The February update discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota GB liked this tweet + Reply
Could this be a hint that the new Supra is coming to GT?

Off-topic sorry, but I sooo love when a brand or a developer (the guy who's job is to reply) talks with the commenters! :embarrassed: Even the NFS devs talks with their commenters... Once PD did it.. ONCE!

Off-topic sorry, but I sooo love when a brand or a developer (the guy who's job is to reply) talks with the commenters! :embarrassed: Even the NFS devs talks with their commenters... Once PD did it.. ONCE!
You haven't seen the Twitter of Sonic, they're absolutely funny, and once time, he traded memes with Nintendo.

Maybe I'm in a different timezone, but for me the Kaz tweet dropped on Sat 20th Jan for the following weeks Jan update.

So until this time tomorrow, new cars next week are still possible.

So, considering that we re 25 cars left of the 50 mentioned in the PS Blog and that it is really difficult that we got an update for February this means that we are going to get 1 big update for march or 2 updates within the month (in that case I think it would be one during the Geneva motor show and another one at the end of the month)

Maybe I'm in a different timezone, but for me the Kaz tweet dropped on Sat 20th Jan for the following weeks Jan update.
In December, PD announced a content update on December 8th - two days after the v1.07 "emergency update" - and delivered it the following day. In fact it also delivered the emergency update the day after the announcement of the emergency update.
So until this time tomorrow, new cars next week are still possible.
Anything's possible. There may be an announcement on February 28th and it happens the same day. Or PD may announce it after the fact. Or there may be three updates between now and March 1st...

... but that doesn't change the fact that there isn't a February update scheduled that anyone - outside of PD/Sony - is aware of.

haha I would love 25x 21 Million credit cars to drop in the next patch, it would break the internet.

Edit : ... but that doesn't change the fact that there is or isn't a February update scheduled that anyone - outside of PD/Sony - is aware of.

So, considering that we re 25 cars left of the 50 mentioned in the PS Blog and that it is really difficult that we got an update for February this means that we are going to get 1 big update for march or 2 updates within the month (in that case I think it would be one during the Geneva motor show and another one at the end of the month)
Or the target gets missed.

Its a possibility that can't be ruled out, ambitious targets for DLC are something PD have missed before.

Or there will be a delay. You know, like often happened before.

Remember how some of the cars in update 1.11 showed up as prizes in seasonals? The current seasonal prizes include the 8C competizione, and the Sprinter Trueno AE86. May or may not be a hint but I felt it was worth sharing.

Remember how some of the cars in update 1.11 showed up as prizes in seasonals? The current seasonal prizes include the 8C competizione, and the Sprinter Trueno AE86. May or may not be a hint but I felt it was worth sharing.
If that is true than OH YES , but you know keep expectations low so it will not lead to dissapointment. Still hoping for an LFA sometime but eh who knows.

Edit: now that you mention the sprinter trueno (it is a standard car in GT5/6) so maybe just maaybeee......

Please let this be true

I agree, that there probably won't be an update this month, but a larger one in March... Hopefully with Circuit de la Sarthe in two versions!?

It's actually sound like something that could be added
59909.jpg

yes slip, you are right it takes a whole lot longer to model each car now, but also, they have a waaaay bigger budget.

Where did you hear this?

I think people have a misconception of how a game's budget is spent. A game's budget is a mix of labor costs and marketing costs (more or less, but those are the two big ones) Licensing is part of marketing costs in most cases. Testing is part of the cost of labor (a less expensive and temporary cost, but still it's labor)

PD/Sony are tight lipped on their staff and the only thing I have ever seen is Wikipedia which states that they are about 200 people. I don't know if this is accurate, if this is permanent staff levels, if they scale up and down, but let's take it as a fact for the sake of discussion. I haven't seen or heard anything about them getting bigger all of a sudden, necessitating the "waaay bigger budget" that you mention.

The average cost of a development team for a console game is about $15000 per man, per month. I know this from when I was in development and it was $15000 back then. Let's assume it's still the case (FYI, this includes pay, benefits, cost of electricity, heat, equipment, etc.)

200 people X $15000/man/month = $3,000,000.00/month in labour costs X 12 months = $36,000,000 a year to keep PD churning.

Since the release of GT6 (end of 2013), let's count the years (GT6 came in December and GTS came in November, so let's just round that off to a full calendar year).

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...4 years * $36mil = $144,000,000.

At $60 they have to sell 2.4 million copies to break even on labor costs alone.

If anything, what's happened with the game is consistent with a budget cut. If they cut their staff, and took longer to make less content, they could recoup their costs on 2 million sales.

If that is true than OH YES , but you know keep expectations low so it will not lead to dissapointment. Still hoping for an LFA sometime but eh who knows.

Edit: now that you mention the sprinter trueno (it is a standard car in GT5/6) so maybe just maaybeee......

Please let this be true
The AE86 was also one of the few standards in GT6 to have an updated model, these cars were known as semi premium and included cars such as the C10 and C110 GT-Rs, the Fairlady Zs up to the Z31, the 510, the RUFs and the Isuzu Piazza.

I'm just dumb struck that with absolutely no confirmation of any due update for February this thread has managed to reach 16 pages. 16 pages, of largely, utter drivel. I'm actually now praying for the update myself just so that this nonsense ends! (But then someone will no doubt instantly start a similar junk thread for the next update!)

The AE86 was also one of the few standards in GT6 to have an updated model, these cars were known as semi premium and included cars such as the C10 and C110 GT-Rs, the Fairlady Zs up to the Z31, the 510, the RUFs and the Isuzu Piazza.
Crappy standard semi standard call it what you want none of them had fully modelled interiors.

Where did you hear this?

I think people have a misconception of how a game's budget is spent. A game's budget is a mix of labor costs and marketing costs (more or less, but those are the two big ones) Licensing is part of marketing costs in most cases. Testing is part of the cost of labor (a less expensive and temporary cost, but still it's labor)

PD/Sony are tight lipped on their staff and the only thing I have ever seen is Wikipedia which states that they are about 200 people. I don't know if this is accurate, if this is permanent staff levels, if they scale up and down, but let's take it as a fact for the sake of discussion. I haven't seen or heard anything about them getting bigger all of a sudden, necessitating the "waaay bigger budget" that you mention.

The average cost of a development team for a console game is about $15000 per man, per month. I know this from when I was in development and it was $15000 back then. Let's assume it's still the case (FYI, this includes pay, benefits, cost of electricity, heat, equipment, etc.)

200 people X $15000/man/month = $3,000,000.00/month in labour costs X 12 months = $36,000,000 a year to keep PD churning.

Since the release of GT6 (end of 2013), let's count the years (GT6 came in December and GTS came in November, so let's just round that off to a full calendar year).

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...4 years * $36mil = $144,000,000.

At $60 they have to sell 2.4 million copies to break even on labor costs alone.

If anything, what's happened with the game is consistent with a budget cut. If they cut their staff, and took longer to make less content, they could recoup their costs on 2 million sales.

Remember Sony Interactive’s market cap is almost $64 billion. Sixty. Four. Billion. Dollars.

SO the yearly expense estimate you arrived at; that is less than 1/10th of 1%. The operating expenses of propping up PD is not even material from an accounting perspective on Sony’s books.

👍

Edit: just for fun I looked up Sony’s (SNE) operating expenses for 2017. They were 14.8 billion. So if it costs 36 million annually to operate PD, that’s a measly 0.003 of 1% of SNE’s total operating expenses.

PD is an itty bitty marketing footnote that helps Sony sell console bundles. Nothing more. Never forget that.

Last edited:
Crappy standard semi standard call it what you want none of them had fully modelled interiors.
That's not my point, "semi premium" was a term coined by this community to distinguish these outliers from the straight outta the PS2 standards.

Last edited:

And what does that have to do with what he was saying?

I'm just dumb struck that with absolutely no confirmation of any due update for February this thread has managed to reach 16 pages. 16 pages, of largely, utter drivel. I'm actually now praying for the update myself just so that this nonsense ends! (But then someone will no doubt instantly start a similar junk thread for the next update!)
Whoa there!! Did you see my post about what's coming? I'm already looking forward to November's update. Over heard there is a midget on a bike.

Whoa there!! Did you see my post about what's coming? I'm already looking forward to November's update. Over heard there is a midget on a bike.

Now this I can get excited about!

Tourist Trophy 2 for vertically challenged people confirmed! ...just kidding

I REPEAT!!!!

And finally ... There has NEVER EVER EVER been an official comment regarding ANY update in February. EVER. All that was said was "around 50 cars up to the end of March". We have had 25 to now. Every single other comment is speculation, albeit based on December and January updates. Nothing is late. Nothing is announced except for around 25 cars up to the end of March. That is it.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant, but people are assuming and we know what that makes out of u and me when you assume :P. Thank you.

Please READ!

PD is an itty bitty marketing footnote that helps Sony sell console bundles. Nothing more. Never forget that.

I have always maintained that the series' only reason to exist is to move consoles. That said, no company tosses money out there without care for where it's spent and why. I'm just saying that I never heard of any increase in budget at all.

Keep in mind, this is year five and the PS4 has been selling just fine without GT, so even that "itty bitty" $36mil/year is money spent for no good reason at this time. Given the scaled back scope of the game, the budget either held station or got scaled back.

All I am saying is that we've got what we've got and I am not putting any hope on a game changing additions. We'll probably get the missing premium cars from GT6 and maybe a half dozen new cars until the end of the year. After that, I don't expect to see any new content.

I have always maintained that the series' only reason to exist is to move consoles. That said, no company tosses money out there without care for where it's spent and why. I'm just saying that I never heard of any increase in budget at all.

Keep in mind, this is year five and the PS4 has been selling just fine without GT, so even that "itty bitty" $36mil/year is money spent for no good reason at this time. Given the scaled back scope of the game, the budget either held station or got scaled back.

All I am saying is that we've got what we've got and I am not putting any hope on a game changing additions. We'll probably get the missing premium cars from GT6 and maybe a half dozen new cars until the end of the year. After that, I don't expect to see any new content.
Oh definitely I agree. I always support consumers voting with their wallets. At the end of the day, I expect nothing more from a game beyond what is on the golden master, even in the age of digital post release updates.

It’s not worth the time and effort and stress of thinking about what the post release support MIGHT be like. At least for me as a consumer.

I wonder what reason you want rain for? what camera view you use? what aids you use?
In dirt rally VR I hate it when there is rain, sleet or snow, because visibility is ruined. In the UK I experience enough rain, I want sunny weather.

I am all for a wet post-rain track, with strategic puddles and dry racing line, but it's near the bottom of my list of wants.

Out of curiosity, what did you pick up to replace it?
Traded it and two older games for PCars 2 and WRC 7. Trade in value matched price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back