The Caterham Cup - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 521 comments
Perfect thanks, glory was never on the cards (a wheel would help), but good racing is what its all about

Be interesting to know who's using a wheel setup and what it is, and whos using a controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be interesting to know who's using a wheel setup and what it is, and who's using a controller.
I think that all the current group of drivers are using a wheel. Although that is a think, because I'm not sure. We have had some very fast controller users in the past though.
There's a varied range of wheels among us. I use a Logitech G29 from the cheaper end of the force feedback range, but there are some at the other end who have direct drive wheels! Whichever wheel you use it adds a great deal to the immersion - not necessarily the speed. :)

And a word of caution about posting on GTPlanet - Try not to double post (unless a longish period of time as passed) because it'll draw the attention of the moderators to you. It's frowned upon here and it does keep the forums looking neat.
If you need to add an extra thought to a recent post, use the edit button to er, edit the text. And if you want to reply to more than one person use the +Quote button to add them all to the one message. Like below. ;)

but good racing is what its all about
I hope you find that with our group. I send out invites around 8pm and the whole shebang starts when everyone has joined - about 8:05. There's often a practice room open beforehand which hopefully you'll get an invite to. Mics are ok in the practice sessions but we tend not to use them during the races themselves - it's bad for concentration!
This week there are only the 2 longer races, there are 4 on other weeks. Stay in the lobby between races and press ready (thumbs up) when you are ready. Same goes for the pre-race pause screen - which you only have 2 minutes to press. If you drop out for some reason you can use the original invite to rejoin.

And I'll add you into the PSN message thread we use for chatting. 👍

Thanks didnt know about double posts.
Checked the cars
620r Momo Corse
300PS #101

thanks (unless you want me the change it)

Just tried Scotland for the first time with both cars, what a track, and had major nose lift on the 300SP lol.

Last edited:
Hi folks, bit late to the party here but I found some of you guys racing the caterhams at bannochbrae today and it was a blast. You mentioned the forum here on gt planet. Are there any spots left to join? (I don't mind being behind on points). If I'm too late then no probs, hopefully catch the next series!

Are there any spots left to join?
I'm glad some of the chaps attracted your attention Joe. There's 1 spot left up for grabs. I'll add you in on the entrants list. 👍
I'll get a friend request sent to you tomorrow, actually that's today now! Is your PSN name Saltyjoe90 as well?

Have a glance over the first few posts in the thread, there's most of the information you'll need. Plus there's even more in the last few messages since Simon and Hun have recently joined so they've had a few extra questions answered. If you think of anything else, ask away.

It's not critical but if you get a chance pick a Seven colour and a 300R number.

@half_sourly - perhaps Simon and Joe as team members? Would make sense since they will be starting at the same time. And make it easier for you?

Yup team me up with anyone who's willing to risk it :dunce:
BTW are track limits generally turned off in race, specifically of interest for the town chicane (Scotland) which, with eyes shut, and no lifting (and some toilet roll), is a nice little boost.
I need to find some recommended controller setting tweaks (deadzones, sensitivity etc) to make steering a bit smoother (or get some new hands).

Just a reminder that for the 2nd race, in the 300SP, there is a compulsory pitstop required.
The pit window will be the middle 10 minutes of the race - after10 mins before 20 mins.
Using time (instead of laps) I can't enforce it so I'll rely on you all to observe it. Whether you change your tyres for extra grip is up to you.
Race 1 in the Seven doesn't require a stop.

I'm sorry that I haven't joined any of the practice sessions this week. I wasn't able to earlier on and then later in the week I'd set all the parameters ready for today and didn't want to loose them. So I haven't actually done any laps! I did do plenty when setting the weather and time up so hopefully I'll remember some of that. :)

I need to find some recommended controller setting tweaks
I'm using a wheel but do occasionally use a controller so this thread might be a useful. And these settings by @Wolfe look pretty good to me.

I presume fuel depletion will be on again; will we start with enough fuel for the whole race?
It will, and hopefully/usually there'll be enough fuel to last (I'm not sure how the game works it out). But the pitstop can be used to top up if needed.

And a reminder that tyre wear will be set to accelerated on these longer races. Although even then it's not that rapid, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:
It will, and hopefully/usually there'll be enough fuel to last (I'm not sure how the game works it out). But the pitstop can be used to top up if needed.

And a reminder that tyre wear will be set to accelerated on these longer races. Although even then it's not that rapid, but it'll be worth keeping an eye on.

The Seven's tyres last the 20 minutes without question. The 300's lasting 30 minutes is more debatable, and I never did a 30 minute test, but yesterday Rich set up a lobby with 20 minutes of free practise and by the end of it I had the tyres close to half worn out, so I guess they'll last the 30 minutes.

Of course the amount of sliding around varies greatly with track and tyre temperature (not to mention driving style), so anyone willing to risk double stinting the tyres should probably pit as late as possible and only then check their tyres' condition and make the right call.

Last edited:
As per the first page rules, the "Force Manual Pit Stops" is set to NO (as is the "Pit Stop Errors") so I guess it will depend on each players "Options" settings. I don't have a button mapped for "pit speed limiter" so the game does it for me.

But ... if you enter the pits so fast the game cannot slow you down instantly, then you'll get a penalty (I think it usually is an immediate DQ :scared:), so whatever the case (auto or manual limiter) I'd advise that ... brakes be used entering pit lane :D

Last edited:
Johnny Dumfries has passed away. Had a short career in F1 (being team mate to Senna when both were climbing the F1 ladder wasn't easy I bet), but found glory at Le Mans (with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers) with this beauty:

XJR9-LM.jpg

May he rest in peace. Quite fitting that we have a "scottish" race today

Really enjoyed that, thanks. Hope i didn't cause too many pile ups, or get in the way unnecessarily. Well done to all.
I didn't realise you could go flip back to messaging and type, not having done much multiplayer on PS4, so wasn't ignoring ya all. Blame the noobie for technical hitches, i can take it lol

Even though I had to retire on first lap, I went into monitor mode, and to watch the fabulous race between Rich and Simba....WOW, it was a barn burner for numerous laps...great driving and concentration from both.
Simba, I thought you would catch Rich in that last 3 minutes....his lead was shrinking fast at the 2 minute point, until you made contact with a fence maybe? I couldn't tell from the view I had turned on, but I knew you had real trouble 'cause his suddenly began to grow again quickly.
Anyway, that was a very enjoyable experience watch 2 of our best fight out like that!

Last edited:
Quick review (have no pov or even replay video so it'll have to be a written one).

Race 1 -

After nearly missing the deadline to be home in time for the first race, I ... missed the first race anyway due to a disconnect when the game formed the grid. Sad as that was, it gave me the oportunity to spectate almost the entire race and watch Richard successfully keeping both Andreas and Xeronima behind him. Both quick and consistent, his well earned victory under enormous pressure (for an entire race) came because, unlike the hounds that hunted him for 20 minutes, the fox didn't make mistakes (well, I saw one but by that time the folowers had already made a few and were almost 10 secs behind).

So ... yeah, gutted for missing this race (and those that know me also know ... I already loved this car/track combo even before meeting you gents ) but I watched a good race, never bored, something I can't say about some of the F1 races last year :D

Race 2 -

As usual ... :irked: ... I was placed nearly at the back of the grid. And to add insult to injury I was caught in a first lap multi-car pile up that I have no idea how it started but I got to see the inner workings of some other cars suspension and engine (my car got under other or others, can't really tell). When all was cleared I was in the midfield, so I did what I could to get to the front pack (some 4 guys). When I finally got within striking distance of that leading group 10 minutes had gone by and I decided that I wasn't going to join their fun, instead I pitted and hoped that they would lose time battling each other.

The strategy went almost perfect but when I left the pits I had to follow another car for a good portion of the outlap and that cost me some time. Anyway, between minutes12 and 20 of the race I gained a bit of time on the leader (xeronima) so I was hopeful ... and so it happened that when the lead guys pitted I gained track position on all of them except ... xeronima, he left the pits right in front of me! :crazy:

After this, for a good portion of the remaining 10 minutes we had a very intense, very close race, one that ended when:
a) he made a mistake;
b) I got him:
c) I made a mistake
d) he went away

And that was it. Second place, very happy with my race and speed, also with the way my strategy helped me gain track positions and with a great 1 vs 1 battle for the lead to top it all. Thanks all again, I am really happy I met you guys!

:gtpflag::cheers: :gtpflag:

Last edited:
Even though I had to retire on first lap, I went into monitor mode, and to watch the fabulous race between Rich and Simba....WOW, it was a barn burner for numerous laps...great driving and concentration from both.
Simba, I thought you would catch Rich in that last 3 minutes....his lead was shrinking fast at the 2 minute point, until you made contact with a fence maybe? I couldn't tell from the view I had turned on, but I knew you had real trouble 'cause his suddenly began to grow again quickly.
Anyway, that was a very enjoyable experience watch 2 of our best fight out like that!

Shame we cant watch it on 'Catch up'

I'm glad some of the chaps attracted your attention Joe. There's 1 spot left up for grabs. I'll add you in on the entrants list. 👍
I'll get a friend request sent to you tomorrow, actually that's today now! Is your PSN name Saltyjoe90 as well?

Have a glance over the first few posts in the thread, there's most of the information you'll need. Plus there's even more in the last few messages since Simon and Hun have recently joined so they've had a few extra questions answered. If you think of anything else, ask away.

It's not critical but if you get a chance pick a Seven colour and a 300R number.

@half_sourly - perhaps Simon and Joe as team members? Would make sense since they will be starting at the same time. And make it easier for you?

Really sorry, I posted late on Sunday then didn't check in till late after work on Monday and missed Bannochbrae! I don't know why but I had Wednesdays in my head, I've looked back at early messages and realised my error...:confused:

Will Oschersleben and Red Bull Ring be next Monday 29th March?

Regarding the above, more than happy to team up with Simon (sorry for not being there yesterday mate!) and I'll have a look at the colour and number later if I get chance to get on the game this evening (and get a practice in!).

Sorry again, you've all been very welcoming so I feel really bad no showing yesterday, sounds like a cracking race :)

Back