The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
In every forum I have ever been in to do with racing, there is atleast 1 person who has an irrational hate of Hamilton, this is no exception.

So, Lewis Hamilton has made his biggest mistakes since 2007 Australia. Rosberg since Bahrain 2006. Alonso since Australia 2001. Once again you've tried to argue your point with hate rather than fact.
But they have also had their biggest achievements since then. Palmer hasn't.

here in the Motorsports forum he is the number one Brit Hater by far
My dislike of Palmer has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with the way he is over-rated, under-performing and little more than a mediocre driver whose daddy had enough money and connections to entertain his dream of being a racing driver. He contributes nothing to the grid, will not be missed when he leaves, and until then he is a waste of a seat that could go to someone with talent.

I like how @prisonermonkeys is an advocate of tolerance towards those from a different country in the O&CE forum but here in the Motorsports forum he is the number one Brit Hater by far.

Entertainment.
In his defense, the BBC and SKY feeds are so pro-British that it's impossible as a non-Brit to not to grow to dislike British drivers. Hamilton could murder a puppy on live TV and they'd praise it.

In his defense, the BBC and SKY feeds are so pro-British that it's impossible as a non-Brit to not to grow to dislike British drivers. Hamilton could murder a puppy on live TV and they'd praise it.
I don't get any of that on Channel 4. They are pro British, of course, but they try to be reasonably neural.

It is not a defence of his attitude by the way. He and he alone is solely responsible for what he posts.

Hamilton could murder a puppy on live TV and they'd praise it.
"And your thoughts on what we've just seen, Johnny?"

"Well, Simon, there are some people out there who would object to it, and since we're being told that the puppy's suffering was both prolonged and immense, I think that maybe with some time to consider, we can see where those critics are coming from. But let's call a spade a spade - the puppy had it coming."

"Hubbarumphumpf hubbarumphumpf humphubbarumphumpf."

"Thank you for that insight, Damon. Have you had your hair cut?"

"Humpf."

"It looks good. You were saying, Johnny?"

"Yes, clearly the puppy had it coming. It looks a lot like Roscoe, which means that the team might have mistaken it for Roscoe and given it affection that should have been Roscoe's, and we all know that if people don't love Roscoe hard enough, Hamilton's MGU-H is zero-point-three percent more likely to fail. Now I'm told that Jenson Button was willing to adopt it - and at the risk of editorialising, he's a traitorous bastard for reasons that I have never quite figured out ..."

"Humpf!"

"... But considering what's at stake here, Hamilton clearly didn't have a choice but to beat the puppy to death with his steering wheel."

Pat Symonds says that Williams "is ready to recruit a star driver":

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125768/williams-ready-for-a-star-driver--symonds

One can only wonder how Massa and Bottas are feeling right now.

I'm also curious as to who they might be eyeing off. Replacing both Massa and Bottas at the same time seems unwise, and it seems that Massa's days are numbered; it's been speculated that he already knows what he's going to be doing in 2017 and that it (probably) won't be Formula One.

If they do replace someone, Pascal Wehrlein seems to be the best choice. If Renault get Sergio Pérez, that's going to make things interesting because Wehrlein would potentially be a good fit for either Williams or Force India, which means that there's going to be a pretty nice seat up for grabs. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Ocon gets one and Wehrlein the other.

One can only wonder how Massa and Bottas are feeling right now.

Considering the interest apparently shown in other teams to get Bottas onboard, I wouldn't be surprised if they were talking purely about Massa. I've been shocked by F1 in the past though, and maybe Williams will pull a Toro Rosso - You've had a few years to get us at the front, now it is someone elses turn.

IMO, Massa has always been a solid points gatherer but isn't going to win a team races or championships. Possibly even 2008 was Massa stepping up in the fastest car where Raikkonen went missing.

Considering the interest apparently shown in other teams to get Bottas onboard,
Popular opinion has it that Bottas' stock has really fallen. He has admitted that Ferrari sizing him up was a bit of a distraction, but he hasn't shown the promise that drew Ferrari's eye in the first place since they passed him over.

I have heard it suggested that Williams could promote Lance Stroll straight out of European Formula 3. Conventional wisdom has it that he would go into GP2 with a view to stepping up to Formula One in 2018 or 2019, but apparently his management is concerned if he doesn't perform it could really hurt his chances of securing a Formula One seat.

I can't see Williams cutting Bottas loose; if he leaves, it will be because he is lured away. Renault are said to be looking at him. So I wonder if we could see Wehrlein and Stroll at Williams in 2017; it would be a huge risk, but it would certainly be a fascinating line-up.

At least in Wehrlein they would have a driver with Formula 1 experience. No reason a driver can't now jump straight to the top (Verstappen and Bottas have shown this) but they need to be alongside a known second driver to develop the car technically.

I guess Bottas hasn't managed to drag the same results from the Williams that he did a few years back, but I thought the Williams itself was much to blame since they appear to falling down towards the midfield battle and even towards the tail end of that at times. Having good straightline speed alone doesn't have the same advantage it used to with both the Ferrari and Renault engines steady improvements.

I thought the Williams itself was much to blame since they appear to falling down towards the midfield battle and even towards the tail end of that at times
They have tended to yo-yo a bit in recent years. I noticed it when Rosberg was racing for them; one year they'd be quick, then they'd be nowhere the next, and then they'd be quick again. The trend has stabilised in recent years, but now they appear to be going into a longer cycle: a few quick seasons, then a few off years. They seem to be at a complete loss when it comes to development - they just can't crack the top three, and have no idea how to get there, so they just throw everything at the car and hope something works.

I have heard it suggested that Williams could promote Lance Stroll straight out of European Formula 3. Conventional wisdom has it that he would go into GP2 with a view to stepping up to Formula One in 2018 or 2019, but apparently his management is concerned if he doesn't perform it could really hurt his chances of securing a Formula One seat.
His management are concerned that Stroll might not look so good when he doesn't have by far the best team in the series focusing solely on his championship bid and when he doesn't have three subservient teammates moving over when desired? Colour me shocked.

A curious rumour: Helmut Marko apparently wants to keep Daniil Kvyat.

I wonder if this is because of a lack of confidence in the junior drivers, or because they want to build Toro Rosso up and he knows Kvyat can run in a top team.

His management are concerned that Stroll might not look so good when he doesn't have by far the best team in the series focusing solely on his championship bid and when he doesn't have three subservient teammates moving over when desired? Colour me shocked.
I think it's more a concern that because GP2 is a multi-year campaign, a disappointing maiden season could be a real setback.

It's a random guy on Reddit who "knows a guy" so I mean, big grain of salt, but:

I know a guy in the Williams factory who has apparently seen Perez and Button in for a seat fitting in the last few days.

I'm not sure how much I can give away without jeopardising anyone or anything so I'm trying to keep it kinda vague, but this is the info I have. It is not a wind-up, joke or karma-hunting-lie.

Interesting!

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/4yzsfq/silly_season_perez_button_visit_williams_factory

It's a random guy on Reddit who "knows a guy" so I mean, big grain of salt
That's curious because I have heard from a similarly-questionable source that Button and Pérez didn't work well together at McLaren. It apparently wasn't so much conflict between them, but a lack of chemistry.

People can change in 3/4 years.
Oh, sure - but Williams are looking for the last little push that they need to break into the front-runners while the sport undergoes a significant overhaul of the sporting regulations. There's a lot at stake, so why jeopardise that by completely changing their driver line-up and taking two drivers who (reportedly) don't work well together?

Interesting comment from Toto Wolff in the Thursday press conference: he will find a seat for Stoffel Vandoorne if McLaren do not. I don't think much will come of it, because I think it's pretty much an open secret that Vandoorne will race with McLaren (and the team would simply be keeping quiet to allow Button the chance to sort his future out), but it's a curious proposition if he does not.

Fernando Alonso also remarked that he doesn't think Formula One is as much fun as it was a decade ago, and while he'll give the 2017 cars a chance, he'll likely retire at the end of the season if they're no fun. That would put McLaren in a sticky situation if they release Button for Vandoorne, because then Vandoorne will lead the team with just one year's experience to his name (which he should be more than capable of) and a vacant second seat with no immediately obvious candidate to fill it (unless Nyck de Vries improves significantly).

A team like McLaren has the pulling power to not worry about two young drivers. I'm sure they'd be able to coax someone like Raikkonen, Bottas or Grosjean if they wanted.

A team like McLaren has the pulling power to not worry about two young drivers. I'm sure they'd be able to coax someone like Raikkonen, Bottas or Grosjean if they wanted.
I can't imagine that Räikkönen would be around much longer. And I doubt that McLaren would want a driver that the big teams consciously passed on. I'd say their best bet is to pick up a talented driver from GP2.

Well could Matsu****a be an option with the Honda partnership?

EDIT: nvm. Looks like he isn't doing too great in GP2

EDIT: nvm. Looks like he isn't doing too great in GP2
Arguably, dominating GP2 isn't the only indicator of a driver's skill. Look at Pierre Gasly and Alex Lynn, both of whom are very quick in a straight line. They're great on paper, but as soon as they get caught in traffic, they go nowhere fast. Compare that to Antonio Giovinazzi and Sergey Sirotkin, who are quick, but can also fight wheel-to-wheel. They're much more rounded in their racecraft, even if they don't necessarily dominate, and so would probably be a better fit for a midfield Formula One team.

That said, you're right in noting that Matsu****a isn't doing well. His connection to McLaren seems to be by virtue of Honda; ART Grand Prix are running in red and white as opposed to McLaren black this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back