The Crew 2 Open Beta Coming, More Details at E3 2018

Is it really a visual downgrade in some areas (buildings, small landscape details and some other things) compared to The Crew Wild Run, as I've seen some claim and a YouTube video or two attempt to show?
Playing the beta it certainly looks better than I remember from the original + graphics update, but maybe lighting, shadows etc. have been improved while some other things have taken a hit?

I'm currently reinstalling the first game on my PS4, out of curiosity about both visuals and handling.

I'm on PS4 Pro, I think the whole game lighting is better now I have had a good chance to play on this properly, lovely landscapes to drive around in and time of day. Mountains, water, lakes and Cars look X100 better and it is a huge map again! Audio has improved. I think for me I also agree that shadows, lighting have been improved but streets, cities and buildings seem to be 3D blocks where on Crew1 they did have more detail. I think I read they had to re make most of the map again for the planes to fly over, so maybe they will patch in fine detail during its life. I also think the photo mode has a great improvement but still has some jaggies so some photos do not come out as good as other recent games i.e FH3/OnRush etc

Overall a massive map again but playing Ubisofts recent release Assassins Creed Origins Open World game just before, the detail/photo mode in that game is much better and so much sharper (I know it has Horses, ships and crocodiles rather than cars and boats :P) so hopefully there will be some improvements in the way of patches in the future like they did with the crew1.

I will pick it up, I am on the fence whether pre-order day one or wait on this one (I did enjoy the Crew over many months-it seemed to get better the longer you play and find new details on the map).

Has anyone seen it snow? Supposedly the entire landscape can be covered. So far I've only had rain shower.

Edit: So apparently while I spent ten minutes lining up a photo it snowed and the landscape was covered when I exited photo mode :).

Last edited:
I'm on PS4 Pro, I think the whole game lighting is better now I have had a good chance to play on this properly, lovely landscapes to drive around in and time of day. Mountains, water, lakes and Cars look X100 better and it is a huge map again! Audio has improved. I think for me I also agree that shadows, lighting have been improved but streets, cities and buildings seem to be 3D blocks where on Crew1 they did have more detail. I think I read they had to re make most of the map again for the planes to fly over, so maybe they will patch in fine detail during its life. I also think the photo mode has a great improvement but still has some jaggies so some photos do not come out as good as other recent games i.e FH3/OnRush etc

Overall a massive map again but playing Ubisofts recent release Assassins Creed Origins Open World game just before, the detail/photo mode in that game is much better and so much sharper (I know it has Horses, ships and crocodiles rather than cars and boats :P) so hopefully there will be some improvements in the way of patches in the future like they did with the crew1.

I will pick it up, I am on the fence whether pre-order day one or wait on this one (I did enjoy the Crew over many months-it seemed to get better the longer you play and find new details on the map).

I revisited the first game and in most regards it definitely looks worse than the new game. As you say, while The Crew 2 doesn't seem to have more object detail on buildings, most of the landscape (better foliage in many locations though) and some other areas, it hands down looks better than the first in the over all image. Better lighting, shadows, car models, no low res shimmering look to the entire image (a problem for the first game on the base PS4). And of course there's the water.

In terms of handling it's improved on a controller, but while I was initially appalled by how bad it feels on a wheel (I've managed to dial in some settings that are alright-ish for cruising around, but I'll probably use the controller for actual racing in cars), the first game was significantly worse in that regard.

I'll definitely buy this game. Aside from the mentioned improvements I also feel like the actual events are much better this time - in the first game I just couldn't be compelled to do much more than random driving around.

Seen some really thick fog, which was crazy cuse i was flying. Haven't seen heavy rain or any snow.

Crossing the gulf in a boat at sunset was beautifull and i have had a few other moments that where just stunning in thier beauty.

Also had a cool experiance this morning. As i was crusin my way up the mississippi a guy in a plane veered off his course to do a fly by on me. It was pretty cool, he come over got down low turned on the smoke and went inverted just as we crossed over/under eachother, then went back to whatever he was doing before. Wish i had the presence of mind to get some replay footage out of that. Was really cool though. Need more of that kinda thing to happen

I really want to enjoy this car with friends (kind of the point), but with both the open and closed beta, we've only ever gotten four people in the crew once. Every other time, we're limited to 3 people, and even then up to 2 people will constantly get disconnected. The driving/flying/nautical stuff itself is pretty fun. The races don't seem to be good for anything other than choosing one or two to spam for cash and loot drops. Cruising around the huge world is much more fun. Roads outside of cities--especially mountain/hill roads are just as fun as you'd expect. Honestly, my only issue is the fact that we can't keep an actual CREW together.

Also had a cool experiance this morning. As i was crusin my way up the mississippi a guy in a plane veered off his course to do a fly by on me. It was pretty cool, he come over got down low turned on the smoke and went inverted just as we crossed over/under eachother, then went back to whatever he was doing before. Wish i had the presence of mind to get some replay footage out of that. Was really cool though. Need more of that kinda thing to happen

This basically sums up

1) What The Crew 2 has the potential to be, and
2) What I spent most of the Closed Beta on. Particularly that bit where I decided to say "hi" to a random person in a boat by flying under the low bridge ahead of them - while inverted - and then proceeded to skim the water with the tip of my wing. Until I eventually crashed and we sort of went our separate ways. I'd like to think I at least put a smile on their face.

That actually brings me on to a perfect metaphor for TC2, or at least the community - it's all the experiences R* said we were going to have in GTA Online, minus 97.2% of the tryhards. You'll still get rammers because.. apparently that's funny.. but they're really just a minor, temporary inconvenience.

I'm reading somewhere else at the moment that you can swap parts between cars in the same class (I haven't tried, only have my starter vehicles still). That seems to potentially kill longevity for the game as you basically only need to upgrade one and then the others - or at least several - can be instantly maxed with owned parts.
I know some people hate grinding but for open world games of this type that does seem to be what keeps a player base going.

I do like that money is easier to come by this time though.

I didn't think it was possible to use photo mode during races, but the livetrack feature available from the map is pretty damn extraordinary.

Has anyone seen it snow? Supposedly the entire landscape can be covered. So far I've only had rain shower.

Edit: So apparently while I spent ten minutes lining up a photo it snowed and the landscape was covered when I exited photo mode :).

Yes it can snow in Miami.
Although I haven't yet but I know I have seen snow in Death Valley. (Which is odd because it's always hot)

Was unable to download on ps4 so did on xbox. Not a day onerrer for me. Not too much different to GTAO. Likely to by when about £30 digital.

Is anyone on Xbox having screen resolution problems?
Or is that only a PS4 issue?

Was weird when it stated snowing, while I've been driving from LA to Vegas.

Is anyone on Xbox having screen resolution problems?
Or is that only a PS4 issue?
I think both screens are as bad as each other. I haven't played both versions on ps4 and xbox long enough yet.

I just tried the really rough sea and big waves out in the boats, amazing to hit those heights on the waves (Thanks for the tip @MeanElf) and quite realistic in cockpit or bonnet (Bow) cam!..

Also the big wheelers off road are really fun high up in cockpit view bouncing around the map. Photo mode is also getting better by the live cam as you can adjust it to make it really sharp frame by frame.

The House is cool to walk around, customisation on the vehicles and character is much easier this time, and most things can be changed again. The Skull light on the front of the bike is cool, as are all the clothing options. Looking forward to the full game now before FH4 arrives.

(From photo thread pg.2) 👍

Last edited:
Cheers Mr @torque99 I was aiming to go for the big boys next but got sidetracked flying and boating around the Grand Canyon (switching between modes) and then low flying over Bonneville Salt Flats and generally being a traffic hazard in Las Vegas (from the air.) I will get to the monster trucks today, I promise 👍

I had snow after the Lake Tahoe event @Miths

I promised myself I won't be grinding for parts, but it's just to addictive to max out any vehicle. My estimation (for those concern about parts swapping)... You'll need to do at least 500 races to max out every discipline. To that put another 200+ races to get all the purple parts and same if not more to get all the best parts (nitrous refill, nitrous duration for example).. the grinding is back big time.

I promised myself I won't be grinding for parts, but it's just to addictive to max out any vehicle. My estimation (for those concern about parts swapping)... You'll need to do at least 500 races to max out every discipline. To that put another 200+ races to get all the purple parts and same if not more to get all the best parts (nitrous refill, nitrous duration for example).. the grinding is back big time.

That's probably good for game longevity. I was a little worried when I heard that parts can be swapped between vehicles within classes.

I'm very happy that money seems to be a little easier to come by this time though. Although I've spent so much time just cruising around during this beta that I've still only been able to afford two vehicles in addition to the starter ones (plus the few you get to keep after events). So I still haven't tried around half the specialized classes.

If you are a completist like myself you will need a lot of money. Just to buy all the expencive stuff for each discipline you will spend more than 7mil. I just don't want to think how much would it cost to buy all the vehicles in the game. Let's hope there will be some Summit alike events where we will be able to earn cars the easy way too.

screenshot_456s39.jpg

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1899421-What-happened-to-the-colors-lighting-2017-vs-2018

I tried to recreate the shot from the 2017 gameplay and this is the closest i could get with time of day/weather... I´m a bit disappointed...

Bikes are all right too with a wheel instead of controller. I probably wouldn't use it for racing, but on the 60 km road trip I'm on right now it works quite well.
So for cruising that leaves just planes that I imagine won't work well on the controller, though I haven't actually tried yet.

I have just canceled my pre-order on steam and am hoping to get it on uplay instead since it appears steam will unlock the game in the afternoon of the 26th in the UK which is no good since i have the morning off and am working in the afternoon.

I'm also a bit annoyed about the rewards program since I will not be able to get the 9 cars I unlocked. I played the crew 1 on PS4 but now i'm getting the crew 2 for PC and the FAQ about the rewards program says the rewards are not cross platform. I don't see this should be the case since my steam and PS4 accounts are both linked to my Uplay account.

Latest Posts

Back