The Dedicated Thread to AWD Drifting

• Thread starter ekmatt9
  • 154 comments
In reference to AWD drifting I am a firm believer that you can countersteer drift and you can drift any AWD car or 4WD car with the correct horsepower and settings. Contrary to popular belief, Its alot of taste in how to drift an AWD some like it with countersteer and some without. There is no better way of setting up these cars but to your own comfort. No one settup will be greater than another unless it is taylored to your specific needs. So dont be afraid to make your own drift settings. I am actually dissapointed in the fact that people do not learn it on there own. I had to, every last bit of it and no matter how many of everyone elses settings I have tried. My own settings prevail all the time. Please people, practice is the only way. I will have video coming soon.

heh, i started paying attention to drifting when i found that i always spun out on turns and i chose a AWD car to counter that. i've found that when i play 2p battle, i've enjoyed passing people on the outside, yet alone facing them while i'm at it! i've made the connection that AWD drive similar to FF cars and that they go through tremendous understeer if you apply too much gas in the middle of the turn, however, i have discovered this!

set your brake controller to 20+ front, 3 back

as you enter a hairpin turn (or any turn for that matter) keep all your speed and brake HARD then floor the gas. i believe this is called a power over? well its proves to be effective because the front wheels pull you along while the rear wheels spin out. you'll notice that you might get really good speeds and that if you do get too much oversteer, it is easily countered with a little bit of countersteering. i left the VCD stock and ASM and TCS to 0.

hope this helps some of you in drifting!

ps: my suspension settings are set to
12.2 and 8.6 in the first area of the suspension tuning menu.
i use it for all of my drifting cars and it serves me well. if i get too much oversteer i just increase the rear stabilizer strength by 1 until i hit something preferable.

pps: this may not be the complete desired effect of some AWD drifters out there XD slamming on the brakes and throttling doesn't work all the time with a very slow entrance speed so i'm looking for another method of inducing oversteer.

BLU7
whats the best AWD car 2 start drifting cuz im having major problems probly cuz of my unique drift style wit FR cars

i believe the HPA R32 is actually a FR car? i read that in some car magazine, they overhaled the drivetrain. if you're one of those people who always watch initial d you might choose your favorite AWD car from there (Evo or the STI6)

personally, i use the WRX STi Type R or the STi 22B

TofuGuyDrift- First of all- welcome to GTP.
Secondly- edit your posts instead of posting twice in a row- the moderators frown upon this so-called "double posting."

Now, about your settings: Are you sure you have the right settings for the brakes? Because I'm thinking that your setup would create much-unwanted understeer(and un-needed).

Oh, and the HPA R32 is AWD in GT4 :)

tofuguydrift-welcome to gtp. to answer your question r33 skyline's wiv 440hp on n1's wiv no lsd or driving aids are good to start off wiv but if that doesn't work try a r34 n1 (carbon hood) on n1's wiv 380hp this is also good!:sly: if nither those work try scoobies ,evo's ,4wd audi's or 3000gt's:idea:

i love drifting skylines... there so easy to drift with.. its the only car where i can get a good nice long drift going... i know people say you cant drift long with it but i can... its fun.... well in my eyes i thot my drifting was good ..i am still a noob but i try heh

TofuGuyDrift
heh, i started paying attention to drifting when i found that i always spun out on turns and i chose a AWD car to counter that. i've found that when i play 2p battle, i've enjoyed passing people on the outside, yet alone facing them while i'm at it! i've made the connection that AWD drive similar to FF cars and that they go through tremendous understeer if you apply too much gas in the middle of the turn, however, i have discovered this!

set your brake controller to 20+ front, 3 back

as you enter a hairpin turn (or any turn for that matter) keep all your speed and brake HARD then floor the gas. i believe this is called a power over? well its proves to be effective because the front wheels pull you along while the rear wheels spin out. you'll notice that you might get really good speeds and that if you do get too much oversteer, it is easily countered with a little bit of countersteering. i left the VCD stock and ASM and TCS to 0.

hope this helps some of you in drifting!

ps: my suspension settings are set to
12.2 and 8.6 in the first area of the suspension tuning menu.
i use it for all of my drifting cars and it serves me well. if i get too much oversteer i just increase the rear stabilizer strength by 1 until i hit something preferable.

pps: this may not be the complete desired effect of some AWD drifters out there XD slamming on the brakes and throttling doesn't work all the time with a very slow entrance speed so i'm looking for another method of inducing oversteer.

most of the time i hold e-brake till 25%of the turn while turning my wheel as far as it can go until i start drifting... the thing is i can drift without getting snapback as often as my fr cars

thanks for the welcome guys!

luftrofl
Now, about your settings: Are you sure you have the right settings for the brakes? Because I'm thinking that your setup would create much-unwanted understeer(and un-needed).

from what i know about drifting, a strong front brake bias will help you throw the weight of the car forward... as for getting the rear wheels to lock and begin slipping, i don't use the e-brake, i use mostly the LSD with a high deceleration and high initial toque (it requires low accel otherwise you'll get traction). recently i've been lazy and have been using the 2-way LSD. it works great on FR cars and i'm seeing the results i'm looking for in my AWD drift.

Tevshaun
most of the time i hold e-brake till 25%of the turn while turning my wheel as far as it can go until i start drifting... the thing is i can drift without getting snapback as often as my fr cars

using the e-brake locks the rear wheels, and i've been trying to achieve similar effects without using the e-brake. my ideal drift is to adjust a little bit of suspension and the LSD. everything stays stock (well of course i change the tires and ASM TCS, brake controller, racing brakes).

with the WRX STi 22B that i use with full customizeable suspension, brake controller, and 2-way lsd, i'm able to brake hard on entry and turn hard (losing traction) and accelerate causing the car to lose more traction. i don't require much countersteering. if you watch the replay, the drift doesn't seem all too showy, but it's still drift and you have a far BETTER exiting speed.

TofuGuyDrift
from what i know about drifting, a strong front brake bias will help you throw the weight of the car forward... as for getting the rear wheels to lock and begin slipping, i don't use the e-brake, i use mostly the LSD with a high deceleration and high initial toque (it requires low accel otherwise you'll get traction). recently i've been lazy and have been using the 2-way LSD. it works great on FR cars and i'm seeing the results i'm looking for in my AWD drift.

Yes, but 20 is way too strong. :)

i dont yet know wether this applys to 4wd cars but high powerd fr cars drift wikid on r1's. its feels just like drifting a 4wd car but the drifts last longer and the tyres also assist the brakes so u dont go flying into the kitty litter if u go to fast into a corner (although plz dont go into a corner at mach 1+ if ur in a competion this doesn't help trust me i did it and lost):nervous: but seriously high powerd fr cars can be tamed 2 drift wen on r1's! :sly:

Hi everyone I have been Drifting FR car's for a while now and I have just gottin into Drifting AWD car's. Im Drifting a 99 Nissan Skyline GT-R MNP.II and it is alot of fun and with a couple of trial run's under my belt I feel it's easy to control the car and the drift then FR car's.

Skyline is perhaps the single easiest AWD car to drift. Anyways, I'd be up for that tandem battle, but I don't have a router so I can't play online =(

easiest way to make GT-R to oversteer is 938bhp (Gran turismo GT-R, like the pace car, but no lights) R3's in front and R1's at rear, and then some suspension tweaks. power over is available on first three gears. after than, weight-shifting helps.

The HPA R32 is a pretty ez car to drift with, and it's not too expensive either.

Or.. You can go play the Real Circuit Tours and Win a nicer lookng R34.. One that is "Gran Turismo's Edition" and has Flashy Light :D

Or.. You can go play the Real Circuit Tours and Win a nicer lookng R34.. One that is "Gran Turismo's Edition" and has Flashy Light :D

Not entirely related, as the HPA R32 is a tuned VW Golf :dunce:

AWD = all four wheels are powered at all times (usually with some sort of traction control, or LSD)
4WD = 2 wheels are powered (usually rear wheels) until you engage the other two making it AWD...

nah dude... just different ways of abrieviation... different car companies call there 4wd/awd system different things depending on what they think is gonna make the car appear superior to the buyers market i guess.

theres cars that have full time 4wd and theres cars that have full time awd.. its the same thing.

nah dude... just different ways of abrieviation... different car companies call there 4wd/awd system different things depending on what they think is gonna make the car appear superior to the buyers market i guess.

theres cars that have full time 4wd and theres cars that have full time awd.. its the same thing.

That kind of confuses me.. Im thinking that he is just stating that AWD is all wheels...so like a Subaru Impreza STi for instance. then we have 4wd Drive, a Toyota Tundra or Tacoma comes 4wd. Those might be examples because the Tundra series are RWD, so is the Tacoma series..

Ske
Not entirely related, as the HPA R32 is a tuned VW Golf :dunce:

oops, my bad :dunce:, right now, im using low powered AWDs simply because the car slides toward the outside at a fast speed. For example, I am using rally cars :D, but that's like a giveaway drift right? No, I don't mean Off-road drift, I actually like AWD drifting its so easy and fun to do. I'm going to go try to drift an Escudo later. Haha, "see you in the hospital" :ouch:

I never knew awd drifting was actually a task. I'd have to say its the easiest thing to drift other than MR for me. I just cant drift FR's lol. ( If you've ever played with me on xlink you know )

a good 4wd to start would be the impreza because i find the evo has a little bit of a harder time starting the drift. i started with a 95 but i suggest the 98 or 22b. dont worry about any type of downforce or lsd at all ( so dont put on a stupid spoiler or lsd )

try a low, soft suspension with a rear camber of around 3, put the control so that most of the power is going to the back, and use n2's on both. with this you'll probably want around 400-450 hp with all the weight reductions. you'll also want to have all the best things for the gearbox. oh ya, and no aids ( I would get you my setup but im too lazy to get on my ps2, lol)

once you get on the track ( i suggest trail mountain ) when you are coming to a turn either weight shift and ebrake or turn hard and ebrake then step on it. you dont have to worry about putting to much power like fr's. just go all out and it will carry istelf through. you also might want to use the ebrake mid-drift if you need a little more of an angle. still dont worry about control because it is pretty hard to lose control with the setup, be agressive with it.

If you want too see how i drift watch the first part of my second vid. i couldn't find a good filetype so its a bit grainy but my next vid will be divx to fix that. anyways, i hope ive been of some help. :dopey: happy drifting :D

Know what's Hilarious? I'm tuning a RANGE STORMER.. HAHA It's so hard to drift...simply because its minimum height is 185 mm. Sad.. so I set the spring rate to almost the lowest to compesate. At Least i'll get good body roll though. I'm also planning to make it look like a Hot wheels vehicle by raisingthe rear relly high and the front really low :D. I already did that with the Buick Special. Its back was so low and the front was so high. and I cambered the rear to the MAX. so it looked like a toy and it could'nt perform any good., but that's obvious...

after a small time of not posting i think ill start here. i have made 2 great drift cars a impreza and r32 both stock with n2 rear and n3 front they are great drift cars min counter steer, i wish i had the stuff to put the video i have on here but the only thing i will say is who thinks drifting awd is better than rwd? i do :)

Know what's Hilarious? I'm tuning a RANGE STORMER.. HAHA It's so hard to drift...simply because its minimum height is 185 mm. Sad.. so I set the spring rate to almost the lowest to compesate. At Least i'll get good body roll though....

Actually, A smaller spring rate made the car lean more throwing more momentum allowing the car to slide more which is EASIER drifting (for a 4WD), only problem is that the big jeep doesn't accelerate fast, meaning it won't get good wheelspin.

AWD = all four wheels are powered at all times (usually with some sort of traction control, or LSD)
4WD = 2 wheels are powered (usually rear wheels) until you engage the other two making it AWD...;)

That quote from delphic brought up something that was bodering me for sometimes...

In real life... is it true that the Subaru Impreza WRX STI or any impreza model is actually a 4wd,... wich means that it is not giving power with all 4 wheels at the start... that the full 4wd will actually engage later on during a constant speed ??

Can any 1 answer me or clarify this ?!?

Also, i have purchased a original suspension kit for my skyline gtr34 n1... and it doesnt allow me to modify the front/rear spring rate... do i need the racing suspension kit (the highest at nismos tuning shop) or should my original kit bought in the tuning village should be able to do it ???

Thx !
Akira !!!

That quote from delphic brought up something that was bodering me for sometimes...

In real life... is it true that the Subaru Impreza WRX STI or any impreza model is actually a 4wd,... wich means that it is not giving power with all 4 wheels at the start... that the full 4wd will actually engage later on during a constant speed ??

Can any 1 answer me or clarify this ?!?

Also, i have purchased a original suspension kit for my skyline gtr34 n1... and it doesnt allow me to modify the front/rear spring rate... do i need the racing suspension kit (the highest at nismos tuning shop) or should my original kit bought in the tuning village should be able to do it ???

Thx !
Akira !!!

if you want to mess with your front/rear spring rate then yes you do need the racing suspension kit. if you dont really need to modify that then go ahead and use the original.

if you want to mess with your front/rear spring rate then yes you do need the racing suspension kit. if you dont really need to modify that then go ahead and use the original.

heum ok... but why is that the original kit, wich can only be bought at the tuning village, cant do something offered by a cheaper peace of equipment ???

cuz i've tried all the settings needed to drift but the only ones that i cant is that spring rate sets... so i was wondering why this highest kit of suspension cant offer something that a lower kit would ?!?!?

Thx for replying btw !

I haven't checked to see what the deal is with the R34 N1, but in any case I've tried you can definitely adjust spring rates with the both the racing and the original suspension.

The difference between the two is that the original suspension can let you set a lower ride height and stiffer spring rates, but you cant adjust the rate of damping independently for the bound and rebound phase - instead you're given a single shock absorber adjustment.

Racing suspension has a higher ride height, softer max spring rate, but does give the option of setting damper bound and rebound independently.

edit:
I just bought the N1, purchased original and racing suspension, and both sets were more than happy to allow me to adjust the spring rates.

I couldn't avoid making a video to illustrate... :P

Man thx Boundary !!!

Seriously i was enjoying this site already... but now i am overwhelmed to get such replys !!! thx so much !! :bowdown:

Im off to go buy a racing suspension to allow me to play with my bound rebound settings... but i still find this to be weird that on the original suspension you cant play with those settings !!! :lol:

But again thx so much and ill sure be participating allot in any threads that i read.. i am now getting more and more the "twist" to drift on a long surface and gain control... getting some snap backs from time to time but ill fix this prety soon i guess !!! 👍

P.S.: I have the same exact car that u showed on the video but i dont have the carbon hood... it is the N1 just like urs... but i bought it used... its a v-spec N1 99 Skyline.... the car that all of you guyz keeps on talkin about is it the same but with a carbon hood and '00 ???? am i right or am i complety out of subject here ?!?!?! :confused:

Back