The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
I finally played the GT5 demo at Gamestop tonight. I was having a good time, generally happy with it.

I had done about 5 or 6 races and hadn't really crashed hard enough to have any damage.. just a fender bender in the Enzo on the Nordschleife (which was some glitchy damage :-X)

So as I finished a lap on Tokyo in the Gallardo I decided to go full tilt into the wall with my few seconds left. I stayed in outside view and looked in reverse as I creamed the wall. The damage looked pretty good, and I LOL'ed. The Gamestop guy was like "you.. you OK man??" thinking I was some kinda nut in there for like an hour on the thing, laughing by myself at a racing game. I laughed some more.

I would like to see some VW Golf damage, or the Citroen C4. Even Premium Miata and STi. I guess I have to wait for Full game for those.

Now this is how stockcars disintegrate !!! Lets hope PD have it right. From Bathurst this weekend for those who didn't catch it. And best kept to the virtual world may I say. Far too scary in real life. Thank god for modern safety regs that he walked away.

^Watching that yesterday I was amazed the coulthard was able to walk away.

If it wasn't for the technology we put in these cars today a lot of these drivers would be seriously injured.

I remember a Nascar race about 4 months ago where Elliot Sadler hit the corner of the wall head on.All that happened to him was some minor bruising.If this would have happened 5 years ago he would have been seriously injured or dead.

Gotta love how the keep ourdrivers safe. 👍

Maybe we could have some ultra-realistic damage...

Say for example if you hit a wall at over 60km/h, you're only allowed to use one hand on your controller/wheel, for the rest of your life.

Or if you hit a wall at over 80km/h, your console turns off and never turns on again...

I think there has to be a balance between realism and playability... but where is it?

Maybe we could have some ultra-realistic damage...

Say for example if you hit a wall at over 60km/h, you're only allowed to use one hand on your controller/wheel, for the rest of your life.

Or if you hit a wall at over 80km/h, your console turns off and never turns on again...

I think there has to be a balance between realism and playability... but where is it?

I wish there was ultra-realistic damage, I too would like to know where does the damage system stand.

Damage - This is where the game lacks imo, crashing and not finishing is part of racing so it should be a big part of the game, when you know that if you hit another car or come off the track smash into a guard rail and you're able to continue you will push the car 100% because you dont care. If the damage system was so good that if you spin hit your car and theirs substantial damage THATS IT! game over! this is how it should be and the online timing should only be recorded in this format. There should be non-damage races but these should be under 'fun games' not under serious conditions where lap times are recorded.

This is where the good will be seperated by the greats! So those who have skill will shine.. not those who set lap records by scrapping along the guard rails.. I belive there should be two sides to this game, Fun and Serious I hope it delivers for those who are serious.

When I take my own car to the track and have problems such as ECU tuning issues or gearbox problems, overheating etc.. I dont like it but I go back and work on the car change things around so next time i go out i'll have a good run..but this is part of racing, I hope its just implemented somewhere in the game, coming to the track and having a trouble free day is satisfying and then theirs the racing side geting the best lap times, this is part of racing and it gives it more feelings of the ups and downs, using your knowledge to be better then the rest so you have to do your own R&D. Some people enjoy this some dont hence why I say there should be two sides to this game.

But simply to smash your car and continue sucks balls imo. then again this brings up the other issues of online racing and others simply crashing into your car.... I hope theirs a medium ill be happy with.

Now this is how stockcars disintegrate !!! Lets hope PD have it right. From Bathurst this weekend for those who didn't catch it. And best kept to the virtual world may I say. Far too scary in real life. Thank god for modern safety regs that he walked away.

hell yea for safety regs 👍. The thing about that type of crash is that the car is dispersing energy as it rolls so less of it goes to the driver. Those are "usually" easier to deal with then sudden stops like hitting a wall head on.

It would appear that the Damage/Tyre indicator on the top left is car specific.
Where the engine and transmission icons are placed is where it is in this van
Even the shape of the vehical overlay is like the actual car - that's a lot of extra work, but a cool thing.

0000430560.jpg

^ I don't see what you are talking about, the vehicle thing looks generic and there's no engine/transmission indicator...

See the 2 black shapes within the vehicle outline. I think 1 is the engine, the other the tranny. Also, if it was generic, I'm sure they would use a much more common placement.

Look harder, there is a black engine area in the middle, where the engine is in the Samba van, and a smaller black transmission icon at the rear - rear wheel drive

Plus the outline of the car is shaped like a van :)

Could be light damage icons on there as well. And what appears to be separate tyre/wheel damage and wear indicators. The large rectangle blocks on the outside could be tyre wear ones.

Last edited:
I don't see it, at all. Plus the windscreen placements (black patches) in the little picture is nothing like a Samba van.

It's to show tire pressures. It's in many racing games, like rFactor, iRacing, the GTR series, F1CE, and more. Generally,its like Blue/Gray is cold tires, Green is optimum grip, and red is overheating...

I can see why you would say the windshields, but what purpose would that serve?

To show that it's a car... which way is front and which is rear...

its windshield, back windshield and lights. Its only tire damage/wear. The windshield is to know which is the front of the car.

here is the Damage for everything else.

In this pic you can clearly see Engine, suspension, Transmission, rear differential, and even if you look closer BRAKES!
photo04a.jpg

The VW Samba pic is newer and more inline with the actual game. A lot of the older pics are just mockups or outdated.
Even the HUD layout is completely different. They removed the low fuel indicator and replaced it with a proper fuel guage on the HUD - far right

Haha too late :D

But you can see you can switch to see how is damage/wear done to tires and FUEL, to internal parts damage.

I am excited they included Brake damage as well. I wonder how it will work, if you hit something or if you wear it out after long use?

In real life 24 hour race, how ofter brakes are replaced? Rotors and pads?

The VW Samba pic is newer and more inline with the actual game. A lot of the older pics are just mockups or outdated

I think you can can switch to see tire damage and to see internal damage..

That does not change that they are windows..

so what are the two black slits in front of the car? Rocket launchers?

Open your eyes, its no engine, its a windshield!

Latest Posts

Back