The BMW M2 is Dead: Long Live the M2 Competition

Seats looks great, but one of the best things about the M2 was that it didn't have the S55 engine... Hopefully this will drive down regular M2 prices at least!

The world's motoring journalists have a new figure of worship. And presumably they'll pilgrimage to a hired-out race track in Spain.

Looks great, but I worry that they're taking the M2 in more of a muscle car direction than a sports car direction, just like they've done with most of the other M cars.

Seats looks great, but one of the best things about the M2 was that it didn't have the S55 engine... Hopefully this will drive down regular M2 prices at least!

Looks great, but I worry that they're taking the M2 in more of a muscle car direction than a sports car direction, just like they've done with most of the other M cars.

I agree with both points. I think one could make a reasonable argument that the N55 engine in the current M2 both sounds a bit better and suffers from less initial throttle tip-in lag than the S55 in the M3. In a sense, I preferred the M2 over the M3 for this reason. I doubt anybody on this board would ever argue for 'less' power, but sometimes less is more. The current M2 has plenty of power (365 hp) and BMW notoriously underrates the output of their engines. Is the extra 39-hp worth the 120-lbs weight gain, in a car that already tips the scales as a bit portly for it's size? Not to mention the reported 15% drop in fuel economy. Which isn't such a concern considering the car's mission but it becomes a bit of an annoyance due to it's tiny 13.7 gallon fuel tank. With some spirited driving, you're barely going to push past 200 miles before dipping into the reserves.

There have been numerous rumours about an M2 CSL, and this week new spy photo's seem to have emerged that could support that idea...

img_0529-jpg.440005

There is also this comment by BMW M boss...

"At the 2017 Frankfurt Auto Show, BMW CEO Frank van Meel, said that the GTS moniker will be retired the iconic CSL will take its place. “The CSL name will be the most hardcore and track-ready cars in the M lineup. “CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate"

And IP fillings for an M2 CSL nameplate exist.

... so it may be that a sportier version is on its way as well as this more muscular competition version.

I agree with both points. I think one could make a reasonable argument that the N55 engine in the current M2 both sounds a bit better and suffers from less initial throttle tip-in lag than the S55 in the M3. In a sense, I preferred the M2 over the M3 for this reason. I doubt anybody on this board would ever argue for 'less' power, but sometimes less is more. The current M2 has plenty of power (365 hp) and BMW notoriously underrates the output of their engines. Is the extra 39-hp worth the 120-lbs weight gain, in a car that already tips the scales as a bit portly for it's size? Not to mention the reported 15% drop in fuel economy. Which isn't such a concern considering the car's mission but it becomes a bit of an annoyance due to it's tiny 13.7 gallon fuel tank. With some spirited driving, you're barely going to push past 200 miles before dipping into the reserves.
Yeah, I agree that the modest power gains simply aren't worth the inferior economy and added weight. The chassis upgrades do sound good, but I'll be interested to see if they actually end up an improvement over the M2 given that most of that weight gain will be over the front wheels.
There have been numerous rumours about an M2 CSL, and this week new spy photo's seem to have emerged that could support that idea...

img_0529-jpg.440005

There is also this comment by BMW M boss...

"At the 2017 Frankfurt Auto Show, BMW CEO Frank van Meel, said that the GTS moniker will be retired the iconic CSL will take its place. “The CSL name will be the most hardcore and track-ready cars in the M lineup. “CSL [will be] the top-of-the-line track tool, made on the track for the track, just with a number plate"

And IP fillings for an M2 CSL nameplate exist.

... so it may be that a sportier version is on its way as well as this more muscular competition version.
That could be a very good car. It might end up being a bit expensive but I hope they do it properly and make a car focused on handling and involvement rather than lap times and numbers.

Thing is, while I'm bad mouthing this car, I'm probably not the target market (in addition to not having any money...). I'd probably buy a secondhand 981 before I bought an M2 unless I desperately needed the rear seats. So maybe BMW is making the right move and is catering towards people who were always more likely to buy a new BMW over a used sports car with less power but a better chassis. On the other hand, they might be alienating their traditional buyers who bought Bimmers because they used to be true driver's cars. But I don't think they're too worried about that. See also: 2 series active tourer, 3 and 5 series GT models, and the M4's inability to put its massive power down to the road.

...I'd probably buy a secondhand 981 before I bought an M2 unless I desperately needed the rear seats. So maybe BMW is making the right move and is catering towards people who were always more likely to buy a new BMW over a used sports car with less power but a better chassis. On the other hand, they might be alienating their traditional buyers who bought Bimmers because they used to be true driver's cars...

This is a very good point although I think one could definitely cross shop an M2 vs a 981 Porsche Cayman. I for one did. If you look at Car & Driver's 1/11/2016 test of the manual transmission BMW M2 and their 9/17/14 test of the manual Cayman S, it highlights several interesting points.

1. When comparing acceleration of the two cars vs their PDK/DSG variants, despite what the manufacturers claim, the manuals really aren't any slower. At least not from 60 mph on up. (Although to be fair, both cars went through multiple launches to find the ideal revs and technique, and I have no doubt that one would likely enjoy more consistent performance with their self-shifting transmissions.

2. Compared to each other, the 981 Cayman S and BMW M2 were virtually neck and neck right through the 1/4 mile and up to about 200 kmh, at which point the Cayman pulls out ahead--not because it's down on power but because it's roughly 450-lbs lighter (and probably more aerodynamic).

When the M2 first came out I was thrilled that BMW seemed to be once again building the type of car they had almost forgotten how. But I wished it was 200-300-lbs lighter. And now it seems that they've gone in the other direction: adding more weight, adding more weight at the wrong end of the car and adding more power, which it really doesn't need or wouldn't need if they managed to shed a bit of weight.

The CSL may be a better solution and the car I would prefer in principle, but these 'track day specials' in many cases, are really only half hearted attempts. They end up being 'better' at the track, but still really need upgraded pads, fluid, tires (not to mention proper safety equipment if you REALLY want to turn them into track cars, at which point they can't be legally driven on the road at all) and even without the safety equipment they end up being awful road cars with punishing suspensions that aren't all that practical.

Personally, I would have preferred a slightly stripped down M2 with the N55 engine. But that's just me.

This is a very good point although I think one could definitely cross shop an M2 vs a 981 Porsche Cayman. I for one did. If you look at Car & Driver's 1/11/2016 test of the manual transmission BMW M2 and their 9/17/14 test of the manual Cayman S, it highlights several interesting points.

1. When comparing acceleration of the two cars vs their PDK/DSG variants, despite what the manufacturers claim, the manuals really aren't any slower. At least not from 60 mph on up. (Although to be fair, both cars went through multiple launches to find the ideal revs and technique, and I have no doubt that one would likely enjoy more consistent performance with their self-shifting transmissions.

2. Compared to each other, the 981 Cayman S and BMW M2 were virtually neck and neck right through the 1/4 mile and up to about 200 kmh, at which point the Cayman pulls out ahead--not because it's down on power but because it's roughly 450-lbs lighter (and probably more aerodynamic).

When the M2 first came out I was thrilled that BMW seemed to be once again building the type of car they had almost forgotten how. But I wished it was 200-300-lbs lighter. And now it seems that they've gone in the other direction: adding more weight, adding more weight at the wrong end of the car and adding more power, which it really doesn't need or wouldn't need if they managed to shed a bit of weight.

The CSL may be a better solution and the car I would prefer in principle, but these 'track day specials' in many cases, are really only half hearted attempts. They end up being 'better' at the track, but still really need upgraded pads, fluid, tires (not to mention proper safety equipment if you REALLY want to turn them into track cars, at which point they can't be legally driven on the road at all) and even without the safety equipment they end up being awful road cars with punishing suspensions that aren't all that practical.

Personally, I would have preferred a slightly stripped down M2 with the N55 engine. But that's just me.
Oh, they're definitely cross-shoppable (if that's a word). But I think I'd have a hard time choosing the BMW over the Porsche. To be honest, I don't care if the PDK/DSG is faster or not. I'm getting a manual because I enjoy the experience rather than the performance, so I'm also not concerned that the Cayman might actually be faster, even if I am impressed. Still goes to show that weight reduction is pretty important.

the 981 Cayman S and BMW M2 were virtually neck and neck right through the 1/4 mile and up to about 200 kmh, at which point the Cayman pulls out ahead--not because it's down on power but because it's roughly 450-lbs lighter (and probably more aerodynamic).

I would guess (because I haven't looked up the specs) that's most probably down to aero and gearing - at 200km/h it's all about power over coming drag, rather than having to accelerate its mass.

When the M2 first came out I was thrilled that BMW seemed to be once again building the type of car they had almost forgotten how. But I wished it was 200-300-lbs lighter.

It's underpinnings are somewhat shared with the 3 series so weight was always going to be an issue...

I would have preferred a slightly stripped down M2 with the N55 engine.

N55 is being regulated out, wouldn't have been an option.

I mean they made a smaller kidney but the rest outside is just urghs for me. Those squares just don't work with the head and taillights in other shapes. That rear bumper my lord. Lego or something.

Will be a very good car of course as soon as you are behind the wheel. M3/M4 S58 engine, 460 hp 550 Nm, wow tyre slayer confirmed even with 2% longer wheelbase. Stick is available. 1700 kg (manual) and 1725 kg (automatic) is very high again like BMWs these days just are even with carbon roof and seats and ceramic brakes.

I will see if the looks can grow on me.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that front end is just one horizontal line away from looking too much like an mid 2000's Dodge concept vehicle.

Edit for 5 minutes in Photoshop to make sure you don't unsee it:
ZpQbkex.png

Last edited:
It’s kidney grille for me, I just realized. I’m used to BMWs having a chrome or black outline around their grilles and this car’s just blends into the bodywork.

I really like it, but I don’t think I’ll trade in my f87. I’ll wait a few years to see what the comp/cs/csl offer

It’s kidney grille for me, I just realized. I’m used to BMWs having a chrome or black outline around their grilles and this car’s just blends into the bodywork.
One of the things the Euro companies always did best was outlining features. Outlines and chamfers. It's amazing what a thin strip of chrome surrounding a feature can do, and for the performance versions you make it black. Really simple. Remove the outline and suddenly it looks like a JC Whitney fiberglass knockoff. Arguably the lack of detail has more to do with it looking like a Dodge than it being red and square.

Last edited:
Back