The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
I played the demo at GameStop.

I chose Jeff Gordon's stock car @ Indy. I went the wrong way into traffic and was thrown into the air after crashing into one of the other drivers. As I was in the air spinning, I was going 999 MPH.

It was pretty funny and the car wouldn't return back to the ground. It just kept spinning and spinning in the sky.

I played the demo at GameStop.

I chose Jeff Gordon's stock car @ Indy. I went the wrong way into traffic and was thrown into the air after crashing into one of the other drivers. As I was in the air spinning, I was going 999 MPH.

It was pretty funny and the car wouldn't return back to the ground. It just kept spinning and spinning in the sky.

iRacing has a similar glitch that happens on a very rare occassion, but only when you are doing something you're not supposed to be...same story as yours.

iRacing has a similar glitch that happens on a very rare occassion, but only when you are doing something you're not supposed to be...same story as yours.

True. And the demo should definitely not be representative of the full game, because the Rome Circuit glitch is pretty bad around the first turn.

But in terms of damage, I was impressed. I still think it's being held back some. However, I like what I see.

And what most surprised me was how "calm" or "reserved" or "impressed" I was with the damage. Since I've been playing the original GT as a kid, I've been trained to see the cars as invincible monsters, but they're not in reality. And to finally experience visual damage wasn't at all irritating. It was oddly satisfying. I like it a lot, despite previous GT titles lacking any visual damage.

Last edited:
F1 cars are perfectly rigid

they are very different

the crash you get on a roadcar doing 300 kmh will result to bits and pieces

www.wreckedexotics.com

Enzo's , SLR's , CGT's look them up there
yes they are also made entirely out of carbon fiber but go and see what I mean by f1 cars being perfectly rigid and roadcars turning to bits and pieces.

A reason is because formula 1 big companies like Ferrari alone they spend almost a billion on the f1 car development per year that makes them very good in terms of safety

but by FIA the damage in motorsports is pretty much one of the biggest factors which affects performance especially in WRC:D F1 F2 GT1 Le Mans

unless your just driving around streets with speed limit or doesn't have any sense of humor at all then it shouldn't really matter

Manufacturers won't allow their cars to stop running.

Who says they won't?

If you don't have a real source then I prefer not making things up as a "no sense of humor" excuse in the name of FIA realism of motorsports :)

sorry!

Who says they won't?

If you don't have a real source then I prefer not making things up as a "no sense of humor" excuse in the name of FIA realism of motorsports :)

sorry!

The manufacturers?
There was a debate about this last week. There were links/messages/other forms of proof. They won't allow their cars to be damages past a certain point.

Until now the best most realistic car damage I have ever seen and played in a video game is clearly : burnout paradise

funny for criterion that even their new game NFS hot pursuit doesent have that incredible damage...why ? I dont know...maybe license issues ? gameplay design decision ? limited processing power (doubtless, burount paradise wasa 60 fps fluid game unlike the new NFS hot pursuit which is a 30 fps game)

Nfs Hot pursuit is EA not Criterion.

Burnout Paradise Is a great game with a great damage engine however very glitchy.

It is Criterion since they're owned by EA. Shift was made by guys from SimBin who left if I remember correctly and the previous NFS were made by Blackbox which got closed or at least the majority of the staff was laid off.

Burnout Paradise Is a great game with a great damage engine however very glitchy.

EA is a publisher (finance + management + marketing) who owns a lot of development studios (game design and programming).

criterion is a development studio, they developed burnout paradise and they developed the next NFS hot pursuit :)

glithy ?

come on this game on PS3 is pure enjoyment ! No glithes anywhere !

I played it like 200-300h especialy online which is imo the best online racing in gaming.

So easy to use and so good :)

glithy ?

I played it like 200-300h especialy online which is imo the best online racing in gaming.

If you want to see glitches you should play nfs shift it goes in slow mo every time there is more than 5 cars on the screen and I have managed to go under ground on it several times.

glithy ?

I agree, I played extensively and enjoyed a lot burnout paradise on 360 (for me one of the best racers ever released in history of gaming) it is really as far as you could get a bugs free, slowdowns free video game....

If you want to see glitches you should play nfs shift it goes in slow mo every time there is more than 5 cars on the screen and I have managed to go under ground on it several times.

naahhh after Porshe 2000/Unlashed serie is in deeep hole. Porshe was pinacle of NFS series games. To this day i remember how fun was to drive with first 911 or Carrera RS (f beast). Multiplayer was stellar and it had some neat ideas like trick shool or era changes. Upgrading your car was fun and destruction model was also something else then. Cockpit view in this game with quite good physic (in 2000 ofc) changed my style of gaming. Chase camera sudenly became hated one in oposition to hood,bumper and cockpit camera in racing games.

And then worst happened "Too fast too Furious" ... and hen everybody dropped evolving racing gengre and started painting their cars..

Undergroud 1 was fun but it was nothing compared to Porshe 2000..

I have hope in Criterion. They will make into proper arcade racing like first parts and then maybe we will something like Ferrari 2015/Unlashed.

I actually prefer GT5's damage over Forza 3's damage.

GT5 shows the car actually damaged rather realistically vs a bunch of paint screeches and the occasional bumper that falls off on some cars.

Just clearing things up, thats a fog lamp. It wasn't broken at all. Ever see Mercedes SL taillight?

Weird, cause I thought that the WRC Impreza didn't have any rear fog light.

2008-subaru-impreza-wrc.jpg

Compare with this, at the left side you can clearly see the red glass.

subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-malaysia1.jpg

And in this video I can't see any red glass:nervous:

Last edited:
New Damage Model!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5mQMa2-SRQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_er3QUDuG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
They probably asked Jeremy Clarkson
GT: Is it okay to have no damage at all in GT5?
Jeremy: Are you mad ?Taking the damage away is like taking away the soul of a human being
Enzo309 : Like what I said who says they won't

hopefully by November the damage development is as good as it can get to the realism of the motorsports and that'd be serious crashes that go through the wind shield ^_^ just like the ones in FIA gt1 / lmp1 series oh and WRC

Also I'm expecting aerodynamic reduction on damage

+ replacable front / rear bumper Or wing at the pits just like in formula 1
maybe that doesn't go for roadcars because usually the roadcars body pannels are gone on a big crash

but for formula 1 the front and rear wing should be replacable
just like what happened when vettel crashed on button at 300 kMh

vettels front wing was totally destroyed and went straight for the pits to replace his front wing
while button was out because he was hit on the radiator :D

that what motorsports is
crash either get a performance reduction and can go replace at the pits if it's possible depending on impact well obviously in formula 1 even if you crash at 350 kmh the front wing is still replacable because it's the whole nose that is :)

I'd love to see GT5 so complete!
Non of the motorsports competitors stand a chance

Last edited:
Back