The Dedicated Thread to AWD Drifting

• Thread starter ekmatt9
  • 154 comments
well im kinda like a 'noob' wen it comes 2 the VCD, how do u set it so it goes to the back wheels? in the breifing it says stuff like '0 front - 100 rear' or '100 front - 0 rear' but it only lets me set it to 10 to 50, is 50 most 2 the bak wheels?

First, a quote to steer you in the right direction in one area:
AUP
No slang words that promote laziness, ie; "r", "u", "plz", etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums.
And then the advice to steer you in the right direction in the VCD tuning. The text that says that you can direct 100% of the power either to the front or to the rear is rubbish, the limits are 10% to 50% to the front and 50% to 90% to the rear.

The slider indicates the percentual amount of power going to the front wheels, so if you set it to 15% the power delivery will be 15/85 and so on.

- R -

well im kinda like a 'noob' wen it comes 2 the VCD, how do u set it so it goes to the back wheels? in the breifing it says stuff like '0 front - 100 rear' or '100 front - 0 rear' but it only lets me set it to 10 to 50, is 50 most 2 the bak wheels?

Why would you want to do that.. Just get an FR if you want power to come from the rear

Hi everyone, I am struggling to get my Mitsubishi Ev 8 MR GSR that is 4WD which is drift around corners. I have fitted it with N1 tires and turned the aids off. I have not customized my suspension settings and neither the torque distributor.
Pls help
Thanks in advance

Hi everyone, I am struggling to get my Mitsubishi Ev 8 MR GSR that is 4WD which is drift around corners. I have fitted it with N1 tires and turned the aids off. I have not customized my suspension settings and neither the torque distributor.
Pls help
Thanks in advance

Well, unfortunately, cars in GT4 (especially certain vehicles, and AWD's) exhibit unrealistic amounts of understeer. The only way around this is to stagger the tires. For instance, a 450hp Evo would do well with N2's in front, and N1's in back. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

;)

Or, as it's an Evo, you can run N2s front and rear then crank the AYC to max, torque split to 90% rear, then go to max stiffness on the suspension and slam it. Crude but very effective.

Or, as it's an Evo, you can run N2s front and rear then crank the AYC to max, torque split to 90% rear, then go to max stiffness on the suspension and slam it. Crude but very effective.

Very crude.

I wouldn't personally recommend such. The GT series is, after all, about simulating real world driving/racing. Therefore, a realistic approach is usually the best method to achieve realistic results.

;)

Yet in truth, the maximum spring rates are quite soft compared to what is available in the real world. ;)

1 kg/mm = 56 lb-in. So at a spring rate of 18 kg/mm, we have 1000 lb-in springs. Far too stiff for street use, but softer than many a set of race coils in, say, Tein's catalog.

Yet in truth, the maximum spring rates are quite soft compared to what is available in the real world. ;)

1 kg/mm = 56 lb-in. So at a spring rate of 18 kg/mm, we have 1000 lb-in springs. Far too stiff for street use, but softer than many a set of race coils in, say, Tein's catalog.

While you are correct, this doesn't justify dropping the car to the ground, raising the spring rate to maximum all around, setting the AYC to the maximum setting, AND setting the VCD so nearly all the power goes to the rear wheels. While this may offer up some kind of result bordering on positive, this setup is far to rudimentary to offer anything resembling the "sweet spot" as it were. The settings are too "end of the spectrum" and don't allow for any subtlety, or focus at all on real world tuning.

However, this is just a game, and thus everyone is free to play around in whatever way they deem entertaining. I'm just trying to give advice that will get "The Most" out of a vehicle.

;)

Oh, yes, but the entire point wasn't to get the best out of it... It was to make it slide good enough to grab some good pics and make me feel good that I could hold angles.

Come to think of it, AYC may not have been maxed.

But yes, your point does stand. And I've gone to RWD for drifting, so that car is either sold or gathering dust anyhow.

Oh, yes, but the entire point wasn't to get the best out of it... It was to make it slide good enough to grab some good pics and make me feel good that I could hold angles.

Come to think of it, AYC may not have been maxed.

But yes, your point does stand. And I've gone to RWD for drifting, so that car is either sold or gathering dust anyhow.

You must understand, however, this isn't about you. I was giving advice to Sriram95, to try and help him/her in a tried and true realistic (to a point) approach.

;)

i tried a lancer with maxxed AYC, my god it's like pivoting half the time. Felt like the unrealistic Drifting arcade games nowadays...

I have been trying to drift lately because I'm tired of taking corners by braking I want a little more tire smoke. I have a subaru impreza super touring car '01 and when I try to drift it slows down to about 20mph and stops drifting please help.

^That Impreza isn't a 4WD, it's an FR...

I'm guessing that you're spinning the wheels, and they stop being effective at pushing the car along, so it slows down. I know it's crude, but setting the TCS at 1 is a decent band-aid for the problem. That said, there's no substitute for throttle control, and you should develop it. But, while you're still learning the car control, it's okay to use TCS.

Though, not everyone agrees with me here...

i use 1 TCS only for any LeMans i feel like sliding around at high speed. the only downfall to ever TCS 1 with it is that once you steer in, you cant steer out, nor can you do a sharp drift.

But i remember i used to use 1 TCS for RWD's , but since the front wheels of a 4wd are existent, TCS is no longer needed. a staggerd tire setup with 0 TCS is a great way to get newbies hyped up to drift around in the game itself.

I have been drifting the subaru impreza rally car '03 fully modded with a ballast weight in the back. It's pretty good well atleast I'm impressed.:drool::P:lol::cheers: I just noticed the [more] button under the smiles:lol::dunce::eek:^That Impreza is a 4WD car

^That Impreza isn't a 4WD, it's an FR...

I'm guessing that you're spinning the wheels, and they stop being effective at pushing the car along, so it slows down. I know it's crude, but setting the TCS at 1 is a decent band-aid for the problem. That said, there's no substitute for throttle control, and you should develop it. But, while you're still learning the car control, it's okay to use TCS.

Though, not everyone agrees with me here...

Though, not everyone agrees with me here...Nevermind about the other subaru impreza and besides I thought all subarus are 4wd. Have you not seen their commercials the dude says that 4wd is standard FYI if you have the car go look at the type because your wrong it is a 4wd car!!! I have n1 tires in the back and n2s up front. And I don't go for big angles!

:nervous: I was thinking of the JGTC Impreza, not the Touring Car. My mistake.

I'm basically out of ideas, then. Either you're striving for impossibly high angles on impossibly grippy tires, and the grip is counteracting the car's momentum...

Or, you're just cursed. :rolleyes:

Either way, I wouldn't suggest drifting with an inherently-much-too-grippy racecar if you've not got much experience. The standard Subarus are good, and the Mitsubishi Evos, when given high AYC settings, are nearly magic.

EDIT: Meh, some random car-talk. Yes, all production Subarus do now have standard 4WD, even their weak Kei car, the R2. But, the JGTC Impreza is FR because 4WD systems are heavy, typically too heavy for racing. Either way, though, please calm down. I apologize for the mistake I made, but you need not use both a trio of exclamation points and two bouts of bold text.

I like drifting in fr but currently I have been using a skyline and I love it I can pull off some really long drifts or short drifts with big angles.

Skylines can do an extremely long drift. I can run them through the oval , both turns

if you want i'll post the settings here for you

R34 Skyline (made to drift on the Oval)

Buy Racing exhaust,chip, flywheel, intercooler, 3plate, driveshaft, N3's, stage 5 turbo

Springs 5.8
ride 82
shock 3
camber 3/1
toe -1
stabs 2
Initial 5/10
Accel 20/25
decel 5
VCD 10
Trans, just set to auto 11.
asm understeer 5
brakes 10/20

these are really old settings... i just played with it and i can still do it.

keep your speed in the big curve around 200-210 Km/h and 165-180 km/h in the small

Done... go practice

*for AWD drift i was using Subaru Legacy Wagon-Full tune(all best tuning parts)...
p/s: the reason i choose that wagon is because the weight balance is good and favour in feint-drift alot...:)

-sport S tyre
-90% power to rear tyre
-suspension:
*spring rate: F=11.1 R=9.9
*Damping rate: F= bump:4 rebound:8
R= bump:2 rebound:10
*All e-aid turned off
*chamber setup: F:1.1degree
R: 2.2degree

#the results is superb.....ermm..maybe if able to learn how to load the replay into somewhere for all to see....

Hey i have quite a few drift cars lol
But i just bought a used AWD R32 Skyline and I cant seem to get the settings for it. I use the DFP btw. Can anyone help me??

The same suspension guidelines that most people agree with (stiff front + soft rear = oversteer at corner entry) still hold true

i know this thread is a bit old, but i use the complete opposite setup for all my cars, my front Spring Rate it 4.0 or 5.0 and my rear is 9.5 (IV WRX STI) and i can drift perfectly fine in it

just wondering, how come you'd have the rear soft and the front hard?

i know this thread is a bit old, but i use the complete opposite setup for all my cars, my front Spring Rate it 4.0 or 5.0 and my rear is 9.5 (IV WRX STI) and i can drift perfectly fine in it

just wondering, how come you'd have the rear soft and the front hard?

Reality would dictate a stiff rear (as opposed to the front) would increase oversteer...

However, GT4 has some glaring physics issues, and sometimes we have to do things a bit different to get around said flaws.

Another example would be the use of mixed tires (different compounds for front/back) to get around the unrealistic amount of understeer (very popular for AWD drifting in particular).

;)

Back