The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
as far as i'm concerned all i want to do is drive, i don't care at all for damage as i don't like to see my beautiful car in a wreck when i finish the race.

Forza3 damage is more or less same as Forza2 and the game itself has lot of glitches, bugs. I think GT5 even in early stage has ok damage. Beta event is pretty old I am sure.

Word. Doesn't happen as much now, but when it does when you're in first on your last lap....:grumpy:

Last edited:
You don't get it do you?

1. Forza damage is NOT accurate. It CANNOT be accurate because it is not based on hit detection rather it's just pre-textured/modeled damage that will appear when the car crashes.

2. Unlike Forza, the damage shown in GT5 is REAL-TIME, that means the game calculates the impact point and intensity (don't know how accurate or precise), and on that basis the car body deforms on that position only.

And as for Forza's damage model, it can only be realistic upto an extent - a few bumps and dents and a whole lot of scratches are NOT the result of a total rollover downhill followed by collisions with two or more cars.

But what everyone should realise damage is not realistic in either game, in fact it won't be for the next upcoming years until the proper hardware and physics are available. The closest we can get to realistic damage are in games like Motorstorm, Flatout (which had engines and teh shat modeled as well) and maybe DiRT and GRiD as well.

1) I know its based in prerender damage that change between the levels of the crash BUT it shows lots more damage that what we have seen in GT5 at this momment. The best thing we have seen about GT damage is the blue impreza where the car have some of its parts open and hanging (and i think in some videos falling), but theres no pain scratch, no bending.
In this enzo video theres bending, some little scratches (and cliping).

2) Even if is real-time, is it doesnt show a damage anywhere near of what should be, it takes someone trashing the car crash after crash to even damage a bit. Plus can you asure me is realtime and not pre rendered damage stages because i think we havent seen much videos of the same car crashing in different angles to say that.

3) Like i said, GT and Forza are limited in terms of the damage they could apply to the cars, thats why im not comparing nor expect GT to be in the level of Grid, Dirt or others. And if you read correctly you would realise that im not saying is accurate, im saying is MORE acurate than GT.

Forza shows much more damage and thats my point, if you crash a againts a wall at 100 mph the result is more similar to Forza than what we have seen in GT.

You never followed a GT development before right? :D

Just a question... why do you think that GT5 demos are so different from the Forza demos? or you expected that kind of demo damage in the final game?

I have followed 4 GT developements closely (3-4-GT PSP and GT5).

For your question: Mostly because Polyphony have lots of time avaible, Turn10 doesnt.

About your video: nice try but you should know that the Ferrari is moving from one side to another like a turtle because is the player can do that to turn the car around (or fool around), same goes for the car standing still.

And yes i expect this kind of damage is very similar to the one in the final game if this is finally release the 2 of november, because theres not much time left.
I HOPE im wrong and they give us a better damage, and most of all you have to understand that my impresions are based in what we have seen instead of promises like "expect perfection".

Word. Doesn't happen as much now, but when it does when you're in first on your last lap....:grumpy:

Lag doesnt count much as glitch.

Last edited:

👍

Didn't know it was lag all along btw (my vid above). My bad, folks.

Visually that was very good but i dont believe for a moment that the game was in simulation setting, clearly is not, after a crash like that the car would be smoaking and quite undriveable, theres no prove at all that the settings are in simulation, i think thats just cosmetic damage.
I have crashed many times online (stupid bastards that CANT drive clean) and il be lucky if my car reach half of the speed after at crash like that.

But whatever, theres not much point to be discussed, i said my opinion, some agree, some dont. Final line is i hope that GT5 end up having much better damage of what we have seen until now, especially in performance damage.

Last edited:
NASCAR damge video.

I hate that front bumper has no sparks when its touching the road. I also hate in all gt games that when you have a low car, you go over bump, no spark come out from the bumer, now with gt5 and damage, the bumper should come off or get dented.

NASCAR damge video.

I hate that front bumper has no sparks when its touching the road. I also hate in all gt games that when you have a low car, you go over bump, no spark come out from the bumer, now with gt5 and damage, the bumper should come off or get dented.

It says private video, can't watch it.

NASCAR damge video.

MAKE PUBLIC NOW!!!!

OR ELSE!!!

lol anyways noxnoctis have you seen it? Is it like that one guy whose camera died right before NASCAR racing started said?

I also hate in all gt games that when you have a low car, you go over bump, no spark come out from the bumer, now with gt5 and damage, the bumper should come off or get dented.

Wrong...

Even in GT3 you could see sparks flying from your car, if you lowered it too far, came in contact with the rumble strips, etc...

I made a hybrid that used the Mercedes CLS as a base, but used the F1 chassis (same dimensions as the Merc chassis), and I made the mistake of lowering it a bit (remember this is an F1 chassis, not the CLS). When it went down the straights (and the downforce kicked in) sparks were flying out of the back like it was on fire. Very spectacular to watch, but not easy to drive.

;)

From what I've been able to see, I have to admit that the damage shown on the Nascar car looked good. Bodypanel deformation also occurred at very low speeds like it should. However it did not seem to be proportional to the crash speed: my impression is that at high speeds it was not enough.
Car glasses didn't seem to suffer from damage, yet.
No chassis deformation apparently visible.

Why did the uploader made the video private??

NASCAR damge video.

public please..! :sly:

NASCAR damge video.

MAKE IT PUBLIC NOW! Please. ;)

sparks at 3:14....

And GT4

2) Even if is real-time, is it doesnt show a damage anywhere near of what should be, it takes someone trashing the car crash after crash to even damage a bit. Plus can you asure me is realtime and not pre rendered damage stages because i think we havent seen much videos of the same car crashing in different angles to say that.

I am really curious to see how this turns out ultimately.

While real time sounds a lot better than canned replacement damage, how much better will it really be?

I would love it if everything was perfectly modeled and measured, like a guard rail's bolts might put two huge gouges in your fender as your scrape past it, or the complicated shape of a cars front end might get imprinted on another cars side panel...

But if what we end up seeing is still canned but calculated a bit more accurately, I won't be terribly impressed... definitely a step in the right direction for GT, but I question exactly how good the damage will be in the end...

I mean will we start seeing damage in one race we recognize from another? Does the calculation of angle and speed basically amount to one of 8 or 9 possible deformations occuring, but not really one that is a sold on solid calcluation?

I dunno... I have seen a lot of Forza bashing for months (years even) and how crappy Forza does something and THAT'S why you take your time and do it right like GT does... but then we get stuff like standard cars still have X trees and stuff...

It seems being first to market as is the case with FM3 makes it easy to paint a target on you and compare to the copetition because the competition at that point exists in the hopes and imaginations of the fans and is thus assumed to be as good as it could possibly be...

If we get there and it turns out GT5s fancy new damage system still suffers the same noteable repetition or unrealistic results as Forza's, just in a different way... what would you say then?

Because looking back over the forum, it seems a lot of vocal supporters who were sure of how great GT5 was going to be kind of dissapeared when news came out they were wrong...

NASCAR damge video.

The video is private....

Why bother posting it? 👎

I think damage in GT5 will be 'the next step' but the PS3, with all the other stuff going on, won't be able to do the system justice.

It's 'the next step' because, apparently, Kaz had PD develop a procedural system to calculate how the impact changes the structure of the panels and will probably be more suited to the next generation of consoles. For now we have to consider that the PS3 is unable to calculate all the parameters that would make such a system shine. No doubt it'll be more effective on the next generation of PlayStation.

In essence, though, the groundwork has been done, it seems.

In regards to Forza 3 though...it's pre-rendered damage system is far from realistic. I mean you only need to bump the back of the car in front and the light cluster smashes etc.

And that's the crux of it really. Neither game, Forza 3 or GT5, will be able to fully implement a realistic cosmetic damage system until consoles have more power.

I don't know guys... concerning damage. I think its part of the sport and should be part of a game that promotes that sport. And since PD says if they do it, they'll do it right...

But i haven't seen anything "right" about it so far...

Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kGf-pIBnIE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10-TkCoVHVs&feature=related

and some games that do it ...right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2kmy-XRLU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L-_eIQ8Dbk&feature=fvw

I mean, i suppose we can all argue that codemasters are not pro simmers in their games, but they do understand and are able to show what racing is about. It shows in their artistic direction (which GT lacks dearly aside from menus). It shows in their replays, in their music, in their cameras and in their damage models. Yes cars don't have 100,000,000 polygones, but damnit, they fly to pieces and you can total a car by going full on in a wall, like in real racing.

Yes you have to start the race over, and i'll be damned if that doesn't teach you to be more careful the next time around. I played and finished GRID on its hardest difficulty, with no flashback and a crash means you're out of the race completely, and a quit means you cancel the series you are in. That teaches you very rapidely that finishing third is perhaps better then NOT AT ALL...

That's what a good and "realistic" (in the sense of, you can total your car) damage system is supposed to do.

that's my opinion. now go on and flame Grid and Dirt and F1 and all Codemaster's ever done... but what they did, is what i want in my GT5.

I don't know guys... concerning damage. I think its part of the sport and should be part of a game that promotes that sport. And since PD says if they do it, they'll do it right...

But i haven't seen anything "right" about it so far...

Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kGf-pIBnIE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10-TkCoVHVs&feature=related

and some games that do it ...right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_2kmy-XRLU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L-_eIQ8Dbk&feature=fvw

I mean, i suppose we can all argue that codemasters are not pro simmers in their games, but they do understand and are able to show what racing is about. It shows in their artistic direction (which GT lacks dearly aside from menus). It shows in their replays, in their music, in their cameras and in their damage models. Yes cars don't have 100,000,000 polygones, but damnit, they fly to pieces and you can total a car by going full on in a wall, like in real racing.

Yes you have to start the race over, and i'll be damned if that doesn't teach you to be more careful the next time around. I played and finished GRID on its hardest difficulty, with no flashback and a crash means you're out of the race completely, and a quit means you cancel the series you are in. That teaches you very rapidely that finishing third is perhaps better then NOT AT ALL...

That's what a good and "realistic" (in the sense of, you can total your car) damage system is supposed to do.

that's my opinion. now go on and flame Grid and Dirt and F1 and all Codemaster's ever done... but what they did, is what i want in my GT5.

Yes, you are right. Codemasters did a great job in games like Dirt and Grid when you consider damage only. But I don't want anything besides damage from these games in GT5.

People seem to forget how the driving physics suck in games like Grid:

Last edited:
Heh

3.jpg

Sorry guys, the video is in private now.

But it was amazing damage so far. the rear of the car bended more easy then front of the car. as well the front of the car, hood bumpers and etc were very damaged. seems the internal damage is off, yet body damage was great to look at. both front wheels were shown after much damage.

Wrong...

Even in GT3 you could see sparks flying from your car, if you lowered it too far, came in contact with the rumble strips, etc...

I made a hybrid that used the Mercedes CLS as a base, but used the F1 chassis (same dimensions as the Merc chassis), and I made the mistake of lowering it a bit (remember this is an F1 chassis, not the CLS). When it went down the straights (and the downforce kicked in) sparks were flying out of the back like it was on fire. Very spectacular to watch, but not easy to drive.

;)

I do know that sparks do fly under the car, but never from the front bumper of the car. as well some cars are so low, when you hit a curb, the bumper should be destroyed, in gt case, they only dissapear into the curb, and only thing hitting the curb is the underside of the car, and not the bumepers, also when gt5 has dammage now, the bumpers should bend or get destroyed when you hit a curb with front end of the car.

Latest Posts

Back