climbing bike.

Nice one mate, 👍

Awesome Shem, and oh the Edmonda is a perfect fit for your type of riding (I take note of Strava) as it's Trek's climbing bike.

Nice one mate, 👍

Cheers. It is indeed perfect for the terrain here, I’m taking it up the local mountain tomorrow for some practise for an Everest attempt.

8.4kg according to the shop.

A quick technical question: is it possible to ride a bicycle so hard that the front fork expands enough to make the front wheel loose?

I just discovered that the front wheel of my bicycle is so loose that it rubs on my brakes, even when I tighten the front wheel axle really damn hard there is so much space left that the wheel wobbles a lot.
The wheel itself, and the bearings are fine, its just that the distance between the fork has increased. Also the entire front handlebar assembly is really loose in the frame despite the screws being properly tightened.

The bike is a Scott Sporter. Its 7 years old, I only ride on streets but sometimes they are quite bumpy and I'm going fast (100kmh), plus I weigh 110kg. Forces great enough to damage the frame over time? :guilty:

That's one race ready looking Trek! The first aluminium Emonda I've ever seen, I didn't even know that there were such versions of it, always thought that it's a full carbon model. Not that you really notice the difference but your wallet certainly does.

On the other side of the spectrum, I'm selling my cyclocross bike. I can't say that it served me well, it didn't but that's not a fault of the bike, there's nothing wrong with it per se, it just doesn't fit my needs at all. I'm too much of a MTB rider to be able to see the greatness in sitting in an uncomfortably cramped position with low visibility and a harsh ride to gain a km/h or two over a good XC bike. It'll get a good home with someone else than me.

A quick technical question: is it possible to ride a bicycle so hard that the front fork expands enough to make the front wheel loose?

I just discovered that the front wheel of my bicycle is so loose that it rubs on my brakes, even when I tighten the front wheel axle really damn hard there is so much space left that the wheel wobbles a lot.
The wheel itself, and the bearings are fine, its just that the distance between the fork has increased. Also the entire front handlebar assembly is really loose in the frame despite the screws being properly tightened.

The bike is a Scott Sporter. Its 7 years old, I only ride on streets but sometimes they are quite bumpy and I'm going fast (100kmh), plus I weigh 110kg. Forces great enough to damage the frame over time? :guilty:

My first thought would have been bearings but if you say they are fine then I’m stumped.

I don’t thing you’re weight and speed would be an issue, most quality bikes are designed to cope with that.

If you really can’t find a solution I’d advise taking it in to your local shop for an inspection.

Hello all!

I've recently decided that I am in the market for a bike, specifically a road bike, fairly enduro geometry, carbon frame and disks. Something I can build fitness and stamina on but can also use once I am up to speed. I come from a mtb background but that was yeeeaars ago. (GT Avalanche and a Specialized Bighit)

The two I have had a closer look at so far are the BMC Roadmachine and the Trek Domane. While the BMC is usually considerably more expensive, a local dealer is knocking a cheeky 1k off at the moment. Both rather basic gear, looking at 105 sets. I rode the Roadmachine (size 56) and was impressed. Myself being around the 6'2 mark, but being all leg and short torso, I'd figure the 58 might be a best bet as the dealer said geometry can be identical on two different sized depending on what else is fitted and I could probably grow into it as I got more flexible and my reached changed.

I haven't ridden the Domane yet but it looks good, but from the outset there was a serious level of want for the BMC, if nothing else, for my penchant for a good bit of design.

Has anyone got any opinions on either of these two frames?

Hey @Boffin somehow missed the notification for this.

Frame wise either of those will be perfect, to be honest once you are in that price range it's pretty hard to buy a bad bike.
Normally horrid advice but buy with your heart and what you like the look of, you're much more likely to ride the bike if you like the look of it when you see it everyday.

A couple of others in enduro style to look at are the Focus Cayo and Specialized Roubaix.

Groupset wise absolutely nothing wrong with 105, it's considered Shimano's workhorse for good reason it just keeps working. Go up a level or two and you are mainly paying for weight loss in the group.

I heard around the traps you may be in Melbourne now, if that's correct let us know what you are looking to spend and I can have a look around also.
A good place to start is Port Melbourne Cycles (PMC) they normally have some pretty good bargains going. 👍

Shaun.

Hey @Boffin somehow missed the notification for this.

Frame wise either of those will be perfect, to be honest once you are in that price range it's pretty hard to buy a bad bike.
Normally horrid advice but buy with your heart and what you like the look of, you're much more likely to ride the bike if you like the look of it when you see it everyday.

A couple of others in enduro style to look at are the Focus Cayo and Specialized Roubaix.

Groupset wise absolutely nothing wrong with 105, it's considered Shimano's workhorse for good reason it just keeps working. Go up a level or two and you are mainly paying for weight loss in the group.

I heard around the traps you may be in Melbourne now, if that's correct let us know what you are looking to spend and I can have a look around also.
A good place to start is Port Melbourne Cycles (PMC) they normally have some pretty good bargains going. 👍

Shaun.

Thanks very much for that!

I indeed went with my heart and settled on the Roadmachine. Any shortfalls it has under the Trek are sort of phased out by the fact it's so damn gorgeous and I'll find myself wanting to ride it more.

Ordered a 58 frame, apparently they have next to none available ready for the new release early next year. It'll be built and ready for fitting/pickup on the weekend. :D

(not mine)
bmc-roadmachine-01-1491578895686-1eki2g59tmwnn-630-354.jpg

And yes, I'm in Melbourne. You'll find me huffing and puffing around Albert Park late nights trying to build stamina, before heading into the hills when I also head out in the Clio on weekends 👍

Thanks very much for that!

I indeed went with my heart and settled on the Roadmachine. Any shortfalls it has under the Trek are sort of phased out by the fact it's so damn gorgeous and I'll find myself wanting to ride it more.

Ordered a 58 frame, apparently they have next to none available ready for the new release early next year. It'll be built and ready for fitting/pickup on the weekend. :D

(not mine)
bmc-roadmachine-01-1491578895686-1eki2g59tmwnn-630-354.jpg

And yes, I'm in Melbourne. You'll find me huffing and puffing around Albert Park late nights trying to build stamina, before heading into the hills when I also head out in the Clio on weekends 👍

Sweet ride, mate. That truly is a beautiful machine. I don’t think you’ll go wrong on that, top notch quality. Which rims did it come with?

Sweet ride, mate. That truly is a beautiful machine. I don’t think you’ll go wrong on that, top notch quality. Which rims did it come with?

Thanks mate! Picked it up today, taking time getting the fitness back and getting used to cleats but geez its a good looking thing!

Wheels are Novatec 30SLs 👍

Out for a big day tomorrow to tick a conquest of the list, discovered while doing some fine tuning that prettt much everything made by Bontranger works on a 5mm Allen key.

See ya later multi tool.

It’s still 180km, the first 80km of which is several thousand metres of elevation, but the last 100 is flat.

Managed to get the wife to agree to lunch after the mountains and meeting me at the end. What a great way to spend a 1st wedding anniversary. ;)

Might need a massage before I even consider riding it back the next day.

Edit: “See ya later multi tool.“

Famous last words... just cleared the first 80km of mountains and my cleat has come unbolted. Guess what? It’s not a 5mm. :( Looks like a 4, which it seems I’ll be hunting for instead of having lunch.

Last edited:
Time has come to ride an Everest. It’s been my intention for the past year and Tuesday I have a day off so together with a colleague we’re going for it.

I’m not as ready as I wanted to be having not ticked off all of my training goals but I don’t think I’ll ever be ready.

Main concerns: after riding the local mountain today I see they’ve started road works and resurfacing. Bloody great :rolleyes: . It’s also a 3am start and my front light isn’t great so it’s gonna be scary descending in the dark.

We calculate 15 reps of our local climb @7.5% average and 11km will take us into the 300km territory and including breaks could see us riding towards 20 hours of saddle time.

Mate’s got the Garmin ready as it’s more accurate than GPS via Strava.

My saddle is on its last legs so that could be interesting and it’s a public holiday so traffic might cause some hold ups at peak times.

I’m aiming to pull it off first time and don’t want to think negatively but if it doesn’t happen Tuesday for whatever reason I’ll keep going until I’ve done it.

Making pin-on race* numbers at work tomorrow so we can get some support from the local clubs.

*not for actual racing but just 8848 on a pin-on.

The time has come (ie summer) for some new tyres.
Decided this time to go completely different and everyone I speak to says these are the ducks guts, the internet agrees mostly.
Me thinks they look great and I can't wait to give them a test run tomorrow.

Vittoria Corsa G+.

bike.jpg

Back