The Dedicated Thread to AWD Drifting

• Thread starter ekmatt9
  • 154 comments
@AkiraSan: As far as I know the two cars are the same in GT4, apart from the look of the hood. Even the weight is the same, indicating that the carbon hood is purely a comsetic, and nothing more :sly:

In real life, there might have been a slight chassis improvement or some change to the ATTESSA or N1 engine components. So few were produced that it's hard to find any solid info on them.

edit:
heh, sorry NK. I might have normally, but WDS10 has got my immediate attention.

Alright thx BL...

I see that there is alot of ppl online around this hour... ive been around all day (specially this morning ) and no body was there its pretty ammazing that now there is so much action around the site !!!

Is the bound rebound and absorber very important ??? cuz for now i dont see any changes while trying to do some drift and changing those settings....

Maybe its just me... im still too much of a noob !!!

okay...
Found the answer.

The 99 N1 is based on the 99 R34 GTR V-Spec. The '00 N1 is based on the '00 R34 GTR V-SpecII. The difference between the V-Spec and V-SpecII is the change to a carbon fibre hood complete with a low drag NACA air inlet on the '00.
(the CF hood is painted in the case of the non-N1 V-SpecII)

That should have been immediately obvious to me simply based on the names of the cars in-game.

edit: changes to bound and rebound settings are most apparent when entering or exitting a turn, or running over curbs. You wont really feel them in action during a drift, when weight transfer is (for the most part) static.

LOL ! Well thx for the info !!!!

All that i knew was that N1 engine was released for the first time on the r34 '99 model but i wasnt sure about the difference in the game for those 2... but again thx to you BL...

1 more thing...
I was wondering if my N2 tires are to slippery... i cant get to have the kind of grip that i need when im drifting... i mean its nice and easy to start the actual drift... but when u try to drive back the opposite way, the car seems to deliberatly slide in the same direction and hit the wall instead of gripping onto the road to leave the curve the way u were sideways'ly going while drifting... ( if ne1 understood what i tried to say there... :ill: )...

Should i keep on trying with my N2 tires or go back and work my drifting on my sports tires ?!?

Im using the exact same settings in the Drift Setting Depot for my '99 Skyline V-Spec N1 (R34)...

Any one have any advice for that ? Should i stick with my N2 tires or any other suggestion for the tires or comments on the settings given in the depot i just mentioned !?!?!?

(actually, there were R32 and R33 N1's. The R34 GTR's RB26DETT's block is the same as the ones used in the R33 N1's - thanks Wikipedia :sly:)

If I understood everything correctly, the trouble you've described is in my opinion one of the large differences between drifting AWD's and FR's in GT4. I don't really have any tried and true solution for you - I don't drift AWDs all that often.

But I'd suggest a little experimenting with your throttle usage while you're trying to exit the drift. Some cars need a little juice to get the front wheels to help pull the car straight (Golf R32)... others just spin out when you try it (Evo VIII MR). I'm not sure what grouping the GTR's with their ATTESA fit in to.

But I'd suggest a little experimenting with your throttle usage while you're trying to exit the drift. Some cars need a little juice to get the front wheels to help pull the car straight (Golf R32)... others just spin out when you try it (Evo VIII MR). I'm not sure what grouping the GTR's with their ATTESA fit in to.

You see, i am having a little problem with that actually... ive been trying to do this with the X button... but i cant manage to give the proper amount of gaz... so i forced myself to use the 🤬 analog stick...

Well i've been surprised how easy it is to start ure drift and how the stick really lets u play the way you want with the throttle in and out of the curves... But when comes the time to pull that e-brake or press the triangle to reverse while doin a 360... its getting a bit anoying to jump from the b-pad to the stick.... maybe i just need some practice... but i do find it to be arsh to e-brake... give back some gas, a bit more on e-brake, back on gas... and not all the way to the floor... but carefully to give the proper torque to avoid a snap back and to be able to go back in the right way...

Btw my drifting performance increased alot by switching my N2 tires to my regular S2 for my 4wd(to get back in the subject a little), so for anyone who was having that kind of problem like i mentionned in a previous reply... i recomand for all of you 4wds drifters to switch to some more gripping rubber cuz the N2 tires are so complicated to manage ur drift properly... i was always thrown away to the side walls...

If any could answer me this... i did a lap in 1.39min for trial montain (normal) by drifting my way till the end... This is my best time trial for a drift race with a 4wd... its far from being good... but i was curious to know what r your chronos for that track while drifting... and with wich car....

For myself... like you must have red previously... i am driving a Skyline Vspec N1 '99... so i would really enjoy to know what your times are and with wich car... i would also like to know the same info for el capitan... just to know how far from a good drift race i am !!!

Oh yeah... one last thing... i saw that new video of yours guys... the new IDM movie... How do you get to play together ??? Over the internet ? Or you just live nearby and your all in the same house or something !?!

Btw my drifting performance increased alot by switching my N2 tires to my regular S2 for my 4wd(to get back in the subject a little), so for anyone who was having that kind of problem like i mentionned in a previous reply... i recomand for all of you 4wds drifters to switch to some more gripping rubber cuz the N2 tires are so complicated to manage ur drift properly... i was always thrown away to the side walls...

If any could answer me this... i did a lap in 1.39min for trial montain (normal) by drifting my way till the end... This is my best time trial for a drift race with a 4wd... its far from being good... but i was curious to know what r your chronos for that track while drifting... and with wich car....

I use N1s all around for the R34s personally... I find it's hard to DRIFT properly with S tires, maybe we put a different meaning to the word? If you're slamming into walls with N2's you're entering way too fast... Enter quite slowly (until you learn how to manage long sliding entries), brake to set up your angle and use power to drift through the turn.

Not a lot of people around here seem to record lap times while drifting (or even race drift for that matter), so don't get your hopes up... As for cars, all I've noticed is that the V-spec seems more capable of oversteer than the M-spec. I'm using a '99 V-spec with around 400 HP and stock everything else personally, it's one of the easiest AWD drift cars I've come across.

.. And the multiple cars in the IDM intro are edited in ;)

Ske
Not a lot of people around here seem to record lap times while drifting (or even race drift for that matter), so don't get your hopes up... As for cars, all I've noticed is that the V-spec seems more capable of oversteer than the M-spec. I'm using a '99 V-spec with around 400 HP and stock everything else personally, it's one of the easiest AWD drift cars I've come across.
well, I always record my laptime but then again,its me... but as for the AWD drifting, I haven't tried the V-spec yet, I never got around to it.I might check it out once I am home.

well, I always record my laptime but then again,its me... but as for the AWD drifting, I haven't tried the V-spec yet, I never got around to it.I might check it out once I am home.

Could you tell me some of your lap time and with wich car u dit it with for trial mountain or el capitan !!!! Plz..... ! I would appreciate....

If any one else has that kind of info would be great aswell !!!

Thx ! :sly:

but isn't true that when you drift with a awd car it tries to power on or it likes to have a little understeer?

Ideally, if you set up the VCD and LSD right, it should have understeer on full throttle and slight oversteer on partial throttle... and heavy oversteer on braking. That way, if you get the entry right you should be able to glide through corners using just the throttle (brakes needed for tightening dual apexes)

To set it up like this, theoretically you want quite a bit of torque going to the front (I actually like as much as 50% here), and you want the LSD to lock the rear wheels quicker than the front. Again, in theory, that would mean setting up the LSD something like this:

Initial: lower/higher (10/30)
Accel: lower/higher (20/50)
Decel: off/higher (5/50)

In this example it's got a pretty slack 1-way at the front, and a pretty strong 2-way in the rear.. this should allow the front to remain unlocked on braking or partial throttle, but lock up and provide understeer when flooring it.

Sweet. You just answered the question I was gonna post here.
I started drifting a r32 skyline last night and quite enjoyed it, but wasnt sure how the LSD should be. I eventually left the LSD stock though.

I was especially confused about the VCD though, so I'll give that a go tonight.
Mine was set to 25% front.

*ahem* guilty on the countersteering charges :(

Actually I did manage to save one awesome replay on autumn ring - drifted every corner , lots of linking, zero countersteer and smoke pouring.

I will give it another go tonight though.

Could you tell me some of your lap time and with wich car u dit it with for trial mountain or el capitan !!!! Plz..... ! I would appreciate....

If any one else has that kind of info would be great aswell !!!

Thx ! :sly:

Lap time- 1'55 Stock AMuse S2000

IMHO, GT-R doesn't need LSD or VCD to drift. it's all about suspension setup and power level. for example, my 394bhp R32 V-Spec II drifts nicely with S2's and S3's, not to mention N-Class tyres.

IMHO, GT-R doesn't need LSD or VCD to drift. it's all about suspension setup and power level. for example, my 394bhp R32 V-Spec II drifts nicely with S2's and S3's, not to mention N-Class tyres.

well, isn't that a bit much also N2's for a R32?? but thats my IMO

I don't think the power level is overkill in any way, after all the GT-R is a heavy car and the S3 tyres have lots of grip so it undoubtedly needs some grunt to break the grip.

- R -

Ske
Ideally, if you set up the VCD and LSD right, it should have understeer on full throttle and slight oversteer on partial throttle... and heavy oversteer on braking. That way, if you get the entry right you should be able to glide through corners using just the throttle (brakes needed for tightening dual apexes)

To set it up like this, theoretically you want quite a bit of torque going to the front (I actually like as much as 50% here), and you want the LSD to lock the rear wheels quicker than the front. Again, in theory, that would mean setting up the LSD something like this:

Initial: lower/higher (10/30)
Accel: lower/higher (20/50)
Decel: off/higher (5/50)

In this example it's got a pretty slack 1-way at the front, and a pretty strong 2-way in the rear.. this should allow the front to remain unlocked on braking or partial throttle, but lock up and provide understeer when flooring it.

I gotta try this lsd thing. I can drift perfect without it but you guys seem to like it so i wanna to see how it feels. if its easier or not as easy.

the guy with the n2's on the r32 has the right idea but probably the wrong power. id say n2's for around 300-350hp and n3's for 400-500hp. i used to drift my 22b 450hp with n2's but couldn't get much grip around the faster or sharper corners. when i put on the n3's it made a world of a difference.

the guy with the n2's on the r32 has the right idea but probably the wrong power. id say n2's for around 300-350hp and n3's for 400-500hp. i used to drift my 22b 450hp with n2's but couldn't get much grip around the faster or sharper corners. when i put on the n3's it made a world of a difference.

I suggest trying out before saying a thing. R32 has tremendous level of grip despite the fact that most of the power goes to the rear tyres, and you have to get pretty harsh with it to make it drift even with around 400bhp.

I suggest trying out before saying a thing. R32 has tremendous level of grip despite the fact that most of the power goes to the rear tyres, and you have to get pretty harsh with it to make it drift even with around 400bhp.

i have tried it, and with n3's. it was a little while ago but i still remember it being a little on the stiff side and a little hard to start but not impossible. i keep most of cars around 450hp so i guess the extra 50hp makes a difference

it's not the hp, but the torque that matters, like any V8 lover could tell..

nice smart a$$ response, lol. i know its the torque that matters im not stupid. but common sense knows that the more hp you put into an engine will no doubt raise the torque also. i mostly use the hp because thats what is shown first.

( I dont get what you mean by saying "like any v8 lover could tell". i can only assume that you are either a v8 lover yourself or that you mean to say i should know because im american. but i do love v8's very very very much :D )

:D well, I like V8's when they deliver atleast 100bhp per litre.. (AUDI) but never mind, let's get back on topic.

Being hopeless at drifting, it was only by accident that I came across this. I've found that quattro TTs are awesome fun to drift. They're also easy. This is just from my experience, and I haven't driven an STi.

Yap, don't expect to drift AWD with big angles.
You can execute short drifts with big angles but for example, don't even think about going 45 degrees + when you're doing apricot hill turn 6.

Okay i tried the turn 6 with some angle. I'm not really concerned about the 45degree angle thing. I jsut have a hard time sustaining the drift because the car wants to stabilize itself. I already have both stabs on 2.

BTW, If i wanted to shorten the width of my turn would i just decrease throttle instead of turning in even more?

Being hopeless at drifting, it was only by accident that I came across this. I've found that quattro TTs are awesome fun to drift. They're also easy. This is just from my experience, and I haven't driven an STi.
Quattros are easy and high in Torque, (especially the LeMans Quattro).
Try an Impreza as well (the old imprezas like '99). I tried to make a ghost Tandem race with my Impreza Sti 22 B-Coupe and Lancer VI GSR TME. My TME on Apricot Forwards. I must have fluked my impreza's big first turn cuz it slid from the first to the second linked together, but i cant seem to do that with my lancer. I've found that for one thing My lancer's a sedan it has more understeer and went into the turn much fast than the impreza. Results were either going too fast and hitting the dirt or was too slow and could not link the 2 turns into 1 drift.

-> Hi, I'm new in this thread but I would like to share my AWD drifting experience.

-> This is my primary championship car, I've used this car in most of the leagues in GT4 that the league permits, all I do with this car was to go sideways and now its my primary drift car. This car was supposed to be un-tunable, but after I made a run at Deep Forest the car was a miracle and that was history.

64b.jpg

^ I got a lot of nicknames of this beauty:

- "Trophy Car"
- "Zero-counter master"
- "Primary Drift Car"
- "D 22-B"

(:

I think all you great and upcoming awd drifters are amazing it's hard for me to drift a aws machine with my dfp and here I see lots of people doing it good job awd drifters!!!

-> Hi, I'm new in this thread but I would like to share my AWD drifting experience.

-> This is my primary championship car, I've used this car in most of the leagues in GT4 that the league permits, all I do with this car was to go sideways and now its my primary drift car. This car was supposed to be un-tunable, but after I made a run at Deep Forest the car was a miracle and that was history.

64b.jpg

^ I got a lot of nicknames of this beauty:

- "Trophy Car"
- "Zero-counter master"
- "Primary Drift Car"
- "D 22-B"

(:
VB, I know its been awhile but try using imageshack

Back