The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
It's not meant to be picture of a car from above, it's a cut away damage diagram :)

That's totally your generic top down generic car picture... it's just like the tire wear indicator in Forza and many other car games. If anything it looks like a 350Z from above but just becuase tha'ts a generic sports car look.

Ok my eagle eye spotted something interesting :)
That set of icons on the top left of the pic appears in the bottom left HUD of the Gamestop track creator video, but the white sections on the side of the car icon overlay are a single unbroken piece instead of the 2 blocks on either side in the pic. And they also move at 0:52....

edit - it might be due to compression artifacts
[YOUTUBEHD]EmySSqu0tqA[/YOUTUBEHD]

Last edited:
Back to the GameStop/Best Buy demos . Did anyone manage to do a burnout? Hold brake mid way and gas all the way?

Too bad, my GameStop still does not have the demo, the guy told me the SONY guys come over every once in a while to update the DEMOS and System.

Ok my eagle eye spotted something interesting :)
That set of icons on the top left of the pic appears in the bottom left HUD of the Gamestop track creator video, but the white sections on the side of the car icon overlay are a single unbroken piece instead of the 2 blocks on either side in the pic. And they also move at 0:52....

edit - it might be due to compression artifacts

Maybe that is a traction indicator?

Pretty sure its just the bad quality of the video that makes those 2 bars jump around. Nothing significant is happening on track when it happens.

VW Bus

0000430560.jpg

Mercedes SLS

photo04a.jpg

First pic: Arcade
Second pic: Simulation

Arcade - only changing tires.
Simulation - tires, engine, brakes, suspension.

If the SLS were simulation, and supposedly more complex, where's the fuel gauge?

If the VW Samba shot is how it'll be in the final game, it's really no better than what we had in GT2.

You can probably modify the B-spec HUD.

You can probably modify the B-spec HUD.

It's possible. I realise now that I didn't mention mechanical damage in my previous post.

The Samba shot looks like the damage icon from GT2's arcade mode. I'm hoping for something a little more sophisticated...

not sure if this had been posted, but surely the most funny thing I have seen by far. Around 1:52 the hilarity begins.Also shown around 4:14 in the replay.

never mind, it is old

Last edited:
this visual damage thing brings up 2 questions for me.

first, Will GT5 have active aero? ie, the movable wings that raise and lower at different speeds such as that on the LFA, and the air brake on the veyron, if so will these just be visual, or will they effect the aero in realtime.

second, will damaged panels, broken wings, diffusers ect have any effect on the aerodynamic propertys of the car?

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else, i cant seem to find info on it.
Thanks in advance

this visual damage thing brings up 2 questions for me.

first, Will GT5 have active aero? ie, the movable wings that raise and lower at different speeds such as that on the LFA, and the air brake on the veyron, if so will these just be visual, or will they effect the aero in realtime.

second, will damaged panels, broken wings, diffusers ect have any effect on the aerodynamic propertys of the car?

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else, i cant seem to find info on it.
Thanks in advance

The Best Buy Demo says yes. Air brake worked fine on the Mercedes SLS I drove at Tokyo

If the SLS were simulation, and supposedly more complex, where's the fuel gauge?

If the VW Samba shot is how it'll be in the final game, it's really no better than what we had in GT2.

From what I can tell, those are 2 different builds. Look at the bottom row of buttons, set of 3 on the bottom left and the exit button on the bottom right. Also the VW version has some Japanese? characters. To me also the VW version looks like what we will get (note the jaggies on the map and the live view) and the SLS version looks a bit pre-rendered.

Also the fuel indicator light has disappeared (which is expected as now there is a gauge)

I really hope the damage model is pretty advanced. And it would be VERY nice if by some cars they could get really damaged like in Burnout, though the chances are low. :/

I really hope the damage model is pretty advanced. And it would be VERY nice if by some cars they could get really damaged like in Burnout, though the chances are low. :/

Burnout paradise damage model is awesome!Im pretty sure the GT5 game engine could handle that,if you take the videos we've seen of various cones,barriers flying into the air.Its the legal requirments that prevent PD from implementing it. Damage in a real car,unless its a race car,damage wont affect the core of the car,or the cabin.I know there is a 'shiny side up' clause that prevents devs from doing it

I have no idea if this is new or not but it was uploaded on youtube yesterday Nov. 4
First time i've seen this kind of damage in Toscana. I also noticed that the headlights don't reflect off the other car.

^ old as molasses. Toscana doesn't look like that anymore

Notice all the shrubs and grass in the newer builds? Better lighting, trees and fireworks among other things
newhud2.jpg

newhud3.jpg

toscananew.jpg

Nope, All these leaked vids, but not a single damage one?????!!!!

I agree, very very strange, no one tested and recorded damage ?!!!!!!!

honestly I am interested in 2 kind of videos : videos that show improvement in sound and videos that show improvements in damage model.

I dont care about videos spoiling the game for us (cars, tracks, license tests, championships...etc)

Back