The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
nascar it's a race car, it could be destroyed and however in game likes grid (even if sucks) cars (even road cars like honda nsx) get huge damage, not dynamic.

I don't think some people really understand some things. GT5 will be running in 60fps, 1080p, with 16 cars on track (twice as many as the 'definitive racing game') and are the best looking car models ever seen to date, with the addition of day/night cycles and possible weather. You can only do so many things at once.

I thought weather was confirmed.

Go to amazon, click gt5. Go to manufacturers description(ie Pd).
Dynamic weather changes.

Seems abit of a letdown the way the news has broke, but for me it's confirmed.

Link works, is that the complete damage model, do you think.

I dont think so, if it is then I dont think it was on the most real damage settings.(well I really hope :scared:) Its no mechanical damage from what I could see and it was ALOT of crashing.

I dont know if this was disscused on gtplanet but i will start now :D
After the Enzo Damage Video i was confused because i compaired the WRC damage video with the Enzo Damage video and i could see a big big difference
And after SOME STUPID comments to the Enzo damage video i thought you must do something:D
I looked on the Gran-turismo site and i saw a thread about damage
There i could read that you can choose which level of damage you want
Damage Level 1 2 or 3
I am not sure if this was said here ...

ps:now some members here can stop the stupid comments about the Enza damage video !

This is probably the most recessive thread in GTP right now.

Dynamic procedural damage is in. That in itself is a step forward. Who says that the demo was showing everything and who says that the PS3 can do much more anyway?

Consider what the PS3 is doing around damage. It's like you guys think the PS3 has limitless power.

I don't think some people really understand some things. GT5 will be running in 60fps, 1080p, with 16 cars on track (twice as many as the 'definitive racing game') and are the best looking car models ever seen to date, with the addition of day/night cycles and possible weather. You can only do so many things at once.

You're missing the point totally. The damage already is real-time, It's just a matter of moving one slider, or multiplier further up, so it's more pronounced. There's no mechanical damage in the demo and this lightly accumulating damage is probably an arcade setting. I haven't got a doubt in my mind that damage will be configurable and that there is going to be a realistic setting where one serious crash can end your race. Even if the car never fully stops(if this is manufacturers veto), if you're doing 5mph after a serious crash, it's obvious the race is over for you in any real sense.

NASCAR damage looks impressive, however it's lacking a few things.
The bumper damage seemed pretty realistic, along with the splinter damage.
However the damage to the hood/nose was, like every other damage video we've seen, not heavy enough.
The wall impact in turn 1 should have crumpled his front end in about half the distance of the nose. However it only moved less than a foot or so.

It may be because the damage isn't set for "realism". (As in it's at 6 for the Beta, when you could have cranked it up to 11)

For visual only damage, this is great. The car can't get all smashed up without a wheel and still drive like nothing is wrong, that would be stupid.

I'm not interested in the visual only damage however. I wish they would just show the full damage already. I hope it's a lot more intense than this.

i can't believe there is so much miscommunication from PD on this subject. They release videos which show half-assed features (uncomplete or purposefully toned down) all around, give media demos away where no one seems to be able to get a straight answer from or are under NDA not to reveal anything. Now there's dmg in GT5, which looks close to last gen's attempts... i'm extremely confused.

Once Again, PD demonstrates its inability to communicate to its community. Go Japan Go. *sigh*

I think they did not put in mechanical damage (which they have put in earlier demos) to show the visual damage, otherwise you would only go ~50 mph after the first hit and not be able to do more high-speed hits.

Get my point?

i can't believe there is so much miscommunication from PD on this subject. They release videos which show half-assed features (uncomplete or purposefully toned down) all around, give media demos away where no one seems to be able to get a straight answer from or are under NDA not to reveal anything. Now there's dmg in GT5, which looks close to last gen's attempts... i'm extremely confused.

Exactly what does all this have to do with PDs miscommunication? Having a NDA over what can be shown has always been done with games(Supercar Challenge anyone?). Also, its a demo for goodness sake and its played by people who aren't hardcore sim enthusiasts(if you couldn't tell). Why does everyone want the full thing shown in a demo? Is it that hard to wait until November when the game comes out?

Once Again, PD demonstrates its inability to communicate to its community. Go Japan Go. *sigh*

What the hell is your problem with Japan? Stop blaming them for whats going with PD.

I think they did not put in mechanical damage (which they have put in earlier demos) to show the visual damage, otherwise you would only go ~50 mph after the first hit and not be able to do more high-speed hits.

Get my point?

Agree. I think also the damage of the car seems to be setted to be twice as strong. I hope in full game you can setup how fragile the car is as well.

I dont think so, if it is then I dont think it was on the most real damage settings.(well I really hope :scared:) Its no mechanical damage from what I could see and it was ALOT of crashing.

They arent about to play all the aces, the race-sim\driving game genre is blowing up and theres some steep competition, if GT wants to stay that step ahead they have to keep alot of things Top Top Secret.

Anyone expecting the road cars to get as damaged as that are going to be dissapointed. Damage to road cars in games is HEAVILY dictated by the manufacturers, race cars are less of an issue. So PD must find the balance between keeping some semblence of consistency between the damage models. Games like DiRT and GRiD have nothing but race cars, therefore they can have a more extreme damage model across the board.

Full damage meaning parts detach as well as scratch and deform. We've seen the extent of that on the Enzo. They never said that road cars will be able to be damaged as much as the NASCAR racers for example. They have made distinctions between the damage NASCAR racers will take and other cars though. The cars being premium or not is more regarding the quality of the car model, premium = fully modeled interiors, independently modeled body parts, higher detailed models. The premium cars are the cars scratch built for GT5, that still doesn't influence how much damage a manufacturer will allow the car to take.

19p2tc.gif

Back