The Cadillac thread

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 367 comments
I'm not sure if this fits here, but I spotted this today at Briarwood mall.

wp_20160517_003-jpg.547172
wp_20160517_004-jpg.547173

I love the two tone :lol: I think it actually looks quite good. Maybach esque!

Last edited:
That trailer.... "From the people that brought you Tron...." :lol:

I wish they would change the badge back to the old one with the wreath, also I love their past few years design language... I don't want a new one!

Friggin love it. The name Escala... it's classy like the Milanese opera house, and like a lemon spritzer vs lemonade.

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

They killed off a lot of personality that marque has and made it kinda generic, they have done a Lincoln which is a shame. It's not instantly recognisable as a Caddilac whereas the previous angular stealth jet design language which has been going on for over a decade really stood out. Really does look like a slightly less curvy XJ.

Seems very European-ish. Curious to see how the exterior looks with the finished product; interior looks nice, but usual concept stuff.

"Cadillac Escala" is impossible to google, even when you add "Concept". :lol:

Look like a Grand Theft Auto car.

The CT6 rear in particular looks like the GTA version of the S Class rear to me, so similar it's in the uncanny zone where it keeps feeling like I recognise S Class.

I'd love to know more about that 4.2TT V8 they've got in there. I'd imagine it is "production based," but whether that would indicate it being based on that corporate 3.6L V6 or a clean sheet design, well, who knows.

Still, a promising design based on the rather attractive CT6. I'd be willing to bet we get an A7-like CT6 sooner than later, and then this design language starts to fill in over the next few years. The new grille works much better with the new badge (which I still don't like), and will likely look pretty good on all of the current models.

I quite like it, still retains what we see in the current top models and even lower trims and just makes it more simplistic. The only notable things are the obvious take away from other cars, the headlights clearly scream Aston concept/limited production cars, back end is jaguar in like. However, it still mostly seems to be what Cadillac have been aiming at for the past decade.

Well, the head of Cadillac spilled the beans on what they're planning to do:

We ARE planning a Cadillac flagship which will NOT be a 4 door sedan;

We ARE planning a large crossover beneath Escalade;

We ARE planning a compact crossover beneath XT5;

We ARE planning a comprehensive enhancement to CT6 later during life cycle;

We ARE planning a major refresh for XTS;

We ARE planning a new Lux 3 sedan entry;

We ARE planning a new Lux 2 sedan entry;

These programs are secure and development work is well underway, with very substantial costs already committed.

In addition, new powertrain applications for the above portfolio, which will include New Energy applications, are also part of the confirmed planning.

The writing has largely been on the wall for a lot of this for a while now. I'm surprised they're already planning on replacing the ATS and adding a smaller CLA-type model, but then again, it isn't as though the ATS has set sales records on fire. A smaller luxury sedan could be interesting, but diving into the parts bin doesn't entirely inspire confidence at this point - I just don't think the Delta and Epsilon chassis are good enough to make a competitive sedan at this point.

Big Cadillac flagship that isn't a sedan leads to three possible conclusions:
  1. Yet another all-new Escalade, which has arguably been the flagship since the late '90s
  2. Escala becomes the CT7/CT8, or they use a real name, to take on the S-Class Coupe
  3. We get another Corvette-based sports car at the top of the food chain

Hopefully the major refresh for the XTS involves a giant recycling bin.
Yeah... if Cadillac is aiming to compete with brands like BMW and Mercedes-Benz, they should probably get rid of their FWD sedans.

Yeah... if Cadillac is aiming to compete with brands like BMW and Mercedes-Benz, they should probably get rid of their FWD sedans.
That doesn't make any sense, because a lot of BMW owners thought their cars were FWD in a survey. The majority of people who buy those luxury cars do not care what wheels are driven.

That badge is going to hovering above the car via electromagnetics by 2025.

I sent a scathing email about badge placement to Cadillac recently after I saw a new SRX on the road. I asked them if their designers had heard of basic design principles such as the 2/3 rule. Putting the badge 7/9 of the way up the grille just doesn't work by any design measure, objective or subjective. I honestly don't know how they think it looks right to do that. If this Escala's badge was the goal - to use it as a border element or to mirror the shape of the grille itself - then why the hell didn't they just do that to begin with? Why did we have to witness the badge migrate hilariously as if it truly were alive and trying to find its place in the world?

As for the car: It's the most boring thing Cadillac has created in years. The exterior looks almost production ready so you can expect a car to look just like this but the Ciel and Elmiraj both had more imposing, classic design elements. I personally think the vertical headlights mirroring the famous vertical tail lights is the best design feature of any of the new cars. It's totally unique, not copied from anybody, modern and interesting, yet clearly a throwback to their heritage. Unfortunately, customers apparently don't see it that way, mostly because they have no idea what they're looking at most of time.

EDIT: I like it, I just think they've done better before. Only thing I would *really* change is the greenhouse. The round greenhouse just doesn't go with the chiseled body at all. This is not an Audi - Cadillacs of this chiseled era should have trapezoidal greenhouses.

Last edited:
Back