The Easiest Ways to Make Money in Gran Turismo 7

• Thread starter Famine
  • 692 comments
Based on your response, am I to understand that Online racing doesn't factor into your consideration at all?
Given the somewhat minimal rewards for doing so, it doesn't seem to factor into the game design and economy at all.

That said, I have always said that if you want to direct people to online play (in Sport, a game built on the foundations of online play) it should be incentivised with higher rewards than offline play.

If you have been playing since GT1, you have a short term memory. Collecting all cars has been a tedious task in the past as well. I remember collection over 1000 cars in GT 5, which took forever. Some cars were only available at the 2nd hand car lot and you would have to check every day, even if you had enough credits. I even used an external site to keep track of the cars I had and needed. GT5 had the longest time till platinum with 750 Hours approx needed.
Yes, GT5 was very much the standard bearer for what was to come - although thankfully its level-locking of cars has never been repeated.

However it was very much a lurch in the direction of grinding to a level never seen before in the GT series; previous games were nowhere near as bad on that front.

Incidentally, GT5 was - eventually - nowhere near the longest game in terms of acquiring Platinum; you could practically rocket through the hardest ones (reaching Lv40 in A-Spec, and B-Spec, and raising a Bob with 500 races) pretty easily with Seasonals and a Beginner Course grind. I've seen the 750-hour estimate on the trophy sites, but with the Seasonals in play it's just plain wrong.

GT Sport's three main Sport Mode trophies require a minimum of 108 hours of actual play (of just Daily Race A, if you're really going for it), and the single most effective method of raising your driver level to 50 requires more than 60 hours - although you will gain experience from doing the Sport Mode races and all the other events in the game, which will offset some of that cost. Figure on at least 150 hours just for these trophies. Edit: 229 hours for a "speedrun" :lol: .

For direct comparison, it takes 130 hours to raise your driver level from 42 to the maximum 50 (and a gold trophy) in GT Sport. It'd take 17 hours to raise your GT5 level from 0 to the maximum 40 (and a silver trophy).

Of course GT5 is now impossible to Platinum, and GT Sport soon will be too.

GT4 was not that big, but still needed something like 250 hours to platinum.
You couldn't "platinum" GT4. It predates PSN Trophies by more than four years. In fact it predates PSN by 15 months.

But, and this is pretty crucial, there was enough game there to account for doing everything just once and getting access to pretty much all the content. Grinding - which people did, mainly at Costa di Amalfi, for the sellable prize car (which is no longer a thing) - was more or less optional to get stuff you wanted rather than stuff you needed to complete the game.

In GT4 you could hit 100% in 774 game days without repeating anything, with 500-ish different races. In GT Sport your best approach to hitting 100% (the Platinum trophy) requires you to run the same race nearly 300 times (less any inroads you make in the rest of the gameplay... figure on at least 150). In GT7 it looks like it'll be upped to 500 - although we don't entirely know what's required for "Three Legendary Cars", so that's just an estimate on top of a guess.

For GT1 through GT4, grinding was what you did after you reached 100% if you wanted more stuff. In GT5, and GT6, and GT Sport, and now GT7, grinding is mandatory to complete the game in the first place.

Last edited:
This is just me, but I never see it as grinding. It is driving cars, the credits are a by-product and build in the background over time for me.

Just how I look at it though and I like to mix it up for variety so maybe it doesn't feel grind-y to me.

This is just me, but I never see it as grinding. It is driving cars, the credits are a by-product and build in the background over time for me.

Just how I look at it though and I like to mix it up for variety so maybe it doesn't feel grind-y to me.
By the raw definition in gaming terms - repeatedly running the same "level" in order to more rapidly gain items/experience/currency towards a given gameplay target - it's grinding, and it was introduced as a 100% requirement in the GT series with GT5.

Of course you can enjoy it if you wish; nobody's saying it's not possible to, or even wrong to, gain pleasure from lapping Blue Moon Bay in a KTM X-Bow (or other car of your choice!) nearly 300 times to reach GT Sport's Level 50 and grab what's pretty much the last trophy required for the Platinum. You do you, as the saying goes.

It is a slightly different concept than, say, doing 30 hours of lapping as training for a competitive FIA race in order to win it and get to a finals event, because you're not doing so as a tactic to gain items/experience/currency and there's no specific gameplay target.

No I agree, I treat the game like a virtual track day experience rather than all out racing experience. I just enjoy trying different cars round different tracks racing or just doing laps for the fun of that.

Like I said it’s just how I look at it, I compare it to when I actually track my car or bike. I’m doing that for fun and pay for it lol not to take on Hamilton or Rossi :)

Given the somewhat minimal rewards for doing so, it doesn't seem to factor into the game design and economy at all.

That said, I have always said that if you want to direct people to online play (in Sport, a game built on the foundations of online play) it should be incentivised with higher rewards than offline play.

Yes, GT5 was very much the standard bearer for what was to come - although thankfully its level-locking of cars has never been repeated.

However it was very much a lurch in the direction of grinding to a level never seen before in the GT series; previous games were nowhere near as bad on that front.

Incidentally, GT5 was - eventually - nowhere near the longest game in terms of acquiring Platinum; you could practically rocket through the hardest ones (reaching Lv40 in A-Spec, and B-Spec, and raising a Bob with 500 races) pretty easily with Seasonals and a Beginner Course grind. I've seen the 750-hour estimate on the trophy sites, but with the Seasonals in play it's just plain wrong.

GT Sport's three main Sport Mode trophies require a minimum of 108 hours of actual play (of just Daily Race A, if you're really going for it), and the single most effective method of raising your driver level to 50 requires more than 60 hours - although you will gain experience from doing the Sport Mode races and all the other events in the game, which will offset some of that cost. Figure on at least 150 hours just for these trophies.

For direct comparison, it takes 130 hours to raise your driver level from 42 to the maximum 50 (and a gold trophy) in GT Sport. It'd take 17 hours to raise your GT5 level from 0 to the maximum 40 (and a silver trophy).

Of course GT5 is now impossible to Platinum, and GT Sport soon will be too.

You couldn't "platinum" GT4. It predates PSN Trophies by more than four years. In fact it predates PSN by 15 months.

But, and this is pretty crucial, there was enough game there to account for doing everything just once and getting access to pretty much all the content. Grinding - which people did, mainly at Costa di Amalfi, for the sellable prize car (which is no longer a thing) - was more or less optional to get stuff you wanted rather than stuff you needed to complete the game.

In GT4 you could hit 100% in 774 game days without repeating anything, with 500-ish different races. In GT Sport your best approach to hitting 100% (the Platinum trophy) requires you to run the same race nearly 300 times (less any inroads you make in the rest of the gameplay... figure on at least 150). In GT7 it looks like it'll be upped to 500 - although we don't entirely know what's required for "Three Legendary Cars", so that's just an estimate on top of a guess.

For GT1 through GT4, grinding was what you did after you reached 100% if you wanted more stuff. In GT5, and GT6, and GT Sport, and now GT7, grinding is mandatory to complete the game in the first place.
Ok 100% instead of platinum in case of GT4, but the point is, that with little engagement, you would not be able to complete the game, grinding or not.

Samus said this was a first, which it isn't for GT. Grinding has been a part, more or less, since GT5. Haven't played GT6 myself, that is the only version missing in my played GT's.

When you complete the menu books, you have a wide array of cars that you can use in the missions and solo events at all tracks. You don't need many other cars to compete in those events. So the sole reason to grind is to either get all cars collected, or get to platinum. I am grinding to complete my GT3 car collection, so I can have online races with my mates, where we use Gr3 cars. The rest will come automatically with credits gained by racing. If someone does not have the time to race, don't expect to get all cars. That is a given in this game and it has been for several editions. There is no shame in that, nor is it bad game design. PD wants us all to race all the time. Call of Duty wants us to fight all the time. Assassins Creed want you to do everything all the time. It is just gaming. Gaming is not a movie that you watch and be done with it after x hours.

Ok 100% instead of platinum in case of GT4, but the point is, that with little engagement, you would not be able to complete the game, grinding or not.
It's "not". Grinding is not required to reach 100% in GT4 (or GT3, GT2, or GT1). It is required for GT5, GT6, GT Sport, and GT7.
Samus said this was a first, which it isn't for GT. Grinding has been a part, more or less, since GT5. Haven't played GT6 myself, that is the only version missing in my played GT's.
I can't see that anywhere in the post you quoted. He said he's been playing since GT1 and that the games were "not always this grindy and restrictive with credits". As you seem to acknowledge here, it's only since GT5 that it's been the case, so you'd seem to be agreeing that from 1997 to 2010 the games were not "grindy and restrictive with credits", but they have been from 2010 to 2022 - thus the games have "not always" been this way.

Which looks like we're all in agreement here.

The pity is that there's enough content in GT7 to create a 300-hour single-player without repetition (or grinding), rather than a 20-hour single-player with 280 hours of grinding to reach Platinum. Nobody loses out anything my way - there's much more variety of racing, the pace of earning is the same so SIE doesn't miss out on MT income, you can still grind the META if you want - and it'd be a much better game too...

Last edited:
It's "not". Grinding is not required to reach 100% in GT4 (or GT3, GT2, or GT1). It is required for GT5, GT6, GT Sport, and GT7.

I can't see that anywhere in the post you quoted. He said he's been playing since GT1 and that the games were "not always this grindy and restrictive with credits". As you seem to acknowledge here, it's only since GT5 that it's been the case, so you'd seem to be agreeing that from 1997 to 2010 the games were not "grindy and restrictive with credits", but they have been from 2010 to 2022 - thus the games have "not always" been this way.

Which looks like we're all in agreement here.
Well I guess we have different definitions of grinding then. I can remember doing races over and over again to be able to buy the next car or upgrades to be able to tackle the next race/championship in the Pre GT5 times. That to me is also grinding. GT5 did bring it to the next level, sure.

Grinding for me is not a problem. It is to keep peeps playing. And it doesn't matter if you play GT, Assassins Creed, GTA V, Horizon or many other games. They all have mechanics to keep you playing to get to a certain level to complete the game. If you don't have much time, it will take you longer or won't complete at all. That is why we have different difficulty levels, story lines and side quests. The only people who need mtx are those impatient and willing to pay to progress. The only way I pay for mtx is for games that are free-to-play and I don't mind putting some money in the developers pocket. But no way I put hunderds of euro's in any game. Hunderds of hours yes, because to me that is relaxing, doing what I like, gaming.

And that is why I do not like those complaining about grinding in a thread that was started to keep everyone informed about easy ways to make credits fast in game without cheating. Do some races have too high rewards and other too little? Yes. Can that be fixed? Yes. GT Sport was not much to look at when it came out. Online and few single player races. It ended having quite a lot of single player content. I loved those 1 hour/30 laps endurance races with 440k payouts. I would rather do those than 12x an offroad course with 5 minute races and 96k reward per race. GT 7 does not offer those endurance races yet. Patience is virtue i guess.

Well I guess we have different definitions of grinding then.
the raw definition in gaming terms - repeatedly running the same "level" in order to more rapidly gain items/experience/currency towards a given gameplay target
I can remember doing races over and over again to be able to buy the next car or upgrades to be able to tackle the next race/championship in the Pre GT5 times.
You can grind anything in any game for any reason, but in GT4 it was entirely optional to do so. You could complete it to 100% without repeating anything at any point.

The issue is that you cannot do that in GT5, or GT6, or GT Sport, or now GT7. The grind is forced to reach 100% game completion (now signified by the Platinum trophies).

And it's needless in GT7 when there's 97 tracks (some have no races at all) and 424 cars that you could create a 300-hour single player mode from without any repetition at all - instead of a 20-hour single player with 280 hours of money grinding.

Do some races have too high rewards and other too little? Yes. Can that be fixed? Yes. GT Sport was not much to look at when it came out. Online and few single player races. It ended having quite a lot of single player content. I loved those 1 hour/30 laps endurance races with 440k payouts. I would rather do those than 12x an offroad course with 5 minute races and 96k reward per race. GT 7 does not offer those endurance races yet. Patience is virtue i guess.
So we're also in agreement that more variety in races is better than a grind here too.

As for GTS's single-player expansion... it launched with 35ish tracks and 168 cars, and no single player mode at all (missions, licences, Circuit Experience aside). There wasn't the variety of cars or tracks to structure a single player mode around it. Over time it grew to what I'd estimate is 200 hours of single-player races, as more content was added, to about 80 tracks and 340 cars.

GT7's launched with a single player that had a tenth of the play time, despite also launching with more content than GTS ever had. Yes, it can expand and improve, but it's basically launched with more cars/tracks and considerably less driving. It shouldn't need expanding just to match GTS's final breadth!

Last edited:
There is a race at High Speed Ring that pays 97,5K with the clean race bonus and takes just over 6 minutes.

Also the WTC 800 championschip not to bad either. The races take a bit longer but they pay 90K each with clean race bonus and with the champion prize it can total to 600K and takes about an hour. Not the best payout but at least you get some variety.

Wish they brought back the daily login bonus so we can at least double the payout that way.

Last edited:
@Famine, having read everything you have written on this post I have a few questions. If you think the game is such a steaming pile of crap why bother with writing help guides? Hell, why brag about how much time you are spending writing them? The only point you are really getting across is how much the games sucks and that we should all be disappointed in how mishandled the game is. If that’s not the impression you want anyone to have then maybe you should start reconsidering how you are presenting yourself. Your completely negative attitude about GT7 is NOT something I was expecting from an admin of this site.

Last edited:
If that’s not the impression you want anyone to have then maybe you should start reconsidering how you are presenting yourself. Your completely negative attitude about GT7 is NOT something I was expecting from an admin of this site.
lmfao come onnnnn

Apparently a member of the site's staff can't point out (correctly, through their own research) how bad the in game economy is compared to older titles, and how that negatively effects their view on the game?

@Famine, having read everything you have written on this post I have a few questions. If you think the game is such a steaming pile of crap why bother with writing help guides? Hell, why brag about how much time you are spending writing them? The only point you are really getting across is how much the games sucks and that we should all be disappointed in how mishandled the game is. If that’s not the impression you want anyone to have then maybe you should start reconsidering how you are presenting yourself. Your completely negative attitude about GT7 is NOT something I was expecting from an admin of this site.
Some pretty interesting interpretations across the board there.

It's literally his job.

Ah, that strange confusion people have that you can't simultaneously like and enjoy something whilst also criticising it.

I've gotten Fishermans Ranch down to 3:15.5 with a Focus. What are your times, guys?
I usually get around 3:14 with the stock Focus. What I consider my faster times are 3:13's and I've managed to do a couple stray 3:12.9's in there.

Also it looks like they patched the 205 Turbo driver from crashing on the jumps. Just did the race about 10 times and he didn't wreck once. Consistently gets about a 3:21-23 time every race. Pre patch he crashed 3/5 races on average but when he didn't crash was a lot faster that his post-patch time.

I get the criticism, the game does have its faults. Overall it’s been a far more enjoyable experience than GT Sport ever was for me. Is it grindy, well sure it is, but having spent 650 hours playing Elite Dangerous the grind in this game isn’t even close to the same level.

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but does lowering PP result in a higher payout? If not, that is a pretty big nerf.

I get why they're not being generous -- the amount of content here seems lower than past titles so they want to string it out. But I don't think more grind is the answer here. Getting creative with options available would be much better.

Just my $0.02.

It wouldn't be so bad if race payouts were determined by distance driven instead of whatever arbitrary system they have right now. This way you can race your way to the credit cap with whatever car on whatever circuit instead of grinding Fishermans 500 times.

It wouldn't be so bad if race payouts were determined by distance driven instead of whatever arbitrary system they have right now. This way you can race your way to the credit cap with whatever car on whatever circuit instead of grinding Fishermans 500 times.
Wrong. Because then Route X and Daytona that allow the highest rate of distance covered in the shortest amount of time, would still dwarf all other payouts, and you'd complain that the 'meta' 'forced' you to grind these 2 events in order to min/max, just like Fisherman's Ranch currently does.

I fully support balancing out the payouts of current races in GT7, but your idea is just as busted and will cause just as many complaints.

They don't do that because then you could create a custom race at Route X and leave your car driving by itself for a few hours and easily earn some good credits, and I guess that affects their bottom line.

Wrong. Because then Route X and Daytona that allow the highest rate of distance covered in the shortest amount of time, would still dwarf all other payouts, and you'd complain that the 'meta' 'forced' you to grind these 2 events in order to min/max, just like Fisherman's Ranch currently does.

I fully support balancing out the payouts of current races in GT7, but your idea is just as busted and will cause just as many complaints.
Indeed, it needs to be done by time, not distance. You could never get it exact because of the loose restrictions on events resulting in varying times and of course skill levels but you could get it a lot closer than it is now. Probably have to based it on the best AI time.

So they would have to decide on a base rate per hour for each event and calculate the actual payouts from that. So for example if they want it to be 100,000 per hour for one event.

If race A takes 10 minutes then the payout would be 100,000/60*10 = 16,666. Round it to 16,500.
If race B takes 8 minutes then the payout would be 100,000/60*8 = 13,333. Road it to 13,500.

And so on.

That would go a long way to making the grind more bearable.

What i would like instead of repeating same race for half an hour to actually have a half an hour or even an hour race with the same payout, it's more fluent and less tiring, instead you get this 20-30 minutes races that some give 5k or 97k, who designed this, absolutely targeted so weak people will go for mtx which are in a full priced game, if it it was ftp I'd understand, in other words unacceptable oh and sp is not available offline lol

Last edited:
Im driving what I want, where I want this time... Still scarred by my horrific Blue Moon Bay GTS grinding, pure ground hog day punishment for several bang average unicorns...
The worst part for me is that I've been doing that blue moon race non stop and saved for months to reach 20mil and get my beloved Jaguar XJ13.....and as of now I have 18mil. Never bought that car. All time wasted. GT Sport uninstalled to make space for GT7 and obviously credits cannot be transferred.

Last edited:
Indeed, it needs to be done by time, not distance. You could never get it exact because of the loose restrictions on events resulting in varying times and of course skill levels but you could get it a lot closer than it is now. Probably have to based it on the best AI time.

So they would have to decide on a base rate per hour for each event and calculate the actual payouts from that. So for example if they want it to be 100,000 per hour for one event.

If race A takes 10 minutes then the payout would be 100,000/60*10 = 16,666. Round it to 16,500.
If race B takes 8 minutes then the payout would be 100,000/60*8 = 13,333. Road it to 13,500.

And so on.

That would go a long way to making the grind more bearable.
I agree except the payout should be around 1-2 million per hour imo

Payouts are all over the place. Struggle for 35 minutes on Tsukaba in the rain for 15K, or do an easy drag race in 10 seconds, 40K. (You can only do those once, no pay second time)

Want to drive a GR.3 car, those are 600K a piece, car + tires.
That's over 60 last to first races against pro AI on the N24...

Payouts are all over the place. Struggle for 35 minutes on Tsukaba in the rain for 15K, or do an easy drag race in 10 seconds, 40K. (You can only do those once, no pay second time)

Want to drive a GR.3 car, those are 600K a piece, car + tires.
That's over 60 last to first races against pro AI on the N24...

That's true, there's no consistency in the payouts.

Back