The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
You don't have do restore chassis rigidity after each race.
It's not stated, but there should be an internal percentage of lost rigidity used in the game.
Maintenance will cost you the same whether chassis rigidity is 99.5% or 50%.

You don't have do restore chassis rigidity after each race.
It's not stated, but there should be an internal percentage of lost rigidity used in the game.
Maintenance will cost you the same whether chassis rigidity is 99.5% or 50%.

Interesting, wouldn't mind a little info somewhere saying how badly the car has been damaged over time. So you know when to use the restore chassis rigidity, if there is any point to it at all, because i can't say there is atm, don't think i've used the option on any cars so far, beside cars bought from used cars.

It's probably for the best that there is no mech damage on A/B Spec the first time through. The fact of the matter is, with the same ole AI we've seen since GT1, adding mech damage without an AI upgrade would have been a catastrophe. How would anyone complete the Historics Race in a Countach with mech damage on?

It will be interesting to see, if we can later turn on mech damage for A/B Spec, how the AI reacts to damage. Will their cars be effected? Will they pit for repairs? How about B Spec? Who will chose to pit, you or your driver?

The bummer about the mech damage is that pit repairs are completed in the exact same amount of time it takes to change tires- 9 seconds. The amount of damage should translate to some additional/reasonable amount of time in the pits.

Just to say.....

The damage is technically level related, as the higher level you get to, the more damage aapear on cars that are drivable at that level.

I don't really understand the damage in this game, because it seems to be strictly visual. I don't notice any difference in handling or performance after damage occurs.

I'd also like to know if damage in-game leads to faster depletion of the chassis rigidity and more of a cost when repairing it in the GT shop.

My LFA usually doesn't damage too much, but the other day I went airbourne at Daytona Speedway and the whole rear end and wing of the car was totally smashed! :)

I don't really understand the damage in this game, because it seems to be strictly visual. I don't notice any difference in handling or performance after damage occurs.

I'd also like to know if damage in-game leads to faster depletion of the chassis rigidity and more of a cost when repairing it in the GT shop.

Mechanical damage is currently only implemented in online mode. Hopefully it'll show up in the other modes soon.

Chassis rigidity does not appear to be affected by in-game damage (which, as noted, in non-online modes is cosmetic only anyway).

I just played the SSr5 seasonal event and I just happened to bump the guard rail. Next thing I know, I go in 3rd person view and go reverse look and what do I see? My front left bumper is dislodged!! Damage in this update is def. more prominent!

V1.05 Standard car damage seems more severe.
I was just testing lift off oversteer with the RUF, and being rear engined, it has plenty of that :D
I can't get it to flip like I can with a Premium GT-R though...

6OYnO.jpg

Mechanical damage exists in arcade 2 player mode as well. Interestingly enough, player 2 did not have options for mechanical damage, track edge friction, etc, but player 1 did. I found my cars pulling very hard to one side after putting a corner into the wall, it felt a lot like 'minor wheel damage' in Codemasters games like Grid.

hmmmm, maybe that was what happened then, the impacts were pretty minor. it didn't occur to me that punctures were a possibility. but then again, i only raced 2p twice since mechanical damage was implemented. i'll go check that out.

thx

V1.05 Standard car damage seems more severe.
I was just testing lift off oversteer with the RUF, and being rear engined, it has plenty of that :D
I can't get it to flip like I can with a Premium GT-R though...

6OYnO.jpg

Man I hope over time they can patch some realistic or at least 2010 levels of damage. This is just horrible. Don't get me wrong, it's better than nothing, but barely.

Those cars don't have proper interiors, their just a single big shell. No separate parts or panels. Pretty good all things considered.
To do epic arcade style damage would require the cars to be modelled and physics programmed from the ground up, even Premiums aren't done like this and you can forget about having a lot of them either....

Plus if you have mechanical damage, the car is pretty undriveable before you even get to that stage.
Damage should be used a deterrent, not as a means itself

Last edited:
Well on that track where I can flip the GT-R, Nascar and Rally cars, my RUF won't do it...
Standard cars can be rolled over but there's either a force which keeps their wheels planted on the ground or their center of gravity has been purposefully set up incorrectly (too low). This is clear with tall and narrow standard cars, even if you manage to lift their wheels they look as if they want to rebalance on their own.

I just picked GT5 up yesterday and was amused by the lack of damage. I've been playing racing games for some 15 years now, some with damage models and some without. I just got done playing a ton of FM3, and the lack of damage in GT5 is just laughable. Admittedly I was getting used to the PS3 controller again for driving (the 360 controller is SO much better for racing games IMO) and I'd temporarily confuse my brake button with the shift down button. Caused me to smack walls at 50+ mph a few times. In other games (e.g., FM3, Race Pro, Pro Race Driver on PSP/Xbox, etc), my car would be rendered highly crippled, if not toast. But in true GT1-GT4 fashion, I was on my merry way.

Back