The Darts thread

• Thread starter MUSC4EVER
  • 292 comments
World Grand Prix starts tonight in Dublin, no Phil Taylor as I think he is giving this one a miss as part of his retirement.

Michael Van Gerwen won the Grand Slam Of Darts last night beating Peter Wright 16-12 in the final, third Grand Slam trophy in a row for MVG.

2018 PDC World Darts Championship starts tomorrow night from 7pm on Sky.

Well something remarkable happened tonight.

Rob Cross, a debutant in this years PDC World Championship, went all the way to the final and not only beat Phil Taylor in his last ever match but hammered him 7-2, one of the greatest performances you will ever see and an incredible story as he Cross only got his tour in February 2017 and was an unknown this time last year, and now he is World Champion and number three in the World!

What ever the result last night it was going to be a fairy-tail... Cross wins and he's the 1st debutante, Taylor wins and it's his 17th title in his retirement year. In the end, Cross played amazingly well - he out Taylored Taylor :)

I went to the quarters on Friday night (to see Taylor/Anderson, MGV/RVB), and it was an awesome night out. Also went to the AJ/Klitscho fight and the British GP this year (all in corporate), and the boxing was as good as both of those as an experience - the corporate side was no where near as good, but the tickets were only £300 vs £1000. It was very boozy!!

Few pics...

Qllz61W.jpg

CJhGWjZ.jpg

Qp3UIsC.jpg

I'd love to go to the Darts one day, just to experience the atmosphere.

It's well worth going... atmosphere is mega when one of the big boys is playing and they hit big scores/finishes.

Needs more beer.

I'd love to go to the Darts one day, just to experience the atmosphere.
I went to a darts tournament in Edinburgh with my Dad, and MVG was meant to play but he pulled out at the last minute - however the organisers replaced him with Phil Taylor, and everyone in the crowd was delighted. The atmosphere was pretty good to begin with but as the night wore on, some idiots really started to get out of hand and my Dad and I were forced to move from our seats. Fortunately, we got a stroke of luck - I noticed that quite a few seats at the front were empty, so we chanced it and went to sit there instead. It turned out that my best mate's older brother had reserved one of the tables right at the front and invited us to join him, so we had a great seat for the final.

I'd love to see a match at the Lakeside though the PDC would be a great spectacle, but somehow I doubt we'll make the effort to go since we can watch it on TV and save a small fortune on beer!

Needs more beer.

I went to a darts tournament in Edinburgh with my Dad, and MVG was meant to play but he pulled out at the last minute - however the organisers replaced him with Phil Taylor, and everyone in the crowd was delighted. The atmosphere was pretty good to begin with but as the night wore on, some idiots really started to get out of hand and my Dad and I were forced to move from our seats. Fortunately, we got a stroke of luck - I noticed that quite a few seats at the front were empty, so we chanced it and went to sit there instead. It turned out that my best mate's older brother had reserved one of the tables right at the front and invited us to join him, so we had a great seat for the final.

I'd love to see a match at the Lakeside though the PDC would be a great spectacle, but somehow I doubt we'll make the effort to go since we can watch it on TV and save a small fortune on beer!

At one stage, we had 28 full pints on our table - there were 9 of us :D

And our beer was free (well, all you could drink included with the ticket)... as well as some decent food and a few retired players knocking around the tables during dinner.

The Ali Pali is a good venue - massive, but well run - plenty of security, full search on entry for everyone (including corporate) - and I mean a full search (guy even went through the inside of my wallet!). I was kind of expecting there to be at least a bit of trouble - when you have 4,000 men, all pretty pissed up, in one venue, it usually ends up with some aggro. But there was nothing at all... all very good natured.

We're planning next years trip already :)

This was announced after Monday's astonishing final.

Michael Van Gerwen
Gary Anderson
Peter Wright
Raymond Van Barneveld
Rob Cross
Michael Smith
Gerwyn Price
Simon Whitlock
Daryl Gurney
Mensur Suljovic

That's the Premier League line-up for this year, a big shake up this time with only four players there who took part last year. Adrian Lewis is the biggest name to miss out but Wade and Chisnall are also cut. Cross, Gurney, Price and Suljovic all making their debuts.

Lewis had a bad 2017 with a couple of bad injuries meaning he didn't play much over the Summer and then struggled to recapture his form when he came back, has dropped down to 20th in the World. Wade and Chisnall have just gone off the boil.

Glen Durrant successfully defended his BDO title on Sunday by beating Mark McGeeney 7-6 in a brilliant final, Durrant becomes only the fourth player to win successive titles after Bristow, Van Barneveld and Martin Adams, he also scored the first 100+ average at the Lakeside for four years in his QF match.

He has been toying with a move over to the PDC recently, he's 47 so he's not really a young man in this sport so I say he should go for it!

Glen Durrant successfully defended his BDO title on Sunday by beating Mark McGeeney 7-6 in a brilliant final, Durrant becomes only the fourth player to win successive titles after Bristow, Van Barneveld and Martin Adams, he also scored the first 100+ average at the Lakeside for four years in his QF match.
It was a great match - very even up to 4-4, although I thought McGeeney was edging it until he lost the next two. At 6-4 it looked like McGeeney was beaten, but he roared back and set up a classic final set. The game when McGeeney hit two 180s in a row really signalled that he was still in it, and then when he went 2-0 up in the final set, Durrant looked like a broken man. Yet, Durrant showed his class and that 140 check-out was sensational. The final game was quite extraordinary - McGeeney was absolutely nowhere and Durrant won it at a canter. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the worst leg of darts McGeeney had ever played, and yet just a few darts earlier he was throwing for the world title - I bet he can't watch that match back, and yet he was gracious in defeat and I'm sure he will have another crack at it.

The next Darts that's on TV is the PDC Masters which is a weekender on from the 24th Jan on ITV4, after that is the Premier League on Sky which starts on 1st Feb, its was announced today that one of the first matches for that will be Cross v MVG.

Words can't describe just how glad I am this is a thread.

So...do I take it out? It really hurts and maybe won't so much if I do take it out, but I'm concerned that it being in is keeping me from losing a lot of blood.

Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry. :P

It took me about 20 seconds for me to work out what the hell you were talking about.

I don't have pay tv anymore so unfortunately not but I was informed they will be in Brisbane in August, hopefully I can go watch .

The Darting World had some very sad news tonight.

Eric Bristow has passed away aged 60 of a heart attack, he was the first superstar of Darts, putting the sport on the map in the mid-80's winning five World titles, he was also famously Phil Taylor's mentor during his early years.

He was a legendary figure in the World of Darts, and he will sorely be missed.

RIP Eric. :(

Its the Premier League Play-Offs tonight from the O2, Michael Smith v Gary Anderson is up first followed by Van Gerwen v Rob Cross, first to 10 leg matches and the winners play in the final in a best of 21 leg match. on Sky Sports Action from 7pm.

Far out Paul Lim is legend in the World Cup of darts. It’s just a shame the kiwis couldn’t get past him. But taking down the current world champ that’s a great effort.

Loving the Darts this afternoon!, Belgium just knocked England out 2-1, its Netherlands v Germany and Van Gerwen just beat Schindler 4-2 in just eight minutes!

Australia knocked Wales out earlier. :indiff:

What a match we had tonight! Anderson v Cullen in the quarter finals, Anderson hit a NINE DARTER early in the match against the throw, Cullen put up a great fight but Anderson eventually squeaks through 19-17 to the semi finals.

Earlier Jeffrey De Zwaan kept up his impressive run this week by beating Chisnall 16-8, De Zwaan knocked out Van Gerwen in the first round!

Grand slam has been fantastic so far this year. But the game I just witnessed between between Price and Whitlock was something else. Price doesn’t lead the match at any point up until the most important point.

It has been brilliant so far. 👍

A bit of needle between Price and Whitlock, Gerwyn Price does have a habit of getting under other players skins.

A few things to catch up on.

Firstly the last PDC major of the year was the Grand Slam Of Darts and it was won by Gerwyn Price who became the first Welshman to win a PDC major, it was in controversial circumstances however, there was a bit of a tussle between him and fellow finalist Gary Anderson during which Anderson gave Price a little shove, Price does wind up his opponents by his over-celebrating and slow play, he takes a while to get his darts from the board once he has thrown them, there were a few words said by Anderson during the match before the clash, we have yet to know what punishment the players will get if any. Price and Anderson have had a rivalry in the past.

Secondly the last PDC TV title of 2018 was at the weekend at Butlins Minehead, it was the Players Championship Finals and it was won by Daryl Gurney who perhaps surprisingly beat Van Gerwen in the final 11-9, there have been 18 televised PDC tournaments this year, Van Gerwen leads the way with five wins, Anderson not far behind on three.

Thirdly during all this Raymond Van Barneveld announced that he will be retiring, next year will be his last as a pro, Barney is one of the most popular players there has ever been and one of the best with five world titles, he has been in steady decline in the last few years however, his last major came in 2014 when he won the Grand Prix, he has won a few World Cups since then with Van Gerwen.

Fourthly, The draw for the upcoming World Championship was on Monday, its has been expanded this year to 96 players including two female players for the first time since 2009, it looks like the 32 seeded players wont enter until the second round where they will face winners of first round ties, the female players taking part Anastacia Dombramyslova and Lisa Ashton, who could face Simon Whitlock and Mervyn King respectively if they get through. it all starts on December 13th and the final is on New Years Day.

World Darts Championship is underway soon, Sky's coverage has started but no matches yet just talk and analysis, first match of the tournament is Jeffrey De Zwaan v Nitin Kumar and the winner of that will face defending Champion Rob Cross later tonight, Lisa Ashton also in action tonight against Jan Dekker.

World Darts Championship is underway soon, Sky's coverage has started but no matches yet just talk and analysis, first match of the tournament is Jeffrey De Zwaan v Nitin Kumar and the winner of that will face defending Champion Rob Cross later tonight, Lisa Ashton also in action tonight against Jan Dekker.
Best three weeks of the year! Love the PDC World Champs. You will not find a more drama filled TV event than a proper good darts match. Barney v Taylor in the Final of Barneys first PDC World Champs that went to a tie break leg is easily the best thing I have ever watched.

Back